Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

everybody wants some
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Whaddya think?
    ...what do you do when the bureaucracy that's supposed to help you...WANTS YOU DEAD? <a href="http://www.callumhouston.com" target="_blank">www.callumhouston.com</a>

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Great question for the Speculation forum, so I'll send it over there. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 08:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I posted a similar question about Dave & Randy Rhoads a few times in the past.

There is a reason that Van Halen got signed in 1977 and other bands like Quiet Riot and whatever band George Lynch was in at the time did not. That reason was a frontman who demanded the attention of the crowd, including whatever record company agents, producers or passing rock stars such as Gene Simmons, just happenned to be attending the show. Dave got them focused on stage, and once they were, it was all that much easier to pay attention to what Eddie was doing.

You went to a Quiet Riot show and Du Brow bored the shit out of you before you could recognize Randy's genius. And while I know nothing about Lynch's old band, (apart from the fact that 3 of their songs somehow ended up on a Van Halen bootleg and they might have had a singer named Greg Stafford) there's an obvious reason that they didn't make it and he had to find Dokken.

So in other words, Dave and any other talented guitarist would have had the edge in 77 over Eddie and any other frontman in the LA club scene of the time.
    Eat Us And Smile

Welcome back, Van HALEN!!!!

...It's the BAND and Dave is really the cat that can front VH. He sang his ASS off and was really cool. No cheese here guys, this is filet Mignon! - Steve Lukather's comment after witnessing a Van HALEN 2007 rehearsal

"What then is this bleating of sheep in my ears?"- 1 Samuel 15:14

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:30 AM
    Liked 11,574 Times in 4,934 Posts

I completely disagree FORD. Ed was already a guitar icon in So Cal before VH was even signed. People came just to see him play, he was legendary in the mid 70's in the LA club scene. There aren't many unsigned artists who at age 19 were doing 5 minute guitar solo spots. Ed was not just some "talented guitar player," who lucked into playing with Dave or something. If anything, it was the complete reverse. Ed was the one getting all the accolades, and deservedly so, he was the most brilliant young guitarist since Hendrix and everyone knew it.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

everybody wants some
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I recently picked up Dokken's Back For The Attack cassette for my car and guitar work on that record is nothing short of stellar. He certainly has the speed and melody stuff down. Edward, though, was an innovator; Lynch, a speedster. But I think the combination of Roth and Lynch would be fucking amazing. '1984' is THE album for cutting edge rock guitar innovation (as is VHI, VH2, WATF, FW, and DD).
    ...what do you do when the bureaucracy that's supposed to help you...WANTS YOU DEAD? <a href="http://www.callumhouston.com" target="_blank">www.callumhouston.com</a>

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 03:59 AM
    Liked 1,482 Times in 904 Posts

George Lynch & David Lee Roth = DLR Band
    Eddie Van Halen & David Lee Roth = Best of Both Worlds

Sammy was on to something there.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

03.01.10 @ 10:22 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Dave would have never achieved half of the fame he has had in his life.

The band would have found another singer and would have been successful. Probably not as successful as they were with Dave, however.

Last Online

12.15.17 @ 03:56 AM
    Liked 1,026 Times in 501 Posts

George Lynch has a great vibrato, and he can play very fast, but to me he is not much more than a wanker...

Plus, Edward Van Halen has more compositional talent in his pinky finger than George Lynch has in his whole body!

[ February 14, 2002 at 02:49 PM: Message edited by: Rokgtar ]</p>

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Dokken isn't on the same planet with Van Halen, end of story.
    Webmaster

JamToThis.com
    Tons of Van Halen!

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

A Different Kind of Truth
    Favorite VH Song

As Is
    Last Online

10.09.12 @ 02:50 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by Brett:
    Dokken isn't on the same planet with Van Halen, end of story.
    At this point I don't believe Edward is on the same planet as anyone..........and I'm not talking about his guitar playing.

Music is not about guitar polls or matching bands/players against each other and grading them out of ten. It's about chemistry - neither DLR or EVH would have been as famous or successful without each other.

