Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

04.17.12 @ 03:02 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm not saying it's the only reason but you gotta figure that one of the reasons that Van Halen's relationship with Warner Brothers ended was because the band no longer had the WB old guard there to fight for them any longer. Guys like Mo Ostin, Lenny Waronker and Ted Templeman were big wigs at WB for years and all were instrumental in getting the band signed and guided them thru much of the Dave era. With them no longer in the WB hiarchy, who was left to fight for VH? The new suits at WB are probably overly concerned about signing the next Britney or BackDoor Boys to appreciate the fact that they have one of the greatest musical acts in the history of pop music on their label.

Eruption
    Last Online

08.02.17 @ 01:39 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

.....yea , your probably right....it's like they want to get away from the ma & pa stores and keep building wal-marts......it's gonna catch up to em'
    ..In 1984 Van Halen Jumped Panama
    Topped Jimmy & Dropped Dead Legs
    ..Ill Wait in this House of Pain with the
    Girl Gone Bad while I am really Hot for Teacher..

..Think it was easy ?..you stare at an album
    Cover that long..

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Meanstreet
    Last Online

05.18.12 @ 09:24 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

IF Eddie said he won't work with Dave then I don't blame WB for dumping them. A 4th singer won't sell, so why try and sell it?

[ February 05, 2002 at 07:08 AM: Message edited by: dj88 ]</p>

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

RIGHT NOW
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Who can blame them . Why pay VH millions for music that they don't even know if anyone really wants anymore. (because of VH's long cold spell see VHlll) when they can sign some bubble gum band for peanuts and all the kids go nuts for.
    NO,NO,NO DON'T TAKE EM OFF

Eruption
    Last Online

08.02.17 @ 01:39 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

.....see the difference between vh and other bands..." the greatest guitar player on the planet "....i think ed , mike & al WANTED to leave....i personally think sombody was playing with those numbers on VH 3...YOU KNOW , at least half of the guitar players in this world bought that record
    ..In 1984 Van Halen Jumped Panama
    Topped Jimmy & Dropped Dead Legs
    ..Ill Wait in this House of Pain with the
    Girl Gone Bad while I am really Hot for Teacher..

..Think it was easy ?..you stare at an album
    Cover that long..

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by dj88:
    IF Eddie said he won't work with Dave then I don't blame WB for dumping them. A 4th singer won't sell, so why try and sell it?
    Point well taken but it would be a joy to see Warner suits jumping off the buildings, if VH puts out a killer, multiple million selling record. "DUHHHH! why'd we let them get away"

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is hardly an area in which I'm an expert, but there's been a huge consolidation in the recording industry in the last 5-8 years or so, and where there used to be around 20 major labels or so there's now, if I'm not mistaken, 6. Company A pays too much for Cmpany B and, to make it work, has to concentrate on two segments - the n'sync spears backstreet types, in whom they can invest millions but make money, and the smaller, underground/alternative types, who don't sell huge numbers but cost nothing to promote, so they can turn a profit on a few hundred thousand units. What gets chopped, unfortunately, are aging names past their prime (in terms of sales, not necessarily talent), who can't bring in the numbers to justify their advances, royalty rates, and the expensive promotion they demand. The Eurpoean and Asian markets also work into this equation, which explains why Michael Jackson's around despite his inability to have a hit in the US these days.

Ask anyone who's familiar with an AOL/Time Warner balance sheet the kind of trouble they're in and the cost cutting they've been doing.

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I don't know. With a self contained band like Van Halen, I'm not sure how much they'd care about who was in the board room of the label. And with the sales performance of VH III, even the guys that signed and groomed VH would probably have been pushing them to drop Gary and get Dave back. There's little to suggest that the next album, had it been with Gary, was going to be more successful than III.

Anyways, interesting topic, going to send it to the Speculation forum for continued discussion. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Last Online

12.08.16 @ 03:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by nijmegen:
    The Eurpoean and Asian markets also work into this equation, which explains why Michael Jackson's around despite his inability to have a hit in the US these days.

Ask anyone who's familiar with an AOL/Time Warner balance sheet the kind of trouble they're in and the cost cutting they've been doing.
    Michael Jackson recently ripped Sony management for "not promoting his new record correctly." i'd blame low sales more on a sucky record, not Sony. hell, it only took 6 years to record, at who knows what kind of cost. but yeah, he's huge overseas (foreigners seem to be more tolerant of deviant activity), where VH may only be big in Japan and not Europe. it'll be interesting how it all pans out, if it ever does.
    "is this a good show tonight, or fuckin' what?" - DLR, Montreal, 11/10/07

Toronto 10/7...Cleveland 10/10...Toronto 10/12...Montreal 11/10

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

The industry is a different place today compared to '78. Expectations for albums sales and what equals a success has inflated rediculously with the creation of the digital CD format. I'd even wager that music is more "corporate" than it used to be. Hell, back then it was all about finding the next big thing and signing them on with a screwjob contract. Now it's all about CREATING the next thing artificially and controlling every aspect of it.

This is Van Halen we're talking about, not f-ing O Town.
    "Just once I'd like to do the right thing and not get punished for it."

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Originally posted by Glenn:
    I don't know. With a self contained band like Van Halen, I'm not sure how much they'd care about who was in the board room of the label.
    I don't think they'd care much either. The folks that originally worked with them didn't continue working with them as their career progressed, yet the band remained with WB.

Something had to have changed with their contract situation that was not to their liking. Perhaps albums after 3 were at the label's option, and WB wanted to re-adjust the contract to something reflecting sales of that number.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Glenn:
    I don't know. With a self contained band like Van Halen, I'm not sure how much they'd care about who was in the board room of the label.
    Yeah! I'm sure Van Halen didn't care, but one has to consider that many of the people who are in charge now, may be younger than members of the band themselves. They are also businessmen as opposed to artists. Plus they may not have a real appreciation for the group on a musical level. Templeman and Waronker in addition to being execs, were strongly entrenched in the music side too. When Van Halen 3 came out, I recall reading something where Ed talked about the frustrations of merging business and music. While this may have always been the case, I think it is more evident than ever in today's commercially driven world we live in.