Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I
    Favorite VH Song

Jamie\'s Cryin\'
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

DLR made six kickass, perfect records with VH. Aside from maybe two or three songs, Hagar's VH era blew, and Classic Rock radio ignores it.

Now, Sam had a few good tunes on his own--the first five in a row off Standing Hampton and a couple off Danger Zone--but that's where it ends. His work with Van Halen was sub-par, and when you juxtapose it with Roth's contributions it's painfully, embarrassingly evident.

I might go to see Sammy in a club to hear "Baby's On Fire" or "Love or Money," but I'd rather take a beating than listen to "Dreams" or "When It's Love," which are two of the worst songs to come out of the late '80s. "Eagles Fly" sucks hard, too.

I saw Roth last summer in Seattle, and he looked AND sounded better than ever. So, I can pretty much tell all you DLR fans on this forum that the Sam-lovers are LYING through their deluded teeth when they tell you Dave's voice doesn't sound good. They're just embarrassed to admit that they've been wrong since 1986.

If Sammy needs strippers and gimmicks to do his show, it's obvious his songs are lacking. End of discussion. If you wish to disagree, take it up with me at jackchav@aol.com. Otherwise, get your "VOA" records out, primp your mullets and goatees, and slip right back into fantasy mode.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:00 PM
    Liked 11,578 Times in 4,934 Posts

Wonderful, now this topic is better suited for Opinions. It's going there now.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

So this Is love
    Last Online

08.08.15 @ 11:25 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

You trying to tell us Dave never used Gimmicks or chicks to promote himself?
    Sammy's stage show wasn't meant to sell us on anything! We already paid to be there!

The Sammy bashing is sooooooo old on this board, it's crazy.

I like both eras of VH, I really don't have a preference, as long as Ed's on guitar.
    It's a shame you've closed your mind so much, otherwise if you were a true Van Halen fan, you would have got a lot more out of the Sammy era stuff.Ed was only gettin better.
    YOUR LOSS!

I was in Detroit, and for the record, Roth was totally out of gas by the last quarter of his set. He was trailing off his words, and missing parts of songs to save his voice. That much was obvious.
    The only good thing about a 10 hour car ride, is all the VH discs, back to back!

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Right Now
    Last Online

01.30.06 @ 10:11 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm getting sleepy of all this Sammy-trashing bullsh*t. [img]graemlins/sleep.gif[/img]

Why can't you guys just enjoy the music?

Dave also has songs that suck, but you never hear me complain about that! Not all songs can be perfect for all of us, so you should better take those few for granted! Case Closed!
    "You go there once, you'll be there twice" CABO WABO!

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I
    Favorite VH Song

Jamie\'s Cryin\'
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So, in order to be a true "Van Halen fan" I need to like both the DLR and Sammy eras because Eddie was in both versions? Listen, Rodney: Eddie Van Halen is a savant who cannot be trusted to make prudent decisions. I mean, the man's been battling tongue cancer and he CONTINUES TO SMOKE! What an idiot.

Bottom line: the songs were shit after DLR left.

If Dave's voice ran out of gas, maybe it's because he DIDN'T take 15-minute "tea breaks" between tunes. Fuckit, I'll take Dave singing through a megaphone before I listen to 90 minutes of Sammy's caterwauling. The guy might have some pipes, but his voice is completely lacking in personality.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

So this Is love
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Once again,
    ITS YOUR LOSS!
    The only good thing about a 10 hour car ride, is all the VH discs, back to back!

Webmaster/Graphic Artist Top Timmy's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

10.28.16 @ 08:45 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey, Dave totally kicked ass when he was with Van Halen. Nobody could touch him. He was what ALL frontmen at the time wanted to be. Can you tell me that this is the current situation?
    Webmaster/Graphic Artist
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

So this Is love
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by Top Timmy:
    Hey, Dave totally kicked ass when he was with Van Halen. Nobody could touch him. He was what ALL frontmen at the time wanted to be. Can you tell me that this is the current situation?
    I wish there was a current situation!

I agree though, Dave was king at that time.

Eruption
    Light industrial complex on Eastern Seaboard
    Last Online

06.08.07 @ 12:27 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by JackChavbaum:
    DLR made six kickass, perfect records with VH. Aside from maybe two or three songs, Hagar's VH era blew, and Classic Rock radio ignores it.

Now, Sam had a few good tunes on his own--the first five in a row off Standing Hampton and a couple off Danger Zone--but that's where it ends. His work with Van Halen was sub-par, and when you juxtapose it with Roth's contributions it's painfully, embarrassingly evident.

I might go to see Sammy in a club to hear "Baby's On Fire" or "Love or Money," but I'd rather take a beating than listen to "Dreams" or "When It's Love," which are two of the worst songs to come out of the late '80s. "Eagles Fly" sucks hard, too.

