Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was looking at the setlists for roths 99 solo tour and it looks like van halen was playing. On just about every setlist there were like 12 vh songs and two roth solo songs. It also said that the guitar player was playing spanish fly and eruption and was immitating eddies mannerisms, what a joke. One fan put it best when he said " i bought a ticket for the DLR band not a van halen cover band".
    So then, in fairness, I went to Sammys site and checked out his setlists for the 99 tour. It was the complete opposite of roths tour. Where Roth would play two solo songs sammy would play 4 or 5 vh songs and the rest solo.
    If you went to a Roth or Sammy solo concert last year youre best bet was Sammy because if youre going for whats on the ticket ,which is a solo artist, you got just that when you went to a hagar concert. But if you only like going to roth and sammy solo soncerts because of the vh songs they play then youre best bet is roth but from what i hear there are better vh cover bands out there that you could see instead of DLR.

------------------
    "You can't make the wind come, but you can learn to raise your sail and catch it when it does" Robert Fripp

Eruption
    Last Online

07.10.17 @ 09:12 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 10 Posts

Funny thing is you make no sense. Whether you go to a DLR or Sammy "solo" show they play their songs. Each was a member of Vh and had creative input in each song that they played therefore they actually "own" part of those songs also.
    So I guess then with your view on things then you would have to consider VH a cover band on the last VHIII tour. Right?

------------------
    500 horses and a Chrysler mill, makes the Limecuda the king of the hill

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I didn't see Dave on his 1999 tour because he never came anywhere near my area. But I was disappointed by his setlist of mostly Van Halen songs. Not because he hasn't got the right to play them, but because he has a lot of great solo songs that I feel would sound great live. But while I would have preferred Dave to mix in more of his solo work, I don't see a problem with him doing Van Halen songs, because he co-wrote them and therefore they are as much his songs as anyone's. Same with Sammy, he co-wrote the Van Halen songs from his era, so he has every right to play them live. Having said that, I think it was way out of line for Bart Walsh to be playing Eruption on the DLR tour. That's Eddie's song and I feel it should have been left alone.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

05.28.08 @ 07:33 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ok guys, I agree that Dave has quality solo material to choose from, but I think I understand why he played mostly VH. I think it was originally intended to show that he could still sing all of those songs, contrary to what Alex and Edward said. Also, he pointed out that most people would rather hear the old stuff, instead of his latest and greatest. "You think people piled in to see Page and Plant perform Walking Into Clarksdale? Hell no, they wanted to hear Whole Lotta Love." See his point?

------------------
    DLR Army webmaster

http://www.dlrarmy.com

Red-Balled Mammoth
    Right Brownsound, but it was his SOLO career.

------------------
    "God bless ya southern California, you people are bad-asssss"-DLR at the '83 Us Festival

Super Duper Frontman YankeeRose's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:55 PM
    Liked 197 Times in 123 Posts

I disagree with FORD saying that Gary didn't sing DLR/VH songs well. I thought he did a great job on Mean Street, Ain't Talkin' Bout Love and Panama! I saw Dave sing Mean Street on his last tour, and it wasn't as good as the VH one with Gary.
    I also thought it sucked that Dave played 90% VH. But I was was happy that he played my favorite song Yankee Rose!

------------------
    Right Now you're reading my post!
    Here's a shot heard round the world...
    Sometimes I just want to do nothing...

Top Of The World
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Edward, Alex, Mike & Gary were a Van Halen cover band on the III tour.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

move the shit to rumors...

On Fire
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

if i want to listen to van halen ill go see ROTH... if i want to see a VH cover band ill go see VH with whoever they can scrounge up to sing!!!

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 08:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RAFTER:
    I was looking at the setlists for roths 99 solo tour and it looks like van halen was playing.

And if you find some good boots (i.e. Dallas) it sounds like Van Halen too !

On just about every setlist there were like 12 vh songs and two roth solo songs. It also said that the guitar player was playing spanish fly and eruption and was immitating eddies mannerisms, what a joke. One fan put it best when he said " i bought a ticket for the DLR band not a van halen cover band".

Did your friend also think VD III was a "cover band"?

So then, in fairness, I went to Sammys site and checked out his setlists for the 99 tour. It was the complete opposite of roths tour. Where Roth would play two solo songs sammy would play 4 or 5 vh songs and the rest solo.

This seems to be a pattern for Sammy. He only wanted to do 4 Van HALEN songs on Van Hagar tours. Sammy was promoting Red Voodoo. Dave was giving Van Halen fans the classic VH show they were cheated out of in 1996.

If you went to a Roth or Sammy solo concert last year youre best bet was Sammy because if youre going for whats on the ticket ,which is a solo artist, you got just that when you went to a hagar concert. But if you only like going to roth and sammy solo soncerts because of the vh songs they play then youre best bet is roth but from what i hear there are better vh cover bands out there that you could see instead of DLR.

Well, VDIII sure wasn't one of them. Their singer's Sammy impression was awful and his Dave impression was worse

------------------
    F.O.R.D. Country

Van HALEN is: Dave, Eddie, Mikey, Alex. Any questions?

Eat Us And Smile!!

[This message has been edited by FORD (edited August 25, 2000 at 12:28 AM).]

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

"Dance the Night Away"
    Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

That's funny! VH III a total cover band? Gary actually performed more original songs he wrote with Van Halen in concert then Dave's original solo stuff at his show.

Gary performed:

"Without You"
    "Year to the Day"
    "Fire in the Hole"
    "Josephina"
    "One I Want"

Dave originals:

"Yankee Rose"
    "Slam Dunk"

*** By the way, to back an earlier post, listen to Gary sing "Mean Street" in 1998 and then listen to Dave sing it in 1999. I admit he struggled a bit with the Sammy stuff, but Gary NAILED the Dave material down.

*** The difference here is that Gary had to do covers. Dave chose to do them.

Favorite VH Album

All of em
    Favorite VH Song

Impossible to name only one
    Last Online

01.08.17 @ 09:19 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

You cant really blame Dave, i mean thats what people want to hear are the Van Halen songs. Dave doesnt really have enough solo stuff to fill a show with anyway, not real known songs except a few. I could never understand, you have Dave on his solo tour doing alot of Van Halen and proving he can still do it, and you had Van Halen with Gary and they were doing the same thing yet something just wasnt quite right. Neither were doing as well as classic VH and I just wanted to say damn you guys, you clearly still have it and you know what people want, so why not stop being buttholes and get back together?

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I can blame Dave, and I do! I'm a big DLR solo fan, and damn it, I wanted to hear some solo work. I had a great time at the show, but I'd rather have heard something other than DLR singing for a cover band. That's really how it felt. I still enjoyed it immensly, though.

Top Of The World
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah Georgie, and what was the reason people went to see the III tour -- to hear Gary perform "Without You," or to hear Gary, Ed, Alex & Mike cover their earlier material?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 01:27 PM
    Liked 11,578 Times in 4,934 Posts

Man that is scary that some of you would rather see DLR with a wanna-be VH cover band, than see Ed, Alex and Mike. Whatever!! I went to see the "III" tour because I wanted to see VH. I could care less about the friggin' set list, they could play Monkees covers and I would have been fine with that. Some of us moved on after Dave, I don't understand why that isn't acceptable to some of you. I am not trying to be confrontational really, I just don't get it. As frustrated as some of the DLR guys get with our responses, I get JUST as frustrated with yours. I certainly didn't hear anyone booing when VH played stuff from, "III." In fact the response was pretty good, gee go figure.

------------------
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

[This message has been edited by Brett (edited August 28, 2000 at 03:54 PM).]