Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Little Dreamer
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Let me introduce myself as a long time lurker but first time poster.

There is much talk about what Eddie's next move will be with HIS band. I mention Eddie as the key
    person in the decision making because simply, it has always been about EDDIE.

Eddie has always written the music and David Lee Roth and Sammy Hagar should be thankful that they even had a part in Rock and Roll history. I hope to God that neither Sammy or Dave is back with Eddie, Alex, and Mike. Frankly, Who cares?!?
    I don't care who the singer is. It was never about who the singer was, just about Eddie's amazing guitar playing! Eddie was and will always be Van Halen.

I hope Eddie puts out a Santana like record next time. This would be the most ideal move for Eddie.
    Besides contributing lyrics, David Lee Roth was nothing more then a side show.
    And Sammy Hagar was nothing more then a side show playing guitar.
    I will probably be burned for saying all these things about the ex singers but Eddie is the mastermind of Van Halen.

The only thing left for Sammy and Dave to do now is make money off what Eddie made them into.
    Talk about being hard up for money, Sammy and Dave
    are indeed abusing the Van Halen name.

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Plenty to argue about there. But, unarguably, this thread belongs in the Opinions forum, so I'm going to send it there now. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

THE FIRST ALBUM
    Favorite VH Song

ICE CREAM MAN
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Glenn:
    Plenty to argue about there. But, unarguably, this thread belongs in the Opinions forum, so I'm going to send it there now. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

THE FIRST ALBUM
    Favorite VH Song

ICE CREAM MAN
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

EDDIE WITHOUT DAVE IS LIKE STEVEN WITHOUT JOE OR PLANT WITHOUT PAGE. THAT TYPE OF MAGIC DOES NOT HAPPEN OFTEN. THEY WERE THE ULTIMATE COMPLIMENT FOR EACHOTHER. VAN HALEN WOULD NOT HAVE ACHIEVED THAT TYPE OF INITIAL SUCCESS WITHOUT DAVE. ANY TRUE VH FAN CAN SEE THAT. HOW MANY OTHER FRONTMEN WERE AS GOOD AS DAVE. DAVE WAS THE FUN, THE PARTY, THE GOOD TIME VIBE WE ALL GOT OFF ON, EDDIE CREATED THE AMAZING MUSIC. TOGETHER THEY WERE THE ULTIMATE TEAM MAKING THE BEST ROCK OUT THERE. THEY NEEDED EACHOTHER AND STILL DO TO RECLAIM THERE THRONE.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by CLOSETROCKSTAR:
    EDDIE WITHOUT DAVE IS LIKE STEVEN WITHOUT JOE OR PLANT WITHOUT PAGE. THAT TYPE OF MAGIC DOES NOT HAPPEN OFTEN. THEY WERE THE ULTIMATE COMPLIMENT FOR EACHOTHER. VAN HALEN WOULD NOT HAVE ACHIEVED THAT TYPE OF INITIAL SUCCESS WITHOUT DAVE. ANY TRUE VH FAN CAN SEE THAT. HOW MANY OTHER FRONTMEN WERE AS GOOD AS DAVE. DAVE WAS THE FUN, THE PARTY, THE GOOD TIME VIBE WE ALL GOT OFF ON, EDDIE CREATED THE AMAZING MUSIC. TOGETHER THEY WERE THE ULTIMATE TEAM MAKING THE BEST ROCK OUT THERE. THEY NEEDED EACHOTHER AND STILL DO TO RECLAIM THERE THRONE.
    Eddie Van Halen created the music...PERIOD!
    Dave didn't do anything but act like a comedian and a drunk on stage and could not sing a note half the time because he was either very high or very drunk!

Dave didn't do anything to create the music in Van Halen other then write lyrics. Sammy the same.
    Sammy played guitar when told to. Although, Sammy could sing.

I have listened to Van Halen from the begining because of Eddie Van Halen not because of David Lee Roth. Van Halen was noticed to the music world because critics were blown away due to Eddie's playing. Nobody since Hedrix has come along and created music like Eddie.

The tour with Sam and Dave is nothing more then a money maker for them both. They owe Eddie everything they've gotten up to this point. They are both washed up and are nothing anymore.

Favorite VH Album

The Classic 6 Pack
    Favorite VH Song

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Last Online

11.04.17 @ 06:01 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 65 Posts

Y'all got it all wrong...

