Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 10:19 AM
    Liked 527 Times in 242 Posts

Lets see just who came up with the music first for Sammy to put lyrics to. Hmmmmmmmmm.......Edward Van Halen

He gave Sammy softer keyboard songs than JUMP to work with. DREAMS was the most upbeat keyboard song and in comparing it to JUMP, they are similar and neither one was cheese.

What words would you come up with if you were given the music to
    LOVE WALKS IN?
    CAN'T STOP LOVING YOU
    NOT ENOUGH
    WHEN ITS LOVE
    FEELS SO GOOD?

Eddie is responsible for any "cheese", when he gave Sam a rockin' beat, Sam came up with some pretty cool lyrics.
    Sam says what he feels in his heart, Dave writes what his penis tells him to.

If I listened to my penis all the time, then I to would still be single and not have a great family to go home to. I think that deep down, Dave is an insecure, lonely man.

Plus, I haven't heard much "cheese" from Sam's last 2 solo albums.

Plus when its says Van Halen, its all better than anything else.

[ January 16, 2002 at 01:12 PM: Message edited by: Eddymon ]</p>
    'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

VAN HALEN I
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Eddymon:
    If I listened to my penis all the time, then I to would still be single and not have a great family to go home to. I think that deep down, Dave is an insecure, lonely man.

[ January 16, 2002 at 01:12 PM: Message edited by: Eddymon ]
    <hr></blockquote>

Deep down you must be an asshole.

Are you referring to the last 2 solo Sammy albums that sold about 100 copies?

When are you going to come out with another one of your bullshit rumors, shit for brains.

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 10:19 AM
    Liked 527 Times in 242 Posts

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Sammy Who?:

Deep down you must be an asshole.

Are you referring to the last 2 solo Sammy albums that sold about 100 copies?

When are you going to come out with another one of your bullshit rumors, shit for brains.
    <hr></blockquote>

Deep down between my ass crack, yes there is an asshole. and it looks just like you.

Just how many copies have Dave's last 3 albums sold?

Rumors are just that, but if I listen with a deaf ear like you, then maybe I TOO would have shit for brains in my head.

I didn't start this as a Dave VS. SAMMY topic, I just wanted to point out just who wrote the music first.
    Feel free to go back to your army buddies. Or is the site down? AGAIN.
    'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 08:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Eddymon:
    Lets see just who came up with the music first for Sammy to put lyrics to. Hmmmmmmmmm.......Edward Van Halen

And your point is?

He gave Sammy softer keyboard songs than JUMP to work with. DREAMS was the most upbeat keyboard song and in comparing it to JUMP, they are similar and neither one was cheese.

Both are cheese and both are crap. Yes, I said it. Jump, and especially "I'll wait" are throwaway shitty trendy pop songs. So sue me if you don't like it. The difference is, the lyrics are not deliberate sap pandering to 13 year old girls.

What words would you come up with if you were given the music to
    LOVE WALKS IN?
    CAN'T STOP LOVING YOU
    NOT ENOUGH
    WHEN ITS LOVE
    FEELS SO GOOD?

I would have reminded Eddie we were supposed to be a FUCKING ROCK BAND. Sammy wants to write about aliens? Why didn't he write a song about being abducted and subjected to evil medical experiments on the mothership? Would have made more sense than "Cheese comes walking in".

Eddie is responsible for any "cheese", when he gave Sam a rockin' beat, Sam came up with some pretty cool lyrics.

Like Spanked, Big Fat Money, or God Damn Amsterdam??

Sam says what he feels in his heart

Right.... "I can't tell you but it lasts forever" is a line written by a guy who would dump his wife of 25 years for a younger model just a few years later. Sammy didn't write one word of that cheesy shit from his heart. He was selling out to the trendy top 40 market.

Dave writes what his penis tells him to.

Just because Dave's cock posts online doesn't mean it wrote the lyrics too. I hardly think Dave's dick had anything to do with Mean Street or Running With The Devil.

If he is, he sure hides it well. Insecure? David Lee Roth?

Guess you missed the 4 cheese ballads in a row right in the middle of 10-13 then. And what could be cheesier than singing happy birthday to YOURSELF?? Just like Big Fat Money and Amsterdamn, there was a piece of music that had potential to be much better if not for the sorry assed lyrics.

Plus when its says Van Halen, its all better than anything else.

That hasn't been the case since 1985, and won't be the case again until Dave, Eddie, Mikey, and Alex take the stage together again.

