Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Unchained
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i know this is big words are, a big fantasy.
    but with dlr at the mic, with a successful album new one.
    could van halen atcually. give rock its due respect back in the world of music.

today i read a article about rap music in newsweek.
    and it was very interesting.
    check it out.
    talking about how old school rappers are even discusted with the new rap shit.
    saying its lost its real idenity.
    well it brings me too
    dlr and van halen if they were too have a new album and great tour. in future.
    could it spark a resurection of bands not to mention fans.
    you have to admit there is no band around that can compete with van halens live shows.
    the sure power of eddies guitar and perfection.
    has a almost album like quality.
    and with daves great showman ship. keeping the fans interested in whats on stage.
    it could win over a lot of young folks going wow this sounds so awesome. compared to a limp biscut concert.
    these are higly skilled veterans.
    who know how to put on a concert, unlike what kids know today as one.

i say on with a new album that kicks ass and has atleast one song too conquer the charts at higher than # 5 and holds for a good while we can see a change in music.
    rap has been around twenty years and is growing so stale to even the rap fans.
    there are so many rap bands know days who knows whos on top any more.
    they get signed by the car loads know days.
    same beats and same raps of pimps drugs hoes.
    etc
    thses kids have got too be interested in the power of a change like vh could bring.

there will allways be the warped minded kids who grow up thinking rap is for life.
    but for those who have any ideal there is other music van halen is the one capable of winning a new generation.
    not only are these kids forgetting rap but. a lot of black kids have no knowledge of blues, jazz and soul.
    i dont know just thought id write my
    thoughts.
    let there be van halen soon baby.

------------------
    (( back up bitch! i missed the order box, move your ass back please , so i can order my food,((well if you would have pulled up to the right place in first place.,. look lady back the fuck up or im gonna cap your ass!! yeah uh ill take a#4 quarter pounder plain with cheese only.!!!! drive thru please !!

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

My fear is that this tour will automatically become a nostalgia tour; not because the band wants it to be, but because the fans do. In order to sell out arenas and stadiums, Van Halen is going to have to appeal to alot more than just the hardcore fans. They'll have to target alot of older fans who have lost touch with Van Halen, and I think those fans are really going to be alot more interested in the bands past than the bands future.

I don't think it's entirely a bands fault that they become a nostalgia act, it's got alot to do with what the fans bring to the table. It's like when I saw the Rolling Stones on the Bridges to Babylon tour; when they played any of the new songs, the crowd just died and barely even paid attention. But then they perked right up when they started Jumpin Jack Flash.

I can see this same thing happening to Van Halen. And this is where I get worried. I'm wondering how Edward will react to people cheering like crazy for Jump and Panama, and then quieting down for the new stuff. I honestly believe that if this reunion lasts for two or three records, you'll see Van Halen sell a continually diminishing number of records and then doing their biggest business on the road. There's really nothing wrong with this, it's just that I wonder how it will affect Edward if he knows that a majority of people are mostly interested in work he did fifteen or twenty years ago.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Many
    Last Online

05.12.06 @ 06:39 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Glenn:
    My fear is that this tour will automatically become a nostalgia tour; not because the band wants it to be, but because the fans do. In order to sell out arenas and stadiums, Van Halen is going to have to appeal to alot more than just the hardcore fans. They'll have to target alot of older fans who have lost touch with Van Halen, and I think those fans are really going to be alot more interested in the bands past than the bands future.

I don't think it's entirely a bands fault that they become a nostalgia act, it's got alot to do with what the fans bring to the table. It's like when I saw the Rolling Stones on the Bridges to Babylon tour; when they played any of the new songs, the crowd just died and barely even paid attention. But then they perked right up when they started Jumpin Jack Flash.

I can see this same thing happening to Van Halen. And this is where I get worried. I'm wondering how Edward will react to people cheering like crazy for Jump and Panama, and then quieting down for the new stuff. I honestly believe that if this reunion lasts for two or three records, you'll see Van Halen sell a continually diminishing number of records and then doing their biggest business on the road. There's really nothing wrong with this, it's just that I wonder how it will affect Edward if he knows that a majority of people are mostly interested in work he did fifteen or twenty years ago.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Glenn I hope you are wrong man! It will all depend on how strong their new album is i guess

Favorite VH Album

Not choosin & U can't make me
    Favorite VH Song

Not choosin & U can't make me
    Last Online

10.30.06 @ 06:54 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Any, new Van Halen may revitalize rock.

