Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

How many of you out there that are saying Roth's voice "has left the building" ever saw him live with VH? Anyone that saw VH live with Roth knows that his voice was never very good live. I saw VH with DLR 6 times and just saw Roth last week at VA Beach. His voice is not much different. In fact, you could say he is better now because he pays more attention to the lyrics, which was not always the case.
    There is no argument that Sammy is the better pure singer. VH with DLR was about the total package...the vibe....the presence....the edge they had. Stop worry about the voice and start hoping for "the band".

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, and the rest of the first 6 albums!
    Favorite VH Song

Everthing off of the first 6 albums!
    Last Online

01.10.09 @ 01:07 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

These kids....man they are so clueless ya know?

They wouldn't know Rock N Roll if someone slammed a guitar over their head.
    Roth is kicking ass and taking names, and leaving Sammy in the dust...

Roth's voice was strong and in charge on Tuesday...Real Rock N Roll is about ATTITUDE. something many of these kids here do not understand and never will.

Example:
    Motorhead = ATTITUDE
    Ramones = ATTITUDE
    Jerry Lee Lewis = ATTITUDE
    Hendrix = ATTITUDE
    Led Zeppelin = ATTITUDE
    old Metallica(pre Justice) = ATTITUDE
    Slayer = ATTITUDE
    Johnny Fuckin' Cash = ATTITUDE
    Van Halen with Roth = ATTITUDE
    Soundgarden = ATTITUDE
    Alice In Chains = ATTITUDE
    The Supersuckers = ATTITUDE
    The Misfits = ATTITUDE
    The Rolling Stones = ATTITUDE

get it???

Last Online

12.07.17 @ 01:08 PM
    Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts

I agree. Roth's voice has always sucked live. Period.

VH with Roth is about the experience, not the voice.

Roth has always been about the show. That's what made it Van Halen.

While I do not agree with Cock on DLR leaving Sammy in the dust (far from it), I do agree that each offers there or uniqueness on the Van Halen experience.

What I don't get, is why people bitch so much about the singer issue.

If you enjoy Dave....Great.
    If you enjoy Sam.....Great.

Guess what. They're on the road together so you get the best of both worlds.

Enjoy!!!

[img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by Crown Royal:
    I agree. Roth's voice has always sucked live. Period.

VH with Roth is about the experience, not the voice.

Roth has always been about the show. That's what made it Van Halen.

While I do not agree with Cock on DLR leaving Sammy in the dust (far from it), I do agree that each offers there or uniqueness on the Van Halen experience.

What I don't get, is why people bitch so much about the singer issue.

If you enjoy Dave....Great.
    If you enjoy Sam.....Great.

Guess what. They're on the road together so you get the best of both worlds.

Enjoy!!!

[img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    i can only speak for the shows that "I personally saw", as for others, I am sure there were nights when Sam was on top....Tuesday(8/20) Dave did leave Sam in the dust....

Sat(8/17) Dave did win, but it was a closer margin performance wise...

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

11.15.17 @ 03:55 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well, I'd have to agree with DLR'sCock that Dave brings an attitude to his performances that is unmistakable. While some of his antics are antiquated and just plain stupid, he has a swagger that made him a blast to see live. Based on live mp3's that I had heard in the past I was one of the people that said Roth's voice was bad and that he wouldn't work with VH ya da ya da ya da. But, I saw the Sam and Dave tour in St. Louis (first time I'd ever seen Dave as a matter of fact) and I thought he did great. As I said before in a different thread, I went in with low expectations based on the mp3's that I had heard but I went away more than impressed. I disagree with the statement that he left Sam in the dust but that doesn't mean I think Dave did not do well. I happen to prefer Sam but would welcome Roth's return. I'm a Van Halen fan. I just wish there was a way for both to do something with the band--that would truly be something to see. But, if it's one or the other, I can live with that as well.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

While I will admit my prefernece for VHw/DLR and hope they can work something out for the future, I will also agree with that we should should chill about the singer comparisions ( ironic though that this tour is an invitation to do just that). The only issue I have now is that Sammy has really disappointed me with the things he has said lately about Roth. Before all of his statements, it was about the preference of each singers style and vocals. Now, for me at least, it goes beyond that. I never prefered VH-DLR because I disliked Sammy as a person.....until now. Again, it's not about the voice. It's about the whole package.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

02.20.07 @ 03:36 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I agree with Cock...it's about the attitude! Hendrix was not a very good singer, yet I love the sound of his voice. PURPLE HAZE would absolutely suck if someone like Sammy Hagar was singing. BROWN SUGAR, I WANNA BE SEDATED, WHOLE LOTTA SHAKIN' GOIN' ON, I WALK THE LINE...these are all classic songs, and if someone with a high-pitched voice like Sam was trying to sing them, they would be ruined.

