Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:29 PM
    Liked 1,348 Times in 925 Posts

I'm not a musician, and I don't read music magazines, but I'm wondering how the music world rates Alex Van Halen among the all-time drummers. Never seem to see his name mentioned - always seems like Neil Peart, Keith Moon & John Bonham top the list, and then Tommy Lee gets a lot of mention, but I think more for his videotaped escapades than his drumming. Does Alex get overshadowed by being brother to Edward, who obviously has no problem getting mention as one of the best? Or is he just not a great drummer (except maybe to us)?

Super Duper Frontman YankeeRose's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:55 PM
    Liked 197 Times in 123 Posts

I think Alex is the best drummer on the planet! [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img] I don't like any drummer half as much as him.
    Right Now you're reading my post!

I can't stand rap....people who can't sing do rap....you can sing rebellion as well as talk it....Hitler would have been in a rap band...

-- John Entwistle

2006 VHL Fantasy Hockey Champ!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Light Up The Sky
    Last Online

04.20.05 @ 02:39 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

No,no...Alex is exceptionally good, but you may have hit on something with the overshadow thing. And you can blame that on the fucking media.

But I must say that Alex is definitly very good in the category of rock. Overall, we don't hear about him much, but that can also be because rock or metal, for lack of a better word, is underground.

Instead we're hear about drummers like Carter Beauford (Dave Matthews), who right now are enjoying more mass appeal than rock drummers.

But let there be no mistake, Alex is a fucking badass with a rock solid meter. In fact I've always thought that to be his best attribute.
    RLRR LRLL

Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire
    Last Online

08.27.15 @ 02:07 AM
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

I think it's a two fold answer.

1. I've seen Al named a lot more often than I did 10-12 years ago when it comes to "top drummers" and such. I think as time goes by, more and more people do realize that it's BOTH Van Halen brothers that are talented, however...

2. It's Ed that gets most of the press. I believe the reason VH is where they are today and where they WERE are due in mostly large part, to brother Ed and his skills on the 6-string. I think if VH collectively were more open about Al's condition, for example, and if he were actually VISIBLE these days, we'd hear more about him.
    "Once the final BAN has been completed I will ban myself." -OLO, March 21, 2002
    "The price of the steak sandwich over there is ridiculous!!" -Glenn, March 3, 2003
    "Hang on, I'll go ask everybody and be right back." -seenbad, March 11, 2003

Last Online

12.14.17 @ 07:08 PM
    Liked 1,026 Times in 501 Posts

Alex is a badass! He has his own sound - not too many drummers can say that. Nobody pops a snare drum like him!

I would place Alex Van Halen in the following company:

John Bonham
    Neil Peart
    Stewart Copeland
    Keith Moon
    Tommy Aldridge

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:29 PM
    Liked 1,348 Times in 925 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by paradiddle:
    ...But I must say that Alex is definitly very good in the category of rock. Overall, we don't hear about him much, but that can also be because rock or metal, for lack of a better word, is underground...
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually I meant to put something in my original post where, even when Van Halen was big news, I didn't get the impression that Alex was considered a big deal.

Big Al is one of my faves - always loved his drumming. But then Ace Frehley used to be one of my favourite guitarists (and he's still my favourite member of KISS), so I just don't trust my judgement anymore!

Last Online

12.03.17 @ 09:00 PM
    Liked 537 Times in 291 Posts

Premium Member
    I would put Alex on the top of my list any day of the week. He's alot like Stewart Copeland. In that once you hear a song just faintly on the radio with Alex on it, you know for a FACT that's it's Alex. And yes I do believe that he is ovbviously over shadowed by his brother. I don't know why, but he is. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Out.
    Quin-a-se-i-co

You're a dick for putting ian on "ignore" DIF

"You stupid fuck!" Seen

"Well if you saw it, stats and scientific studies be damned!" Lovemachine 97 v. 2.

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 10:24 AM
    Liked 1,481 Times in 903 Posts

Being a drummer myself, Alex is one if not the best rock drummer in the world. I can't say the best drummer because there are some jazz drummers out there that are really great themselves. Too tough to compare. If I was a manager looking to start a band, Alex would be first on my list. I guess I'm bias but hey, he's a legend.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 03:59 PM
    Liked 555 Times in 251 Posts

for the most part, Alex has only 2 styles ---the "Poundcake stomp" and "Hotforteacher shuffle"

another great drummer is John Fishman who played with Phish and just about any jazz drummer on the planet can smoke Alex

not slammin' Alex or anything but if you were to make an unbiased(sp?) list(something hard for VH fans to do) Alex would be waaaay down the list
    Eat Us and Smile!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Light Up The Sky
    Last Online

04.20.05 @ 02:39 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

True Hain, but I don't think it's fair to compare a jazz drummer to a rock drummer. The genre's are just to different.
    Now there are some drummers who can span that gap. The drummer for Lenny Kravitz, for instance, is equally adept at both styles, and I'm sure there are many more examples.
    But then we've only heard Alex on VH records, I wonder what he sounds like in a solo rehersal. I hear he's quite an odd meter affecionado.

But at least we all agree, Al throws down with the best of 'em.
    RLRR LRLL

Last Online

12.14.17 @ 07:08 PM
    Liked 1,026 Times in 501 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hain23x:
    for the most part, Alex has only 2 styles ---the "Poundcake stomp" and "Hotforteacher shuffle"

another great drummer is John Fishman who played with Phish and just about any jazz drummer on the planet can smoke Alex

not slammin' Alex or anything but if you were to make an unbiased(sp?) list(something hard for VH fans to do) Alex would be waaaay down the list
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, it is true that Alex is not a jazz drummer, but within rock and roll, he stands TALL

In the classical and jazz worlds, there are plenty of players who can smoke Eddie as well, but do they really have their own sound?

For me, one of his best songs drum wise is "Little Guitars - "Catch as Catch, dat-dat-dat(da dum)dat-dat-dat, [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]ickslide!" - not the most technical in the world, but bad ass still! He has his own sound...

On Fire
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Alex would be in top ten for sure, but probably around 6 or 7 and definately below Neil Pert, although I am not a Rush fan but I do think Pert is the better of the two.
    To sum up, Alex definately stands on his own with the best of them [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
    Life is something that happens when your planning something else.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Blueprint
    Favorite VH Song

Voodoo Queen
    Last Online

02.17.17 @ 06:11 AM
    Liked 79 Times in 21 Posts

I never was much of a fan of ranking musicians. Can you really make a fair comparison between Stewart Copeland and Al Van Halen when the music styles they play are so different.

I love Al's sound -- as opposed to many drummers out there -- good ones like Gregg Bissonnette, Carmine Appice, etc. -- Al has a truly signature style that you can always identify. His sound is just as important as Ed's guitar, Mike's bass and background vocals and Dave's signature voice.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Alex rules...simply put.
    America's Team...The Green Bay Packers!<br />12 Championship Titles For The Packers And Counting...<br />"Depends What We Do". EVH 2001<br />VH R.I.P. 1978-1996

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

A couple of things to ask here. First,how does one catigorically define one drummer as being better than another? Second, how is it that the best jazz drummers can smoke Alex?
    "What is understood don't need to be discussed. 'Aint that right Edward?'" Sammy Hagar, Right Here Right Now