Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"Dirty Movies"
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You know, I am giving Van Halen III a solid straight-through listen on my headphones today at work. I gotta say, I've been one in the past to point out so many of the flaws on this record: 1. horrible tinny vocals buried in the mix too far at times 2. lousy lyrics ie: "the candyman can" etc.... 3. lack of any great vocal hooks 4. terrible production quality of the overall product 5. that horrible attempt at a song found on track 12.....etc. etc.

But ya know what? MUSICALLY this album COOKS! If you listen to it and try to ignore the vocals the stuff underneath is really tasty and exciting. Arguably Ed was at a peak in creativity regarding his guitar work on this album. I mean he is all over the place and sounding really fresh and vigorous! Almost sounds like he got a shot of something in his arm before he started playing, on soem of these tracks....And I WILL give VH credit for expanding considerably and taking enormous risks on this record. The certainly did not play it SAFE on VH III. (And regardless of what anyone else thinks: I still say the song "From Afar" is by far the STAND OUT track on this album. LOVE that tune....

I'd love to get a different mix of this album that was just the instruments and listen to that straight through, cause MUSICALLY Van Halen III SMOKES!!!!!!

Agree/Disagree? Thoughts from anyone ? ?

~BC
    "Sorry about the mess..."<br /><br />~Han Solo Episode IV

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    Last Online

08.27.17 @ 09:39 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 105 Posts

I agree...Musically every VH album is exceptionally better than any group out there as far as hard rock. I think it is personal preference as far as good/bad lyrics. I really would like Eddie to do an instrumental album with different musicians. I know he enjoys jamming with other people and I would think he would be happy with the outcome. But i wouldn't care to hear VH 3 or any other VH album minus the vocals...it would sound "empty" during most of the verses.
    Maybe Eddie, Satch and Vai can get a G3 part 4 going! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img]
    Just go for it!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, ADKOT
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 07:29 PM
    Liked 444 Times in 246 Posts

I couldn't agree with you more. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

You hit it dead on. The lyrics are pretty weak but the music is strong.

I didn't like 'From Afar' the first few listens but slowly but surely it became my favorite tune off of 3.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:26 PM
    Liked 37 Times in 19 Posts

I agree, although I also enjoy many of Gary's lyrics and vocal performances. I don't really care for "From Afar" but it is definately a risky left turn for VH. Its unfortunate that so many fans slam this album, I really enjoy it. My favorite tune is "A Year to the Day", best solo Edward has written in years, very interesting and refreshing lyrics (way beyond anything Dave or Sammy could write). I would really like to hear the follow up to VH III. Perhaps we may hear some of it someday.....Peace [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

All of them pretty much
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I can agree, but see, i dont have the album yet. but i'm bound to find it somewhere on a clearance rack [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    This is home, this is Mean Street!<br /><br /><b><br />Then one year you find ten years have gotten behind, no one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun. - Pink Floyd, Time</b><br /><br />"Everyone knows that Van Halen with Roth is the only real Van Halen."- Mike Tramp<br /><br /><a href="http://www.vhforums.com/vhlforum/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=12;t=001366&p=66#00 1635" target="_blank"> OBEY THE DFK!!</a>

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

onders:

I've always found the major hitch in VH3 to be inconsistancy.

The album comes out of the gate with Without You, From Afar, Dirty Water Dog, Once, and Fire in the Hole.

Then it sputters, snorts, and screeches to a halt with Josephina, Primary, Ballot or the Bullet, and How Many Say I.

So basically you have five decent songs, a couple of average ones, and four throwaways. So-so does not a successful album make.

Then toss on top of it a new singer after the '96 fiasco, a different musical direction, and a quantum change in lyric style. It all adds up as the perfect recipie for failure.

3 has some gems (for the liberal VH fan), but it has consistency problems almost as bad as WACF.
    "Just once I'd like to do the right thing and not get punished for it."

Super Duper Frontman YankeeRose's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:55 PM
    Liked 197 Times in 123 Posts

I like most of the music on VH III and I like the lyrics. But the problem with it is the production is brutal! You can barely hear the background vocals on some songs, and the bass and drums also sound poor in some songs. I also don't like Gary's singing on a lot of the songs, especially on Once and From Afar, which goes back to the bad production.

Mike Post sucks! [img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img]
    Right Now you're reading my post!

I can't stand rap....people who can't sing do rap....you can sing rebellion as well as talk it....Hitler would have been in a rap band...

