Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Sinner's Swing!
    Join Date
    03.09.00
    Location
    at home
    Posts
    3,412
    Favorite VH Album

    A Different Kind of Truth
    Favorite VH Song

    As Is
    Last Online

    10.09.12 @ 02:50 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Not sure if I believe the 50% figure but every rumour seems to suggest that Dave has asked for an amount of money that VH isn't prepared to offer. Dave isn't stupid - he must know that will happen..in fact it must have happened and doesn't look like changing anytime soon.

    Maybe he's played out this whole thing all along to bury VH. When Cherone left, the band probably had some options - but now they seem very limited or non-existent. Maybe he jammed with Eddie, realized the music wasn't happening and that a tour with a sick guitarist and drummer in their late 40s was not going to revive the spirit of 1978 or 1981 or whatever.

    Nevertheless he takes the high ground, says every little and what he says is positive (hoping Eddie gets better). Goes out an tour playing VH songs, looking fit and healthy, saying nothing about VH but playing VH songs while Eddie screws around on a golf course, and giving the impression that it's not his fault we aren't getting what we thought we would. Then rumours of an EEAS reunion start flying around.

    Now I don't think for one minute that EEAS would be 1/10th as big as a VH reunion. But Dave gets to keep his mystique and legacy as the VH frontman without the taint of a subpar album and/or a geriatrics on tour impression. VH on the other hand continue on their 5 year run of looking like chumps.

    It has a smell of scorched earth about it, but maybe Dave thinks he's the winner. Higher profile for him, and no "I want to be the singer in a huge band" because VH isn't huge or possibly isn't at all anymore.
    Delusions of eloquence

  2. #2
    Damage your reputation seenbad's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.24.00
    Age
    45
    Location
    Portland Oregon
    Posts
    26,946
    Favorite VH Album

    Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

    I'm the one
    Last Online

    12.15.17 @ 10:48 AM
    Likes
    73
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts


    Donor

    Thats an intersting angle. Havn't seen it brought up before.

    Personally, I think Daves ego needs the filling of the larger arena bookings. Look at him when he is onstage. He literally gets high as a kite when people applaud him. He basks in the spotlight. I think he wants the spotlight bigger, and wants more people to come see him. It cant get too big for that ego, no ammount is enough. I dont think any revenge plot is in his cards with the whole thing. He wants it too bad himself. BUT, then again, who knows what he's thinking. It's certainly a scenerio (one of many) that could make sense.

    I hope not. (gotta admit though, if revenge was on his mind more than a reunion, he's playing the game quite well.)
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

    Gunter glieben glauchen globen

  3. #3
    Atomic Punk MikeL's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.17.00
    Posts
    11,536
    Last Online

    03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post


    Donor

    So your theory is that this is an attempt to recapture the VH fan base that he lost throughout the 90s, while at the same time hurting his biggest competitor for that fan base.

    Perhaps that's the case, but I think if it is DLR overestimated the amount of publicity this saga has generated. The YR band getting back together isn't going to create a media splash, so the value of 'I tried working it out with VH, and they aren't capable' isn't as high as it might be. If he publicly takes that direction, the fan base he's working on will turn on him.

    Will he just remain quiet, as he has? He's not said one thing about VH since those website releases. He's got to be making a hell'uva effort not to say anything. The natural question people will ask is about VH.

    I'm not sure how a scenario like this would play out. I think at some point he'd have to say something, but I've thought that for years (almost) now, and it's not happened. Wouldn't VH torpedo him? If he wants us under the impression that they aren't capable, that'd only give them reason to prove him wrong.

    If we knew when (if?) the 50% figure was introduced into negotiations, we'd have a much better feel for Dave's intentions.

  4. #4
    Beloved Glenn's Avatar
    Join Date
    11.16.99
    Posts
    16,192
    Last Online

    02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post


    Donor

    <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jonathan:
    Maybe he jammed with Eddie, realized the music wasn't happening and that a tour with a sick guitarist and drummer in their late 40s was not going to revive the spirit of 1978 or 1981 or whatever.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I think that Dave's ego is big enough that he believes that as long as Alex can lift his arms, and Eddie can be propped up on a chair, he (Dave) has the charisma and power to carry the whole show on his shoulders. And I think he's dying to prove that to the world that has forgotten him for the last ten years.

  5. #5
    Sinner's Swing!
    Join Date
    03.09.00
    Location
    at home
    Posts
    3,412
    Favorite VH Album

    A Different Kind of Truth
    Favorite VH Song

    As Is
    Last Online

    10.09.12 @ 02:50 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

    <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MikeL:
    So your theory is that this is an attempt to recapture the VH fan base that he lost throughout the 90s, while at the same time hurting his biggest competitor for that fan base.

    Perhaps that's the case, but I think if it is DLR overestimated the amount of publicity this saga has generated. The YR band getting back together isn't going to create a media splash, so the value of 'I tried working it out with VH, and they aren't capable' isn't as high as it might be. If he publicly takes that direction, the fan base he's working on will turn on him.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

    I don't think he necessarily has to say anything....not anything negative at least. He's already out there playing while VH does nothing. And VH has found themselves in a position where they can't really do anything much...maybe Eddie doesn't even want to.

