Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Meanstreet
    Last Online

05.18.12 @ 09:24 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was reading a thread here where people have said that singer #4 would be career suicide for VH. While I agree with that statement it made me reflect on just what the hell Dave is doing right now.

In my opinion Dave is committing career suicide if he continues on this semi-techno trend. I can handle it if Dave stays solo because he can't work things out with the VH bros... but he has to dump this idea right now. Dave doesn't have that many fans left, and judging by their reaction to the new song and video... Dave's gonna lose everyone.

To make matters worse, there are rumors floating around out there that Dave has simply lost his mind. Flipped. Gone off the deep end. While I hope this isn't true, I can't help but think back about what Eddie said when asked if Dave was coming back. "I don't know what goes on in other people's realities. He has my number." At the time I just chalked that statement up to Eddie bashing Dave. That's nothing new. But now I'm getting a little different vibe about who's holding up the reunion.

It's entirely possible that Eddie has put a solid offer on the table for Dave, and he won't sign it for whatever reason. I'm sure he knows that leverage for a reunion is on his side. Lets face it. VH needs him for the first time since he left. It's always been the other way around before. Dave's always been the one begging to get back in and now that it just seems perfect for it to happen maybe he's asking for the moon? Maybe the limited success of his last tour has gone to his head? Maybe he's using cocaine again? Coke has a way of making your ego take over and we all know Dave's ego is big enough without that crap. What's up with the vicodine remark made by TK??

I'm truly worried that not only will we get no reunion, but that Dave is flushing his career down the toilet by not accepting Eddie's offer for a Van Halen reunion.

Dave, if you by some freak chance are reading this thread, here's what you have to do:

1) Get back in Van Halen. Don't kid yourself and think you can survive by taking this new turn in music. This will sink what's left of your career. Call Eddie right the fuck now and hammer something out. You need them just as much as they need you if not more!

2) Make damn sure that you try your ass off to make the reunion work. You don't have to bow down to Eddie or anything, but don't do something that you know will piss him off. If you're thinking of doing something that might piss him off, talk to him about it first.

3) Talk to a real hair stylist. Ditch the white hair. It just makes you look older. Your hair color at the 96 MTV awards is perfect. I have a feeling that's your natural color. Go back to it.

4) Stay off the hard drugs. Hell you might even consider staying away from weed. It certainly is doing your voice no favors, which leads me to 5.

5) Once you're back in Van Halen you have to train your voice again like never before. Stay away from all smoke, as it will fuck up what's left of that voice.

Then make a record with VH. Get back in the spotlight. Go on tour with them. And when you can't work with VH anymore then and only then go back to being a solo artist. You'll have some momentum them.

I know it's crazy to think that Dave will actually read this, but my God... Someone needs to talk to him. Someone needs to tell him what's what before it's too late.

Please Dave, don't pull the plug on your career yet. Do what you have to do to get back in VH right now. Your career depends on it!

[ February 15, 2002 at 01:29 PM: Message edited by: dj88 ]</p>

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

07.09.17 @ 06:30 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts

This is a very interesting post. We have a lot of people here at the Links who think that VH4 would be a complete disaster. We have a lot of people saying it's got to be Dave or Sam or the band Van Halen should officially call it quits. Why? Is it simply because the band won't be the same giants they used to be on the music landscape. Is it because they might never see a platinum album again? If that's the case why hasn't Dave or Sam for that matter pulled the plug on there careers. Do they embarass or tarnsih their reputations by selling a small amount of records and touring to a thousand or two thousand people a night. They do it because they are performers and love music and this doesn't necessarily always reflect the bottom line ie-dollars. If VH4 happens and they're doing it for the love of music and the thrill of getting on stage and performing why is it any different then what Dave or Sam are doing right now? If a Van Halen reunion happens with either Dave or Sam-fucking awesome. If not I'll definately embrace Van Halen 4. FORD I'd definately be interested in hearing your response.
    "It's now officially 5150 time!!!"