I saw Roth last summer in Seattle, and he looked AND sounded better than ever. So, I can pretty much tell all you DLR fans on this forum that the Sam-lovers are LYING through their deluded teeth when they tell you Dave's voice doesn't sound good. They're just embarrassed to admit that they've been wrong since 1986.

If Sammy needs strippers and gimmicks to do his show, it's obvious his songs are lacking. End of discussion. If you wish to disagree, take it up with me at jackchav@aol.com. Otherwise, get your "VOA" records out, primp your mullets and goatees, and slip right back into fantasy mode.
    i'll take it up right where you left off, jackson:

perfect records? vh was great with roth... but perfect? get the fuck outta here! Zep is THE heavy rock champ. period, full stop. and they didn't make a single perfect album. you think Dancing in the Streets is part of a perfect collection?!?! hello, McFly??

Sammy's work was sub-par? i guess that's why they had all those number one albums that sold millions of copies and created a whole new fan base. clearly, it's because the music is sub-par. that's a logical conclusion only if you're a DLR fanatic. the rest of the world recognizes the accomplishments for what they are--extraordinary.

so jackson, break out your hair mousse, strap on your platforms, pile into your Pinto and head to the concert cause "Diamond" Dave is serving up 1984--LARGE!!

"Roth, who guided Van Halen through its early breakthroughs, looked particularly ancient this evening, seeming none too dissimilar from Ricardo Montalban's titular figure in "Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan." He flubbed his lines and karate kicked the air, totally oblivious to fact that what was once considered "flamboyant" is now meek and corny by even the most lenient standards. Time has passed him by.

But no matter: Roth is so beyond relevance that even he knows it"

--Chicago Tribune

Favorite VH Album

Live in Largo '82
    Favorite VH Song

Sunday P.M in the Park/1 Ft...
    Last Online

11.22.16 @ 05:46 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Originally posted by Top Timmy:
    I think that the current situation is that the majority of frontmen in the biz today are seriously lacking "frontmen" skills.

Look at all of the music & bands out there touring & how many are really distinguishable? Not many. I couldn't tell you what the lead singer for Linkin Park or Godsmack look like because you really can't tell who's a member of Sum 41 or Blink 182 or Creed, etc. They all run together because they all sound the same. At least Dave/VH was a unique sound you identify immediately.

Granted, Dave needs to act a little closer to his age, but he was the one who all these kids were watching him wanting to be a rock star. He (and a lot of others) set the standards for music entertainment, and all of these angst-ridden bands that are dragging people down with all the woe-is-me lyrics & music need to take a page out of that chapter.
    Q: Recording the album took so long your Australian tour last year was cancelled. What was it like in the studio? There's a history of tension between you and Eddie Van Halen...

DLR: It was like a stand off in a Chuck Norris movie. We each had the laser dot on everybody's forehead waiting for the other guy to blink. Except for Wolfie, he had a Super Soaker ...

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Hecubus:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Top Timmy:
    I think that the current situation is that the majority of frontmen in the biz today are seriously lacking "frontmen" skills.

Look at all of the music & bands out there touring & how many are really distinguishable? Not many. I couldn't tell you what the lead singer for Linkin Park or Godsmack look like because you really can't tell who's a member of Sum 41 or Blink 182 or Creed, etc. They all run together because they all sound the same. At least Dave/VH was a unique sound you identify immediately.

Granted, Dave needs to act a little closer to his age, but he was the one who all these kids were watching him wanting to be a rock star. He (and a lot of others) set the standards for music entertainment, and all of these angst-ridden bands that are dragging people down with all the woe-is-me lyrics & music need to take a page out of that chapter.
    </font>[/QUOTE]actually, hec, perhaps i can restore my 'damaged' credibility [img]tongue.gif[/img] by pointing you to today's Today (get it?):

Front page article, "Anyway You Spin It, The Music Biz is In Trouble" details the very subject matter of which you opine.

Favorite VH Album

Live in Largo '82
    Favorite VH Song

Sunday P.M in the Park/1 Ft...
    Last Online

11.22.16 @ 05:46 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Credibility salvaged, you Sammy Lover, you.

Where's that article? I'm intrigued.

[img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    Q: Recording the album took so long your Australian tour last year was cancelled. What was it like in the studio? There's a history of tension between you and Eddie Van Halen...

DLR: It was like a stand off in a Chuck Norris movie. We each had the laser dot on everybody's forehead waiting for the other guy to blink. Except for Wolfie, he had a Super Soaker ...

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Hecubus:
    Credibility salvaged, you Sammy Lover, you.

Where's that article? I'm intrigued.

[img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    literally today's Today. as in the newspaper. front page above the fold.

