Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Cast a little true resurrection on this topic:

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Rikk
    Damn! That would have been my favorite article ever!
    That really surprises me. I've always thought of Mike as just the 9-5 bass player. But I guess he takes a real interest in the band's legacy. You know, if he was the one with the power, we'd probably be seeing a few things like a FAIR WARNING TOUR LIVE DVD, an unreleased box set, and even a great documentary on the band's history.
    <hr></blockquote>

He always did seem to come off as a bit of a session player in recent years to me too. I guess the guy has a notalgic streak a lot longer than anyone thought.

I'd love to buddy up to him and have a listen to some of those things.
    "Just once I'd like to do the right thing and not get punished for it."

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, Fair Warning, Diver Down, 1984, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Atomic Punk, Mean Street, Jump, Feels So Good, The Seventh Seal
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Stuff No More:
    He always did seem to come off as a bit of a session player in recent years to me too. I guess the guy has a notalgic streak a lot longer than anyone thought.

I'd love to buddy up to him and have a listen to some of those things.
    <hr></blockquote>

The only question is... after he probably talked shit to Rols and FullBugAZ (who knows)... ya really wanna buddy up to him?!?!

I dunno if you can trust ANYFUCKINBODY from the Van Halen camp.....
    I'm a Dirty-Faced Kid... so could some cute female do me the favor and lick me clean, please?!<br /><br />"Nobody rules these streets at night but me... the ATOMIC PUNK!" - DLR (1978)<br /><br />"This must be just like living in paradise... and I don't wanna go home" - DLR (1988)<br /><br />"So put it off until judgment day... I bear the cross on judgment day" - Sammy Hagar (1991)<br /><br />Obey the DFK!<br /><br /><b>IF YOU'RE DFK... YOU'RE DFK 4 LIFE!</b>

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Could This Be Magic
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think Mikey gets that it doesn't do him any good to bite the hand that feeds him. If acting like a session man was my best chance at grabbing a few million bucks, I'd do it.

The fact that he's talking a little and (is this still a rumor?) pursuing a solo project just reflects where he is in life.

He's financially secure, VH isn't a sure thing, he's an experienced musician and probably wants his own voice to be heard on a recording.
    DtK<br /><br /><i>"<b>Do</b> something."</i>

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 12:07 AM
    Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts

Premium Member
    quote:
    Originally posted by MikeL:
    Have there been any studio recordings ever found with Mike singing lead? They'd be interesting to hear. He did a fine job on Somebody Get Me A Doctor on the 3 tour.

THat did totally kick ass. Mike seemed to love doing it too. I think thats pretty much all we have though as far as Mikey on lead
    A little zen....... Headed your way.......

On Fire
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Speculate:

What do you think an MA solo project sound like?

Who do you think would be good for MA's solo band?

Should he play bass, or just have a mic in his hand?

Off topic I know...sorry, but last few posts were about Mike and these questions just came to mind.

As for BOVII...not yet, if there is no new studio album box set loaded with unreleased material is the way to go.
    Life is something that happens when your planning something else.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hmm... didn't the rumors say Sammy was gonna play guitar on Mikey's solo album?!

As for Mikey playing bass and singing... hmm... that's a toughie... how about getting Billy Sheehan for that position, since he's jobless nowadays?! [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img]
    I'm a Dirty-Faced Kid... so could some cute female do me the favor and lick me clean, please?!<br /><br />"Nobody rules these streets at night but me... the ATOMIC PUNK!" - DLR (1978)<br /><br />"This must be just like living in paradise... and I don't wanna go home" - DLR (1988)<br /><br />"So put it off until judgment day... I bear the cross on judgment day" - Sammy Hagar (1991)<br /><br />Obey the DFK!<br /><br /><b>IF YOU'RE DFK... YOU'RE DFK 4 LIFE!</b>

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Mikey sounded great on Somebody Get Me a Doctor just on the basis of sheer enthusiasm. It was infectious the way he tore into the thing.

As for a Mikey solo album, I can't see it happening at all.

And I agree with Mike (L, not Anthony ), IF there's been three albums of material worked on, you have to think that someone has been singing guide vocals on the recordings. The obvious choice to do that would be Mikey.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Glenn:
    And I agree with Mike (L, not Anthony ), IF there's been three albums of material worked on, you have to think that someone has been singing guide vocals on the recordings. The obvious choice to do that would be Mikey.<hr></blockquote>

Who knows... maybe Ed acquired a liking to sing after How Many Say I?!?! [img]graemlins/scared.gif[/img]

Let's hope not, but... hell... after all, it's Van Halen! You can't reason that band in a rational way...

[ December 01, 2001 at 11:10 AM: Message edited by: Atomic Punk DLR ]</p>

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Could This Be Magic
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Zadian:
    Speculate:

What do you think an MA solo project sound like?

Who do you think would be good for MA's solo band?

Should he play bass, or just have a mic in his hand?

Off topic I know...sorry, but last few posts were about Mike and these questions just came to mind.

As for BOVII...not yet, if there is no new studio album box set loaded with unreleased material is the way to go.
    <hr></blockquote>

It'd probably sound a lot like that Three Worms stuff he did down at Cabo. Not that I've heard any of their performances.

Personally, I'd like to see him do something totally off the wall. No matter what way you cut it, an MA solo project won't sell move than like 10,000 units. So why not try something cool?

Jazz, baby. Jazz. Show the world that someone in VH has jazz chops.
    DtK<br /><br /><i>"<b>Do</b> something."</i>

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Have there been any studio recordings ever found with Mike singing lead? They'd be interesting to hear. He did a fine job on Somebody Get Me A Doctor on the 3 tour.

You know, if there weren't any such recordings around 2 years ago, I've got a distinct feeling that there may be now. Three albums-worth of material, and none of it has vocals attached in a demo form? Uh huh. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

02.20.07 @ 03:36 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

No offense Mike, but I hated Mikey's vocals on SGMAD on the 3 tour. I just thought it sounded really bad (at least from where I was sitting).

As for Eddie singing with the band, that is one case where I can truly say I wouldn't buy the CD. HOW MANY SAY I is definitely the very worst track in my Van Halen collection.

I think Mike is a more intelligent and thoughtful guy than most fans perceive. And the problem is that he's the small guy in a band that isn't making any strong decisions right now. A Mikey solo album would be welcome. Hell, I'd love it if Dave and Mikey did an album together (yeah, right).
    "I had a girl beating on my hotel door all night...She was screaming, crying. Finally, I said, 'What the hell'...and I let her out!"- DLR

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I rather enjoyed Mike's vocals from the mp3 of the song I downloaded. Of course, maybe my enjoyment is just a result of having never heard him behind the mike in a fronting position before...

Either way, since Van Halen doesn't really exist right now, the only thing that could hold Mike back from a solo artist is Eddie's obvious dislike of band members doing solo work.
    "Just once I'd like to do the right thing and not get punished for it."

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

02.20.07 @ 03:36 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Eddie- "Hey Mike, you can't do a solo album! You'll take time away from the band!"

Mike- "Uh, WHAT band, Eddie?"

Eddie- "Well me, Alex, you and Gary...uh...Sammy...uh...Dave...uh...uh...oh shit."
    "I had a girl beating on my hotel door all night...She was screaming, crying. Finally, I said, 'What the hell'...and I let her out!"- DLR

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Rikk:
    Eddie- "Hey Mike, you can't do a solo album! You'll take time away from the band!"

Mike- "Uh, WHAT band, Eddie?"

Eddie- "Well me, Alex, you and Gary...uh...Sammy...uh...Dave...uh...uh...oh shit."
    <hr></blockquote>