[ January 16, 2002 at 02:28 PM: Message edited by: FORD ]</p>
    Eat Us And Smile

Welcome back, Van HALEN!!!!

...It's the BAND and Dave is really the cat that can front VH. He sang his ASS off and was really cool. No cheese here guys, this is filet Mignon! - Steve Lukather's comment after witnessing a Van HALEN 2007 rehearsal

"What then is this bleating of sheep in my ears?"- 1 Samuel 15:14

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

02.20.07 @ 03:36 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Give it up, Eddymon. "Dave is an insecure, lonely man"? "Dave just writes what his penis tells him to"? Fuck that shit. Sammy Hagar is a typically boring 80's singer with a typical hair band singing range, pathetically stupid lyrics that are either bad protest songs, pathetic love songs, or songs about his sexual drive (Sammy wrote BLACK AND BLUE, but Dave is the one singing about his penis?). Sammy Hagar is a fucking joke when it comes to lyrics. He's such a typical singer it's not funny.

And his solo albums are nothing but cheese with bad blues. He couldn't write a good song by himself if he tried.

At least Dave is original.

You know what else? The Dave-era VH songs are ALL classics. You even hear the album cuts (non-singles) on the radio all the time. How often have you heard THE DREAM IS OVER, SUCKER IN A 3-PIECE or other album filler garbage on the radio?

Hagar's an idiot as a lyric-writer. We all disagree on that every day, but he has none of Roth's word talent. And you know why this is? Simple. Roth reads a lot of books. Hagar doesn't.

I'd love it if we could post both singers IQ's in this forum. That would end a lot of arguments really quickly in here. (Please, no replies stating that Hagar would win...his lyrics prove that he wouldn't.)
    "I had a girl beating on my hotel door all night...She was screaming, crying. Finally, I said, 'What the hell'...and I let her out!"- DLR

Eruption
    Light industrial complex on Eastern Seaboard
    Last Online

06.08.07 @ 12:27 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Rikk:
    Give it up, Eddymon. "Dave is an insecure, lonely man"? "Dave just writes what his penis tells him to"? Fuck that shit. Sammy Hagar is a typically boring 80's singer with a typical hair band singing range, pathetically stupid lyrics that are either bad protest songs, pathetic love songs, or songs about his sexual drive (Sammy wrote BLACK AND BLUE, but Dave is the one singing about his penis?). Sammy Hagar is a fucking joke when it comes to lyrics. He's such a typical singer it's not funny.

And his solo albums are nothing but cheese with bad blues. He couldn't write a good song by himself if he tried.

At least Dave is original.

You know what else? The Dave-era VH songs are ALL classics. You even hear the album cuts (non-singles) on the radio all the time. How often have you heard THE DREAM IS OVER, SUCKER IN A 3-PIECE or other album filler garbage on the radio?

Hagar's an idiot as a lyric-writer. We all disagree on that every day, but he has none of Roth's word talent. And you know why this is? Simple. Roth reads a lot of books. Hagar doesn't.

I'd love it if we could post both singers IQ's in this forum. That would end a lot of arguments really quickly in here. (Please, no replies stating that Hagar would win...his lyrics prove that he wouldn't.)
    <hr></blockquote>

rikky, get a grip, doode.

dave original? sammy typical 80s?

dave is the most unoriginal excuse for a 'has been 80s rock front man' still breathing today. fuck, billy idol at least crawled off to some hole and gave up the ghost. dave still thinks he has what it takes!! what a laugh!!

and you want to make a lyrical comparison? please... ice cream man is some heavy shit no doubt. but i think right now has the edge.

deal with it, rikky: your man dave can't sing, can't write, has no career and no credibility. he is utterly irrelevant. the only reason he was EVER relevant is because he fronted for VH. that loser wakes up every morning crying about it, too.

in his mid-50s, drunk on vitamin T and slopping chili with beans and chasing it with slimfast, sammy can still sing rings around that balding fake.

Favorite VH Album

Dave stuff
    Favorite VH Song

Can\'t just have one...
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm staying out of this one, but Dave didn't write "Ice Cream Man".
    "I read somewhere that 77 per cent of all the mentally ill live in poverty. Actually, I'm more intrigued by the 23 per cent who are apparently doing<br />quite well for themselves." - Jerry Garcia (Grateful Dead)

Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

03.01.10 @ 10:22 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Eddymon:
    Sam says what he feels in his heart, Dave writes what his penis tells him to.

