Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 77 12341151 ... LastLast
    jorL5150-----------------
    no i am not trying to compete w/ the
    "eat us.." gang i just thought we ought to have a topic for general HAGAR discussion..

--
    yankee rose brought up a point about sammy's band the WABORITA's , to be fair , after van halen who would sound good?

anyway check this out:
    i was browsing through the van halen news desk the other day and read this interview w/ sammy.
    http://www.vhnd.com/archive/breakup/ap.html

basically sammy mentions that he was approached by some people after he left vh....anyone know who? not that it matters since he intends to stay with the waboritas for now..but iwas curious if anyone had further info

my friends and i speculated about: grateful dead--this was around thetime of garcias death and sam and 'dead' drummer mickey hart are close buddies. i know that is a stretch but maybe it was one of the satelite bands the formed the grateful dead.

journey-- about the time steve perry had to bow out w/ voice problems( or maybe he just still hated the band) sammy is friends with niel schon and jon cain.

a friend also suggested a montrose reunion.. hard to say what do you guys think??

---
    this a pro-hagar topic so lets tak redrock!

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 08:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

The scenarios you described did happen to some extent.....

Montrose DID reunite briefly during the recording of Marching to Mars. They play on the track "Warmth of the Womb", (which Sammy had originally written as a Van Hagar song and Eddie had briefly considered for the Twister/best of vol 1 sessions)

Sammy played a benefit concert in the Bay Area some time in 1998 that also featured the surviving members of the Grateful Dead.

I don't think either scenario ever had much of a chance of becoming permanent. Deadheads would be worse about anybody replacing Jerry than VH fans are about anyone replacing Dave.

As for Journey, while Sammy and Neal Schon have worked well together in the past, it didn't sound anything like Journey (thank God) and I don't see them working together under that name. Actually, in my opinion, Neal should have continued to call his band "Bad English" as long as anybody other than Steve Perry was singing.

------------------
    F.O.R.D. Country

Eat Us And Smile!!

[This message has been edited by FORD (edited April 26, 2000 at 12:53 PM).]

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning or 1984 by mood
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

07.19.13 @ 08:52 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Interesting stuff. And even as a neophyte EUAS'er and a die-hard Roth-'n-Rollah, I say, "Why the hell not?" to a Hagar-dedicated thread.

Just so long as it doesn't devolve into an excuse for flame wars, it seems a Hagar thread would be an excellent way to "bring 'balance' to the force", if you will. Doubt I'd participate much, but I bet it would make for interesting reading...

------------------
    Eat Us And Smile!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning=Dave 5150=Sammy
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained or Summer Nights
    Last Online

11.09.16 @ 04:17 AM
    Liked 65 Times in 41 Posts

One thing about the Grateful Dead. They are no longer around as we all know but Phil Lesh (a truely great bass player) has been playing a series of concerts with what he dubbed "Phil and Friends" hw has played with Dylan, Phish, amd a long list of other great musicians. Second thing is that Bob Weir (vocals and rythem guitar) and Mickey Hart(percussionist and down right ass kicker, he also did the soundtrack for Apolcalypse Now) have team up with a group of other musicians including Bruce Hornsby(kick ass keyboard player)and have toured a few years as the Other Ones no studio releases though more like a summertime concert band that plays together. Sammy did a song with Mickey Hart not too long ago something about the millenium or something.Sammy also mentioned Jerry Garia in 95 when I saw him with VH before he sang Where Eagles Fly, something about Garcia being a neighbor and a really nice guy and that he would be missed by all. Anyhow that was just a little info probable more than you wanted.

As for anything permanant I think Sammy will Always reamin a solo artist barring a VH reunion

------------------
    IS IT VAN ROTH? OR VAN HAGAR? OR VAN CHERONE? NO MOTHERFUCKER IT IS VAN HALEN!!!!

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A Hagar Thred would rock. Count me in.HSAS I remember him saying that was just a one time thing to do with his friends

cool , thanks guys....i was aware of ronnie montrose on "marching " i really didn't think that there would ever be a permanent thing ,with sammy joining a band full-time, just curious.

and ford makes a good point about journey( although steve perry is not an original member) . schon also had a group called " hardline" i only heard one song and it was hard rock , but it did not last. soon perry resurfaced , the journey box set came out and then the reuinion... i will still probably see "journey" they are booked to do a show this summer here in columbus with boston. schon is an amazing guitarist.

and no, i do not want a rivalry w/ roth fans. i am a roth -fan and have visited the "eat us and.." thread many times.

speaking of marching to mars, has anyone heard the two tracks that were deleted off the american release?
    1- "wash me down" a heavy bluesy
    2- "ether" imagine a short "respectthe wind"

you could get them from an import, my brother has an mp3 of wash me down and i have the boot sammy at red rocks it has 'ether'...
    =============================================

up front fanatics...tearin' down the barricades...to reach the stage..can you feel the raaaaagggee!?!?!