To me, it's not about octave-range, it's not about perfection of pitch...it's about attitude and swagger. James Brown will always be 1000 times better to me than Celine Dion. Celine Dion may have a better voice, but she just plain sucks. She's horrible. James Brown does not exactly have the most-trained, best musical voice in history. Yet, he's amazing.

It's funny how this tour has brought this Dave vs. Sam fight to the forefront again. And it's also amazing the things fans will bring up to prove which singer is better or which singer should re-join Van Halen. Telling Dave fans that Sam's voice is better is not going to surprise anyone...or change their minds.
    "I had a girl beating on my hotel door all night...She was screaming, crying. Finally, I said, 'What the hell'...and I let her out!"- DLR

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

A Different Kind of Truth
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

01.13.16 @ 05:43 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Either you already like Dave, or you don't.

Either you already like Sam, or you don't.

Check, please!
    Staying Frosty

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by Rikk:
    I agree with Cock...it's about the attitude! Hendrix was not a very good singer, yet I love the sound of his voice. PURPLE HAZE would absolutely suck if someone like Sammy Hagar was singing. BROWN SUGAR, I WANNA BE SEDATED, WHOLE LOTTA SHAKIN' GOIN' ON, I WALK THE LINE...these are all classic songs, and if someone with a high-pitched voice like Sam was trying to sing them, they would be ruined.

To me, it's not about octave-range, it's not about perfection of pitch...it's about attitude and swagger. James Brown will always be 1000 times better to me than Celine Dion. Celine Dion may have a better voice, but she just plain sucks. She's horrible. James Brown does not exactly have the most-trained, best musical voice in history. Yet, he's amazing.

It's funny how this tour has brought this Dave vs. Sam fight to the forefront again. And it's also amazing the things fans will bring up to prove which singer is better or which singer should re-join Van Halen. Telling Dave fans that Sam's voice is better is not going to surprise anyone...or change their minds.
    Yeah the Man, James Brown, was another one I was going to add!!!!! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img]

Last Online

12.07.17 @ 01:08 PM
    Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts

Originally posted by Rikk:
    And it's also amazing the things fans will bring up to prove which singer is better or which singer should re-join Van Halen.
    No Shit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

07.27.07 @ 01:06 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I think one thing is being lost on everyone. Dave does sound allot better these days then he did 10 years ago.

That happens to allot of singers, check out some live Stones tunes from back in the early 80's, he sounded terrible, today he sound's more like his "old" self then he ever has.

I seen The Who in Bush Stadium during there first "comeback" tour back in the mid 80's, and Roger sounded really, really terrible. I know most people watched the Concert For Knew York City, he sounded pretty freaking amazing for that.

All of these guys, including Dave, have taken some sort of vocal coaching, they just don't improve like that on there own. If VH did a Roth tour today, there would be some very amazing shows that would remind people of when VH ruled the stage back in the late 70's and early 80's. But there would probably be some pretty weak performances on Daves part, but I think Eddie, Al, and Mike are a little more talented then Daves band, they could easily cover for any ocassional short commings. Dave is getting up there in age, certain thing's deteriorate (spell?) as you get older. A good idea would be to make the set list very "open", just in case his voice isnt' what it should be on a given night.

Dave put togethor 2 pretty freaking amazing tunes with VH back in '96, and his voice wasn't in half the shape that it's in now, it's not reasonable to assume that anything VH did with Dave would be embarassing.

Now if he would just update his image a little bit, then we would be on to something. What happened to the '96 look, that was cool, and it was 6 years ago.

Having said all of this, I wouldn't mind if they got back togethor with Sammy either. Seen them with Sammy, he kicked allot of ass, just didn't get to hear any cool old VH tunes.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

05.17.09 @ 06:50 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I read an interview with Ed from Guitar Player where Ed said that Dave couldn't pull off Me Wise Magic live. Does anyone know if Ed tuned down for Dave for the Best Of tunes?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:33 PM
    Liked 11,543 Times in 4,918 Posts

I Wanna Be Sedated? Shit and I thought some of us had good taste in music. My mistake. [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img]
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

07.27.07 @ 01:06 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Eddie tuned down for Dave and Sammy. According to him, the only guy he didn't tune down for was Gary, but I don't think that was doing him any favors considering how strained he sounded on the album.

I think the main thing with the Best Of tunes was that it was a big patch job, sing a few lyrics and then rest, then sing some more. Nothing straight through. He could probably knock out some pretty easily now though, just nothing like Me Wise Magic, that would have been pushing it for him during the "Paradise" era.

Eddie also said that Sammy sang "Dreams" straight through with no touch up's, I can't even imagine that, I doubt it's true.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 03:59 PM
    Liked 555 Times in 251 Posts

Originally posted by Brett:
    I Wanna Be Sedated? Shit and I thought some of us had good taste in music. My mistake. [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img]
    Hey, they even do a key change in that song! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    Eat Us and Smile!