Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I'm wondering what peoples' thoughts are on a few things regarding Dave's Crazy From the Heat ep.

1. Do you believe that the project came together at the last minute, completely unplanned, as Dave has claimed?

2. If Dave hadn't left Van Halen, do you think that any of the CFTH songs would have been played live by VH on their next tour?

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

All, but a VERY few!
    Last Online

11.03.16 @ 02:00 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Glenn:
    I'm wondering what peoples' thoughts are on a few things regarding Dave's Crazy From the Heat ep.

1. Do you believe that the project came together at the last minute, completely unplanned, as Dave has claimed?

2. If Dave hadn't left Van Halen, do you think that any of the CFTH songs would have been played live by VH on their next tour?
    <hr></blockquote>

no and no

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I think he probably knew some people to call. The scheduling of the musicians must have taken some time and effort.

As for playing the songs live, that probably depends on when the next tour would be and how well the songs released to radio for that album had done. If they toured immediately after a song hit the radio in say, 1985, then I think they'd bow to the pressure and that'd be Dave's (not-so) solo spot. Put it a year ahead, into 1986 with a couple hit songs that had been on the radio for a few months, and I don't think you'd see them play anything off CFTH.

All of that depends, of course, on just how true to his word Dave would have been about it being a time-filling project for him. If he really felt that, then I don't think he would have pushed to play the songs live.

Were any of them played during the EEAS tour?

Something I've been wondering about is if Dave would have done a little tour around CFTH had circumstances with the band not deteriorated. If, say, they all agreed in the winter of 1985 to take 6 months off instead of beating their heads against each other in the studio. Could Dave have put together a small tour playing CFTH-ish tunes? What size venues would he have done if he stayed away from any and all VH music? Would the rest of the band feel abandoned, even if Dave was playing completely out of the VH-genre?

Awsome topic, Glenn!

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

The only bootleg I have from the EEAS tour doesn't feature any of the CFTH material, but then I'm not sure it's a complete show. I have a couple of bootlegs from the Skyscraper tour, and both of them feature California Girls, Just a Gigolo and Easy Street. Off topic, but I find that funny just because, in my opinion, Coconut Grove is really the gem of that project.

Anyway, my opinion is that CFTH wasn't just an off the cuff, last minute decision. To my way of thinking, even if Dave wanted to rush the next VH album out, it seems crazy to think that with the 1984 tour ending in early September of 84, that he believed VH would be back in the studio before 1985. With the release dates of California Girls (video and single) and the ep itself, Dave must have been working on it only a few months after the 84 tour ended.

My belief is that Dave saw two things in the future;

1. He saw Eddie sliding further down the addiction road; and this didn't just hit him in early 1985, he'd been watching it from the front row for quite some time.

2. (Easily related to number 1), He felt that the long time it took to create 1984 was going to become the norm, and he didn't like that idea. Again, he'd had since 1983 to fret about this potential change of pace.

I think you combine those two things and it's very possible that sometime during the 1984 tour (perhaps even sooner), Dave got it in his mind to take a shot at testing the solo waters. He had to know that if he was going to make this bold move, there would be a pretty limited window of opportunity in which to do so.

Crazy From the Heat was a perfect shot at it; if it succeeds, he gets a clear idea that the name 'David Lee Roth' has some selling power on it's own. Having it be an ep, and even more importantly an ep of cover material, if it stiffs in the market place, it gives Dave the easy ability to laugh it off as an elaborate one-off joke, and his creative credibility is no worse off.

I don't buy that Dave was bored, or that it was to keep VH's name in the media. 1984 was a smashing success, and had it been their first album I could see the need to rush back into the studio to keep the momentum. But with VH, this successful album was their sixth consecutive one, there was no reason to believe that a year away from the spotlight would have harmed them at all. Frankly, had CFTH bombed, and Dave stayed in VH (which he surely would have had it bombed), I think in retropect it would have been better had CFTH never existed and VH had been silent until the 1984 follow-up came out.

As far as whether VH would have done any CFTH material had Dave stayed, I think they would have done one song. If Eddie was going to do his 15 minute guitar solo (which is how long it was on the 1984 tour [img]graemlins/sleep.gif[/img] ), I think it's easy to imagine Dave pushing to do his thing. And personally I'd have much rather have heard VH jamming one of those four tunes than Dave doing that stupid tai-chi routine, or the sword dance.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, and the rest of the first 6 albums!
    Favorite VH Song

Everthing off of the first 6 albums!
    Last Online

01.10.09 @ 01:07 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Glenn:
    The only bootleg I have from the EEAS tour doesn't feature any of the CFTH material, but then I'm not sure it's a complete show. I have a couple of bootlegs from the Skyscraper tour, and both of them feature California Girls, Just a Gigolo and Easy Street. Off topic, but I find that funny just because, in my opinion, Coconut Grove is really the gem of that project.

