Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I read on a website that Sammy wrote the lyrics to "Dont Tell Me" about Cobain killing himself. So I went back and listened to the song (which by the way is one of my favs) and it really sounds like he did write it about that. I have listened to that song countless times and had my own idea about the song but from now on it will have a different meaning every time I listen to it. Thats weird how you can play a song hundreds of times and then hear what it was truly about and it completely changes the way you look at it.

These are some intense lyrics:

its ok i'll do what i want if i choose i can take the fall its a choice its my destiny in my hands yeah its up to me

be the sacrifice bear the cross just like Jesus Christ

is it right to take the easy way close youre eyes get on youre knees and pray now youre saved by a higher voice givin up givin up givin up youre choice if i'm wrong then i'll pay for it if i'm right youre going to deal with it cause i've tried, i tried for it, i'll try i'll try even die for it

i've seen the damage done oh Lord i've heard the shotgun i fought the setting sun on my kingdom come oh dont tell me what love can do

I think its pretty damn cool how Sammy wrote this song about Cobain. The main riff of the song sets the mood perfectly.

------------------
    But they ain't here anymore, dont have to settle no God damn score, cause we all live under the reign of one king

[This message has been edited by RAFTER (edited August 06, 2000 at 08:53 PM).]

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

When I listen to that song, I don't think about Kurt Cobain at all. I'm aware that Sammy used Kurt as a writing inspiration, but I apply my own anger and feelings to the lyrics.

Last Online

12.03.17 @ 09:00 PM
    Liked 537 Times in 291 Posts

Premium Member
    I always liked that song regardless of Curt or whatever. But after I read that about Sammy, I pay more and more attention the lyrics every time I hear that song. Strange how that works. Out

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Many
    Last Online

05.12.06 @ 06:39 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Don't you mean Kurt Cocaine?

------------------
    Nick "I've been to the edge, MMMMThere I stood and looked down."

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it Later
    Last Online

01.07.12 @ 11:23 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My feelings on this subject are well known but this better suited for opinions.

------------------
    Right Now..... you need to Eat Us And Smile!!!

"A good friend of mine used to say, 'This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains.' Think about that for a while." Nuke LaLoosh

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it Later
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I moved it because: one, chances are great that this thread will turn into something having to do with religion, which is an opinion. And two, because it's a good subject and merits discussion quatilies, and opinions is the best place for threads like this.

The way you interpret the lyrics are an opinion. My opinion on it is, well, I'm short on time but I'm gonna get back on in an hour and I'll tell ya my opinion on the song and the lyrics (again, why I moved it to opinions). So, I'll be back in about an hour.

------------------

"A good friend of mine used to say, 'This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains.' Think about that for a while." Nuke LaLoosh

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it Later
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ok, here goes....

Because of songs Sam has wrote (Judgement Day, Mine All Mine, The Planets On Fire, Sympathy for the Human, parts of BOBW and Humans Being), it leads me to believe that Cobain wasn't the only thing he was writing about. I have no idea as to what Sam's religious beliefs are but as a Christian, when I see.....

"Be the Sacrifice.
    Bear the Cross,
    Just like Jesus Christ"

... I can honestly tell you that I'm offened. Because Sammy can't bear the cross just like Christ did. That's a fact. Sam may be trying to say something else but I don't see it. Moving on, and I'm going to do the this as best as I can.....

"Is it right,
    to take the easy way?
    Close your eyes,
    get on your knees and pray.
    Now your saved by the Higher voice.
    Giving up, giving up, giving up your choice."

.... I'll stop here and re-examine that statement.

Is it right,
    to take the easy way?

I can see that as being a rhetorical question to suicide. Is it right to take the easy way, and suicide is the easy way. I don't believe that suicide is taking the easy way but I guess if your REALLY trapped and you can't handle life, it could be but my point is, I see the Cobain connection. But as a Christian, when I look at that whole verse....

"Is it right,
    to take the easy way?
    Close your eyes,
    get on your knees and pray.
    Now your saved by the Higher voice.
    Giving up, giving up, giving up your choice.
    If I'm wrong,
    than I'll pay for it.
    If I'm right,
    yeah, your gonna hear about it."

.... When I look at....

Giving up, giving up, giving up your choice.
    If I'm wrong,
    than I'll pay for it.
    If I'm right,
    yeah, your gonna hear about it.

What I see there, as a Christian, is Sammy saying that (paraphasing) "If you get saved your giving up your choice, because if God is fake and I'm right than your not in any trouble. But if God is real and I'm wrong, well then I'm screwed cause I didn't get saved." (end paraphrasing) You see what I mean? I see Sammy saying that he's stickin with his choice that God is fake and when you look back at the first part, the "Is it right" part, it make sense. Both ways do make sense but I can't over look what I see and what I believe.