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Meanstreet
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't think the majority feel that they should call it quits if they get singer #4. The Dave or the Grave statement basically means get Dave back and they can go sell out arenas. Don't and you'll be clubbin it.

The path is so clear it's hard to fathom why these guys can't work it out. Dave needs VH just as much as VH needs Dave. Getting back together would bring the spotlight back on all of them for as long as they could make it work. Then if they just can't make it work, at least they'd both have a chunk of change and some momentum to carry them.

If they stay apart now they'll only hurt themselves.

The best plan for VH would be to get Dave back. Make an album and tour behind it. If things are too stressfull, then after the tour you take another break and then get Sam back for an album and tour.

For Dave it's pretty clear cut. Get back in Van Halen and try and stay there. That's his best chance to revive his career and fatten his wallet at the same time.

For this stuff to work both Eddie and Dave need to put their egos aside.

Whoever is holding up the reunion should wake up. It's their best shot right now. Take it!

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars/Unchained (tie)
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Mario VH:
    This is a very interesting post. We have a lot of people here at the Links who think that VH4 would be a complete disaster. We have a lot of people saying it's got to be Dave or Sam or the band Van Halen should officially call it quits. Why? Is it simply because the band won't be the same giants they used to be on the music landscape. Is it because they might never see a platinum album again? If that's the case why hasn't Dave or Sam for that matter pulled the plug on there careers. Do they embarass or tarnsih their reputations by selling a small amount of records and touring to a thousand or two thousand people a night. They do it because they are performers and love music and this doesn't necessarily always reflect the bottom line ie-dollars. If VH4 happens and they're doing it for the love of music and the thrill of getting on stage and performing why is it any different then what Dave or Sam are doing right now? If a Van Halen reunion happens with either Dave or Sam-fucking awesome. If not I'll definately embrace Van Halen 4. FORD I'd definately be interested in hearing your response.
    Hey, I agree, as long as they really WERE into it "because they're performers and love music", I'd dig it anyway, I'm the #1 "sheep", remember? All I'm saying is that if they were to proceed as "Van Halen" with a 4th singer, you could pretty much BANK on it being a critical and commercial disappointment, and I'm really not so sure that Ed's quite come to terms with that reality yet. I really think that he IS still expecting his records to sell millions, and will continue to "part ways" with vocalists and become even more... "eccentric" and reclusive when the records don't go platinum. Shit man, I'd fuckin' LOVE to see VH in a place as intimate as say, The House of Blues, I'm just not so sure they're ready to accept the downgrade from arenas to clubs just yet. We'll see (maybe), but I doubt it, particularly when they know that they could be right back on top of the world (albeit probably not for all that long) and bigger than EVER with a Reunion tour, as distasteful as that ego-clashing, conflicting prospect might also be to them.

Hey, I just want to hear these guys making music again, I really couldn't care less with what singer (well... within reason!) or under what name, all I'm saying is that the media and probably at least half of their "fanbase" (add "fairweather" to those to which it would apply) wouldn't give a 4th singer incarnation even a fighting chance of any real acclaim or commercial success at this point, nothing more, nothing less, take it for what its worth and remember, we're not exactly dealing with the most rational people on the planet here.

SBS

[ February 15, 2002 at 03:52 PM: Message edited by: SirBrownSound ]</p>
    What, me, worry?

Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

03.01.10 @ 10:22 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by dj88:
    The path is so clear it's hard to fathom why these guys can't work it out. Dave needs VH just as much as VH needs Dave. Getting back together would bring the spotlight back on all of them for as long as they could make it work. Then if they just can't make it work, at least they'd both have a chunk of change and some momentum to carry them.

The band is probably set for life financially even if they never put out another album. I really don't know what Dave's financial situation is, but I would imagine it's probably true for him too. If these guys can't stand to work together, or if the magic is no longer there, then the money probably isn't going to be enough to convince them to do it. It wasn't enough in '96, and I don't see why it would be now.