    How could VH torpedo Dave....the only remotely viable plan would be bringing back Sammy. That's gonna take an awful lot of personal and media repair work to not sound ridiculous........and even to get it off the ground "hey Sammy, it's Ed. Dave thinks we suck could you come back and prove him wrong"......seems unlikely.

    As for Dave's ego, well of course it's big. But these people don't seem to think like normal human beings....if they acted like we would expect things certainly wouldn't be in the position they are now.

    I'm 99% sure that Dave did ask for huge amounts of money......I don't know how much but it's something I heard before it was ever posted on the message boards. If he is unwilling to compromise then what other scenario does anyone suggest? If there's other things involved.....well we still come back to the fact that money seems to have been discussed...so they at least got that far. You'd think that Dave would be more reasonable if he's as desperate to play arenas as everyone thinks.......but like I said, who knows what goes in in their heads.
    Delusions of eloquence

  6. #6
    Baluchitherium
    Join Date
    06.10.00
    Posts
    4,228
    Last Online

    12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jonathan:


    I'm 99% sure that Dave did ask for huge amounts of money......I don't know how much but it's something I heard before it was ever posted on the message boards. If he is unwilling to compromise then what other scenario does anyone suggest? If there's other things involved.....well we still come back to the fact that money seems to have been discussed...so they at least got that far. You'd think that Dave would be more reasonable if he's as desperate to play arenas as everyone thinks.......but like I said, who knows what goes in in their heads.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>


    I don't think Dave is interested, for whatever reason [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<br /><br />God Bless the USA!!!!<br />~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

  7. #7
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    07.30.00
    Age
    44
    Location
    Indianapolis, Indiana.
    Posts
    1,746
    Last Online

    12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    The longer Dave remains silent, the longer he can continue to draw a crowd.

    IF Van Halen came forward at the beginning of Dave's tour and said "there is absolutely ZERO chance of us reuniting with Dave", I don't think Dave would have gotten half the response he's gotten on the road. A big part of the attraction is that people WANT to see a Dave/VH reunion, but they don't know if/when it's gonna be announced. If they knew there was no chance of seeing them back together, then the die-hard Dave fans would go see him, but many of the general VH fans would NOT be at those shows.

    Also, if VH announced that they WOULD be reuniting with Roth, then there would really be no reason to go to a Dave show, since people could soon be getting the 'real' band and not a cover band with Dave.

    If, let's say, VH and Dave both know that they are NOT reuniting, it is in Dave's best interest to do his tour in silence, as that question is a big part of the attraction. This way, the lack of announcement of 'no reunion' keeps Dave's drawing capacity at maximum; in other words, the silence would be doing Dave a favor. In return for this favor, Dave does NOT bad-mouth the band in any way. This way, he does no ADDITIONAL harm to their already tarnished public image. Each scratches the other's back, as it were.

    If VH and Dave know that they ARE reuniting, then Dave's tour (and silence during the tour) keep people hoping for a reunion while masking it, thus preserving any 'surprise' that the reunion may still have. (for those lucky few who don't ever hear all the rumors that we do, or follow every news bit every day)

    No matter how it may seem, the silence during Dave's tour is actually beneficial to BOTH sides, which, to me, does not sound like any sort of 'nail in coffin' approach by either side. If anything, it would seem to me that the two have at least agreed that maintaining silence about the situation is a mutual benefit; it allows for them both to continue what they're doing (whatever that may be for VH is anyone's guess) regardless of what the future may hold.

    [ August 29, 2001 at 06:40 PM: Message edited by: AbeVanHalen ]
    Don't bark at me...<b>I</b> didn't name ya.

  8. #8
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    05.28.00
    Location
    dirtland, usa
    Posts
    15,860
    Favorite VH Album

    the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

    hmmm...everybody wants some
    Last Online

    12.14.17 @ 09:52 PM
    Likes
    236
    Liked 967 Times in 387 Posts

    <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AbeVanHalen:
    The longer Dave remains silent, the longer he can continue to draw a crowd.

    IF Van Halen came forward at the beginning of Dave's tour and said "there is absolutely ZERO chance of us reuniting with Dave", I don't think Dave would have gotten half the response he's gotten on the road. A big part of the attraction is that people WANT to see a Dave/VH reunion, but they don't know if/when it's gonna be announced. If they knew there was no chance of seeing them back together, then the die-hard Dave fans would go see him, but many of the general VH fans would NOT be at those shows.

    Also, if VH announced that they WOULD be reuniting with Roth, then there would really be no reason to go to a Dave show, since people could soon be getting the 'real' band and not a cover band with Dave.

