Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

TYWH, Humans Being
    Last Online

09.03.12 @ 04:14 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What ever happened to the Van Halen fans that liked Sam and Dave? Perhaps evenly? I understand that you can be pro-Sammy or pro-DLR, but why pick a guy and just bash the other? Another words why can't we all just get along?
    Light em' up!!!

"You can drink the water, but don't ya eat the ice;
    Take your vitamin "T" with salt 'n lemon slice!"

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Song

hear about it later
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

i agree...

i definitely prefer dave era VH- but i never hated sammy... i didn't like every VH song sammy was involved with- but some of his songs are my favorites too... and honestly- i know the words to every sammy era tune as well as the old ones...

i always was a fan of both eras- but prefered the earlier stuff... and always was inspired by Dave (oh no- do i feel a tidal wave of insults coming because i am inspired by david lee roth? [img]tongue.gif[/img] )

i guess i may come off as a sammy basher sometimes because i always want to balance out the anti-dave sentiment here...

i know i know- go to dlrarmy if i don't like it- but fuck that- i am a fan of VH w/ dlr- not just dlr... so i am staying here...

wish we could all get along too... good luck though- better chance of world peace i think...

take it easy...
    zach sanders<br /><br />"My boy, we are pilgrims in an unholy land"

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

04.17.12 @ 03:02 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by 55starfire:
    i agree...

i definitely prefer dave era VH- but i never hated sammy... i didn't like every VH song sammy was involved with- but some of his songs are my favorites too... and honestly- i know the words to every sammy era tune as well as the old ones...

What he said... [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

I was and still am a huge fan of the first 6 records, that happened to feature one, David Lee Roth on vocals. When Sammy came aboard I continued to like Van Halen music. I don't hate Sammy or Gary for that matter its just that when it comes down to the bread & butter, I'm more in tuned with Dave era songs. On the whole issue of Dave vs. Sammy, I don't so much bash Sammy as I defend Dave from people who tend to underestimate Dave's contribution to the original lineup. However, if you were to look at all my posts from the 'Links you'd see that I equally criticize all the members of the band, probably with the exception of Mike.

Massachusetts by way of the Great State of New Jersey
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Changes with the day
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 07:38 PM
    Liked 546 Times in 327 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Count me in on this one. I prefer Sammy, but I'd take either one right now. VH with Dave was always my second fav. band, behind VH with Sam.

I really hate it when it gets stupidly vicious. Hey, they both screw up and it can be funny to rag on them when they do, but take a look at the thread titles going now - Sammy's lack of class, Dave fans face reality, etc. etc. etc. until you puke. Dumb, dumb dumb. And, gee, am I referring to the threads, or those who partake in them? [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Women Down
    Favorite VH Song

Chicken Feet for Breakfast
    Last Online

07.11.09 @ 03:27 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Simple. The Dave era of VH was/is untouchable by the competition (if there ever
    really was/is any). By comparison, the Sam
    years were nowhere near as groundbreaking
    and were marked only by a decent into mediocrity.
    This has everything to do with CHEMISTRY. For music to be exciting, there HAS to be some kind of tension, a yin and yang, if you will (heck, even if you won't). See Jagger/Richards, Lennon/McCartney, Abbott/Costello (et al)for reference.
    Fact is, Ed & Sam got along and/or were too much alike in their disposition. Hence, no sparks.
    I've always preferred Sam on his own. His
    music is better and VH's certainly is, as well.
    And now that these two 'contenders' are ostensibly vying for the VH crown and/or
    coveted front-man vacancy, there is naturally
    going to be groundswells of support/antagonism from both ends of the
    equation.

[ August 16, 2002, 02:07 PM: Message edited by: mistere ]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/"5150"
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street/"5150"
    Last Online

02.09.12 @ 04:11 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I agree with you all 100%. I can honestly say I love Dave & Sam era VH equally. I think where things get ugly on this site is when people try to compare the two eras. The fact of the matter is you can't compare the two eras because they are two totally different styles at different points in time, with they only constant being Eddies amazing songwriting and guitar playing. During the Dave era they were 20 something year olds playing raw hard rock and by the time Sammy stepped in they had obviously matured and played a more polished style. Either way I like it! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    New England Patriots.
    Super Bowl XXXVI Champions
    Super Bowl XXXVIII Champions
    Super Bowl XXXIX Champions