Super Duper Frontman YankeeRose's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

12.08.17 @ 01:39 PM
    Liked 197 Times in 123 Posts

Hi jorL5150! Yes I think that Sammy can and should get a better band than the Waborita's! You must be a Stan Lee fan with a title like Up front fanatics. My idea is that Sammy should form a supergroup kind of like the Damn Yankees or maybe get top musicians like Coverdale did in Whitesnake. I think he might be able to get Vai because I heard he wants to play in a band again. That would be cool! Or maybe Ted Nugent. Another thing is he could work with Page on a album. Hagar/Page would rock.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

A Hagar group thread, ah, music to mine ears I was just wondering if someone should start one of these but seeing as how less vocal the Hagarites are I figured it would never happen.

Man, it would be funny as hell if Van Halen finally did announce a new singer and it was Sammy instead of Dave. Granted, I KNOW that won't happen, but you have to admit no one would expect it.

------------------
    "That's How it Is When You Tell the Truth"

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

"Dance the Night Away"
    Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I would love the Sammy return! He buries Roth!

we all ahve our vh preferances, but you have to admit , roth in halen is something special, and it would definately put vh back on top of the heap...i am fully supportive of this (plus all those that only like roth will finally stop bitching about sammy! )

sammy is letting the door open a bit to a limited vh reunion, i do believe it could happen ( and i have a private bet w/ my brother in this regard..) for the meantime though sammy is happy and successful and i'll support him anyway shape or form - how 'bout that tequila drinking contest- hope no one croaks! i miss "van hagar" but hey, all good things....

as for yankee's suggestions on back-up.. i was originally hoping that michael anthony would follow sammy, they could have done the tres gusanos thing, it's not like mike has a lot of lattitude in vh. and there is no question sam was treated unfairly, i know that had to upset mike. now, mike can't even talk to sam w/out catching hell from "the brothers"..sigh.....
    yeah,hagar/page..what a concept..too good to be true. in the past jimmy page has done these team-ups just because he couldn't get plant's ass motivated, then he HAD to outdo coverdale...maybe when page wises up and drops the black crowes- i KNOW sammy would love to jam w / his idol jimmy page.THAT is a supergroup!

this cool guys! we need to keep this thread hot!
    LET'S TURN THIS WHOLE PLACE RED!!!!!

--------------

up front fanatics...!

------------btw- yankee, STAN is THE MAN!
    i heard he will go over to dc to a special superman story!!WOW!!!

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

02.16.17 @ 10:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think it would totally be awesome if Sammy did something with Jimmy Page. It wouldn't even have to be an album (but that would rule!), a tour would suffice. Could you imagine Sammy's take on the Zep tunes? Or Page's take on the Halen tunes? Page better start practicin'!
    I'm just happy to see Sammy having fun, making records. This summer, my friend and I are going to have a little road trip down to Cabo. Anyone know if he'll be there this summer?

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Yeah, I'm behind a Roth reunion. I think it would rock if someday down the line when all the hard feelings are put away if all five of them could get on stage one night and record a concert with both Van Halens at once. That would rule

But in the meantime I need to go see if I can track down some of the new Sammy records. Is he back with Geffen these days, or what?

------------------
    "That's How it Is When You Tell the Truth"

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I would most like to see Sammy back with VH. But since that seems to be a long shot at this point, I would like to see him at least get back with Bill Church. He was a legend on bass. As far as the rest goes, Victor Johnson is a decent guitarist, but I would rather seem him play rythm guitar and Sammy take the lead.
    Oh and YankeeRose, I think the source of his title Up Front Fanatics is actually a line from Sammy's song Heavy Metal "We got up front fanatics, tearing down the barricade, to reach the stage, can you feel the rage."

Super Duper Frontman YankeeRose's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

12.08.17 @ 01:39 PM
    Liked 197 Times in 123 Posts

Yes Hagar/Page would be great!!! I remember there was a poll on Sammys site recently about who would you like Sammy to team up with, and Page was one of the choices! Sorry Brahma I don't remember that line from Heavy Metal. I am a huge comic book fan too jorL! I remember Stan saying he wanted to write Superman. I can't wait for the X-men movie! It's going to be awesome I think.

i hope the x-men movie rocks...i will have to wait and see...usually comic book movies suck and really embarass the comic fans...i don't even WANT to tell you what i have heard about the proposed superman movie-it just makes me angry! the best comic movie ever was the fisrt superman/chris reeve film. but w/out director richard donner it went downhill fast.

--

as for sammy's record label here is another topic that aggravates me! he was with mca records following his departure from vh, but according to the vhnd, he was just dropped!!!! what is that about??!! evidently it was poor sales. now i could see if sam was still with warner( time warner is as big as entertainment/ media companies get) they would not settle for how well red voodoo did ( not quite as good as vh3 ) but for crying out loud! sam produced the album himself( no producer investments for the rcord co. ) and there was only one video! the mas tequila video is fun but there was nothing to it, just some video footage of a cabo show! it could be filmed for fifty bucks! it was not like they gave him a fraction of the backig and promotion we are used to seeing around sam. very short-sighted on thier part!

at the last voodoo show i went to we heard the soundcheck, and sammy was working on a new rocker..very heavy guitar work on the track we heard. he didn't do the lyrics but the guitar work was as heavy as -but not just like- humans being. i am very confident the new album will rock.
    --
    i will be out of town for the weekend, so you guys have fun! keep this thread HOT!!!!TURN THE PLACE RED!!!!...and no fights with the eat us and smile gang!

----

up front fanatics..!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!