Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Changes with the day
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 11:13 AM
    Liked 541 Times in 322 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Without the usual DLR fan bravado, if this reunion is to be any more than one album/one tour, Dave is going to HAVE to suck it up and do at least 2-3 Sammy tunes, which means he'll have to know 4 or 5. Sammy did Jump, Panama, ATBL, Unchained, and Runnin With the Devil at various times(I'm not counting You Really Got Me, it's a cover), I may have missed one or two. What Sammy era tunes could Dave do (vocal range), and what tunes lend themselves to his style? IMO, I could see Dave do the following:

Summer Nights
    Get Up
    Pleasure Dome
    Human's Being (Hell, why not, Sammy never did it!)
    Finish What Ya Started

There are more I'd LIKE him to do (5150, Take Me Back), but I'm trying to be at least a bit realistic. I also think he'd probably need some help from Mike's range on some.

Last Online

12.08.16 @ 03:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dave has said many times he'll never sing a Hagar song. unless VH lobotomize Dave the way the Eagles did with Joe Walsh, i wouldn't hold my breath. not usual DLR fan bravado either.
    "is this a good show tonight, or fuckin' what?" - DLR, Montreal, 11/10/07

Toronto 10/7...Cleveland 10/10...Toronto 10/12...Montreal 11/10

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

02.20.07 @ 03:36 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I can see Dave giving in and do a couple if it were to make a long-term thing more likely. I would actually prefer him doing a couple simply because the band would seem less like a nostalgia vehicle than a band trying to ignore 15 years of VH existence. If they had to do a few, I think that's a great list! Of course, I don't see PLEASURE DOME being done. "Miles and miles, from nowhere." No way, too high, and it's not his attitude. But the others are pretty good choices. They'd have to take GET UP down at least half-a-step or so. But these would be pretty good choices. They should definitely try HUMANS BEING. I hate FINISH WHAT YA STARTED, but I can see him trying it out because it's still blues, and he likes blues, and it's not hard to sing.
    "I had a girl beating on my hotel door all night...She was screaming, crying. Finally, I said, 'What the hell'...and I let her out!"- DLR

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Humans Being might be a little too fast for Dave. This summer the things he had the most trouble with seemed to be the faster vocals. I'd like to see him try Sucker In A Three Piece. I think he could pull that off with a little help from Mike, and it's closer to a Dave-song than most of the Van Hagar material.

There's only one reason I can see Dave attempting any of Sam's songs: leverage. It'd be a huge concession on his part, just as it was for Sam to sing Dave's material. If there's something he desperately wants from VH, that might be his tool to get it with. Sammy was contractually obligated to do the Dave tunes.

I think the best references for this idea come from Sam and Gary. Both of them have said that the choice of older material was left up to them, and according to Gary all material was left to him discretion. Sam said in an interview that it's all the same to the other 3 guys, and that they didn't really care what his choices were.

All that said, I don't think you'll hear DLR singing anything written between 1986-1998. Not Van Hagar, his own solo tunes, nor the 2 BOV1 songs. Certainly nothing off of 3. If the band goes on stage with Dave, they're all gonna want to do the best show they possibly can. That doesn't include trying to get Dave to sing out of his range. There's 6 albums of material that hasn't been performed by the 4 of them in almost 2 decades. Lot's of good choices there, plus whatever they have from new material. It wouldn't be a 2.5 hour show. We'd be lucky if it runs 2 hours.

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

With this type of conversation, I see Humans Being getting mentioned a fair amount. I just don't see it. I don't believe Dave could even come close to capturing the anger and emotion of this song.

I guess I could see Summer Nights, Finish What Ya Started, or Black and Blue as being songs Dave could handle. Style-wise, I think Black and Blue would be very possible, but the lyrics are bad, and I can't really see Dave wanting to sing them.

I'm with MikeL in that I don't think you'll ever see Dave singing a Sammy Hagar penned song. I would expect that if they wanted Sammy material to be present, they would get Mikey to sing it, but even that concession would really bring a VH show to a stand still. I think it would really kill the momentum of a live show.

But if Dave gives in to doing Sammy material, I'd have to think that he'd use that to get a song (or two) of his solo material into the set. Funny too, because Dave rarely plays solo material at his solo shows anymore, why push it at a true VH concert.

Massachusetts by way of the Great State of New Jersey
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Changes with the day
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 11:13 AM
    Liked 541 Times in 322 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

To inject a minor pro-Sammy/bash Dave note, I would love to see him eat crow, as he swore he would never sing a song from Sammy Hagar. I agree, he'd object, which is one reason a long term relationship won't happen. Eddie wouldn't ignore the Roth era with Sammy, I can't see them ignoring the Sammy era for Dave. Even the Dave fans (except the real nuts ) at least admit Sammy did some good stuff at times.