Anyway, my opinion is that CFTH wasn't just an off the cuff, last minute decision. To my way of thinking, even if Dave wanted to rush the next VH album out, it seems crazy to think that with the 1984 tour ending in early September of 84, that he believed VH would be back in the studio before 1985. With the release dates of California Girls (video and single) and the ep itself, Dave must have been working on it only a few months after the 84 tour ended.

My belief is that Dave saw two things in the future;

1. He saw Eddie sliding further down the addiction road; and this didn't just hit him in early 1985, he'd been watching it from the front row for quite some time.

2. (Easily related to number 1), He felt that the long time it took to create 1984 was going to become the norm, and he didn't like that idea. Again, he'd had since 1983 to fret about this potential change of pace.

I think you combine those two things and it's very possible that sometime during the 1984 tour (perhaps even sooner), Dave got it in his mind to take a shot at testing the solo waters. He had to know that if he was going to make this bold move, there would be a pretty limited window of opportunity in which to do so.

Crazy From the Heat was a perfect shot at it; if it succeeds, he gets a clear idea that the name 'David Lee Roth' has some selling power on it's own. Having it be an ep, and even more importantly an ep of cover material, if it stiffs in the market place, it gives Dave the easy ability to laugh it off as an elaborate one-off joke, and his creative credibility is no worse off.

I don't buy that Dave was bored, or that it was to keep VH's name in the media. 1984 was a smashing success, and had it been their first album I could see the need to rush back into the studio to keep the momentum. But with VH, this successful album was their sixth consecutive one, there was no reason to believe that a year away from the spotlight would have harmed them at all. Frankly, had CFTH bombed, and Dave stayed in VH (which he surely would have had it bombed), I think in retropect it would have been better had CFTH never existed and VH had been silent until the 1984 follow-up came out.

As far as whether VH would have done any CFTH material had Dave stayed, I think they would have done one song. If Eddie was going to do his 15 minute guitar solo (which is how long it was on the 1984 tour [img]graemlins/sleep.gif[/img] ), I think it's easy to imagine Dave pushing to do his thing. And personally I'd have much rather have heard VH jamming one of those four tunes than Dave doing that stupid tai-chi routine, or the sword dance.
    <hr></blockquote>

ON EEAS I remember they closed with California Girls. That was the only song from that album though.

[ January 08, 2002 at 01:23 PM: Message edited by: DLR'sCock ]</p>

Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

03.01.10 @ 10:22 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

1. No way.

2. Probably, although the tunes on that EP don't really sound like Van Halen. No guitar riffs or drumming to speak of... it sounds more like, well, cheese. (Sorry FORD) I love CFTH, but it's true.

I don't think the band would have any aversion to playing Dave solo tunes now (if a reunion occurs), and I don't think they would have in 1986 either. It is the singers who seem to have an aversion to singing songs that are not their own.

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

ALL OF THIM
    Favorite VH Song

EVERYTHING SEP HOW MENY SAY I
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

No and No [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img]
    "I Want The Best! Of Both Worlds!<br />AAAAAAWWWWWWWWW-Van Halen Live With Out A Net.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I doubt CFTH was a whim decision of Dave's, but at the same time, I doubt he had spent lots of time thinking about his future and where this would take him. I would think as an artist there are some songs you just really dig and wish you could have some fun recording on. I wouldn't be shocked if CFTH started out as Dave fooling around with the four songs and then thinking, "Hey, these rough demos sound pretty decent. I could probably get a studio band and some recording time and put together a hot EP."

Of course, from there he probably got the needed ego boost to think he could easily exist outside of the stormy environment of Van Halen. He was coming off of a highly successful album and tour (1984) and another successful EP with just his name on it - why not strike while the iron is hot and abandon what he must have felt was a sinking ship.

Now, assuming in some world he released CFTH and stayed in Van Halen, chances are we wouldn't have heard anything from that album on the next tour. If you wanted to hear a song like California Girls on a VH tour, it would have to have been saved for a cover tune on their followup album.

So basically, I think CFTH was partially curiosity fueled by convenient quality and impatientness.
    "Just once I'd like to do the right thing and not get punished for it."