Even 25 years later the vast majority of people want to see Dave and Eddie together. Van Hagar would probably still work to some extent, and probably the EEAS band would to a lesser extent. But beyond that the interest would be minimal.

Rothen would have been a forgettable hair metal band at best.
    Delusions of eloquence

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Well many of you guys seem to be relegating Ed to a fly by night cookie-cutter shredder from the 80's, I think that is utterly ridiculous. If Ed had a different singer, VH still would have been famous. Would they have had the impact they have had on music? Probably not as a band, but I think Ed the guitar player would have always shined. He was an innovator, and nothing can take that away.

George Lynch can shred like a mofo, but he's no Eddie Van Halen. He certainly doesn't possess the writing abilities and musical knowledge that Ed has, and his whole style was copped from Ed. "Mr. Scary" is his attempt at another "Eruption."
    Webmaster

JamToThis.com
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 11:25 PM
    Liked 16,544 Times in 9,378 Posts

Leave it to FORD to try and give more credit to DLR than EVH for Van Halen's fame and success. That's almost as stupid as saying that Britney Spears is famous because of her singing ability and not her other "talent(s)".
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you"

"Be careful what you wish for because you just might lose what you already have"

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by I Coulda Hada VH:
    Leave it to FORD to try and give more credit to DLR than EVH for Van Halen's fame and success. That's almost as stupid as saying that Britney Spears is famous because of her singing ability and not her other "talent(s)".
    Come on, now. You KNOW that DLR taught Eddie how to play guitar. HE wrote the songs, and HE told Mike what to play in the studio.

He also parted the Red Sea, showed Michaelangelo what the Sistine Chapel should look like, invented the microwave oven, split the atom, put a man on the moon, and created the world's first pizza delivery service.
    Don't bark at me...<b>I</b> didn't name ya.

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 11:25 PM
    Liked 16,544 Times in 9,378 Posts

Originally posted by AbeVanHalen:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by I Coulda Hada VH:
    Come on, now. You KNOW that DLR taught Eddie how to play guitar. HE wrote the songs, and HE told Mike what to play in the studio.

He also parted the Red Sea, showed Michaelangelo what the Sistine Chapel should look like, invented the microwave oven, split the atom, put a man on the moon, and created the world's first pizza delivery service.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Abe,

You forgot to mention sliced bread, microprocessors, and the cure for cancer that saved Eddie Van Halen's life!!!
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you"

"Be careful what you wish for because you just might lose what you already have"

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 08:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Leave it to the SHEEP to once again put words in my mouth. Geezus fucking Pete, when in the fuck did I EVER say Eddie wasn't talented?? I believe I have referred to him several times as "the greatest living guitarist" despite the fact that he mostly coasted during the 11 years of Van Hagar's existence, and couldn't write one coherent song on VDIII.

The point I am trying to make is that there are HUNDREDS of talented guitarists out there who will never be heard. Are they all as good as Ed? of course not. But most of them are better than anyone who will end up in Limp Dikzit. So why aren't they getting signed?

Why didn't Randy Rhoads get signed? Everything Brett says about Eddie in the LA club scene was also true of Randy. I don't know or care enough about George Lynch to say what his reputation in the clubs was. But apparently, he was good enough to fool a lot of Van Halen fans into thinking that "Black Star" and 2 other songs were VH boots.

So again. why did Eddie have the advantage over Randy?? If they weren't considered "equals" it was damn close.

And Brett, if you don't think Randy Rhoads got his own solo spot at age 19.... ever hear a song called "Laughing Gas"??
    Eat Us And Smile

Welcome back, Van HALEN!!!!

...It's the BAND and Dave is really the cat that can front VH. He sang his ASS off and was really cool. No cheese here guys, this is filet Mignon! - Steve Lukather's comment after witnessing a Van HALEN 2007 rehearsal

"What then is this bleating of sheep in my ears?"- 1 Samuel 15:14