Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Little Dreamer
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

FIRST POST TO THIS SIGHT FOR ME......VAN HALEN FAN, THROUGH & THROUGH. I'VE VISITED THIS SIGHT PLENTY AND I THINK IT'S GREAT. ABOUT VH : THIS MUSIC WAS SUPERIOR TO ANYTHING BEING PRODUCED AT THE TIME, AND TO THIS DAY, THERE HAS BEEN NO SUBSTITUTE FOR WHAT THIS BAND HAS DONE. (MY OPINION ONLY, OF COURSE). FROM WHAT I HAVE WITNESSED OVER THE YEARS, DAVE LEFT THE BAND, HE WANTED TO WORK, AND CREATE NEW MUSIC....KEEP THE TRAIN ROLLING. THERE WAS A POINT IN TIME WHEN THE REST OF THE BAND WAS KIND OF AT A STAND-STILL ('84-'85), AND DAVE HAD THE "ITCH" COMING OFF OF 1984 AND WANTED TO STRIKE WHILE THE IRON WAS STILL HOT, THE BAND SEEMED TO NEED TIME, AND DAVE HAD NO OUTLET, SO HE WENT ON HIS OWN. HE HAD NO CHOICE BUT TO STAND BEHIND HIS DECISION, AND MAKE IT LOOK AS IF IT WAS THE BEST THING FOR HIM, HE WAS STILL SELLING MULTI-PLATINUM ALBUMS AT THAT TIME. HE NEEDED TO SELL HIMSELF, AS MUCH, AND AS RELENTLESSLY AS HE SOLD VAN HALEN WHEN HE WAS IN THE BAND. DAVE CAME OUT OF AN ERA OF MUSIC WHERE WORD OF A BAND GOT OUT BY WORD OF MOUTH, AND RADIO AIRPLAY. WHEN VAN HALEN ROLLED THROUGH TOWN, ALL YOU HAD WAS THE ALBUM, THE PICTURES OF THE BAND ON THAT ALBUM, AND THE MYSTIQUE AND MYSTERY SURROUNDING THE RUMORS, (MAYBE) HEARD A RADIO INTERVIEW WHEN THE BAND GOT TO TOWN, AND THEN THE ULTIMATE CONCERT TO WITNESS. NOWADAYS, HOW MANY MEDIA OUTLETS ARE THERE WITH MORE INFORMATION ABOUT A GROUP THAN ONE WOULD EVER IMAGINE. I WISH DAVE ROLLED WITH THE TIMES, AND WAS THE ULTIMATE FRONTMAN ON STAGE, AND A "TURN-IT-DOWN-A-NOTCH-OR-SEVEN" GUY OFF OF IT. I WISH, THAT DAVE REALIZED HOW THE LANDSCAPE HAS CHANGED....THAT THE ANTICS THAT MADE VAN HALEN BELOVED BY FANS AROUND THE WORLD, NEED TO BE PERFORMED ON STAGE, THAT'S WHERE THE OUTRAGEOUS BEHAVIOR WOULD BE BEST APPRECIATED, EVERYTHING IS "PUBLIC" NOW. I BELIEVE DAVE HAS WANTED "BACK" WITH THE BAND, PRETTY MUCH SINCE HE LEFT, BECAUSE IT "WAS" A "STELLAR PRODUCTION". THOSE OF US WHO STILL LOVE THIS BAND "KNOW" IT WAS ! WHO WOULDN'T HAVE BEEN BLOWN AWAY IF, BACK IN '96, DAVE HAD SAID, BOTH IN PUBLIC, AND PRIVATE, OR AT THE MTV AWARDS FOR THAT MATTER....THAT HE'S DONE WITH THE NONSENSE, THAT HE, AND THE BAND JUST WANT TO FLAT OUT SHAKE UP THE BUSINESS AGAIN, AND THAT THEY WERE ALL FOCUSED ON DOING SO, AND WAS SERIOUS, AND APPRECIATED HIS CHANCE TO WORK WITH ED AND THE BOYS AGAIN, AND SHOWED "JUST A HINT" OF HUMILITY ? DON'T YOU THINK EVERYONE WOULD HAVE SUDDENLY TAKEN HIM DEADLY SERIOUS ? HOW COULD THE BAND HAVE SAID "NO" TO RE-LIGHTING THE TORCH ? AND IF YOU WANT TO SEE THE "GOOD TIMES HAD BY ALL-DAVE"....HE COULD HAVE TOLD EVERYONE TO "PAY US A VISIT IN CONCERT, AND WE'LL REMIND YOU WHAT A VAN HALEN SHOW IS ALL ABOUT". THAT WOULD HAVE SOLD TICKETS, AND EVERYONE'S JAW WOULD HAVE DROPPED TO THE FLOOR. I THINK THAT DAVE WOULD HAVE HAD THE FURTHEST DISTANCE TO TRAVEL IN THAT REGARD (HUMILITY), HE COULD HAVE BECOME THE CATALYST FOR WHAT HE, AND MANY FANS WISHED FOR, AND IT WOULD HAVE BEEN A GREAT MOMENT IN ROCK.

