all
    Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I didn't know there were any problems!
    Where can I find the story?
    If this is true, I think it's pretty sad. After coming through all the shit (drinking, affair etc) it seems like they had the whole 'soul mate' thing happening.
    The rumor: W.D.F.A-We Don't Fuck Around.<br />The truth: W.D.F.A-We Disregard Fans Abundently

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It's strange... Val supported all the years when Ed was having alcohol problems... Ed cleans up, and then they split... Maybe Ed's personality changed drastically? Who knows... I know it could be other millions of factors as well, but that came to my mind just now...

[ October 22, 2002, 01:50 PM: Message edited by: kissero70 ]

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:48 AM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

Eds a dickhead now, just my opinion. You can see the nasty metamorphosis to a bitter, pissy cynic in the 96' interviews from a happy go lucky really fun guy six or seven years prior.
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Balance/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/5150/Don\'t Tell Me
    Last Online

04.29.16 @ 07:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by seenbad:
    Eds a dickhead now, just my opinion. You can see the nasty metamorphosis to a bitter, pissy cynic in the 96' interviews from a happy go lucky really fun guy six or seven years prior.
    Ed was such a dick on the Howard Stern Show. He was so weird. He had to be high or something.

Remember interviews with Ed from the 5150 days.......or hell even Balance......I mean how did Ed go from this goatee wearing guy jokin' with Sam to a beret wearing guy who's found his "soulmate" with Gary.

He quit drinking with the help of a therapist. I think this therapist turned Ed onto a whole nother dimension in life. He looked at things differently. He started thinking about his surroundings. He no longer live for Right Now.....but seemed to be more contrived in his thinking and I think "3" showed this side of Ed that's not really all that intersting.
    Actually I think most of us are Dave, Sam, and Mike fans. There's just a small group of people who have strange allegiances and like to get into petty pissing contests that I can't believe everyone on this site isn't bored of. - Brett

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

So This Is Love?
    Last Online

12.07.17 @ 05:24 PM
    Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts

Originally posted by jimmy:
    Ed was such a dick on the Howard Stern Show. He was so weird. He had to be high or something.
    Which interview are you talking about? It can't have been in the past 3 or 4 years, right?
    "The large print giveth and the small print taketh away" - Tom Waits

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by seenbad:
    As bad as it sounds I tend to agree.
    I once heard that whatever age you start abusing any substance, that's the age you resume from when you stop.
    Didn't Ed's dad start him on the piss around 12yrs old?
    I mean, a lot of his decisions and the way way he handled Dave and Sam seemed pretty childish to me.
    Even cheating on his wife was justified by being in the middle of a 'boozy haze'.
    Mabey it's time the guy grew up, pulled his head out of the sand and stop using the excuse that Jack Daniels stole his balls 30 odd years ago.
    Now he's smoking again after a cancer scare that was directly related to smoking! The cat has the responsibility to his son to Stop!
    Then there's the responsibilty to us, the fans.
    He put himself in the public eye and owes us some sort of explaination as to what's next!
    If he wants to go play golf and hang up the guitar, fair enough, but for christ's sake TELL US!
    Dude, WE paid for your house on the hill!

All we've ever seen of Ed is the drunk version of him, I wonder if now that we're seeing the 'real' Ed, he's basically not a nice person.

Sorry, I'm not ragging on VH, but what he's doing is not cool!

[ October 22, 2002, 07:59 PM: Message edited by: sean112 ]
    The rumor: W.D.F.A-We Don't Fuck Around.<br />The truth: W.D.F.A-We Disregard Fans Abundently

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

Donor

I don't tend to agree with you that he owes us anything. I don't see it from the perspective that we paid for his house on the hill, I see it as he has a fantastic gift, and knows how to utilize it to amass wealth. Good for him. However, it would seem that anybody who has a desire for stardom and achieves it by accumulating a following should have the decency from that perspective to say hi now and again. I can agree about that for sure. He knows a handfull of people are and have been very curious for the last four years or so what he has been up to. Very curious. Maybe he just wants nothing to do with people at this point. If thats the case then, he is doing pretty good. His fans are dropping like flies.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Good point.
    What I'm trying to say though is that Ed seems to have a bad habit off avoiding responsibilty.
    I see what you're saying about oweing us nothing, but I've followed the band since I was a kid, spent what little money I had to buy the records (remember them?) and from a fan's point of view, I consider that loyalty! Our word of mouth has given them free promotion and boosted their following.
    How many bands scream out that 'it's all about the fans'? Even in the LWOAN video Sammy tells the crowd that 5150 going no.1 is thanks to them as much as anyone!
    They even acknowledge it!
    As I said, my post is mainly directed at the irresponsible way he is acting at the moment, and the fact is HE didn't amase his wealth, his manager did it for him, his wife supported him, his band played with him and we bought it.
    He owes someone !