Eddie and Alex are just figure-head puppets!! [img]graemlins/scared.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/scared.gif[/img]

Mikey is the man behind the curtain... we know who wears the pants in this family!!! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/sssh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img]
    Woke up this mornin, got Blue Moon in your eyes...
    http://www.myretrolounge.com

Favorite VH Album

Live in Largo '82
    Favorite VH Song

Sunday P.M in the Park/1 Ft...
    Last Online

11.22.16 @ 05:46 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Originally posted by Trailer Park Kid:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by CLOSETROCKSTAR:
    Eddie Van Halen created the music...PERIOD!
    Dave didn't do anything but act like a comedian and a drunk on stage and could not sing a note half the time because he was either very high or very drunk!

Dave didn't do anything to create the music in Van Halen other then write lyrics. Sammy the same.
    Sammy played guitar when told to. Although, Sammy could sing.

I have listened to Van Halen from the begining because of Eddie Van Halen not because of David Lee Roth. Van Halen was noticed to the music world because critics were blown away due to Eddie's playing. Nobody since Hedrix has come along and created music like Eddie.

The tour with Sam and Dave is nothing more then a money maker for them both. They owe Eddie everything they've gotten up to this point. They are both washed up and are nothing anymore.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Holy shit. Open your eyes, dude.

You're only getting one side of the story. There are only a few things in the world that Dave & Sammy will agree on, & Eddie needing outside help (from a singer) to finish songs with melodies and lyrics is one of them. He didn't write all of the music, they ALL did (except Mike on the later albums)....

You aren't EVHMM1994 from The Army are you?
    Q: Recording the album took so long your Australian tour last year was cancelled. What was it like in the studio? There's a history of tension between you and Eddie Van Halen...

DLR: It was like a stand off in a Chuck Norris movie. We each had the laser dot on everybody's forehead waiting for the other guy to blink. Except for Wolfie, he had a Super Soaker ...

Last Online

08.11.17 @ 05:38 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

David Lee Roth and Sammy Hagar should be thankful that they even had a part in Rock and Roll history. I hope to God that neither Sammy or Dave is back with Eddie, Alex, and Mike. Frankly, Who cares?!?
    I seems to me, quite a few people care- some want Dave, some want Sammy. How about both?

I don't care who the singer is. It was never about who the singer was, just about Eddie's amazing guitar playing! Eddie was and will always be Van Halen.
    He is amazing, I agree. Why not just release a whole album of guitar solos?

I hope Eddie puts out a Santana like record next time. This would be the most ideal move for Eddie.
    Besides contributing lyrics, David Lee Roth was nothing more then a side show.
    But it was a fun side show. I think you underestimate the contribution of Mr. Roth during the early years. I'm sure Ed would have made it without the rest of the boys, but then we wouldn't have the VH we all know and love.

The only thing left for Sammy and Dave to do now is make money off what Eddie made them into.
    Talk about being hard up for money, Sammy and Dave
    are indeed abusing the Van Halen name.
    I don't think that either of them is concerned about money. How are they abusing the VH name- by playing VH songs? Didn't Ed abuse it more by bringing in Cherone to sing the Dave and Sam songs? I don't know anybody who thought that was a good idea. That guy lasted a long time...

Last Online

12.09.17 @ 07:17 AM
    Liked 724 Times in 341 Posts

Excuse me, go listen to Van Halen II, then listen to F.U.C.K., then listen to Van Halen 3. Now after you have done that, if you can say that the songwriting was all done by Eddie, you need seek professional help.
    Dude, I will agree with you that Eddie is a great guitar player, but he would have been a great guitar player in the clubs in L.A. to this day if David Lee Roth was not in the lineup at the beginning.
    I think you are underestimating the powerful influence of a good frontman. I don't have any idea if you are in a band or not, but having that connection with the crowd is as important as a blazing guitar solo.
    There is only one Van Halen, that is Dave, Eddie, Alex, and Mike. Van Halen with Sammy was just Sammy Hagar with a better band. Van Halen with Gary was the frustrating sound of a band in vain search of a musical idea.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 10:23 AM
    Liked 1,463 Times in 898 Posts

Eddie is Van Halen because he seems to be the only one left in the band (that we've seen at least).
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Survey says!... BZZZ

Understandable, your misconception, yes, but wrong nonetheless. I wish I could find the specific interview where Sammy said it, but not long ago he described the Van Halen songwriting process as this:

Eddie came up with riffs that Sammy arranged into a song. Mike and Al would come in and lay down their own respective instruments. Then Sammy came up with lyrics.

