Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, Balance, VHIII
    Favorite VH Song

Can\'t Get This Stuff No More
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Not assuming anything, if VH called it the quits, what band would take there place? I mean, no one can take their place, but who would be the Van Halen of the new Millenium? I would think it would be a younger band, but I don't know of any that I would even fill 1/4 of VHs shoes. We could always go with Vertical Horizon, for one reason......you can keep the VH logo. No, I'm kidding. Any ideas on this subject matter?

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"Dirty Movies"
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

No one can take Van Halen's place. Period.
    "Sorry about the mess..."<br /><br />~Han Solo Episode IV

Last Online

09.26.07 @ 02:38 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Wolfgang's future band.
    "It's so damn hot... milk was a bad choice." --Ron Burgundy, Anchorman

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

All of them pretty much
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i think there will be know one... WE CAN JUST HANG AROUND AND LISTENING TO THEIR OLD and NEWER SONGS!!! they rock anyway so... i am not giving up on VH in a lifetime!! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

[ December 25, 2001 at 12:36 PM: Message edited by: Mean_Street ]</p>
    This is home, this is Mean Street!<br /><br /><b><br />Then one year you find ten years have gotten behind, no one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun. - Pink Floyd, Time</b><br /><br />"Everyone knows that Van Halen with Roth is the only real Van Halen."- Mike Tramp<br /><br /><a href="http://www.vhforums.com/vhlforum/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=12;t=001366&p=66#00 1635" target="_blank"> OBEY THE DFK!!</a>

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"5150"
    Last Online

04.05.12 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I agree with you guys. VH is irreplacable. Just like The Beatles, Led Zep, The Who, etc.
    Scott Roberts
    The Official Scott Roberts Blog - http://www.scottrobertsweb.com
    FORMER owner of The VH Trade Site - http://www.vhtrading.com

On Fire
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Because music is a personal choice that means something different to each individual, I don't think it possible for a band to carry the 'torch' with the way your question is phrased. There are many other bands out there today enjoying tremendous success, but musically may not suit your tastes.

Each band is different with their own sound, their own stamp on their music, is personal to those individuals in the particular band. All the bands mentioned, Zep, Beatles, are great bands, but I don't think one replaced the other, maybe in popularity contests but musically...those two bands, and VH are totally different.

Another thing unique about Van Halen was Eddie and how he not only created a whole new way to play the instrument, but also changed how the instrument can be built. In my book he stands with Jimmy Page and Jimi Hendrix as a true inovator of the guitar in rock music, there are others I know, but for me those three are the one's who really took the guitar to new heights. I think it will be a very long time before that is done again, I don't hear anyone today really breaking any new ground in the ways those three did.
    Life is something that happens when your planning something else.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

07.10.16 @ 08:46 AM
    Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Personally I would find it really hard to find a band that could replace THE MIGHTY VAN HALEN!!!!!!!!!!!
    Andrew -"People within the industry often have colorful descriptions when talking about Dave".
    Sammy- "He's wacky man…he's as wacky as a motherfucker…but at least you know what you get". Melodicrock interview with Sammy 08/2006

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

The Full Bug
    Last Online

10.12.15 @ 05:43 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts

I can't think in terms of replacing Van Halen, but after reading Rolling Stone's Year in Rock, it's plain to see that without bands like Van Halen, it's a pretty depressing scene out there. I started getting into Staind and some of these other bands, but they're music is so angry and depressing, it really starts to affect me negatively. I love Creed and I think bands like The Black Crowes and Aerosmith have been hanging in there pretty well. Lenny Kravitz is good. Incubus is okay, but we really need some good plain old rock.
    Could this be magic?

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up
    Last Online

01.23.09 @ 11:26 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Lets be honest here. In, say, the last 10 years (longer, but lets not quibble), the state of "Rock" music thats been comming out has SUCKED ELEPHANT BALLS! Limp Bizket!!? COME ON! I have to admit, I DO like some newer bands, like Foo Fighters, STP, Tool.. But, I can't help but think that I'm just "settling" for these bands because, comparitivly, they dont suck nearly as much as the other 95% of the crap thats been passing for "rock"!
    My question is; Where is the excitement? Where is the SPARK!? Where the hell is the FUN!? It dosent exsist! I've been to DOZENS of concerts in the last 12 months, and while I had a great time at all of them, I also left feeling a bit.. empty, not "cheated".. but empty! Lets face facts.. there is a TON of negativity in modern music, & granted, the world is NOT the same place that it was in the 80's, but COME ON! I am a fan of A Perfect Circle (Maynard, from Tool's side band)and I went with my friends to see them here in NYC. I know that WE where the generation that invented "moshing".. but who the HELL moshes to 3 Libras!!? (check the song out, it's really great). For those not in the know, moshing to 3 Libras would be like moshing to Tesla's Love Song! And these kids where not just moshing, but they where out for BLOOD! THIS WAS A POSITIVE SONG FOR CHRIST SAKES! I litteraly saved a girl from gettng her teeth bashed in from some tree stump with a flying elbow! Sorry to go off on a rant, but I believe this story illistrates my point.
    Now, flashback to 1982; Van Halen concert at The Garden.. I was in a GREAT mood for WEEKS after that show! I felt like I had just been to a great party with @ 20,000 of my best friends! Sad thing is, it looks like those days are LONG gone.. Sucks, dont it? I really hope VH can get it together, I'd HATE to have Bon Jovi be the last bastion of "feel good" rock music!
    Plstrcast everywhere else, Smudge NYC here.. so kiss my arse!<br /><br /><a href="http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/smudgenyc" target="_blank">http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/smudgenyc</a>