-- John Entwistle

2006 VHL Fantasy Hockey Champ!

Favorite VH Album

VHII, FW, 1984, 5150, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

You want me to pick just one?
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 09:02 PM
    Liked 27 Times in 6 Posts

Originally posted by Stuff No More:
    3 has some gems (for the liberal VH fan)
    Definitely not true. FORD hates it.
    "One of the reasons I left Sabbath was because Van Halen was blowing us off the stage every night. It was embarrassing." -Ozzy Osbourne

"When I first heard "Runnin' With The Devil" on the radio, I was stunned and found myself dizzy, walking through my high school hallways thinking, "What was THAT?!"
    Eddie Van Halen was so innovative and kicked so much ass, and David Lee Roth was for a time indisputably the Greatest Man in America.
    If aliens came down and challenged us to a Battle of the Bands to decide the fate of Planet Earth, I would feel very confident putting early Van Halen forward as our champion." -Tom Morello

"A lot of bands mature, which means they get square; they start delivering messages. Hey, you got a message, use Western Union." -DLR

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 08:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by Wolfie3:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Stuff No More:
    Definitely not true. FORD hates it. </font>[/QUOTE]Ok, now I'll admit I laughed my ass off at that.

Seriously though, regarding the music on VDIII...... Yes there is some good playing by Eddie on parts of the album. But nobody was there to help him turn it into coherently structured songs. Likewise, Eddie's playing on the VDIII tour was excellent for the most part, but that couldn't redeem the fact that it was a 2 hour Garyoake show.

I still say they should take the vocals from Dave's last 2 tours, mix them with the instrumentals from the VDIII tour and turn it into a "Van Halen live album". Unfortunately, at this point it might be the closest we get to hearing the real thing again. [img]graemlins/cry.gif[/img]
    Eat Us And Smile

Welcome back, Van HALEN!!!!

...It's the BAND and Dave is really the cat that can front VH. He sang his ASS off and was really cool. No cheese here guys, this is filet Mignon! - Steve Lukather's comment after witnessing a Van HALEN 2007 rehearsal

"What then is this bleating of sheep in my ears?"- 1 Samuel 15:14

Sinner's Swing! 79th and Sunset's Avatar
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 12:35 PM
    Liked 16 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member
    The Cherone release did have some moments of good music.

The "classic" VH sound was long gone by then, and with Cherony singing and making lyrics, just make this VH fan want to puke.

Ed's playing on the Cherone tour was pretty good. It was great to hear him and the boys (Mike & Alex) play some of the older tunes.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think VHIII was very, very good musically. Eddie was definately in the zone as far as his playing goes. I also agree with FORD about the Garyokie thing. That had to be hard for Gary as well as the VH boys. I know Ed said he and Gary were musical soul mates but it still had to be hard doing those songs. I would imagine even the VH boys sometimes felt like they were in a cover or a tribute band. The unfortunate thing about VHIII is that it alienated a lot of fans because we were really expecting something different than what we got. We were expecting balls to the walls Van Halen and got a left turn instead.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    Last Online

Originally posted by Mean_Street:
    I can agree, but see, i dont have the album yet. but i'm bound to find it somewhere on a clearance rack [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    Well....that's cheap of you!
    Just go for it!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    Last Online

Originally posted by FORD:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Wolfie3:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Stuff No More:
    Definitely not true. FORD hates it. </font>[/QUOTE]Ok, now I'll admit I laughed my ass off at that.

Seriously though, regarding the music on VDIII...... Yes there is some good playing by Eddie on parts of the album. But nobody was there to help him turn it into coherently structured songs. Likewise, Eddie's playing on the VDIII tour was excellent for the most part, but that couldn't redeem the fact that it was a 2 hour Garyoake show.

I still say they should take the vocals from Dave's last 2 tours, mix them with the instrumentals from the VDIII tour and turn it into a "Van Halen live album". Unfortunately, at this point it might be the closest we get to hearing the real thing again. [img]graemlins/cry.gif[/img]
    </font>[/QUOTE]Garyoake!!!!LMFAO!!!! That's new! Kind of like when Fart Walsh plays the intro to Hot For Teacher and he tries to sound like ...........
    nuff said! [img]graemlins/sssh.gif[/img]
    Just go for it!

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars/Unchained (tie)
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Mean_Street:
    I hear it's headed there just as soon as they can clear out some of the space all those lonely "DLR Band" and "Your Filthy Little Mouth" cds have been taking up for YEARS.

'Got both of 'em at Hastings for a cool 3 bucks apiece... Come on down, there's PLENTY left!

SBS
    What, me, worry?

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    Last Online

Originally posted by SirBrownSound:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Mean_Street:
    I hear it's headed there just as soon as they can clear out some of the space all those lonely "DLR Band" and "Your Filthy Little Mouth" cds have been taking up for YEARS.

'Got both of 'em at Hastings for a cool 3 bucks apiece... Come on down, there's PLENTY left!

SBS
    </font>[/QUOTE]Ohhh my GOD......this has got to be the BEST quote ever!!!!! LMFAO!!!!!!!
    Just go for it!