Thread: Sammy vs VH 3

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

I just got through watching the Sammy DVD from the Ten 13 tour and the "Live At The Ten Spot" vids, and man oh man is Sammy ever smokin good in comparison! I couldn't believe it!!

I don't really care for a whole lot of Sammy stuff, but man does he ever deliever in his performance.

I think he's lost a bit in the vocal range, but he's an adaptive MF, you'd never know it. He has sooo much energy, and he's totally in touch with the audience. I was pleasantly suprised.

The LATTS vid was rotten in comparison, it sounded like a VH cover band, I was not impressed at all, and I'm the guy that can generally find the good parts in most permformances! Ed's tone was horrible, he was off, and the band looked and sounded real tired.

I also watched the MTV Vid awards again, as well as several interviews with Dave before and after the 96 fiasco, and if anything, this experience tell me they need Sam back, or they need to pack it in, I truely don't think Dave ( or a new singer )is an option after seeing and hearing this!

Your thoughts, and why?
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 03:59 PM
    Liked 555 Times in 251 Posts

that 10spot performance was the nail in the coffin.

Considering that people came to their feet for the "classic songs" for both VanGary and VanHagar then the choice of singer is obvious------ROTH
    Eat Us and Smile!

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

MCMLXXXIV
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

"Live at the 10 Spot" was horrible. I remember watching it the night it was broadcasted. You're right, Ed's tone was a mushy pile of shit. I have some mp3's from that show ("mean street" being one) and believe me, when you watch the video you don't realize how bad they sounded until you listen to the music by itself. A matter of fact, this might have been a good or a bad move on my part but because of this performance I refrained from buying a 5150 amp head.

[ August 22, 2001 at 08:09 AM: Message edited by: AxeSlinger84 ]

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hain23x:

Considering that people came to their feet for the "classic songs" for both VanGary and VanHagar then the choice of singer is obvious------ROTH
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nah, just means they need to keep the old stuff in the rotation [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

Sammy's a showman and puts on a hell of a concert. Well, okay, if you don't want to say that, you can always say he can keep his fans happy, which is all that matters.
    "Just once I'd like to do the right thing and not get punished for it."

Last Online

09.26.07 @ 02:38 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I never saw VH in concert with Gary but I did see Sammy during his last tour. Judging from the Ten Spot concert, Sammy blows them away.
    "It's so damn hot... milk was a bad choice." --Ron Burgundy, Anchorman

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I just wanted to point out that the Ten Spot show was the first one for VH3. Those guys had never played before an audience together before. Keep that in mind.

I saw the 3 tour in the middle of the summer, and they put on a really good show. I didn't care for much of the new stuff that they played, but the old stuff all sounded pretty good. There weren't any production problems the night I saw them.

Both times I've seen Sammy post-VH there've been production problems. Back in '97 their cordless didn't work, and Sammy dropped his tail a couple of times during songs. Last year Mona got sick in the middle of the show, and Vic tried playing bass. Unfortunately, he only knows Led Zep songs. So Sam tried. Unfortunately, he didn't know any songs. They'd have been better off pulling someone out of the audience. Don't they have a bass tech?? Still a fun show, though.

Don't judge 3 by that first show. Judge them by that awful album and the vast majority of pretty good live shows they did.

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stuff No More:
    Sammy's a showman and puts on a hell of a concert.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did you finally catch a show, or are you just saying that? [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MikeL:
    I just wanted to point out that the Ten Spot show was the first one for VH3. Those guys had never played before an audience together before. Keep that in mind.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Actually I think the Ten Spot show was the 6th show they had done together Down Under. But your point is well taken.

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Close enough for government work. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I do have a bunch of boots from that tour, and while Ed's chops improve, his tone doesn't.

The best part of those shows for me is when Mikey sing SGMAD, and when Ed, and Mike trade back and forth in WCTBL, (thanks Sammy [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img])
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:34 PM
    Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts

Premium Member
    quote:
    Originally posted by Glenn:
    Actually I think the Ten Spot show was the 6th show they had done together Down Under. But your point is well taken.

If I remember right....

THey done 2 in new Zealand, then one in launceston, Tasmania (this is the show I saw) - these were kinda 'warm up shows' without the full lighting rig etc, which they started using once they hit mainland Australia. once there they did Melbourne first, then Sydney (which was the 10 spot show) before moving round the rest of the country.

Highlight of the show I went to (which was pretty good) was during the acoustic versin of 'josephina'... Before they started Gary said this is one of the 'first times we've done this live'.... During the song Ed forgot the words, stopped, cracked up laughing and said 'I forgot the fucking words man' before picking back up again [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
    A little zen....... Headed your way.......

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

hmm. sounds vaguely familiar. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Wonder where he got that line? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 03:59 PM
    Liked 555 Times in 251 Posts

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

AGAIN--poor mgmt!!
    dumb ass Danniels
    [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

I just remember hearing the "world premier" of the album with the interview and all that and then seeing their video and then seeing 10Spot in a room full of about 20 people that were not believing that the band on the screen use to be something special [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
    Eat Us and Smile!

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

FUCK
    Favorite VH Song

DREAMS
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

God, I remember hearing "Wait for the album" then when everyone decided that sucked it was "Wait until you see LATTS" I think Eddie even spent like a week mixing that audio or something like that. It was horrible. I could not believe it. Yes it was a poor decision to air this show but thats RD for ya [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
    Saw Sam on the MTM tour and he kicked major ass. That guy can sing, play guitar and party like a motherfucker. Saw him on the Red Voodoo tour too. Awsome. I know alot of people say Sam can't sell tickets anymore but that was only 2 yrs ago and he sold out Pine Knob-about 15,000.
    I actually think MTM blows VH3 right outta the water.

Al Hagar

Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire
    Last Online

08.27.15 @ 02:07 AM
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

Someone brought up a good point about Ed's "tone" on the 3 tour. My comment / question is:

"What was Ed's problem with 'Unchained'?"

I have 10 or so VH3 live shows and each time, Unchained sounds like it's either on an old 16rpm turntable or Ed has got arthritis or he's got 45lb. weights on his fingers!! That song should be rockin' and movin'...not slow and drag-ass! [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Does anyone else notice this??? It's almost sacrilege!! I'd rather hear Billy Sheehan sing back up vocals with EEAS band doing VH stuff [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] than hear Ed plod along on VH3's version of 'Unchained'!!!
    "Once the final BAN has been completed I will ban myself." -OLO, March 21, 2002
    "The price of the steak sandwich over there is ridiculous!!" -Glenn, March 3, 2003
    "Hang on, I'll go ask everybody and be right back." -seenbad, March 11, 2003