Of course, there was this little story from late 2000. Pay attention to the bold text at the end.

Green: What's your worst money horror story?

SH: When I was in Montrose, we were supposed to get $150 a week and $10 per diem. We went on the road for three years and only came home to make the second record. We did the Wolfman Jack show, everything. I was married and had a kid. We didn't get paid for like six months. We were making $400 a night and it cost probably that to be on the road. We had one credit card with a $250 limit on it. We were on tour with Humble Pie. My phone's turned off at home. My wife's not getting paid, at home with a 2-year-old baby. We tried to check out of a hotel room. They held us there, and said you're not leaving 'cuz our credit card had no money on it.

I said 'I gotta do something.' I called my mom. That's why I take care of her. We finally got our royalty check. I was the songwriter in the band, so I got $5000. That hurt the band. Everyone said, 'Sammy's getting all the money, I wanna be the songwriter.' Eddie Van Halen, Ronnie Montrose, those guys are riff guys.
    "Just once I'd like to do the right thing and not get punished for it."

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Meanstreet
    Last Online

05.18.12 @ 09:24 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Besides contributing lyrics, David Lee Roth was nothing more then a side show. And Sammy Hagar was nothing more then a side show playing guitar.
    This could quite possibly be the most ignorant post I've ever read here.

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by CLOSETROCKSTAR:
    EDDIE WITHOUT DAVE IS LIKE STEVEN WITHOUT JOE OR PLANT WITHOUT PAGE.
    ...or Roger without Pete, Howlin' Wolf without Hubert Sumlin or Willie Johnson, Muddy Waters without Jimmy Rogers, Sonny Terry without Brownie McGhee, Eddie Vedder without Stone Gossard and Mike McCready, Ozzy without Randy or Tony or Zakk, Freddie without Brian, and Junior Wells without Buddy Guy... [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img]

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Stuff No More:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Trailer Park Kid:
    Survey says!... BZZZ

Understandable, your misconception, yes, but wrong nonetheless. I wish I could find the specific interview where Sammy said it, but not long ago he described the Van Halen songwriting process as this:

Eddie came up with riffs that Sammy arranged into a song. Mike and Al would come in and lay down their own respective instruments. Then Sammy came up with lyrics.

Of course, there was this little story from late 2000. Pay attention to the bold text at the end.

Green: What's your worst money horror story?

SH: When I was in Montrose, we were supposed to get $150 a week and $10 per diem. We went on the road for three years and only came home to make the second record. We did the Wolfman Jack show, everything. I was married and had a kid. We didn't get paid for like six months. We were making $400 a night and it cost probably that to be on the road. We had one credit card with a $250 limit on it. We were on tour with Humble Pie. My phone's turned off at home. My wife's not getting paid, at home with a 2-year-old baby. We tried to check out of a hotel room. They held us there, and said you're not leaving 'cuz our credit card had no money on it.

I said 'I gotta do something.' I called my mom. That's why I take care of her. We finally got our royalty check. I was the songwriter in the band, so I got $5000. That hurt the band. Everyone said, 'Sammy's getting all the money, I wanna be the songwriter.' Eddie Van Halen, Ronnie Montrose, those guys are riff guys.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Sammy came up with the melody but Eddie wrote about 99.9% of the music involved throughout each song. It's funny you didn't mention what Dave was involved in the writing process, because he had no
    involvement what so ever except with the lyrics.

So once again my argument stands with Eddie being the creator of the music with Sammy and Dave singing what Eddie created.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Lem Motlow:
    I don't think that either of them is concerned about money. How are they abusing the VH name- by playing VH songs? Didn't Ed abuse it more by bringing in Cherone to sing the Dave and Sam songs? I don't know anybody who thought that was a good idea. That guy lasted a long time...[/QB][/QUOTE]

Neither Dave or Sammy is concerned about the money? Don't kid yourself! Both their careers are washed up.

Eddie didn't abuse VH songs by having Gary sing the songs. You keep forgetting that Eddie wrote the music and he can have anyone he likes to sing the songs. Gary did an excellent job with the old VH songs.