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 07:37 PM
    Liked 527 Times in 242 Posts

Only 2 bands come to mind.

Atomic Punks
    and the OTHER Tribute band:
    The David Lee Roth Band.
    'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Right Now
    Last Online

05.18.09 @ 11:19 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

The most disappointing part of all is that the closest we get to "fun" rock are bands such as (shudders, convulsions, [img]graemlins/scared.gif[/img] , etc.) Blink 182 and their many clones. (Insert 'puke' here) And these guys are far from proficient on their instruments and just makes Van Halen that much better. It's just unlistenable after hearing the same melody repeated about 30 times in one song (I've read tab and laughed). That, and their vocalist is just f00king annoying beyond belief.

Point is: rock SUCKS right now. It's either negative or bordering on boyband.

Or maybe it's all a bad dream... [img]graemlins/sleep.gif[/img]
    I'm one of those crazies on your block.

writing

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

Josephina
    Last Online

05.25.17 @ 07:28 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I don't see many, if any, new bands that stand for the same things that Van Halen *used* to stand for. Maybe Buckcherry.
    "You gotta do me a favor and let these (people) have a good time, alright? A little bit of (vulgar term for breast) and their hands in the air ain't gonna hurt anybody" - Nikki Sixx

"Van Halen is 'Get the fuck off the sidewalk if ya don't like our drivin' kinda music!" - David Lee Roth

"We get to the hotel, there's people partyin' in the parking lot, people gettin' down in the elevator, wow! I swear to God I had this one chick, this chick was poundin' on my door, she was kickin' and screamin' at my door 'til about 6:30 this morning. Finally, I just said, 'Fuck it!' and let her out of my room!" - David Lee Roth

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

11.30.11 @ 08:12 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Van Halen cannot be replaced. You would just have to move on musically.
    Fair Warning... It's 5150 Time!!

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 07:37 PM
    Liked 527 Times in 242 Posts

I was having a similar conversation (argument if you will) with my Brother in-law on Christmas about this.

He is in his late 30's and I'm 33 next week and he thinks bands like Tantric and Tool are the "bomb".
    He also thinks that Britney has talent, ( obviously he only sees the T&A aspect of her).

Then Van Halen came up and he said "I thought that they were back with Roth", I said "by all reports they are". This led to who are the "real" bands of today.
    We agreed on Creed and Fuel, but disagreed heavily about Pearl Jam.
    I contend that PJ went downhill fast. They peaked with their first album and have become the modern day Guns-n-Roses.

There can never be a "NEW" Van Halen, Van Halen is an attitude that no ther band can touch.
    Like there can never be a "NEW" Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, The Who, or The Doors.
    Yeah I put Van Halen in the same elite status as those bands because each one set a standard by which all other bands emulated and continue to strive to be like.
    I also would rank Van Halen above bands such as Aerosmith and AC/DC.
    'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, Fair Warning, Diver Down, 1984, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Atomic Punk, Mean Street, Jump, Feels So Good, The Seventh Seal
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well... don't lemme smash your world now...

but I have developed such a versatile taste of music in the last couple of years that it wouldn't hurt me THAT much.

Sure... it'd be sad to lose a great band....

But, hell... I've even survived the death of Freddie Mercury and the consequent ending of Queen... (which used to be my absolutely favorite band for years).....

So... I'd also survive the end of Van Halen, as sad it would be. [img]graemlins/sssh.gif[/img]
    I'm a Dirty-Faced Kid... so could some cute female do me the favor and lick me clean, please?!<br /><br />"Nobody rules these streets at night but me... the ATOMIC PUNK!" - DLR (1978)<br /><br />"This must be just like living in paradise... and I don't wanna go home" - DLR (1988)<br /><br />"So put it off until judgment day... I bear the cross on judgment day" - Sammy Hagar (1991)<br /><br />Obey the DFK!<br /><br /><b>IF YOU'RE DFK... YOU'RE DFK 4 LIFE!</b>