Register
    Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:20 AM
    Liked 527 Times in 242 Posts

How would everyone have responded to the the songs on VH3 if they did it under an assumed named?

Most flamed it because they didn't think it was "Van halen", but if they called it the Gary Cherone Project or whatever, I think the response would have been better.

Just because it said Van Halen on the album, people immediately bashed it because there was no Dave or Sam.

Even when 5150 came out alot of people wanted the band to change their name. But to Eddie's credit he said "fuck that my name is Van Halen and this is mine & my brother's band." ( not verbatim)

[img]smilies/devil.gif[/img] [img]smilies/devil.gif[/img]
    'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.

Sinner's Swing! 79th and Sunset's Avatar
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 12:35 PM
    Liked 16 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member
    I would have been more receptive to both Hagar and Cherone if they would have changed the name.

I am not "bashing" either era, its all about what you like and dont like. I personally think the name Van Halen should be for Dave, Alex, Mike, and Ed.

Again, not a "bash" on any era, just that they should not have used the name Van Halen.

Peace !!

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Considering he only lasted one album, they should have called the group, "Van Halen with special guest Gary Cherone." Okay, maybe it would still be considered a Van Halen album, but at least you could tell the detracters it was something they did, "For the hell of it."
    "Just once I'd like to do the right thing and not get punished for it."

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

If it had been called "Edward Van Halen Solo" it probably wouldn't be savaged so much, but I doubt it would have sold much better.

Personally, I don't think you can discount what the name Van Halen means to Edward and Alex. They loved their father deeply, and I think they are aware that all the success they had was helped by their fathers' faith in them. And it was a musical success that Jan Van Halen never tasted, and I think that drove Eddie and Alex as well.

That's their name, the name of their father, and they fought and struggled to make that a household name. Dave was very instrumental in that rise as well, but his choosing to leave was entirely his own doing. It was absolutely VH's right to continue on with the name they helped make known.

It's funny, at least around here, you read topics and comments about the Rolling Stones, The Scorpions, Def Leppard etc and you never see anyone whining or creating (so called [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]) clever new names for later versions of those bands. Why is that?

For me, Van Halen 3 is a Van Halen album. Love it or hate it, it will remain in the VH catalogue. It can't be taken back, and it shouldn't be. I've already got Fair Warning, I don't need Fair Warning Part 2. I've already got 5150, I don't need 5150 Part 2.