Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Little Dreamer
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Comparing Van HALEN to Van Hagar is like comparing Led Zeppelin to Coverdale/Page or The Firm. Yeah it's still Jimmy Page, but it sounds like shit, ala Van Hagar.

Roth/Ed Van Halen were a DYNAMIC song writing team. Similar to:

Jagger/Richards
    Plant/Page
    Lennon/McCartney
    Daltrey/Townshend

Now, look at the names above and look what they did individually.......

Mick Jagger: Made a few shitty solo albums and one decent one. Overall: Crap

Keith Richards: Made a few solo albums with his "bar band". Overall: Crap

John Lennon: Made several solo albums with Yoko. A few decent songs, His solo material is not even in the same solar system as his collaborative efforts with the Beatles. Overall solo effort: mediocre

Paul McCartney: See John Lennon insert Linda.

Roger Daltrey: The Who....Fantastic lyrics....Solo: Two Words: "Free Me" Overall: Putrid, Stinky SHIT!

Pete Townshend: A few solo albums, a decent song here and there. Overall: Crap

Now let's do the same thing with Roth/E. Van Halen.

David Lee Roth: Solo career 1 stellar album (Eat'em and smile) and a few mediocre/crap albums and one god awful shitty album (YFLM). Overall: Mediocre/Crap.

E. Van Halen: Solo Career a few albums with Sammy Hagar(a very average solo artist). All the albums were pure shit. A decent song here and there. Overall: Crap

I include Van HAGAR as Eddie's solo career...such as I do Jimmy Page....eg. The Firm.

Let's continue and use Page and Plant. Anyone with half a brain knows that Page and Plant were the talent and main songwriters of the band, Up to and including "Presence". Jones and Bonham contributed, but minimally. Most of us will agree, Zep Haters aside, That the albums up to this point were AMAZING.

Fast forward to the early 80s....Jimmy Page writes songs with Paul Rodgers...they call it "The Firm" Result: Pure Shit! Jimmy could have called it Led Zeppelin (Jimmy owns the name) but he didn't. He respected what it stood for. In 1968 had Jimmy named the band "Page" instead of Led Zep.....I bet you anything in the early 80s he would not have called The Firm, Page.

Do you see were I am coming from?????? While some may not agree with me, maybe others will.

BTW...I am not a "Rothtard" or what ever Roth worshippers are called. I would LOVE to see a Van HALEN reunion as much as I'd like to see a Led Zeppelin reunion. However, a Van HAGAR reunion would be about as exciting as The Firm getting back together.

Sammy Hagar is nothing but Paul Rodgers or David Coverdale...he is artificial, he is filler. David Lee is correct, Edward Van Halen is guilty of wasting time.

How many say I?
    banned 3x

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 08:00 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

That post is either going to get ignored, or you're gonna get creamed for it, so I'll leave you with something positive:

I don't agree with your statements, but I too like to drink PBR. [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/drunk.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 03:59 PM
    Liked 555 Times in 251 Posts

Originally posted by PBR Streetgang:

How many say I?
    I [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    Eat Us and Smile!

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Roth/Ed Van Halen were a DYNAMIC song writing team.

David Lee is correct, Edward Van Halen is guilty of wasting time.

I agree with the first part, but who broke up that songwriting unit? Given that, seems like Dave is guilty of wasting time too, wouldn't you say? A mediocre (your words) solo career has just been time wasted since a bad decision in 1985.

BTW, I think Dave made a lot of great solo music personally. Also, Daltrey didn't write hardly anything in the Who.

