Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In a Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

02.27.09 @ 02:39 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Just been thinking this through folks. Hypothetically, put yourself in the shoes of some singer. Mitch Malloy, Billy Squier, whoever, right? Now EVH comes up to you and offers you a place as lead singer in Van Halen. Now would ANY singer say yes? If I was offered it (and I am as poor as a church mouse), no matter what the monetary rewards, I could never bring myself to give any other answer than "Ed, you need David Lee Roth in your band. Nobody else will do".
    Now especially in the light of Gary Cherone's tenure with the band, I'd imagine ANY singer would be reluctant to attempt to follow in Dave's footsteps. Not that I want to dig up an old rumour, but I could, for instance, see David Coverdale saying yes (assuming he was offered it). 'Cos he's patently got ego to spare and wouldn't doubt his ability to beat Dave at his own game (LOL!). But given Eddie's aversion to so called "LSD" any singer who had a big enough head to accept the role would, by the same token, rule himself out from being a potential candidate.
    Agree? Nobody would accept an offer to be singer in Van Halen in the Y2K. Nobody, except Dave. If there's a flaw in this logic feel free to point it out folks, but I've just made myself feel a hell of a lot better about the chances of this reunion going through

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

A Different Kind of Truth
    Favorite VH Song

As Is
    Last Online

10.09.12 @ 02:50 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TDR:
    If there's a flaw in this logic feel free to point it out folks, <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Well, assuming that I'd go down to 5150 for a try-out, I'd certainly drag that out to last as long as possible. I guess if you are a vocalist and writer and you sit down with Edward Van Halen and find that the two of you have a chemistry in your writing, I don't see how you could say no. You'd spend the rest of your life wondering about the music that could have been written and the experiences that could have been shared.

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I'd panic, and in my confused and elated state start to sing "Ain't Talkin' About When It's Love."

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In a Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

As far as the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ thing. I'm a singer. I'm cash poor. I mean REAL poor. But no way would I accept that job. Just no way, and I'm not just saying that, I've thought this through. Any person with artistic integrity (which presumably is what Ed is looking for) would just look at the situation and say... no way could the chemistry be as right as it was with EVH AVH MA & DLR. (IMO)

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

David Lee Roth IS Van Halen !!!

------------------
    Eat Us And Smile!!!

"I may not be the best lookin' baby,
    But I'm the right tool for the job." - DLR 1998

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

A Different Kind of Truth
    Favorite VH Song

As Is
    Last Online

10.09.12 @ 02:50 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

As far as the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ thing. I'm a singer. I'm cash poor. I mean REAL poor. But no way would I accept that job. Just no way, and I'm not just saying that, I've thought this through. Any person with artistic integrity (which presumably is what Ed is looking for) would just look at the situation and say... no way could the chemistry be as right as it was with EVH AVH MA & DLR. (IMO)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah but you're looking at it more from a DLR fan point of view than a professional singer's point of view, aren't you? Especially the last sentence, you could equally well replace DLR with SH. I wouldn't but a lot of people (inc EVH for many years) would.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In a Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Of course I'm doing it from a Roth fan's point of view. But I've become a Roth fan because, looking at music in general, there's no better sound than Classic Van Halen. Adding in the failure of Cherone Halen, I don't think anybody would even be willing to try (Mind you I thought that Gary was a big DLR fan and would have said the same thing) so what do I know? Aw shucks. Just get Dave back dammit.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later, Atomic Pu
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Look at how many professional musicians have unabashedly stated they were pulling for the Roth reunion in recent interviews - there's a lot of them that prefer the original lineup. I think it would be a harder decision than we would like to admit.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Short answer: "Ed, my man, tell me what to sing and I'll do it!"

Long answer:

Okay, so maybe half the Van Halen fan population of the world would hate me because my last name wasn't Roth and my first name wasn't Dave, but if Ed and the boys thought I was good enough, wrote good enough material, and fit good enough with the band to sing in it, you bet I would. And it's not a money deal, it's just I'd have a chance to perform with my musical idols, something I'd never pass up.

Hell, you guy would probably hate me though, since I have Dave's vocal range (minus the wolf howls) and Sammy's musical stylings

------------------
    RIGHT NOW I'm livin' on the corner of Mean St. and Old Amsterdam Blvd.
    --------
    "Take your vitamin "T" with salt 'n lemon slice ..."
    UP FRONT FANATIC!

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In a Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

You're both right really aren't you? Yeah I'd be loathe to miss out on the chance myself. But like you say, the number of professional musicians who are cheering Dave on seems to be immense. Didn't Seb Bach say that Dave was the only man for the job or something? I've got a fan's point of view for sure. But I've got a feeling that a large chunk of the viable frontman material out there are Dave fans too y'know? Stuff no more. I do envy you. I sound like Elvis Costello... go figure....

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Stuff no more. I do envy you. I sound like Elvis Costello... go figure.... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Didn't say I sound like Dave, just I can nail his stuff on a good day when I don't sing flat

Happens when no one is around, usually

------------------
    RIGHT NOW I'm livin' on the corner of Mean St. and Old Amsterdam Blvd.
    --------
    "Take your vitamin "T" with salt 'n lemon slice ..."
    UP FRONT FANATIC!

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Many
    Last Online

05.12.06 @ 06:39 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I can't imagine too many people saying no to singing for VH. Hell, Sammy took the job right afer Dave.

------------------
    Nick "I've been to the edge, MMMMThere I stood and looked down."

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I would say to Eddie in his face:

"You want me to be the lead singer of the band VAN HALEN? Here's the catch: David Lee Roth IS Van Halen, and he's already the lead singer in his band." (Pretty cocky I know )

or this:

"There is only one singer for the Real Van Halen - Diamond David Lee Roth. If Diamond Dave isn't good enough for you, then I wouldn't be good enough for you either".

------------------
    Eat Us And Smile!!!

"I may not be the best lookin' baby,
    But I'm the right tool for the job." - DLR 1998

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

BALANCE
    Favorite VH Song

AFTERSHOCK
    Last Online

03.20.07 @ 12:01 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Right now Van Halen IS (officially):
    Edward Van Halen
    Alex Van Halen
    Michael Anthony

From 1974(?) - 1985 Van Halen WAS
    Edward Van Halen
    Alex Van Halen
    Michael Anthony
    David Lee Roth

From 1985 - 1986 Van Halen WAS
    Edward Van Halen
    Alex Van Halen
    Michael Anthony
    Sammy Hagar

From 1997(?) - 1999 Van Halen WAS
    Edward Van Halen
    Alex Van Halen
    Michael Anthony
    Gary Cherone

There I spelled it out for you! To say Van Halen was non existant after DLR is FALSE. To say DLR WAS Van Halen is FALSE. These are FACTS. To say there was no Van Halen after 1985 is FALSE. I dare you to say that, or the idea that DLR made, or was Van Halen, because I'll tell you buddy, you better be wearing a cup!!!

If you need help remembering who Van Halen was, or is currently, I'd be happy to rewrite this message out for you.

Thank you come again.

------------------
    UP FRONT FANATICS!!!

"If I were you, and you were me...wonder who I'd rather be" -- Sammy Hagar

"My idols were always people like Genghis Khan, Muhammad Ali, Alexander the Great, or the guy who invented McDonald's hamburgers" --David Lee Roth