Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Good Enough
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Over the last few years, we poor VH fans have gotten the shaft, and we all know where we've taken that shaft. As much as I've tried to follow through everything we've heard during this time and figure out what's really gone down, I am still at a loss. Anyway, here's what I recall off-hand:

November 1999: Rumors leak that Gary is out. Within hours of hearing that, the band calmly posted that info on the official web-blight.

January 2000: Speculation begins that Dave is back and the band is working.

Early summer 2000: The NEW version of the official web-blight is advertised to open (was this on Dave's birthday or something?)

---Mike says the singer is a name we all know (obvious now that he meant Dave)

---Web-blight revealed, but no news is good news. [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img]

---Eddie's cancer story breaks.

July 2000: VH and Dave wrote 3 songs and ceased.

Fall 2000: Dave rumors still in high gear; neither side addresses the issue.

---we hear of Mike's new bass.

---Sammy, after some prodding, says that VH did 3 or 4 songs with Dave, and that he was OUT shortly thereafter. (also, some comment about back surgery ? )

January 2001: NAMM show-M.A. shows new bass, alludes to a fall release/tour. Still can't reveal singer's ID. Promises that the band will make announcements SOON. (ahem...)

---Ed has some new guitars at NAMM, but he shows up on videotape, mentions working on great stuff that needs to be 'road-tested' before it's produced. (maybe Ed has given Firestone a rubber formula that works??)

---Dweezil Zappa says Dave is back and that they have done about 6 songs thus far.

April 2001: Dave makes his statement on his website about 3 songs, and being positive for the future.

---band replies "rumors are rumors....we are working on next VH cd" on the official web-blight.

---Ed mentions his cancer situation.

---Valerie says Ed is healthy, ready to hit the road, but waiting for Dave to call?! She returns to acting.

Summer 2001: M.A. mentions that the band is taking the summer off. From WHAT we have no idea.

---Ed makes comments suggesting that they don't know what to do, but admits that the 3 song rumor was true. Also implies that they have no singer.

---ALLEGEDLY, Ed responds to an interviewer in a golf magazine that things were cool until the lawyers got involved.

---Dave goes on nostalgia tour without VH.

---Message board at official web-blight closed for repairs (like Wally World) for WEEKS instead of hours.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

So far, it seems that Dave's message in April about Ed's cancer was a lie. Mikey's comments have so far been untrue, with the exception of taking the summer off. Valerie doesn't seem to know what's going on. Ed doesn't seem to know what's going on. Alex apparently became a monk, with an oath of silence to boot. Sammy's remarks have been shown to be the most accurate, and he hasn't said a word in MONTHS(!).

All these things can be twisted into meaning that Dave IS back, that he is NOT back, that Sammy IS back, that Sammy is NOT back, that VH is going instrumental, that VH is retiring, that VH is just waiting, that VH is working with singer #4, that VH is working with singers #4,5,6,7,8,9,etc., and so on. Try as hard as I might, the few FACTS we have are essentially meaningless bits of information, and I can't dig through it all to find the truth. All I can guess is that if ANYONE has a clue as to what's going on, it's Sammy, and he's not talking about it. At least his info from way back seems to pan out rather accurately.

Anyone been able to make LOGICAL sense of any of this stuff? I would love to hear it. (Any worthwhile additions or corrections would be appreciated too [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img])
    Don't bark at me...<b>I</b> didn't name ya.

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

MCMLXXXIV
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is easy... they're done as in they're gone and just haven't realized it and/or announced it yet. Sad but TRUE.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

In a Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Unfortunately, if they don't stop playing mental mind fuck with everyone, they will be gone.....There'll just be a few people like us hangin around actually giving a shit as to whether Alex had prostate surgery and Ed got false teeth.

Favorite VH Album

The one with the :
    Favorite VH Song

high fast stuff.
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 02:09 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

My take on it:

The band figured they'd hit up David Lee.
    David Lee asked for the moon, the sun and the stars.

Edward, after having to deal with- Cherone leaving, hip replacement, cancer issues, wife, kid, Peavey, brother in neckbrace, probably finding new management, VH remasters, attempting to quit smoking, staying off the booze, thousands of ding dongs on the Pleasure Dump---said "Im going golfing, give me a call when you make up your minds."

Super Duper Frontman YankeeRose's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:55 PM
    Liked 197 Times in 123 Posts

Abe you forgot to mention about the rumours that David Coverdale had joined VH!

I remember that I had heard rumours that Coverdale had joined VH a few days before it was announced that Cherone had left the band!

It turned out not to be true though. [img]smilies/cry.gif[/img]
    Right Now you're reading my post!

I can't stand rap....people who can't sing do rap....you can sing rebellion as well as talk it....Hitler would have been in a rap band...

-- John Entwistle

2006 VHL Fantasy Hockey Champ!

Favorite VH Album

All!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

08.02.17 @ 01:12 PM
    Liked 11 Times in 2 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JAYMONSTER:
    Unfortunately, if they don't stop playing mental mind fuck with everyone, they will be gone.....There'll just be a few people like us hangin around actually giving a shit as to whether Alex had prostate surgery and Ed got false teeth.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hate to say it, but I think it's about like that now. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
    Over 17 years on the links!!
    ROLL DAMN TIDE!!
    First time I heard Unchained, I thought the lyrics were...."Blue-eyed mutha in a slashed white dress!"
    STAY FROSTY FRIENDS!

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

well i guess we better be stickin to the old saying;

" NO OFFICIAL NEWS = GOOD NEWS "

,and maybe in time we all going to see grumpy old man in wheelchairs on a stage trying to remember how to play them fuckin cords again. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

VH
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Excellent summary of the past 2 years ABE !

My comment on that one:

Back in late fall 1999 things where messed up in the VH camp.

- The reunion with Dave went wrong
    - The fanbase was/is frustrated
    - The new singers isnīt accepted
    - VHIII CD compared to VH standards is week
    - VHIII sold very bad (CD and tour)
    - The follow up album was 90% finished but
    - Singer #3 left therefore
    - No new CD, No singer, future uncertain
    - frustration in VH camp

They decided to inform the fans only about the fact that "soulmate" gary has left the band.
    "No news is good news" PR started....

Ed was hiding all this problems behind his health status (hip-replacement)

After that everything went wrong.
    Everytime they decided to go in one direction
    something "torpedoed"ītheir plans.
    Itīs obvious that
    a) ed, mike and dave donīt stand in close contact anymore
    b) there is no management to compensate this and to keep the public informed about VH
    c) VH is acting like amateurs

Sinner's Swing! 79th and Sunset's Avatar
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 12:35 PM
    Liked 16 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member
    With all the rumours and stories running around the Van Halen camp since the Cherone departure - its hard to imagine what has gone on and what will go on; if they go on.

It has gone past the point of embarrasment for the band. How long have we been hanging on waiting not only to hear some new music, but just to know that we will hear some music from the band (whoever that is anymore).

To go this long without telling their fans what their plans are , is just a shame. To me its not what has happened to the band in the last few years, it just that the band has not told us, really, anything.

NO NEWS IS NO NEWS !!

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:50 AM
    Liked 1,482 Times in 904 Posts

I've always believed that there was more to this than meets the eye. Now that Eddie mentioned 'lawyers' in his interview, it doesn't surprise me. Most folks have been blaming Eddie for all that has gone on because of his silence. Logical reason? Maybe he can't say anything specific because of the lawyers involved. Gag order? Possibly. Actually, IMO, I think Eddie doesn't want to get everyone's hopes up and then have the reunion on hold. I think he just wants to make sure everything is perfect before 'all systems go'.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com