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

Donor

heh heh I hear ya dude.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:36 AM
    Liked 84 Times in 35 Posts

I'm looking for a rumor here and dont see one , so..... I think I will send this to Opp/Spec. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.

Baluchitherium VanHalenMetallica's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

VH 1,Balance,FW,1984,FUCK
    Favorite VH Song

Not a big Van Halen 3 fan
    Last Online

04.30.08 @ 04:06 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It's a sad thing to see,after 21 years and then all of a sudden,to end so strangely with no explanation sounds weird.They buy a new house a few days before and then a few days later it says Eddie and Val split.It's like a mood swing all of a sudden.Maybe Eddie hit the bottle again or something,she mustve had enough of it and left through the back door.Eddie has this thing of getting people pissed,He has this gift from God but the guy is wasting the unlimited potential he has on habits he has yet to kick off.If he wasn't bitten from that dog and if his dad didnt give him that sip of vodka and cigarette to keep him calm at age 12 or something,we might have been going to a Van Halen concert right now.

[ October 23, 2002, 12:00 AM: Message edited by: VanHalenMetallica ]
    The question is not, "Does love exist?"
    But when she leaves, where she goes?
    I got the feelin' she don't know either
    Wait like the wind, watch where she blows

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Personally I think it's a matter of how much can one person take? You figure that Eddie has been an alcoholic and a nicotine addict the entire time Val has known him. Then start tossing things on top of it: an affair, struggles with Eddie on and off the wagon, cancer, Eddie returning to smoking, cancer again, Eddie still returning to smoking.

There comes a time in life where you have to say the hell with it. He obviously doesn't care about his well-being, why should she make herself sick over it?

I don't really see it as abandonment just as Eddie gets his act together, I see it as her reaching the end of her rope with his nonchalant attitude about his life and how it has massive ramifications in the lives of his wife and son.
    "Just once I'd like to do the right thing and not get punished for it."

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Streets
    Last Online

07.30.08 @ 05:58 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Val left Eddie for two simple reasons: he cares more about cigarettes and booze than his family.

It's more or less the same reason Roth left Van Halen. It's a little hard to make a record with a drunk who's getting up at 3 in the afternoon hung over.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by VanHalenMetallica:
    It's a sad thing to see,after 21 years and then all of a sudden,to end so strangely with no explanation sounds weird.They buy a new house a few days before and then a few days later it says Eddie and Val split.It's like a mood swing all of a sudden.Maybe Eddie hit the bottle again or something,she mustve had enough of it and left through the back door.Eddie has this thing of getting people pissed,He has this gift from God but the guy is wasting the unlimited potential he has on habits he has yet to kick off.If he wasn't bitten from that dog and if his dad didnt give him that sip of vodka and cigarette to keep him calm at age 12 or something,we might have been going to a Van Halen concert right now.
    But if his Dad didn't do it, we might not have ever heard of Van Halen!

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by famac@nuveen.com:
    Val left Eddie for two simple reasons: he cares more about cigarettes and booze than his family.

It's more or less the same reason Roth left Van Halen. It's a little hard to make a record with a drunk who's getting up at 3 in the afternoon hung over.
    Finally someone said it! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

All we hear from the Wabozo's contingent is how stupid, arrogant, thankless or all of the above Roth was for leaving the band, when the truth is EVH is big time dysfunctional. In Roth's book, he even said, you're brother's up to 2 six packs a day, let's reconvene when you've got your shit together, although he didn't think Eddie understood (reconvene is a big word ).

So Eddie goes out and gets Mr. Tequila, who's willing to look the other way for the big payday until Eddie gets on the wagon for longer than a week and the wheels fall off.

Eddie is a textbook alcoholic, always putting the blame on others for his failings. Kudos to Val and Dave (i.e. Eddie VanHeineken) for giving him the tough love he needs. And anyone who thinks a tequila distiller is the best match for a person of Eddie's weaknesses, think again. At this point, maybe Ozzy's his best bet.
    "Some men are born to greatness, some women have greatness thrust up in them."<br /> <br />Diamond Dave