Imperial Fascist Overlord Down In Flames's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

@
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

If Sam had been on board, what is today known as VH3 would be a lot different. Maybe not much better but definitely different.

There'd be no "How Many Say I," "Josephina," "Once" or "Ballot Or The Bullet" - for sure. Not that I'm a Sam fan, but that's quite an improvement right off the bat. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

I agree that it would have been both a more 'commercial' album and their most contentious because of the material Ed cooked up. That's one of the failures of VH3; it wasn't a band effort. It was an EVH vanity project. Sam would have pushed for a real producer instead of one of Ed's golfing pals. That reminds me of the story about how VH had Mick Jones as a figurehead in the role of producer as they basically self-produced "5150." (They had much better luck the first time around, didn't they? LOL)

That said, I think had Sam remained the album would likely have been worse than Balance but still better than what we have today. It's not crazy to think it would have sold about 2 million copies since if Sam had been around, there'd have been no 1996 fiasco. But, if there'd been no fiasco, there'd be no "Can't Get This Stuff No More" and "Me Wise Magic." Conjecture kicks ass. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/images/avatars/michael3.jpg

"You are the McCarthy of this board. The witch burner." - strungout, on yours truly

"Only Eddymon would claim victory during a FOUR game losing streak." - OLO

"Did I not say, 'I think we should shoot him!' I did. Double rainbow on this end. I require a high five. Out."- track 5, on the delicate art of banning

"If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire..."

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Jump
    Last Online

05.03.13 @ 05:38 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It may have gone the direction of Humans Being. More in your face Rock n Roll as opposed to the songbird music that infested 3. I have nothing against "songbird music", but Van Halen would have NEVER done an album like that with Sam on Board. Even though Sam has been guilty of swaying towards "songbirdism", even he would not have jumped into that batch of tar and feathers.
    Minnesota Vikings KICK ASS!!!! All other teams get their water.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

02.20.07 @ 03:36 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What do you guys think VH3 would have been like if Hagar stayed? Do you think it would have continued the band's commercial run from BALANCE, or do you think Hagar would have been overwhelmed by the uncommercial material Eddie had?

I personally feel that it would have been a completely different album. It probably would have been their most tension-filled sessions yet. Eddie already had some of that music before Sam left, and I think Sam would have objected to a lot of it. He probably would have totally made some of the material more pop (and considering how crummy some of VH3 is, that wouldn't have been a bad thing). And a few of the songs wouldn't have been born at all because they were based completely on Gary's lyrics.

Thoughts?

[ July 29, 2002, 03:34 AM: Message edited by: Rikk ]
    "I had a girl beating on my hotel door all night...She was screaming, crying. Finally, I said, 'What the hell'...and I let her out!"- DLR

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

07.09.17 @ 06:30 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts

The truth of the matter is that Van Halen has not been the same since Sam left. As cool as MWM and CGTSNM are I'd rather have 3 more Van Halen records with Sam then 2 tracks with Dave and one album with Gary.
    "It's now officially 5150 time!!!"

Last Online

11.12.17 @ 09:04 PM
    Liked 121 Times in 68 Posts

Donor

It would have been nothing like III, not called III, and probably the best Sam-era album yet!

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

04.24.06 @ 02:43 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I totally agree with everyone who said the sound would have been much more commercial and less experimental. Sammy would have stood his ground whereas Gary had a wet noodle for a spine. He was Ed's puppet who just sang whatever crap was thrown at him. Hagar would've said "look here man, if you think 'High Hopes' is shit, you better take another listen to all these songs you just handed me bro".
    "We don't act this way because we're in a rock band; we're in a rock band because we ARE this way." David Lee Roth - 1983

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

10.20.14 @ 08:47 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Van Halen 3 with Sammy would of sounded like a lot of b-side material from the Balance album . It would of had the usual melodies and the same old pop chorus that most radio freindly Van Hagar era had . Don't get me wrong Sammy is a creative guy , capable of making some very unique music (Best of both worlds , Black n blue , Man on a mission , Don't tell me , Crossing over) it's just that he didn't take that many musical/melodic chances with his era of manning the mighty Van Halen ship .

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

10.20.14 @ 08:47 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Though 3 didn't fly the way the media intended to fly (for the three chord , pop chorus top 40 fans)(no offense to any core VH fans that didn't like 3) it was full of musical/lyrical/melodical chances . 3 was like finger painting by Salvador Dali put to music . The finger painting = the producing and the cheesy media blitz , Salvador Dali = the songs , minus Edward singing lead .

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Right Now
    Last Online

01.30.06 @ 10:11 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by dirtymovies:
    It would have been nothing like III, not called III, and probably the best Sam-era album yet!
    It would be like Humans being and hopefully with the 'BALANCE-sound'.

IMO, He's getting better and better. Did you listen to TEN13? It's his best solo album, also IMO.

PEACE! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    "You go there once, you'll be there twice" CABO WABO!

Massachusetts by way of the Great State of New Jersey
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Changes with the day
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 07:13 PM
    Liked 546 Times in 327 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I sure as hell would've liked to hear it. Hell, Dirty Water Dog already sounds like a Sammy tune.

I actually would have like to hear Once with Sam, to see what he'd have done with it. Same as Without You.