Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't know any of the members of Van Halen (past or present). I can only base my opinions on what I've read in legitimate interviews, David Lee Roth's book and Sammy Hagar's bootlegged unpublished book, so this is of course speculation. The reason behind Van Halen's lack of forward progress is due to Alex Van Halen.
    Here's why.
    David Lee Roth had (and probably has) no respect for Alex. Back in the early 80's, Roth fucked Alex's fiancee, Valerie. When Eddie Van Halen got wind of this, it was through a European tabloid which stated that Roth was screwing Valerie Van Halen. Eddie thought it was his Valerie - Valerie Bertinelli. Eddie confronted Roth in a bathroom backstage at one of their shows. This has been confirmed by many who witnessed the event. What has never been confirmed was how Eddie fucked up his wrist during that confrontation. Eddie either slipped on the wet tile and fucked his wrist up or took a swing at Roth and missed and hit the wall. However it happened, this was the beginning of the end of the mighty Van Halen.
    In Sammy Hagar's unpublished biography Sammy delves into very precise details of when Alex pushed for Ray Danniels to be their next manager after the death of Van Halen's longtime manager Ed Leffler. Sammy states that Alex may have even married Ray's sister to make the deal concrete. As we all know, Ray Danniels has been the kiss of death for Van Halen. Alex divorced Ray's sister shortly after their album, Van Halen III, failed miserably.
    Neither Sammy Hagar nor David Lee Roth have layed sole blame on Eddie Van Halen for the 1996 backstabbing of both former lead singers. Sammy believes Eddie was under tremendous pressure from his brother Alex and Danniels to fire Hagar. Which caused Eddie's lapse back into alcohol( i.e. the drunken Father's Day firing). Hagar has always maintained that he would like to work with EDDIE again. Roth believes it was Alex and Danniels who orchestrated the "Best of" backstabbing. Their intention was only to use Roth to bolster higher sales of the album, Alex and Danniels never intended on sticking with Roth for future endeavors. They already had Danniels' boy, Gary Cherone, lined up, ready to go. Roth has always maintained he would like to work with EDDIE again.
    Alex Van Halen is the one who does not want David Lee Roth in the band, not so much Eddie. Right before they walked out on stage together at the 1996 MTV awards Alex told Dave, "Suck it up Dave, one last time - for all its worth." What a viciously jealous thing to say to the one man who was directly responsible for your success. Not only did Dave provide a PA System early in the formation of Van Halen, But Dave's father provided his home as their rehearsal space. And anyone who's been in a band knows that those two things (a PA system and rehearsal space) are crucial in creating a solid foundation for a band to build upon.
    If Eddie Van Halen were to come out tomorrow and announce his union with his brother Alex was terminated, I guarantee you it would not be long before he would be working with David Lee Roth, Sammy Hagar, or both. Alex Van Halen has one thing going for him, his brother's (Eddie Van Halen) unwavering love. And because of this, Alex has managed to drive Van Halen right into the ground - taking advantage of his brother's love.
    If Alex were a man he would give Eddie his blessing to move on musically with out him for the time being. But Alex never will, he seems stubborn and pretentious enough to cut off his nose to spite his face. So we as fans are left with nothing. As Sammy and Dave gear up for their upcoming tour, where is the mighty Van Halen? And who is to blame?
    I took a voodoo ladder lookin' for a moonbeam<br />Yeah, ya spend a lifetime gettin' lost in the jetstream

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 12:16 PM
    Liked 1,083 Times in 725 Posts

Premium Member
    Interesting, but I don't buy that Eddie is blameless. Sure Danniels had alot to do with Dave and especially Sammy, but the bottom line is that it is Eddie's band and nothing happens re: lead singers that he doesn't have both hands in. As far as Alex goes, your way too generous with his contributions to the band other than drumming. If anyone's been MIA more that Eddie, it's been Alex.
    "I'm the opposite of Bill Cosby. Diamond Dave always gets your approval." (DLR)

"Kids, just say NO to marriage". (Al Bundy)

Rawhide in "A"

OAA

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

VH
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Good post JJay !