And that my friend is why this is in opinions and not Song and Albums. Cause this subject deals with more than VH is concerned. It deals with your beliefs and if you don't have any beliefs than I feel sorry for you. Everyone should believe in something... IMO.

I was finished but I have to say something else now, I had a friend of mine commit suicide and we didn't see eye to eye musically all the time but Something to Believe in was a song we both agreed on....... and after his death... the lyrics, man everything, it all comes together. And though I was a Christian before that, after listening to that, it made me want to make even more of a commitment to being a Christian. And if you don't have any beliefs, then I truly do feel sorry for you. Sorry for rambling on but, when I saw what I put before this paragraph, a lot of old things came into my mind and, now I don't even know why I'm still typing but I am. Ok, I think I'm through.

------------------

[This message has been edited by redfire (edited August 07, 2000 at 12:11 PM).]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it Later
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

There was a thread similar to this in VH 101 started by VH fan if Lizard Sings, I think, anyway, if you'd like to see it, you could go search it. It has a lot of stuff in it.

------------------

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What are youre feelings on this subject Redfire. I Havent been here long, I am interested to know?

And why move this to opinions? I was discussing a song. Not that i care but doesnt seem right.

------------------
    But they aint't here anymore, dont have to settle no God damn score, cause we all live under the reign of one king

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by redfire:
    "Be the Sacrifice.
    Bear the Cross,
    Just like Jesus Christ"

... I can honestly tell you that I'm offened. Because Sammy can't bear the cross just like Christ did. That's a fact. Sam may be trying to say something else but I don't see it.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's just symbolism. The Christ metaphor is one of the most powerful in our culture, just because it doesn't take a genius to grasp it. You see it in movies all the time, to the point that it seems cliche. Cool Hand Luke is a great example.

I think a lot of things get read into this songs lyrics. If you take it bit by bit, the words aren't worth much. To me the song describes an emotion. Despair is what comes to mind, mixed with anger and arrogance. It's one thing to say the names of those emotions, but they're much more difficult to describe in a way that leaves the listener understanding them. Sammy did a great job of that with this song.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it Later
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Here's the link to that page I was talking about.....
    http://216.10.25.192/vhlforum/Forum11/HTML/000030.html

------------------

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it Later
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MikeL:
    It's just symbolism. The Christ metaphor is one of the most powerful in our culture, just because it doesn't take a genius to grasp it. You see it in movies all the time, to the point that it seems cliche. Cool Hand Luke is a great example.

I think a lot of things get read into this songs lyrics. If you take it bit by bit, the words aren't worth much. To me the song describes an emotion. Despair is what comes to mind, mixed with anger and arrogance. It's one thing to say the names of those emotions, but they're much more difficult to describe in a way that leaves the listener understanding them. Sammy did a great job of that with this song.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey man, that's all well and good. And I know what you mean. But it's your opinion. Just like it's my opinion that "Sammy saying he can bear the Cross like Jesus Christ" is offensive. I don't care if it's symbolism, it's offensive to me. Cause NO ONE can bear mankinds sins except Jesus. But I think Sammy did a good job, I'm sure the song is REALLY good when your mad. It think it's pretty good, though I won't sing a large portion of it.

------------------

[This message has been edited by redfire (edited August 07, 2000 at 01:06 PM).]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 01:34 AM
    Liked 11,541 Times in 4,916 Posts

Unless of course your Jewish, and all references to Jesus Christ are COMPLETELY different.

------------------
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it Later
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Tou-che Brett.

------------------

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Actually, taking this down a religious path, Sammy's intentions behind the lyrics to Sympathy For the Human kind of shed light on religious references in general.

Sammy commented that in that song he felt he was commenting on the fact that, in his perspective, every religion tells you they're right and have the truth, but deep down there isn't much difference between religions and it's silly to see the rightness of one over the other.

It seems Sammy's religious references aren't really a religious commentary per se, but rather an extended metaphor that we can all understand, since the majority of the population of the US is Christian, and those that aren't know the details enough to get the concept of carrying a cross and what significance Jesus plays.

I don't think reading in too much to the lyrics serves the purpose the song intended. It's more of a commentary of what pain and anguish "love," or more likely a lack of it, will bring about.

------------------
    RIGHT NOW I'm livin' on the corner of Mean St. and Old Amsterdam Blvd.
    --------
    "Take your vitamin "T" with salt 'n lemon slice ..."
    UP FRONT FANATIC!