<hr></blockquote>

LMAO!!

Apparently, you have never heard that timeless Sammy classic, "Dick In The Dirt."

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Sammy Hagar is a fucking joke when it comes to lyrics. He's such a typical singer it's not funny.<hr></blockquote>

I wouldn't say Sammy is typical at all. The man has a great voice. While his lyrics don't speak to me in the same way Dave's do, they're pretty damn good given his choice of subject matter. Sure, there's a few bombs, but Dave has his as well.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>And his solo albums are nothing but cheese with bad blues. He couldn't write a good song by himself if he tried.<hr></blockquote>

Rikk, you're really out on a lonely limb there. Have you listened to Ten 13? Or MtM? Those are damn good albums. You tarnish the credibility of your opinions with statements like that.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>At least Dave is original.<hr></blockquote>

Now that is a funny statement, if you look at many of the songs he's widely known for. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>And you know why this is? Simple. Roth reads a lot of books. Hagar doesn't.
    <hr></blockquote>

I'm curious as to how you know this. I'd ask you to show proof of it, but the only fact in evidence is that you're attempting to pass off your assumption as fact. I've known plenty of people who constantly read a wide variety of books, yet have no wit or way with words. I've also known people who haven't picked up anything in print other than their paychecks yet can twist words in ways that leave you wondering just what was said, and desperately trying to remember just how they said it.

IQ? C'mon man. Get off it. It doesn't matter when it comes to talent. There's plenty of very talented folks out there that can't hold a candle to many of the people on this forum, yet who's famous and successful?

What's next? The size of their dicks?

[ January 16, 2002 at 03:49 PM: Message edited by: MikeL ]</p>

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Name me one Hagar song that's so unbelievably profound.

With Roth, it's not even the content or idea so much as the delivery. Watching UNCHAINED live from the FAIR WARNING tour simply pumps me up with incredible adrenaline. Watching Hagar sing POUNDCAKE doesn't. Sorry, it's just me. Can you guys accept that or not? POUNDCAKE or even RIGHT NOW don't necessarily say anything incredible whatsoever. All he's saying in RIGHT NOW is we've gotta do it right now because there may be no tomorrow. Great. Sounds like a Journey song. I'm not dissing it, I'm just saying that it's not exactly WAR AND PEACE, okay?

Look, we all have opinions, that's great. I don't want you to suddenly say, "Hey, Rikk, you're right. Dave is better." Like who you want to like. But don't then yell and scream and call Dave a moron just because Dave fans don't see whatever you guys see as the brilliance of Sammy Hagar. You like chocolate? Fucking great. I prefer vanilla.

I feel when I'm listening to Dave that I'm listening to a great frontman who rights great lyrics and doesn't sound like anyone else in my giant record collection. When I hear Hagar, I hear a talented singer with a great sense of melody, but I find his lyrics a little dumb. And his delivery generally doesn't work for me as much.

Get over it. Like what you like.
    "I had a girl beating on my hotel door all night...She was screaming, crying. Finally, I said, 'What the hell'...and I let her out!"- DLR

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning or 1984 by mood
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

07.19.13 @ 08:52 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well, I think Rikk is dead-on-point in his analysis of the lyrics the two vocalists produce. And as far as the "typical vocalist" thang goes - well, although Sammy has his own distinct quality, he most certainly IS closer to that generic-metal Dio-Coverdale register than most.

All that aside - and discounting his observations on Roth, which were largely so much pap - I found myself agreeing with much of what Eddymon said. I think Sammy's sounding a hell of a lot more pure, unfettered, and urgent on his latest solo stuff than he ever did with Van Halen. Which leads me to wonder if that maudlin direction the music took was actually a bad influence on Sammy(!)

Where FORD and I part company a little is that I'm more willing to forgive lyrical misdemeanors if they weren't meant seriously to start with. That's why "Big Fat Money" and "Amsterdam" don't bother me so much. The cheese factor as a Bug sees it comes in when you take on more ambitious topics only to end up reaching beyond your lyrical grasp.

That's why you can argue that "Dreams" has a cheese factor that "Jump" avoids. Same thing for "Love Walks In" and "I'll Wait". Dave takes his lyrical ventures one eight-second quarter-mile at a time, while Sammy aims all the way for the state line and blows a verbal gasket after a hundred yards.

Did the music lay the groundwork and invite him to do so?

Sure. That's a premise I'd willingly accept. I make no bones about my vast preference for the latest solo Hagar over 2nd-gen Van Halen.
    Classic Van Halen. In Pace Requiescant.

