Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Good Enough
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

As much fun as it has been to speculate, guess, flame, rag, rant, rave, drool, swear, etc., I have been doing my own style of informal surveilance of the rest of the world concerning Van Halen. Outside of the several hundreds gathered here, huddled together like one GIANT football team (heh heh), there is another world out there. A world where the current workings (or lack thereof) of our favorite band is the FURTHEST thing from their minds. While we sit here, straining our eyes, losing sleep, frantically searching for ANYTHING, everyone else seems to be getting on with their lives. They aren't even remotely aware of what we think (hope?) is going on behind closed doors.

It's been slowly hitting me how much in the minority we are. Now, try for a moment to have NO CLUE that ANYTHING is in the works....imagine, you're out buying dog food, taking out the trash, stuck in traffic, shaking hands with the Dutch boy, putting the moves on that woman in the amazing skirt, taking a leak, boiling water (not for any reason, but because it seems to be the right thing to do), counting how many licks it takes to get to the center of a Tootsie Roll Pop, WHATEVER NORMAL PEOPLE DO. And then, out of the blue, like some divine intervention finally took place, when you least expect it, there it is: You just heard Van Halen with David Lee Roth on the radio with a new song! How many people will actually check to see if they're dreaming? How much body hair will become erect? Chills down spines? People with weak bladders looking for a towel? Howard Stern and Marilyn Manson would KILL for that kind of shock value.

Let me tell you a little story...when I was 10, I wanted a 10-speed for Christmas. Around December 14th, my dad sent me to his workroom to get him a tool, and at the last second, said "no, I'll get it." (dad was never one to get own his tools when the boy was around to do it for him) A light went off--Why would he do that? Why was his workroom locked all of a sudden? Being 10, too smart for my own good, and impetuous, I figured a way in. Lo and behold, there they were---ALL of my sister's and my Christmas presents->not yet wrapped, poorly hidden. 10 days before the holiday, and I knew what I was getting. Brilliant little brother that I was, I filled my sister in on the news. At the moment I FOUND the stuff (bike included) I was shaking....thrilled...but that wore off quickly, and Christmas was a bummer. FINDING my presents was a bigger thrill than GETTING them. When Mom and Dad asked why I was so bummed out, I told them what I found. (not a good idea! they were really hurt) I was just a stupid kid, I guess, and I thought I learned my lesson. Did I?

Well, 17.5 years later, I find myself in the VHLINKS, looking for my new bike. I wonder-->if I find it now, will I be as excited when I get it for real?

You see, the rest of the world out there is like a naive, soon to be surprised kid on Christmas morning--->they're going to really be surprised and thrilled when the 'gift' comes. But what about us? Will we still appreciate it as much? Somehow, I think we treasure each rumor so much because deep down, we doubt its authenticity. Like Indiana Jones---it would be nice to have the Ark, but don't dare look inside....

So, we're sitting here waiting for the mail on what seems to be a perpetual Sunday...answer this: Do we REALLY want to know now? Or are we too jaded at this point to get the full effect of what is (hopefully) to transpire? In all honesty, I think it's too late for us....we're EXPECTING it. (whatever 'it' is, we're looking for it) The outside world, however, will be ambushed like Bonnie and Clyde. Please, I make this request in earnest: If ANYTHING solid shows up here, let's be adults and honor the kid in everyone else-->keep it here, bite our tongues, and let's preserve the amount of joy and elation that will be felt by the 'outside' world. I think this is how the band, WB, Sherman, Brad, Grant, etc., would want it to be. Let's not steal the big show just to be the one who told everybody first. That's why people hate reporters.....and tattletales....

I ruined my sister's Christmas that year, too.

With that said, let's get the insider information cooking--I'll keep quiet about it. Anybody with me??

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm to tired and thats to long.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In a Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

02.27.09 @ 02:39 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Makes sense to me dude. It'll probably be christmas before we get our bike anyway at this rate

------------------
    Leading the Slawterhouse Security on Holiday...

Imperial Fascist Overlord Down In Flames's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

@
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Rafter, ROTFLMAO!!

TDR, I really, really hope you're wrong. LOL.

And (Honest)Abe VH, great post man. I love posts like yours.

I like your message and where you went with it.

The line about the "tootsie roll pop" made me laugh out loud. (I wish I had said it. )

Yeah, we ARE in our own little VH world, aren't we?

I like it that way, though.

------------------
    "Sayonara, Suicide, Hari-Kari, Kamikaze, you won't see another evening, bye-bye..."

Official Bartender Of VHLinks

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

When It's Love
    Last Online

11.22.16 @ 06:52 AM
    Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts

Great post Abe, i think you hit the nail on the head.

I will try to keep it hush hush, but can not promise anything

------------------
    Up Front Fanatics

I never met a man does'nt owe somebody somethin

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I only think we'll be disappointed if the kill isn't better than the hunt. We're on the hunt now, the kill will be hearing the new music, and I'm sure the kill will be great.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think the only way we'll be "bummed" is if when were expecting the shiney new 10 speed bike and all we get is a old rusty tricycle!

------------------
    MightyVanHalen's Pictures http://www.geocities.com/mightyvanhalen/index.html

"No man is happy without a delusion of some kind. Delusions are as necessary to our happiness as realities." -Christian Nestell Bovee, American author (1820-1904).

Eruption
    Last Online

08.02.17 @ 01:39 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

hey abevanhalen , RU DAVE ?

------------------
    IN 1984 VH JUMPED PANAMA TOPPED JIMMY AND DROPPED DEAD LEGS?..I'LL WAIT.

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I hate to disappoint any of you, but alas, I'm just another one of you...a fan. A LONG-WINDED fan, but a fan nonetheless. Nothing more, nothing less.