Last Online

09.26.07 @ 02:38 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by JackChavbaum:

http://www.dlrarmy.com/forums
    "It's so damn hot... milk was a bad choice." --Ron Burgundy, Anchorman

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I
    Favorite VH Song

Jamie\'s Cryin\'
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Seriousdoodoo and Doublethumbs:

Hey, it ain't my loss if I don't want to hear Sammy's Van Hagar trash. I was forced to hear them on rock radio from 1985-1994 or whatever. Thank God for Eat 'Em & Smile in '86, because that ROOSTED on all Van Hagar shit (for that matter, so did A Little Ain't Enough).

But here's a little response to that Tribune piece, lipshitz. I included the link, so you can verify its authenticity.
    -------------------------------------
    Still a gigolo: David Lee Roth gets the joke

David Lee Roth
    Sun Sept 2
    at 9:15 pm, Real Mainstage

Just when his band was seemingly at the peak of its career, the singer issued a four-track solo EP (1985's Crazy from the Heat), and amid a maelstrom of behind-the-scenes bickering and jealousies, Roth left Van Halen. Such a move--leaving a band at the height of its creativity and success in pursuit of a solo career--is almost always accompanied by cold wishes and the reputation of being an asshole. But somehow, Roth managed to remain unsullied in his fans' eyes. By 1986, he was selling out arenas on his own, following the release of Eat 'Em and Smile.

But it wouldn't last. And less than a decade later, he'd be making the Vegas circuit. Van Halen had disgraced itself by replacing Roth with former Montrose singer Sammy Hagar, and despite a hit song (famously sold to a cola company), the band's new incarnation, with a style mired in soft rock, resembled little of its former self. Vegas, Easy Listening... you weigh the difference.

This is a time when "comeback tours" staged by aging rock stars are an often sad but ubiquitous occurrence. So much so that perturbed author John Strausbaugh has written an entire book on the subject ("colostomy rock," he calls it), entitled Rock Til You Drop: The Decline from Rebellion to Nostalgia. Strausbaugh, an editor at New York Press who proudly claims to have killed his own rock career at the age of 30, surmises that "rock simply should not be played by fifty-five-year-old men with triple chins wearing bad wighats, pretending to still be excited about playing songs... [they played] thirty-five years ago. Its prime audience should not be middle-aged, balding jelly-bellied dads."

Strausbaugh has a point--which is why the thought of follicly-challenged Roth returning to the stage is one that is fraught with concern. However, Roth has one thing on his side, something that's received with equal amounts of derision: schtick.

Even when he fronted Van Halen, Roth was all about his schtick. The spandex jumpsuits, the shrill shouts, the lascivious-to-the-point-of-cartoony lyrics, the babes... everything was larger than life, and in a word, hilarious. Everyone who ever owned a Roth-era Van Halen album was fully in on the joke--everyone, that is, except for his bandmates, who were stoic to the point of transforming the band into an unintentional parody, thus making themselves a prime example of what Strasbaugh laments in his book. As mentioned earlier, Eddie and Alex Van Halen have tried to go on without Roth, to varying degrees of success and some Extreme lows (bad Gary Cherone pun, wholly intentional). Van Halen III, anyone?

At 46, Roth is under 50 but still a target for guns aimed to take down an idol. He's a buffoon, no doubt about it. But an intentional buffoon, and from day one. The epitome of rock and roll excess, but with a sense of humor about it. The only difference between David Lee Roth and Tommy Lee is the fact that Roth knows it's an act. Underneath that thatch of bleached-blond hair is the brain of a true entertainer. Lee's career will never age so gracefully, because he takes himself much too seriously.

Roth's current "David Lee Roth Saves the Day" tour, scheduled to roll into Bumbershoot on September 2, features one of his solo hits ("Tobacco Road"); the rest of the set consists entirely of Van Halen favorites. This time, the schtick is the original material, with no hammy Louis Prima or Beach Boys covers. And judging by the reviews, the schmaltz is ratcheted even higher, proving that Roth always knew that the success of Van Halen was in the comedy as well as its formidable musical talent (there--a bone to all those who worship Eddie's guitar-playing).

Reportedly, Roth struts onstage in black leather pants that he rolls farther and farther down on his hips with each song, swills Jack Daniel's from the bottle while pandering to the ladies, and still insults the men in the crowd by claiming that he's going to fuck their girlfriends. And of course, everyone eats it up, either because his fans are dumb heshers who don't know any better because they're too drunk, stoned, and stoked, or because they view it much like one would view a WWF spectacle: as pure, overblown entertainment. Fake as hell, but impressive nonetheless.

Most Van Halen fans hope in their heart of hearts that the original lineup will once again reunite for the airwaves and arenas. I, for one, do not. Long live David Lee Roth, I say. He's the one with all the "charasma."

http://www.thestranger.com/2001-08-30/bumber.html