"...sure I'm on zoloft. That's so I don't hafta kill none o' y'all..." - Mike Tyson

and by the way...

Eat Us And Smile.

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children 1st
    Favorite VH Song

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 06:38 PM
    Liked 24 Times in 15 Posts

The fact that Dave pretty much wrote with his penis is one of the main reasons why classic Van Halen is so great. If you were a teenager when the first six albums were released you might be able to better identify with the content. The main, most vital thing that 99% of American males as teen-agers wanted to get was laid. Plus the fact that the music combined with DLR's persona was astonishingly great.

If you aren't old enough to remember when those albums were new, I guess Hagar's station wagon driving, flower garden growing, white-picket fence building, 2.5 children having version of "love" is what you grew up on and what you perceive Van Halens original message was. Not me. I'm in my thirties and I can still identify with wanting to party and pick up talent. Granted, current commitments deem those events less likely [img]graemlins/cry.gif[/img] but listening to the original team helps me recapture that kick-ass feeling I had as a testosterone dominated teen-ager I once so proudly was.
    Ni h-eibhneas gam Chlainn Domhnaill

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Name me one Hagar song that's so unbelievably profound.
    <hr></blockquote>

Name me one Roth song that's so unbelievably profound. I'm not dissing it, I'm just saying that it's not exactly WAR AND PEACE, okay?

It's only rock and roll, but I like it.

Dave and Sam are far, far more alike than they are different. Same sort of career platues and peaks. Same problems in getting their solo material exposed in today's environment. Same backing band for the most successful period of their careers. They were both manipulated into leaving that backing band.

I've often thought that if Sam and Dave tipped a few back together, they'd find themselves having a great time. As Dave has said, they both know what it's like to lose a high profile gig.

All that aside, it'd be very interesting to find out what sort of lyrics DLR would have written for Dreams. Like Bug alluded to, sometimes the music lends itself to certain types of lyrics rather than others.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    Last Online

08.27.17 @ 09:39 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 105 Posts

Forgive me if I am wrong...but wasn't Right Now written in the DLR era?
    This IS a speculation forum, so why does everyone piss and , moan about someones speculation? Just fucking accept it, and give your speculation, and move on!!!!
    My speculation: Sammy is a straight ahead rocker and lyricist...DLR has been complicated since he was able to talk (read his book).
    SOOOOO the lyrics are gonna be the same.
    Straight ahead= Sammy
    Complicated to find a reason to the words = DLR.
    I think both are fucking geniuses because.....I wish I was in their shoes!!!!!!
    We are HERE bitching about who is better..and they are rocking the world making money singing Van Halen tunes and whatever they want for self-respect and cash! Can you do better?
    Nope! Just speculate! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    Just go for it!

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by MikeL:

Name me one Roth song that's so unbelievably profound. I'm not dissing it, I'm just saying that it's not exactly WAR AND PEACE, okay?

It's only rock and roll, but I like it.

Dave and Sam are far, far more alike than they are different. Same sort of career platues and peaks. Same problems in getting their solo material exposed in today's environment. Same backing band for the most successful period of their careers. They were both manipulated into leaving that backing band.

I've often thought that if Sam and Dave tipped a few back together, they'd find themselves having a great time. As Dave has said, they both know what it's like to lose a high profile gig.

All that aside, it'd be very interesting to find out what sort of lyrics DLR would have written for Dreams. Like Bug alluded to, sometimes the music lends itself to certain types of lyrics rather than others.
    <hr></blockquote>

Now that's an interesting point. I think, however, that Dave doesn't have a tendency to really sentamentalize as much as others. The only times he ever sings about love are really in the vein of, "So this is love." I don't really require profound thoughts, which is why I can still enjoy songs that I don't find particular profound, like FEELIN' or BLACK AND BLUE. Some people can scratch their heads and go, "Whoa" at something like RIGHT NOW. I liken it to Journey lyrics. But I can still get into it, groove wise. If I want to hear profound lyrics, I'll listen to Bob Dylan.

As for Dave, yes, he doesn't oversentamentalize, and I really can't picture what he would do for DREAMS. But I don't think he would shoot for something profound. I think he would do something that fits for himself, because that works for me. I like his groove better. But I wonder what he could have done for some of those more syrupy songs. I really don't know if he could have done a better job. (Hey, that's pretty big for me to admit, being pro-Dave and all! )