Also, this is a topic for the Opinions forum, so I'm going to send it over there. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Glenn:
    Also, Daltrey didn't write hardly anything in the Who. [QB]
    Aside from Tommy (Roger wrote about 1/3 of lyrics) and Quadrophenia, Pete and Roger wrote the lyrics together. Enwhistle wrote a few songs, Boris The Spider...etc.
    banned 3x

Favorite VH Song

Ain\'t talkin bout love
    Last Online

07.19.17 @ 06:26 PM
    Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts

Dude, the Firm was a significant album in my book. No it wasn't Led Zep or Bad CO. but at the time it was fresh. At least Page wasn't sitting around licking his wounds. A couple of years ago I saw Plant and Page together in Charlotte NC and even though it wasn't Led Zep the original, it was the next best thing. Same thing this year with Roth and Hagar. At this point I have excepted the idea that a reunion will probably not take place. But after seeing David Lee Roth this year I know he could most definetly front the band again. Hell he sang more of the songs lyrics this year than he did in 1984. And I have the feeling that we havn't seen the last of him.
    Know Roth
    Know Van Halen

No Roth
    No Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 10:47 PM
    Liked 11,593 Times in 4,941 Posts

You would want to see a Led Zeppelin reunion? Thank that god that's impossible anyway! Robert Plant is very over, his voice is complete and utter shit and Jimmy Page hasn't been able to play since the late 70's. Nobody wants to see them get up there and make a mockery of the Zep name. The Page/Plant thing was borderline crap too.

Fact remains, Dave's voice is a complete mess when it comes down to it too. If he can't sing and put out a good record, who cares about the live show. I want a album of new material, I don't want just some nostalgia tour. If you heard Dave on Howard Stern today, you wouldn't be running out to hear any new album he put out with how his voice sounds now.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Song

Ain\'t talkin bout love
    Last Online

07.19.17 @ 06:26 PM
    Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts

Yo Bret, I guess me and 17,000 other people who were there would have to disagree with you skippy. The fucking place was Electric. And it would be the exact same deal if Van Halen toured again with Roth. He never was Frank Sinatra. Van Halen was a state of mind man. New material or not.
    Know Roth
    Know Van Halen

No Roth
    No Van Halen

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Right Now
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Great songwritting team? HA! Great music, but lyricly C'MON! Dude I like Roth, he is the ultimate frontman, except for lyrics. He gets people pumped, has fun, and the music reflected this with a fun sound. Writting wise, a monkey with a wrench up its ass could do better. O.K. it's not THAT bad, but to compare the Roth era lyrics to Led Zep. NO WAY! Led Zep had great Lyrics. Deep, meaningfull, and you picked up on new shit everytime you listened to a song. The Who, too had great lyrics. Thats what sets them apart. Its why Rush is such a great band. The music rocks, and not the radio shit either, unless you live in Canada. Its songs like Nobodys Hero, and Driven, and Subdivisions that are bad ass. But its there lyrics that make them so great. I wish VH had those type of lyrics on there albums but they don't. Especialy with Roth. Hell half the time he throws shit together just to try and make it rhyme. Sam wasn't better really. 5150 is a great song...if you really listen, as are a few others, but overall he's no Neil Pert either. He is slightly better than Dave in my opinon however. I really don't give a shit about the whole Sam vs. Dave thing anyway. Apples and Oranges, and in the who gives a flying crap anyway? I just don't agree with comparing Roth era VH to some of the great lyrical bands of all time. The Beatles, I wish the VH lyrics of old were in the same universe. My opinon thats all. -My 10 cents. (see below)

[ September 06, 2002, 04:32 PM: Message edited by: Agius9 ]
    "We don't need no stinkin' click!" -AL<br /><br />Here’s my 10 cents. My 2 cents is free. A nuisance, who sent, you send for me? -Eminem/The Eminem Show<br /><br />No. Now take off my Van Halen t-shirt before you jinx the band and they breakup. -Adam Sandler/The Wedding Singer<br /><br />He's got huge, sharp, pointy....look at the bones! -John Cleese/Monty Python<br /><br />You eat pieces of shit for breakfast?!?-Adam Sandler/Happy Gilmore<br /><br />Tell 'em I want some snatch by the pool!-?/Slap Shot<br /><br />For such a small town, it sure has alot of assholes! -Classic bumper sticker!

