Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Runnin With the Devil
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Personally, I think of Van Halen as a product of the 70's, but, to the average fan they are considered an 80's band, as thats when they hit there popularity peak. As most of us know, there is this vicious cycle in pop culture where the previous 20 years are glorified as some nostaligic trip down memory lane, where for a brief time the most abstract parts of the decade are intantly hip, as long as the market brings it to attention first . Such was the case last decade when Lenny Kravitz started showcasing the worst taste in 70's attire, bringing scorn from all for awhile, only later to be certified ahead of his time, while going backwards, when the other hipsters eventually caught up with him. I dont know how far back this has gone on, perhaps in the 70's when Happy Days, a show glorifying the long-fabled 50's, came on TV, is the first instance I can think of.
    Anyway, the 80's are due, and damn quick I'm afraid, for there return to the spotlight. Sure, you can say its started already, and it has to a small degree, but the floodgates havent burst yet, but when they do, you will see DLR everywhere, as the frontman of VH or not. The reason for this is clear.
    DLR is a man not of his own era. He is an entertainer, a vaudevillian, a classic self promoter that would have flourished in any media he had chosen in any period in time. The most talented ? No. But he doesnt have to be, he just has to entertain, and that he does, better than most. I was reading some of the other posts where a few have bashed Dave for the midget and models at the Dave/Sammy press conference last week. I cannot quote but the remarks where along the lines of how it makes him look pathetic, how dated it is, unhip, etc. Keep in mind what I mentioned about Lenny Kravitz. Young entertainers will be picking the corpse of 80's culture, sooner than you think, and Dave will be one of there main inspirations. You've seen that picture of Steven Tylers milk stained mouth everywhere, right? Legendary singer, but with Dave's tie-in to the 80's, watch out.
    We can all only hope for a DLR/VH reunion, but to reiterate what Dave said at the press conference, its almost inevitable. He doesnt know for sure if it will happen or not, who really does, but, he's right. Hair Spray, mullets, ripped jeans, question-able gender singers, VH, its coming, all these guys need are some damn good accountants and lawyers at this point, there is nothing they can but prepare, its inevitable.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Fools
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Tonightsaboutme:
    Anyway, the 80's are due, and damn quick I'm afraid, for [their] return to the spotlight. Sure, you can say it[']s started already, and it has to a small degree, but the floodgates havent burst yet, but when they do, you will see DLR everywhere, as the frontman of VH or not. The reason for this is clear.

Young entertainers will be picking the corpse of 80's culture, sooner than you think, and Dave will be one of [their] main inspirations. You've seen that picture of Steven Tyler[']s milk stained mouth everywhere, right? Legendary singer, but with Dave's tie-in to the 80's, watch out.

We can all only hope for a DLR/VH reunion, but to reiterate what Dave said at the press conference, it[']s almost inevitable. He doesn[']t know for sure if it will happen or not, who really does, but, he's right. Hair Spray, mullets, ripped jeans, questionable gender singers, VH, its coming, all these guys need are some damn good accountants and lawyers at this point, there is nothing they can [do] but prepare, it[']s inevitable.
    Let's hope you're right for: '80s style Rock 'N Roll comeback, DLR/VH reunion, VH comeback. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Let's hope not for: mullets and questionable gender singers.

I'm kind of indifferent on the hair spray. And I think the '80s comeback has started a bit with the ripped jeans (and also That Eighties Show).

And if this happens in full force, Dave will definately be the main inspiration by at least a plurality (with Ed ranking right up there).

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Someday an 80's music style will return in some way? Anytime soon in my opinion? Nope. I hated 99% of 80's music myself, but that really has no bearing on the idea of 80's music making a comeback, which I don't see anytime soon. What's next after this music I like to call "BLEH rock" (considering that's the sound I make when I listen to the tonal quality of the music, and the sound I also make when I hear the "girl is gone from my life and I miss her and I'm pissed off" song for the billionth time ) I believe either a prog. rock style of music will come back, or just the opposite, which is the crappy, shallow KISS influenced "PARTY HARD" style of the 70's.

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 04:13 PM
    Liked 527 Times in 242 Posts

Ahhhh, the 80's

'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 02:09 AM
    Liked 1,481 Times in 903 Posts

In my 30 years on this planet, one thing I've noticed for certain: music and fashion always comeback in one form or another. When I was in college in the early 90's, the 1970's music and fashion, started to come back. Yes, it lived for a little bit but it did come back. Somehow, I think the 80's will come back in some shape.

I'll tell you one thing, I will NOT grow a mullet!!! No parachute pants for me either. I did these things once and that was enough.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

VHII
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think the 80s have already peaked in popularity; It was a done deal when the Gap started selling cutesy muscle tees with decals that say crap like "ROCKER" or "Foxxxy"--using spiky Motorhead-style lettering. And the mullet was the ironic cool hairdo in downtown Manhattan 3 years ago. But I'm talking fashion here--the revival of 80s music is another issue. There will always be fans (namely, us)who keep the faith and believe in the holy trinity of guitar-bass-drums and shell out crazy $$$ for arena ( arena--now there's an 80s word)tix...but I don't exactly know what people mean when they say the 80s are "back". Will DLR and Sam gain new fans on this new tour? I'm not sure. I think we're gonna be the audience--by "we" I mean our generation. I was sweet 15 in '83, the year of the great US Festival, the year that big hair and big guitars finally killed New Wave. By 1984 all of the great hard rock albums were exploding--Pyromania, Ride the Lightning, Purple Rain, Shout at the Devil, Tooth & Nail, Out of the Cellar, Bark at the Moon...and of course, 1984. If you liked one of these records, you liked all of them. We didn't have computers so we were always partying or going to shows. We hung out and talked in person...remember?? If that kind of attitude returns, then the spirit of the 80s will really be back.
    We need to take kids who were born in the 80s to DLR & Sam's show. That's how we keep hard rock alive. The young-uns need to know there's a DLR out there. Everything I needed to know about life I learned from Dave. And I think I turned out pretty good...
    Pretty soon we're gonna be plundering the 90s and doing the friggin flannel thing again. Uh oh.
    Anyway. Seems like I've got all kinds of opinions today...
    (pretty smile)