Favorite VH Album

1984/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

5150/Crossing Over
    Last Online

02.06.17 @ 05:47 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Great post.
    The only thing I would say is, from what I remember, Dave's idea of "keeping the train rolling" after 1984 was to make a goofy movie and to put out a live record with a new song or two. The live album would have been fine with me but I'm sure the movie would have been a mess.
    The song ain't dirty
    It's really just the way we sing it

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:56 PM
    Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts

Premium Member
    Not a bad 1st post bro. Good work

But lay off the cap if you could. Makes the eys go a bit...funny

Cool bro anyway. welcome aboard [img]smile.gif[/img]
    A little zen....... Headed your way.......

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sorry about the caps (bad habit of mine), and lack of spacing....I'll get better ! I guess the point i was making is..... i'm fearful the chances this band had to "grow" (with dave) as ed said back in '96 have past. I think if dave (and the other guys too) had a little more humility amongst themselves, back then, ed would have seen the "growth" he was looking for, instead, it appeared to ed as "going backwards", and if they realized that what made them "click" was the chemistry between the 4 of them, not "I'm this" or "I'm that" "mine is bigger than yours" stuff coming from ed & dave, that situation would have worked, and would have qualified as growth.

The band should, in my opinion, and if they want to be a part of the industry anymore, do exactly what i've read on this sight previously, which was a great idea, do a 2-disc album with sam & dave (one cd entitled "dave" and one entitled "sam"). I don't know.....maybe 6-8 songs each....both working with the band at seperate points in time to produce it....and do a "grand finally" tour. Then, move on to life without each other. It would be best served to lay out the plans, so that no-one had any ideas of it being a long term thing. If ed & the guys wanted to pursue another singer, they could, if it dysfunctionally worked, somehow, with both singers in the future, they could proceed with that, or, everyone could go their own ways. some ideas sound great as you think of them, but, when you step back and consider the parties involved and what has been.....it's hard to imaging anything of that nature happening.

Concert venues would be filled to the brim if everyone had one last chance to see this band in either, or both forms of it's existance. I'm with you guys......the world needs some vh, and a little van halen never hurt anybody !

p.s. I think dave had some ideas back in the mid-
    eighties (good or bad) and wanted to
    capitalize on his & the band's popularity at
    the time. The movie thing was just one of
    those ideas that he couldn't (or wasn't
    allowed to) pursue while in the band, and
    probably for good reason, but who knows?

Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

strung out....
    Last Online

02.28.14 @ 07:54 PM
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

have you seen my baseball... [img]graemlins/drunk.gif[/img]

Unchained
    Last Online

03.04.06 @ 06:04 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The post was certainly Rah-Rah-sis-boom-ba, but me thinks your kind of a cockeyed optimist. The possibility that you think Dave can do what he did almost 20 years ago is a pipe dream my friend. If Roth turned into Mr. Humility it wouldn't matter because he can't deliver the goods any longer. VH music would have to change so much to accommodate his limited vocal ability that you wouldn't even recognize it. Got to let the dream go. Dave is not coming back under any circumstances.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

as ed said on the sam and dave shoe on VH1 when sam joined the band, " It's great! we can do anything we want and make any kind of music we want" listen.... friction is good for a band you just gots keep it in perspective. it works for everyband and makes for great way to create great music. its just that ED began to think he was bigger than he thought in the past hence becomming more controlling than dave. the difference is dave knows what hes doing and him controlling what the band did was a good thing cause thats his gig, he did know what was best for the band and had many kore talents than just singing. dave know how to create period. whether its lyrics, videos, or the stage show, he knew what the people wanted. ed doesnt, he the musical genious and should leave everything else to qualified personel.

my question is who told ed he could sing ? [img]smile.gif[/img]

BTW: I seen dave on the VH1 special 'sam and dave show' and it showed dave on that tour. he did his sig scream before a song and hit it dead on. I have heard him live and sounded great to me. I think he should cool it trying to sing out of his range which makes him sound worse than he is but when he sticks to his vocal range and the range he sang when with VH he sounds the same to me! other than his voice he can also kick off the drum riser which I doubt you and I could do, still in great shape and could kik both our a$#%s.
    wheres your six pack bro ? show me someone at his age that has that energy at his age and can still be a stage presense.

[ October 19, 2002, 02:03 PM: Message edited by: bru77 ]

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

03.03.11 @ 01:36 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The thing for me is that when Dave started out he took the frontman gig to a higher level and your right he was a presence, wrote the lyrics, the whole nine yards and hugely charismatic, then....,

MTV comes along, video's 24 hrs, Dave TV, Dave wanted to be creative in that medium, but....

I think that he created this cartoonlike character that was nothing like the Dave that first fronted Van Halen, but was born of the Video age, I think that he has continued that ever since, He is still the same dude he was and has many of the same attributes in 1977, but I think you have to look harder for them beyond the personna that he presents. I'm sure alot of you will disagree with me.
    It's good to be the King or at least know him.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hit the ground runnin'
    Last Online

06.03.10 @ 11:18 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Hey bru77, that was a kick ass post!!! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] I actually thought the exact same thing about Dave's scream. Did you also notice his spin kick? Geez, after reading alot of the posts about the tour last summer I must admit that I was a little worried. But after seeing those live clips of DLR's set, he sounded great to me. Did you also notice Sammy whining that Dave was getting more applause at some of the shows and if it weren't for him, Dave wouldn't even be there? It was like Dave owed Sam. They both should thank each other for bringing themselves back in the spotlight again.
    EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

"Please don't take my teddy bear... Please!!!" - diamondsgirl's Oscar nominated dramatic scene for best actress of 2007

"and by Van Halen, I mean David Lee Roth" - diamondsgirl on Van Halen