------------------
    Free VH ScreenSavers at
    www.RasSoft.com

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

It all depends on the charts and top 40 radio.

We can expect that the release of an announced and promoted DLR/VH album will more or less instantly gather enough steam to sell 2 million copies and spend about a week at #1 on the album charts from the sheer buying force of the die hards and the long lost fans.

However, to throw out a much used quote, "Look at all the little kids, takin' care of the music biz." That's the deal. If VH is unable to tap the burgeoning teen market that is just coming into disposable income, they don't really stand a chance of making a mark on music.

I think honestly the band needs to approach this next album/tour like they did when they first signed on with WB. Basically, time has passed them by and they're not a force int he music industry anymore. Of course they're too well established to take the hit and open for a modern act, nor would permit something like that (what? 45 &$%*ing minutes is all we get?!)... But I suppose you can work backwards. Get someone who is just starting to break to open for you to bring people in for that (I'd pass on playing the local bars for opening for VH) and then get out on stage fast enough to wow them before they leave.

And by all means, write something with the push power of Jump that will float around the singles chart top for months. We'll all be thankful for it later.

*thinks* And naturally, we as the faithful have the mission to play our VH as loud as possible with the windows down and to try and convert all the little kids over

------------------
    Fall in line, say the word...
    VHLinks Forum Moderator (Opinions)
    Up Front Fanatics!

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"Dirty Movies"
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You make very good points there Glenn.
    But maybe if the album is pure kick ass, people will cheer for the new stuff too? I know I WILL!!!

We'll have to wait and see I guess...

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Even though I hope that I'm wrong, I think Glenn is probably right on this one. The careers of most bands follow predictable courses that are almost always as certain as death and taxes(of course we know that the mighty VH are unlike most bands). I think the new album will sell pretty well, and it might get some kids interested and buying the old stuff, but I don't think it's gonna set the world on its ear like VH I, Apetite For Destruction, and Nevermind all did(notice that the aforementioned were all made by bands full of young whippersnappers). I know it's apples and oranges,but that album by Page and Plant a couple of years ago didn't exactly set the world on fire. I think we can expect a classic album and a kick ass tour, but I don't think we should be dissappointed if its sales don't meet some grandoise expectations we've set up. Long live Halen!

------------------
    "Eddie jumps!!!"

"I'm a spark on the horizon."

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

04.17.12 @ 03:02 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Personally, I don't care if they revitalize rock so much as they revitalize Van Halen. If they put out a new record with great songs, fans will cheer just as loudly as they would any of the old stuff.

------------------
    I'm the one who makes the tiger go 'way for ya, and I'm the one who brings 'im back out when ya least expect it!
    David Lee Roth, NBC's Friday Night Videos, 1985

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Right Now
    Last Online

05.18.09 @ 11:19 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

New Van Halen would definitely make these kids take notice.

Hearing the old DLR stuff really got me into the band--I loved the nature of VH's music. Dave's personality would at least evoke a look-see response from the younger generations (of which I am a part of but am an exception to cuz I like VH )

I've introduced several kids to Roth-era VH and they thought it was awesome. I don't think all those love songs Sammy did would evoke the same response. VH3 would be an inaccurate representation of the band's sound and therefore I would not present it to them as part of the conversion process.

I certainly hope new DLR-VH material will reintroduce fellow members of my generation to what the true rock is--not this endless simple jamming on guitar fronted with excessive incessant screaming with curse words on a regular basis.

I also hope that this reintroduces kids to REAL music in general--there's been way too much teenybopper trash going on.

And maybe new VH will help get the erratic Dirty Faced Kids thread in Non-Music going

------------------
    Right Now, it's safe to add one (1) to my post count.
    Right Now, strange is beautiful.
    Right Now, I'm a Dirty Faced Kid.
    Right Now, MTV has no idea what happens when rabid Van Halen fans have their favorite band insulted.
    Soon Enough, they'll learn the hard way.

[This message has been edited by JWS_5150 (edited October 05, 2000 at 08:42 PM).]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later, Atomic Pu
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I've been thinking about this for a while now - bear with me:

The year is 1977. Outside of a few acts (Zeppelin, Aerosmith, and Kiss come to mind immediately), Rock and Roll is not the flavor of the month. Disco and pop rule the airwaves.Along comes the rude, in-your-face
    sound of Van Halen, which, IMO, sets the course for the revitalization of Rock.