Alex input in the VH fiasco see´ms to be way underrated.

I´m not shure about the fact that Eddie was ever a kind of a band leader for VH. Yes, he had the most musical influence beside the lyrics but that´s all.
    To run a band proper you need much more than that !

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

hmmm...everybody wants some
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 08:37 PM
    Liked 967 Times in 387 Posts

like i've said a million times over. if the van halen brothers wanted to work with dave, they would have by now. the fact that mikey up and left to play music with sammy after all these years speaks volumes about the brothers right now imo.

JMJ
    "you can't change JMJ, it's legendary"- Brett Norton 9/24/07

"It's the "JMJ" everyone had grown to love, man! Time to blow the roof off this place!"
    -Zachenfoot 2/23/10

"The links just look a little better with JMJ. Always has, always will." -Hurricane Halen 2/24/10

"I'm doin' the victory dance. Told ya I'd be back. Tell me ya missed me. Say it like ya mean it" - Blood and Fire. =VH= 2012. Welcome back boys :headband:

"I don't give a flying fuck about Motley Crue. I give about a half a fuck about Rush. I like Van Halen and don't give a flying fuck how many tickets they all sell. Any questions?"- jimmyw

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Can\'t pick just one
    Last Online

08.20.08 @ 02:53 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

About the only person that I believe to be blameless is Michael Anthony. I'm quite certain he has his own take on all the things that have happened through the years and has formulated his own educated insiders opinion about certain things concerning Van Halen, but I would venture to say that his viewpoint is probably the most objective of all. But outside of him, everybody has at least a little piece of the pie as far as making mistakes and taking blame to include Van Halen's own Yoko Ono, Valerie.
    Jim Bailes

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

hmmm...everybody wants some
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 08:37 PM
    Liked 967 Times in 387 Posts

Originally posted by Dirtymovie:
    But outside of him, everybody has at least a little piece of the pie as far as making mistakes and taking blame to include Van Halen's own Yoko Ono, Valerie.
    dude, that's low man and you're gonna catch shit for that one. there was no need for that one

JMJ
    "you can't change JMJ, it's legendary"- Brett Norton 9/24/07

"It's the "JMJ" everyone had grown to love, man! Time to blow the roof off this place!"
    -Zachenfoot 2/23/10

"The links just look a little better with JMJ. Always has, always will." -Hurricane Halen 2/24/10

"I'm doin' the victory dance. Told ya I'd be back. Tell me ya missed me. Say it like ya mean it" - Blood and Fire. =VH= 2012. Welcome back boys :headband:

"I don't give a flying fuck about Motley Crue. I give about a half a fuck about Rush. I like Van Halen and don't give a flying fuck how many tickets they all sell. Any questions?"- jimmyw

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Remember the infamous couch interview with Alex and Eddie after the second split with Dave took place? You see how bitter Eddie is relaying the story about his confrontation with Dave at the MTV Awards? That's not a story that even involves Alex, it's strictly anger from Eddie to Dave. It doesn't seem to me, watching that interview, that Eddie still wanted to work with Dave, only to have Alex and Ray smearing Dave's good name by selling Eddie a bill of goods about an incident he wasn't personally present to witness.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Meanstreet
    Last Online

05.18.12 @ 09:24 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Make no mistake. Eddie did NOT want Dave in the band in '96. Like Glenn said in that interview it was painfully obvious that Eddie did not like Dave.

I'm sure Alex doesn't like Dave either, but I'm also sure that this isn't all his fault.

Also, the story about Dave screwing Alex's wife to be is a rumor. I wouldn't pass that off as a fact.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Now we know why Alex always wears those dark shades. We'd all see how shifty-eyed he was otherwise!

Interesting piece of speculation, but I don't know if all the blame can be laid on one person. I think it's just a massive example of people acting and saying things without thinking/talking it over. Foot-in-Mouth syndrome seems to get far worse before it ever gets better.
    "Just once I'd like to do the right thing and not get punished for it."