Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Balance, Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

aint talkin\' bout love
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I know how obvious this is, but, Michael Anthony is the greatest bass player ever. His Bass lines are so powerful and groovy. I was listening to Van Halen 1 today and was on "On Fire", and the intro Bass line to that song rocks. Who here agree's with me that Mikey is a legend of the bass guitar? If so what's your Favorite Bass line from him?
    [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img]
    I strive to be that good

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Meanstreet
    Last Online

05.18.12 @ 09:24 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't know how great he is at playing the bass, but his vocals are IMO his strong point.

Mikey's truly undervalued by the fans and the VH brothers.

Favorite VH Album

The one with Ed on guitar.
    Favorite VH Song

The one with Ed's amazing solo
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 04:55 PM
    Liked 186 Times in 92 Posts

Mikey RULES, his playing ang backround vocals are just unmatchable.
    Without him VH would never sound the same.
    "I could call it anything, but the only word I can think of is Brown. It's just a warm sound. Warm, big, majestic" - Eddie Van Halen on his Tone

"Van Halen is definitely a ladies band, and Ive got the Polaroids to prove it". - David Lee Roth

WOLFGANG did the IMPOSSIBLE, he brought back VAN HALEN, DEAL WITH IT.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

hmmm...everybody wants some
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 08:20 PM
    Liked 973 Times in 390 Posts

mike is a genius based on the fact that he is out and doing something right now, getting away from the vh brothers.

JMJ
    "you can't change JMJ, it's legendary"- Brett Norton 9/24/07

"It's the "JMJ" everyone had grown to love, man! Time to blow the roof off this place!"
    -Zachenfoot 2/23/10

"The links just look a little better with JMJ. Always has, always will." -Hurricane Halen 2/24/10

"I'm doin' the victory dance. Told ya I'd be back. Tell me ya missed me. Say it like ya mean it" - Blood and Fire. =VH= 2012. Welcome back boys :headband:

"I don't give a flying fuck about Motley Crue. I give about a half a fuck about Rush. I like Van Halen and don't give a flying fuck how many tickets they all sell. Any questions?"- jimmyw

Super Duper Frontman YankeeRose's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:55 PM
    Liked 197 Times in 123 Posts

Mike is a great bass player, but I think Billy Sheehan is the best! [img]graemlins/sssh.gif[/img]

Anyway, this topic is more suited for VH Opinions, i'm moving it there.
    Right Now you're reading my post!

I can't stand rap....people who can't sing do rap....you can sing rebellion as well as talk it....Hitler would have been in a rap band...

-- John Entwistle

2006 VHL Fantasy Hockey Champ!

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

We get way too carried away with handing out the 'genius' awards I think. Mikey is solid as a rock, and has an ability to put his ego in the backseat and let the song be the most important thing. The man can play the bass very well, and in a more complex fashion than we hear on standard Van Halen songs; example, I was watching a tape of VH doing Won't Get Fooled Again live from 5150 on the weekend, and Mikey's fingers are all over the place nailing that song. But Van Halen songs don't ask him to play in that type of fashion, so Mikey hangs back to preserve the song. He's solid, but doesn't feel an unneccesary need to over-paint the picture. That's a great skill, but I still don't think it slides him into he genius category.

And his bass playing also gets overlooked because of how vital his background singing is to the overall sound of Van Halen. Mikey is the man!! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars/Unchained (tie)
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Glenn:
    We get way too carried away with handing out the 'genius' awards I think. Mikey is solid as a rock, and has an ability to put his ego in the backseat and let the song be the most important thing. The man can play the bass very well, and in a more complex fashion than we hear on standard Van Halen songs; example, I was watching a tape of VH doing Won't Get Fooled Again live from 5150 on the weekend, and Mikey's fingers are all over the place nailing that song. But Van Halen songs don't ask him to play in that type of fashion, so Mikey hangs back to preserve the song. He's solid, but doesn't feel an unneccesary need to over-paint the picture. That's a great skill, but I still don't think it slides him into he genius category.

And his bass playing also gets overlooked because of how vital his background singing is to the overall sound of Van Halen. Mikey is the man!! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    Yeah, what he said.

Mikey's a rock-solid, in-the-pocket bassist, which is EXACTLY what he needs to be in VH. Plus, no matter what flavor cheese you prefer in the lead singer spot, there's no denying that without MIKE'S vocals, it DAMNED sure ain't Van Halen!

[img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

SBS
    What, me, worry?

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    Last Online

08.27.17 @ 09:39 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 105 Posts

Originally posted by SirBrownSound:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Glenn:

Yeah, what he said.

Mikey's a rock-solid, in-the-pocket bassist, which is EXACTLY what he needs to be in VH. Plus, no matter what flavor cheese you prefer in the lead singer spot, there's no denying that without MIKE'S vocals, it DAMNED sure ain't Van Halen!

[img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

SBS
    </font>[/QUOTE]Mikey plays "blistering" bass when he needs too...not because he can. We all know he can...it would be great to hear what he can do like Sheehan etc...but we know he blows most background vocalists away and his bass playing is the icing on the cake and then some! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    Just go for it!

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Balance, Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

aint talkin\' bout love
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is true, you guys are right, not genius, but great at his art. He's amazing though. I think the best at bass in a loooooooooooooooooong time.
    [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img]