    If, let's say, VH and Dave both know that they are NOT reuniting, it is in Dave's best interest to do his tour in silence, as that question is a big part of the attraction. This way, the lack of announcement of 'no reunion' keeps Dave's drawing capacity at maximum; in other words, the silence would be doing Dave a favor. In return for this favor, Dave does NOT bad-mouth the band in any way. This way, he does no ADDITIONAL harm to their already tarnished public image. Each scratches the other's back, as it were.

    If VH and Dave know that they ARE reuniting, then Dave's tour (and silence during the tour) keep people hoping for a reunion while masking it, thus preserving any 'surprise' that the reunion may still have. (for those lucky few who don't ever hear all the rumors that we do, or follow every news bit every day)

    No matter how it may seem, the silence during Dave's tour is actually beneficial to BOTH sides, which, to me, does not sound like any sort of 'nail in coffin' approach by either side. If anything, it would seem to me that the two have at least agreed that maintaining silence about the situation is a mutual benefit; it allows for them both to continue what they're doing (whatever that may be for VH is anyone's guess) regardless of what the future may hold.

    [ August 29, 2001 at 06:40 PM: Message edited by: AbeVanHalen ]
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

    that may damn well be the best thought out response about this whole situation i have read! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

    great post abe! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

    JMJ
    "you can't change JMJ, it's legendary"- Brett Norton 9/24/07

    "It's the "JMJ" everyone had grown to love, man! Time to blow the roof off this place!"
    -Zachenfoot 2/23/10

    "The links just look a little better with JMJ. Always has, always will." -Hurricane Halen 2/24/10

    "I'm doin' the victory dance. Told ya I'd be back. Tell me ya missed me. Say it like ya mean it" - Blood and Fire. =VH= 2012. Welcome back boys :headband:

    "I don't give a flying fuck about Motley Crue. I give about a half a fuck about Rush. I like Van Halen and don't give a flying fuck how many tickets they all sell. Any questions?"- jimmyw

  9. #9
    Sinner's Swing!
    Join Date
    03.09.00
    Location
    at home
    Posts
    3,412
    Favorite VH Album

    A Different Kind of Truth
    Favorite VH Song

    As Is
    Last Online

    10.09.12 @ 02:50 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

    I don't think VH are either definitely or definitely not reuniting. I don't see Dave putting together a band at two weeks notice and playing an incoherent sequence of festivals and casinos over the summer in either scenario.

    If VH are reuniting there is a gazillion dollars waiting for Dave, why on earth would he be doing festivals in North Dakota, Minnesota and Nebraska or whatever. It's not a tour in any traditional sense and playing all VH songs isn't the start of any grand new artisitc vision for a solo career.

    If he isn't in VH -well then there isn't really a VH is there? Van Halen doesn't even have a management. I don't believe Dave is doing this to make a few bucks while people think he might be in VH. The dates are too short term, too last minute and in many cases he was just added to already existing shows. And after spending 17 years badmouthing other lineups of VH - he's suddenly gonna be nice on the premise that a few more people will come see him in Kansas?

    I think we're drawn back to the fact that Dave might yet be in VH but that they can't agree details. The few public comments either side have made support that..... and that leads us back to the question of why Dave isn't compromising gievn the general "wisdom" that he's desperate to be in VH and play large arenas again.

    Dave is totally about Dave, and Eddie is clueless when it comes to PR. It's all posturing, not mutual backscratching IMO.

    [ August 30, 2001 at 07:43 AM: Message edited by: Jonathan ]
    Delusions of eloquence

  10. #10
    Imperial Fascist Overlord Down In Flames's Avatar
    Join Date
    05.28.00
    Location
    Your Mother's Bedroom
    Posts
    14,285
    Favorite VH Album

    VH II
    Favorite VH Song

    D.O.A.
    Last Online

    @
    Likes
    0
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    I don't think the theory is off the wall... Especially since I've spoken to a friend of mine about it. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

    Only my friend thinks it's the other way around; that VH is trying to bury Dave. [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img]

    Supposedly, by getting in touch with Dave while he was in the midst of working on the follow up to the DLR Band, the never-ending prospect of his rejoining the band has been VH's way of keeping him from regaining any kind of solo success. That's my bud's theory, anyway.

    But, then again, my bud's off the wall, himself... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
    http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/images/avatars/michael3.jpg

    "You are the McCarthy of this board. The witch burner." - strungout, on yours truly

    "Only Eddymon would claim victory during a FOUR game losing streak." - OLO

    "Did I not say, 'I think we should shoot him!' I did. Double rainbow on this end. I require a high five. Out."- track 5, on the delicate art of banning

    "If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire..."

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Conspiracy Theory: Diamond Dave' to hit Fairgrounds
    By voivod in forum The Diamond One
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06.16.06, 07:54 AM
  2. the writning on the wall
    By andyjohnson in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11.11.02, 07:47 AM
  3. The Wall
    By diamondsgirl in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Music Only)
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 02.26.02, 02:40 PM
  4. The writing is on the wall
    By dj88 in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 02.12.02, 10:03 AM
  5. The writing is on the wall
    By dj88 in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02.11.02, 11:27 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •