Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Top Of The World
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I, along with almost every other Van Halen fan, love "Me Wise Magic" and "Can't Get This Stuff No More". However, what if Dave reunites with Van Halen and we get an album full of songs like these? While these songs are what Van Halen fans dream of, would they get enough play on MTV and the radio to sell beyond the current remaining fan base (consider many casual fans of Van Halen have lost interest and many don't even remember MWM and CGTSNM)? The reason I am interested is because I believe a more commercially successful album would lead to more Van Halen with DLR albums. Would an album full of songs like these be like "Fair Warning" -- loved by the die-hard Van Halen fans and ignored by everyone else?

I guess I shouldn't be so greedy and just settle for one... [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ February 22, 2002 at 06:28 PM: Message edited by: Walter Payton #34 ]</p>
    "Running the ball is like making romance..."

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Nah looky here, ya know if Van Rothin' produced a whole album--there would be plenty of diversified material UP IN THERE!!!!!! Juss like the mighty DLR BAND--you gotchyo flat our hotfoot hopped up rockers, slow grind blues,smooth shuffles, an' even a moody rocka like Black Sand. There would be a lil' somefin fo e'ery one I'm sho SHO NUFF!!!!!! Maybe even a 12 string acoustic blues ditty, canyadiggit? An Eddie instrumental. A Dave solo accapella,"God Bless The Child."
    Well well well...well aw riiiight!!!!!! [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img]

Eruption
    Last Online

08.02.17 @ 01:39 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

...I thought the same thing....aerosmith : great band , great songs.....they are about as 1978 as it get's....mtv loves them....why ?...is it because they spend alot of $ on a song.....desmond child butter up....i dont know...is that what it takes now a days to get some mtv play...major coin spent on a song
    ..In 1984 Van Halen Jumped Panama
    Topped Jimmy & Dropped Dead Legs
    ..Ill Wait in this House of Pain with the
    Girl Gone Bad while I am really Hot for Teacher..

..Think it was easy ?..you stare at an album
    Cover that long..

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, and the rest of the first 6 albums!
    Favorite VH Song

Everthing off of the first 6 albums!
    Last Online

01.10.09 @ 01:07 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I bet it would be diverse with some Hard Rockers, the newer style ala MWM, maybe something soulful and Bluesey, and even a POP tune or two....I would not be surprised....

Sinner's Swing! 79th and Sunset's Avatar
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 12:35 PM
    Liked 16 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member
    I think a release with Roth would be very diversified. I would hope Dave could "push" Ed to rock like he did on those 2 tunes from 96'.

Who the heck knows what type of musical chemistry would come out of them, but if Dave is involved, each song would be diverse, and unique. IMO !

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If they did an album where every song was of that quality, I think I'd have an orgasm.

Unchained
    Last Online

01.28.16 @ 01:53 PM
    Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

Now adding to my long list of entities that can FUCK OFF!, add that lame ass MTV and anyone that thinks their playing of a groups video is a measure of success. Good music is good music, without any fucking video. If the band puts something out and they dig it, and we get into it as well, then that is success right there. FUCK wasting a bunch of money on some whacked out fucking concept video and put out a live video from a show if a video is a must, and let these brainwashed kiddies see what the real deal is. The only thing I would ever look forward to from any music TV would be a 10 hour long episode of VH1 behind the music to let us know exactly what the hell has exactly been going on. MTV used to matter when you couldn't walk down to the local music store and pick up some form of your favorite groups latest video, but today it's only a matter of time before a fan can be the proud owner of just about anything a group puts out. FUCK MTV, Rolling Stone and the Rock and Roll HoF!
    John 3:16, Can You Dig It?

People, the 6 wings of the Mighty Van Halen will fly again! Can You Dig It?

You gotta give more than you take! Can You Dig it?

And underneath the arch, it turned into a march,
    and there He found a spark to set this fucker off!
    Set it off, set it off now children,set if off!

We are down the road! I Can Dig It! Can You?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 03:59 PM
    Liked 555 Times in 251 Posts

speaking of Mtv, I can't believe they are still on the Ozzy tip!

I guess it's because he ascociates himself with the newer bands on his Ozzfest tours.

Mtv's reality based Ozzy show will be good. Other than that, Mtv is pretty much useless.

Plenty of great bands out there that never made a bunch of videos.--it's very easy for these new bands to go out and get some kick ass video director and make some mind blowing concept.

However, it's still great to see that a cheaply made "Jump" video is a classic when it cost next to nothing to make.

Who cares what some 12 year old girl thinks about music?