You'll also note I picked tunes that he can go down some, where there is some talk type singing, and Mikey can do the chorus from Get Up and Pleasure Dome.

I could see him doing Black and Blue, and having some fun with the crowd (or at least the half with, ahem, boobies) with it.

Once again, it brings up all kinds of questions of what lawyers were involved in, and what other people's realities means.

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

03.02.12 @ 08:44 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm not sure if Dave should even attempt to sing Hagar era songs, mainly due to range. First, I can't see Dave singing some of the love songs Hagar wrote. Plus most of the popular Hagar songs that are known to the mainstream are out of Dave's range. Black and Blue, while Dave could do it, isn't a well known song to casual fans, who would be making a good portion of the audience. That said I could see Dave doing:

Best of Both Worlds
    Finish What You Started
    Right Now
    Humans Being - Glenn makes a good point about the anger, but the songs tempo can be changed for attitudxe's sake. The song is in Dave's range. Sammy basically talked that song. Only at the end where he screams, might Dave have a problem.
    Only adventures that I regret are the ones I missed - DLR

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:29 PM
    Liked 1,348 Times in 925 Posts

I dunno 'bout "Right Now"
    I wonder if Dave were allowed to "alter" the lyrics some if that would work - like to "Black And Blue" or "Why Can't This Be Love" or something like that - not talking complete rewrite, just change a line or two here or there to make 'em fit more to Dave's sensibilities. (Has Dave ever used the word "bitch" in a song?)

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Incredible Edible Dude:
    Eddie wouldn't ignore the Roth era with Sammy, I can't see them ignoring the Sammy era for Dave.<hr></blockquote>

Eddie didn't ignore the Roth material with Sammy because he had some sort of love for it or desire to play it live--it was to sell records and draw fans to the shows. And at a time when the bands biggest hits were all from a previous era.

I don't think all that is applicable anymore. It wouldn't be ignoring the Sammy-era so much as just not playing it. Why would people want to see David Lee Roth mangle a Sammy Hagar tune? I know I wouldn't.

There's really no driving reason for them to play a Sammy tune. The show isn't gonna be all that long to begin with. Last summer Dave only played for about 85 minutes or so.

Favorite VH Album

The Classic 6 Pack
    Favorite VH Song

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Last Online

11.04.17 @ 06:01 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 65 Posts

Ah Hell Dave could sing any of em!!!!

Oh.. did you say sing good? and hit the vocal range...??

Well that's another story ain't it...?

Forget the past... on with the new!!! [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img]
    Woke up this mornin, got Blue Moon in your eyes...
    http://www.myretrolounge.com

Last Online

09.04.17 @ 05:32 AM
    Liked 62 Times in 32 Posts

No Sammy songs.

All Dave tunes only.

It's that simple.

Hasn't this topic already been done about billzillion times? [img]graemlins/sleep.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/sleep.gif[/img]
    "Gully, watch yourself. I am dead serious." - Brett Norton, Emperor of VHLinks.com

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

All of them pretty much
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

No one get mad, but Good Enough from 5150, I think it has a Panama vibe going on, right?
    This is home, this is Mean Street!<br /><br /><b><br />Then one year you find ten years have gotten behind, no one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun. - Pink Floyd, Time</b><br /><br />"Everyone knows that Van Halen with Roth is the only real Van Halen."- Mike Tramp<br /><br /><a href="http://www.vhforums.com/vhlforum/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=12;t=001366&p=66#00 1635" target="_blank"> OBEY THE DFK!!</a>

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 08:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Ozzy didn't sing Dio songs on the Sabbath reunion tour and nobody gave a shit.

It's as simple as this... If you want to hear cheese ballads, go to Sammy's show. But don't expect Dave to sing them.

If Dave sings Summer Nights, or anything else off 5150, he'll sing it the way he wrote it.

Sucker in a Three Piece? Dave wrote that one too.

It's called Panama. And the original lyrics were much better.
    Eat Us And Smile

Welcome back, Van HALEN!!!!

...It's the BAND and Dave is really the cat that can front VH. He sang his ASS off and was really cool. No cheese here guys, this is filet Mignon! - Steve Lukather's comment after witnessing a Van HALEN 2007 rehearsal

"What then is this bleating of sheep in my ears?"- 1 Samuel 15:14

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

AFU - Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

07.04.09 @ 09:28 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I personally cringe at the thought of Roth attempting a Hagar tune. I really wouldn't want to see it.

Just pulling a few from this list, there is no way in hell he could pull off Humans Being OR Pleasure Dome. Nope, IMHO.
    The 'Foot has landed.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:36 AM
    Liked 84 Times in 35 Posts

Im sure there are plenty of Sammy songs DLR could sing.

I dont want to hear Dave sing Sammy tunes, just like I didnt like it when Sammy sang Dave tunes.
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.