Fast-Forward to 2001. Music listeners have been subjected to rap and pop for ten years after a great 10 year run of rock and roll in the eighties. Along comes the original Van Halen lineup to set the music world back on proper course.
    Far-fetched? Not at all. Forget their age - it's not relevant in this case.
    Music fads run in cycles (usually per decade), and rock and roll is due for a rebirth.

Personally, I think Van Halen is going to be stirring up some shit all over again - and others will follow.

------------------

*gulp* - Down In Flames

"...like falling down the stairs and landing on your feet." - Edward Van Halen describing his solos.

"I'm not scared of you punk - I got chunks of guys like you in my stools!" - "Sinatra" to "Billy Idol" on SNL

Eruption
    Last Online

11.07.17 @ 04:10 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wolfman:
    I've been thinking about this for a while now - bear with me:

The year is 1977. Outside of a few acts (Zeppelin, Aerosmith, and Kiss come to mind immediately), Rock and Roll is not the flavor of the month. Disco and pop rule the airwaves.Along comes the rude, in-your-face
    sound of Van Halen, which, IMO, sets the course for the revitalization of Rock.

Fast-Forward to 2001. Music listeners have been subjected to rap and pop for ten years after a great 10 year run of rock and roll in the eighties. Along comes the original Van Halen lineup to set the music world back on proper course.
    Far-fetched? Not at all. Forget their age - it's not relevant in this case.
    Music fads run in cycles (usually per decade), and rock and roll is due for a rebirth.

Personally, I think Van Halen is going to be stirring up some shit all over again - and others will follow.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

how do you know it ain't gonna be some band we haven't heard of yet?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later, Atomic Pu
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 1984:
    how do you know it ain't gonna be some band we haven't heard of yet?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good point. You Bastard.

------------------

*gulp* - Down In Flames

"...like falling down the stairs and landing on your feet." - Edward Van Halen describing his solos.

"I'm not scared of you punk - I got chunks of guys like you in my stools!" - "Sinatra" to "Billy Idol" on SNL

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

While being a junior high teacher, and always being curious about what kids listen to, admire, hate, etc., I always ask about VH. They all say the same thing: VH with Dave is classic, and that's the only era they care for. While I prefer the Sammy era, I see where they're coming from. Reading guitar magazines, the current bands that are successful speak highly of the original VH. And kids do as their heroes do. Thus, since their heroes think old VH is cool, it must be cool, so these kids will most likely agree. So I think young rock fans will go for a reunited VH. For the Britney fans, well, VH didn't tap into that market much before, and they certainly won't now. But a reunited VH DOES have the potential to break into the teenage market again. Let's hope the potential turns into reality.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

You have a point, Abe. I just wonder how well 13 and 14 year olds will connect with people in their 40s. Sure, music is the universal language, but the first go round VH had the benefit of drawing lots of young women to the concerts.

------------------
    Fall in line, say the word...
    VHLinks Forum Moderator (Opinions)
    Up Front Fanatics!

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 1,479 Times in 901 Posts

I only read the first couple of posts so if I repeat anything that was posted earlier, I apologize.

Some things to think about.

Did KISS revitalize Rock N Roll with their reuion tour? Maybe. Depends who you ask.
    I think if VH gets back with DLR, they should not present themselves as a nostalgia act. They should do what the Rolling Stones do every five years. Put out a new album and market the hell out of it. Then do some arena dates before embarking on the stadiums. I think there are enough fans where they could do this. As for the album, if the record has the raw power of the classics along with the 'maturity' of the music and Dave's lyrics, it can be done. Not every song Dave writes is about female body parts.
    Check out 'Black Sand' by the DLR Band or even 'Damn Good' off of Skyscraper.
    As for the younger crowds, I think they want a change. The boy band shit will be gone soon enough. Some of the rock groups that are coming out are going back to the driving raw power sounds. The bands '3 Doors Down' and 'Tidewater Grain' are good examples.

IMO, Van Halen is waiting for the right time which will be early next year. They will be healthy and rearing to go to take back American music!!!

------------------
    May the Phoenix that is Van Halen rise again!