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Please don\'t make me choose
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by WARHEAD:
    Now adding to my long list of entities that can FUCK OFF!, add that lame ass MTV and anyone that thinks their playing of a groups video is a measure of success. Good music is good music, without any fucking video. If the band puts something out and they dig it, and we get into it as well, then that is success right there. FUCK wasting a bunch of money on some whacked out fucking concept video and put out a live video from a show if a video is a must, and let these brainwashed kiddies see what the real deal is. The only thing I would ever look forward to from any music TV would be a 10 hour long episode of VH1 behind the music to let us know exactly what the hell has exactly been going on. MTV used to matter when you couldn't walk down to the local music store and pick up some form of your favorite groups latest video, but today it's only a matter of time before a fan can be the proud owner of just about anything a group puts out. FUCK MTV, Rolling Stone and the Rock and Roll HoF!
    Most of us here don't like what became of MTV however you would be foolish to deny it's role in modern music.... I'm sure when you saw the "welcome back Dave" spot in '96 and the amount of air time the situation got, you didn't have much of a problem with MTV. they are a force that needs to be dealt with and placated to if you want a certain level of success.

TD
    Unofficial Keeper of the Faith<p>Our responsibility is to the music and it's continued growth<p>Who's your daddy?<p>"I'm bold as love, just ask the axis" J.H.

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

Tonedaddy, I just feel that audience isn't the target a reunited VH would be shooting for. If the music is good, people who dig good music will buy it, with videos or not. A large portion of the VH/DLR fanbase are of the age that live video is the main new form they will want to see. If I want to see musicians in a movie, I'll go rent Crossroads or something like that. Videos are all about selling music, I can understand that. And if it's all going to be about selling, and not about the integrity of the music, then I say fuck it! The best VH videos were not the ones on MTV, they were the ones that played in my head when I listened to the songs and read about the band in Circus magazine. I'll take the JUMP video and the 3 live ones from the Fair Warning tour. I never really needed to see Dave dressed like Napolean. If he had fun doing it, good for him. I never bought a record because of it though.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Please don\'t make me choose
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Point taken, but its definitely a force that needs to be dealt with. The MTV-VH1 connection is a sure fire way to turn a good album that deserves to be big to the largest buying demographic in music.... We know for the most part the next album will cook, because the band knows it needs to. But to maximize the exposure and return from the next album they need the acceptance of these communties or else they will be doomed to club tours which puts them in the same catagory as some of the bands we slag on here..
    Unofficial Keeper of the Faith<p>Our responsibility is to the music and it's continued growth<p>Who's your daddy?<p>"I'm bold as love, just ask the axis" J.H.

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

You do make a good point and I guess my dislike for MTV and the likes of Rolling Stone, is that they are diggin' it the most when it's to their advantage, yet don't show much respect for any act after they've passed what they feel is their prime, or past a point of sellability. I guess as a fan, I will always stand by the band, yet it sucks to watch MTV, which VH basicly put on the map with a few other acts, move on to anything but what I would classify rock and roll and some of it pushes the question of actually being music. Rolling Stone couldn't care less about VH right now, but if a reunion happens, you can bet your ass, they'll want VH right there on the cover. I understand that will help sell music and reach new audiences, which is part of your point. I just always felt the music of VH was bigger than either of these and that they exist because of the music. It's indeed a sad day when any group has to cater to MTV and Rolling Stone if even in the slightest way. I'd love to see them do like the Yankees did NBC reporter Jim Gray and tell em all to fuck off, we ain't talkin' to you. Fuck the music business and bring on the music! If you ain't singin' or playin' an instrument or busting your ass hauling and setting equipment up from town to town, you're a 33%er as DLR would say. When these cats start writing the music, playing the music or work crew for a tour, then I'll rethink my point of view. I don't need MTV or Rolling Stone to tell me what's good, and it would be a better day when no one else did.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, and the rest of the first 6 albums!
    Favorite VH Song

Everthing off of the first 6 albums!
    Last Online

01.10.09 @ 01:07 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

VH don't need either, but you bet when DLR, EVH, MA, and AVH all join forces for one last Hurrah, MTV and Rollingstone will want a piece of the ride!!!

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:32 AM
    Liked 1,483 Times in 904 Posts

I wouldn't have too many complaints over an album that sounded like MWM and CGTSNM. If we thought that sound was great then, imagine it now (5 1/2 years later.)
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, FWYS
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

There is a lot of hate for MTV around here, and i can understand why, with all of their boyband bullshit. However the same people seem to love VH1, and that I don't understand. MTV plays new music. If an act does not have something new out, they are not on the channel. But dont think for a second if Van Halen came out with something new, that MTV would not show it. They supported the '96 stuff, and even VH3. MTV shows a lot of that new Ozzy clip. And when the Stones have new stuff, the videos get played. Hell, MTV even sponsered the Bridges to Babylon Tour in '97-'98.

VH1 on the other hand, deals a lot with nostaglia. Do you see anything VH related on VH1. Hell no, it's Journey, Fleetwood Mac, REO Speedwagon and all of today's soft rock. My point is VH1 is not any better, in fact it pisses me off more, because they deal with veteran bands. I bet if Van Halen comes out with something new, MTV plays it more than VH1.