The real question is how important "success" is to them, and how they measure it. Maybe they just don't care about being on top of the rock world. Maybe they would rather have fun making music, regardless of how many people buy the records and attend the shows. They've already achieved tremendous success; who says that they need to maintain that forever? The band always used to say in interviews that it's all about the music and not the money. Van Halen interviews are full of statements like "we write music that we like, and if the fans like it too, great!", and "we're musicians at heart and we'll make music until we die," etc. I remember one interview with Alex in which he is very direct... he basically says that when making music is no longer fun, it becomes a JOB, which to him is the time to hang it up. I was always skeptical of these kinds of statements, but maybe they were being honest. I do think that the band would rather be playing to audiences of 5,000 and being HAPPY, instead of playing to audiences of 50,000 and being miserable. If the reunion doesn't happen, I think this could be an explanation for it.

Consider this analogy: If you were a millionaire, and your ex-wife (who you cannot stand) wanted to become your business partner and work with you on a daily basis, would you do it simply because you stood to make millions more? It's hard to say for me to say for sure unless I was in that situation, but I'm guessing the answer would be no.

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I completely agree with SBS. I would also embrace singer #4 if it was kick ass VH music. But Ed is looking for commercial success. If he wasn't he would've said "fuck what you think VH3 is what we wanted, who cares how it sold?". He wants good music too but he wouldn't feel the pressure of not going platinum if the music is all he cared about.
    I used the term career suicide w/ singer #4 and I stand by it. That's not saying it would suck it's just a simple fact. I would buy it and support it if it was good.
    Ed needs to decide what's important for the band and I think he wants the limelight again. Otherwise he would've stuck with Gary.
    Do you believe? Don't you trust me?<br /><br />"I'm just trying to get in to heaven, I'm not running for Jesus." - Homer Simpson

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Meanstreet
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If Eddie wants the limelight again then he needs Dave. It's that simple. These two guys need each other if they want commercial success again.

Dave's going nowhere with his latest song. Eddie's doing nothing and alienating the rest of his fans. These guys need to hook up if they want commercial success again.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Originally posted by jdogg5150:
    I completely agree with SBS. I would also embrace singer #4 if it was kick ass VH music.
    Hey, I LOVED Cherone's work with VH and still do...

As has been posted NUMEROUS times, time isn't on anyone's side here...EVEN IF DAVE RETURNS!! All the guys are a heckuva lot closer to 50 than they are to 40...I'm actually sorta HOPING for Mike to join HSAS2 and for Ed and Al to do the movie thing...something FRESH!!

Look what movie scoring has done for Danny Elfman's career!!
    Can't stop...addicted to the shindig...

Last Online

12.01.17 @ 09:52 AM
    Liked 33 Times in 27 Posts

But Ed is looking for commercial success. If he wasn't he would've said "fuck what you think VH3 is what we wanted, who cares how it sold?".
    Ed needs to decide what's important for the band and I think he wants the limelight again. Otherwise he would've stuck with Gary.
    Eddie stood by VH3 and Gary throughout the album, tour, and in 99 while making a new record. If Eddie wanted commercial succes he would have jumped at the chance in 96 and again in the recent past.
    Gary left on his own accord. He's said that himself. Gary obviously was feeling the negativity among "fans" and "critics" and it ultimately led to his departure. Eddie didn't give him the boot.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Meanstreet
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by gabby gabbster:
    Eddie stood by VH3 and Gary throughout the album, tour, and in 99 while making a new record. If Eddie wanted commercial succes he would have jumped at the chance in 96
    Eddie thought he could just plug in another new singer in 96 and everything would be great like it was in 85. He miscalculated big time.
    and again in the recent past.
    No one knows why they haven't reunited this time. Maybe it's Dave wanting too much? Eddie may want to reunite, but not at Dave's asking price.
    Gary left on his own accord. He's said that himself. Gary obviously was feeling the negativity among "fans" and "critics" and it ultimately led to his departure. Eddie didn't give him the boot.
    This situation is very simular to the split with Warner Brothers. VH says they walked away from WB, but I have a feeling WB gave them the boot. Same with Gary. He says he left, but I have a feeling Eddie gave him the boot.