Unchained
    Last Online

03.04.06 @ 06:04 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dude I think the point your trying to make is that it's about chemistry between guitarist and singer. I especially like your reference to Page/Plant because Zeppelin has, and always will be my favorite band. However being a big fan of Page/Plant I could not wait to get there 'Walking into Clarksdale CD in my player when it came out in 1998. After I listened to it I could not wait to get it out of CD player. I was very disappointed with it. Another words the magic and song writing success they had in the 60's and 70's was gone. It was in and of it's time and they could not recreate it. That's exactly what the situation is with Roth and Eddie. There time came and went and it may be the same for Eddie and Sam. Sammy is a closer fit vocally in the way Eddie has written music for the past 15 years. Can't predict the future. I doubt Roth will be back.

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Aside from Tommy (Roger wrote about 1/3 of lyrics) and Quadrophenia, Pete and Roger wrote the lyrics together.
    Where did you hear that Roger had that much input into lyrics?

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    Last Online

08.27.17 @ 09:39 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 105 Posts

I thought I was in the Main...not the opinions forum. If everything is "shit" after the original lineup soooo many times, then why do you even bother buying or listening?
    Just go for it!

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Can\'t pick just one...
    Favorite VH Song

Every VH song is a tutorial on rhythm guitar!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This whole debate is summed up with the following line:

Roth/Ed Van Halen were a DYNAMIC song writing team.

The only problem with that sentence is that the emphasis is on "dynamic" instead of "were."

In 1985, while trying to write music for another album, Dave wasn't satisfied with what Eddie wrote, so he quit. Dave no longer felt the "magic" between he and Eddie.

Sammy and Eddie both talked a lot about the wonderful time they had working together. That "magic" seemed to last until the Balance sessions. You may not like VH with Sammy, nor sense the "magic" between Ed and Sammy (I think Cabo Wabo is an excellent example of the great songwriting relationship they had), but the magic was there. However, as with Dave, the songwriting relationship didn't last.

Life......it is dynamic as well......

Last Online

08.11.17 @ 05:38 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

E. Van Halen: Solo Career a few albums with Sammy Hagar(a very average solo artist). All the albums were pure shit. A decent song here and there. Overall: Crap

I include Van HAGAR as Eddie's solo career...such as I do Jimmy Page....eg. The Firm.

BTW...I am not a "Rothtard" or what ever Roth worshippers are called. I would LOVE to see a Van HALEN reunion as much as I'd like to see a Led Zeppelin reunion. However, a Van HAGAR reunion would be about as exciting as The Firm getting back together.

Sammy Hagar is nothing but Paul Rodgers or David Coverdale...he is artificial, he is filler. David Lee is correct, Edward Van Halen is guilty of wasting time.
    Sorry, but you do qualify as a Rothtard.

[ September 06, 2002, 09:48 PM: Message edited by: Lem Motlow ]

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

All
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ok,
    I'm not gonna get into the usual Dave V.S. Sammy thing...dont need to. Both are great and both have their faults, too. Both have their place in rock music....and those places shined the brightest when they were in Van Halen. Dave and Eddie had a chemistry, no doubt. Sammy and Eddie had a chemistry as well, different but no less vital. I think that Gary was developing a chemistry with the band during the III tour that probably translated over to the following album that never got released. My point is, for someone to call one era "crap" or the other era "crap" obviously doesnt have the use of both ears, or is musically retarded. You dont have to like one or the other....but fact is the music was, and always will be stellar.
    Another point....singers can and have been replaced in VH....you could NEVER replace Eddie Van Halen. HE is the soul of this band. I'd argue that Mike and Al are almost as irreplaceable. The 3 musicians that rock the music that's rocked us all for years are on a level that most musicians in rock never reach. They're not "like Zep" or "like the Who"......they're VAN HALEN. They're like no other rock band on earth. So come on with the bickering....that seems to be the thing that alot of you (not all) are best at. Let's hear the "Sammy blows" "Dave's voice is shot" "Dude, you liked Gary?" "Eddie's wasted time" YADDA-YADDA-YADDA.....(yawn). Fact is, whatever VH does.....and they ARE gonna do something.....i'm there. And you know what? I'm sure 90% of you guys that say "I'm not there if it's not Dave" or the "No Sammy, no go" people will be first in line (behind me) for tickets on their next tour. Y'al would never admit it...but it's ok, the secret's safe with me (shhhhh). Later, love ya all!
    "SIMPLY SAID....GOD IS ED!!!!"