"My favorite ring is the next one..." - Tom Brady

Last Online

09.26.07 @ 02:38 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by Carbo21:
    I agree with you all 100%. I can honestly say I love Dave & Sam era VH equally. I think where things get ugly on this site is when people try to compare the two eras. The fact of the matter is you can't compare the two eras because they are two totally different styles at different points in time, with they only constant being Eddies amazing songwriting and guitar playing. During the Dave era they were 20 something year olds playing raw hard rock and by the time Sammy stepped in they had obviously matured and played a more polished style. Either way I like it! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    Good post, I agree. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    "It's so damn hot... milk was a bad choice." --Ron Burgundy, Anchorman

Favorite VH Album

1984, Balance, Van Halen, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mike on SGMAD, Baluchetherium
    Last Online

02.12.07 @ 03:44 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Yeah man both era's of Van Halen rock. Whatever album I'm listining to at the time is my favorite.

Dave's the best, . . . no Sam's the best, ah I'm confused.
    How to make a “Mad Anthony”

2 oz Cabo WaboŽ Tequila
    1 oz Spicy V8
    Juice from a fresh Lime
    A generous dollop of Mad Anthony’s Hot Sauce
    Combine in a shaker full of ice and shake it up
    Pour into shot glass garnished with
    a dab of salt
    a small slice of lime
    a slice of Serrano or Jalapeno chili pepper

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later, Atomic Pu
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I wouldn't say I liked them equally, but I certainly don't get all this rah-rah "Dave/Sammy is my bitch" crap.

I prefer the Dave era, especially since I grew up to it, but I enjoyed the Sammy years up until Balance. At that point it just staled on me.

Fuck it, it's still all Van Halen to me.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Wolfman:
    I prefer the Dave era, especially since I grew up to it...

I think a lot of it is almost a generational thing. If you were born in '64 like me, which put me in my mid to late teens when the band was becoming big, chances are you'll identify with the Dave era. If you were born in the late 70's early 80's you tend to gravitate towards Sammy. It's all subjective anyhow. Personally, I don't mind a little healthy debate between Dave & Sammy fans. I just think people get way too carried away name calling & bickering about people who don't even know we exist. I bet we don't spend this much attention to our family & friends.

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

POUND CAKE
    Last Online

05.08.08 @ 02:22 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I grew up with the DLR VH and I still prefer Sammy.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

11.16.05 @ 07:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Damn. I was born in '62 and I liked VH before I got into Hagar's music. I liked both Dave and Sammy. Both brought a different sound to the show. Both have their own musical styles. I can't say I prefer Sammy's VH time to Dave's. To me, it was more like a continual evolution of the music. There are those that yearn for VH to be what it was when Dave was in the band. But even if Dave were to rejoin, the band would never be the same band that blew our ears out in the '70's. By the time that 1984 came out, the band had already begun to evolve into a band that was moving into the mainstream. When Sammy took up the mantle, the move was well on its way.

It's been said that the only band to truly survive a change in frontmen, was AC/DC. Yeah, they never changed their style at all. They also haven't changed their music one bit since 1979. That's not a dig on the band. I like 'em, but they have also not grown musically for over 20 years.

Even if Dave rejoined VH, or Sammy rejoined VH, the initial magic is gone. They can only hope to either develop, and evolve, OR just make money playing the same songs for an ever dwindling audience.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

So this is love?
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I grew up during the Sammy Era and i prefer Dave but I do like the sammy years and know all of the songs. I dont understand why people are insulted over their opinions, that is what this site is for. You can state your opinion without insulting someone.
    Lets Hope VH gets some Sensible Shoes that lead them back to Dave.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by jschneider:

It's been said that the only band to truly survive a change in frontmen, was AC/DC. Yeah, they never changed their style at all. They also haven't changed their music one bit since 1979. That's not a dig on the band. I like 'em, but they have also not grown musically for over 20 years.

This begs the question, if Van Halen like AC/DC did not evolve musically, and continued on the same musical path would we fans be content with this or would we be complaining of the same ole thing?

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Space
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 04:52 PM
    Liked 570 Times in 311 Posts

Donor

I am a Van Halen fan. I was a teenager during the DLR days, and liked the Van Hagar music just fine, too. The two eras are different, but it's still the same 3 guys playing the music regardless of who's singing.

I just don't see why people feel that you have to be a fan of either singer, and not both. And by all means, don't dare say anything critical about one of them, even if it's true, or you'll get a steady procession of either singer's flock (particularly DLR's, it seems to me) that will call you every name in the book while they disagree.
    I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em. -
    Jimmy V