Last Online

12.01.17 @ 09:52 AM
    Liked 33 Times in 27 Posts

Originally posted by dj88:
    This situation is very simular to the split with Warner Brothers. VH says they walked away from WB, but I have a feeling WB gave them the boot. Same with Gary. He says he left, but I have a feeling Eddie gave him the boot.[/QB]
    I dunno...after all the bs that went on in 96 I don't think Eddie was anxious to boot Gary and call up Dave/Sam. People assume VH thought VH3 was a failure and changed their minds about a reunion. That is only "our" perception, because after all, VH has said nothing.
    It would have been much easier for Eddie to keep Gary and continue making an album than completely change the course of things. I think Gary left for two reasons: 1) he felt the negativity from fans and critics 2) he wanted to persue other musical directions.

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I agree that up until the VH3 tour was over Ed thought he could plug anyone in, as long as they did old VH live. I also agree Ed miscalculated.
    He knows what he has to do to get the limelight he wants. I really feel if he didn't want that limelight he would have stayed with Gary. I also like VH3.
    Do you believe? Don't you trust me?<br /><br />"I'm just trying to get in to heaven, I'm not running for Jesus." - Homer Simpson

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, Fair Warning, Diver Down, 1984, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Atomic Punk, Mean Street, Jump, Feels So Good, The Seventh Seal
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Guitar Shark:
    The band is probably set for life financially even if they never put out another album. I really don't know what Dave's financial situation is, but I would imagine it's probably true for him too. If these guys can't stand to work together, or if the magic is no longer there, then the money probably isn't going to be enough to convince them to do it. It wasn't enough in '96, and I don't see why it would be now.
    Hmmm... back then Dave was in a similar situation as today.

But... VH wasn't.

All their releases up to that day, no matter who was singing, had gone multi-platinum.

Hence... maybe Ed was a bit illusional and thought he could achieve another singer transition like in 1985 and still keep the success.

Which... as we've seen... wasn't really successful.
    I'm a Dirty-Faced Kid... so could some cute female do me the favor and lick me clean, please?!<br /><br />"Nobody rules these streets at night but me... the ATOMIC PUNK!" - DLR (1978)<br /><br />"This must be just like living in paradise... and I don't wanna go home" - DLR (1988)<br /><br />"So put it off until judgment day... I bear the cross on judgment day" - Sammy Hagar (1991)<br /><br />Obey the DFK!<br /><br /><b>IF YOU'RE DFK... YOU'RE DFK 4 LIFE!</b>

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    Last Online

08.27.17 @ 09:39 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 105 Posts

I agree that up until the VH3 tour was over Ed thought he could plug anyone in, as long as they did old VH live. I also agree Ed miscalculated.
    He knows what he has to do to get the limelight he wants. I really feel if he didn't want that limelight he would have stayed with Gary. I also like VH3.
    Dave also knows what he has to do to get "the limelight" he wants...I agree Eddie knows too. They both better figure something out soon or they could end up retiring before Rolling Stones decides to call it quits...that would be embarrassing! [img]graemlins/cry.gif[/img]
    Just go for it!

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by BREW CREW:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by jdogg5150:
    Dave also knows what he has to do to get "the limelight" he wants...I agree Eddie knows too. They both better figure something out soon or they could end up retiring before Rolling Stones decides to call it quits...that would be embarrassing! [img]graemlins/cry.gif[/img] </font>[/QUOTE]Oh yeah DLR wants the limelight. He's made it pretty clear he wants back in and has for quite a few years now.