Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

hmmm...everybody wants some
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 10:42 PM
    Liked 983 Times in 396 Posts

someone at the army had a good question. are producers obligated to work with specific record labels?

supposedly templeman is no longer an employee of wb, as i believe i've heard that before. maybe that was also a part of van halen's reason to leave wb. possible that there's no producer who wants to take on a vh album, unless ted does it, being roth is back in the mix??

something to think about..

JMJ
    "you can't change JMJ, it's legendary"- Brett Norton 9/24/07

"It's the "JMJ" everyone had grown to love, man! Time to blow the roof off this place!"
    -Zachenfoot 2/23/10

"The links just look a little better with JMJ. Always has, always will." -Hurricane Halen 2/24/10

"I'm doin' the victory dance. Told ya I'd be back. Tell me ya missed me. Say it like ya mean it" - Blood and Fire. =VH= 2012. Welcome back boys :headband:

"I don't give a flying fuck about Motley Crue. I give about a half a fuck about Rush. I like Van Halen and don't give a flying fuck how many tickets they all sell. Any questions?"- jimmyw

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:18 PM
    Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts

Premium Member
    Originally posted by JMJ:

something to think about..

JMJ
    Something to speculate about I'd say

And so it goes to opinions/speculation...
    A little zen....... Headed your way.......

Unchained
    Last Online

01.28.16 @ 01:53 PM
    Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

I can't believe this topic hasn't drawn more interest. If Dave is in, you would think that both Ted Templeman as well as Don Landee might be broght on board, and with WB letting Ted go, this could make alot of sense, in that they wouldn't ok him to work on the project, or Ted might not want to support a WB project, even if it was a VH reunion. If it happens, those are the 2 guys I want turning the knobs. They have a pretty good track record working with VH, among others. Excellent post bro.
    John 3:16, Can You Dig It?

People, the 6 wings of the Mighty Van Halen will fly again! Can You Dig It?

You gotta give more than you take! Can You Dig it?

And underneath the arch, it turned into a march,
    and there He found a spark to set this fucker off!
    Set it off, set it off now children,set if off!

We are down the road! I Can Dig It! Can You?

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

02.20.07 @ 03:36 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I agree that it would be great if Ted and Donn were back to head the project. But I seriously doubt that Eddie and the boys would want to leave Warner because they couldn't get Ted as a producer. And I also seriously doubt that Warner would refuse Ted to produce a Van Halen reunion album.

I doubt Ted will be back. I even doubt that Dave is really back. I guess we'll see.
    "I had a girl beating on my hotel door all night...She was screaming, crying. Finally, I said, 'What the hell'...and I let her out!"- DLR

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I agree with Rikk. If Van Halen were all ready to go into the studio with David Lee Roth, and the only thing pending was who was going to produce, I can't imagine Warner Brothers standing in the way of Ted coming in. Not sure what the reasons were for Ted leaving WB, but it's a business, and if Ted is the last link to getting VH active again with Roth, WB would surely overlook any past difficulties with Ted.

And I can't imagine why Ted would let any label bullshit stand in the way of getting behind the console for what would surely be one of the most anticipated reunion albums in history.

And I think the days are long gone when producers were stuck to producing for a single label.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I agree, Glenn. No label would say, "Oh, well Ted doesn't work for our label anymore. I know you guys have Dave back, but if you want us to release the album, drop Ted or we're leaving." The problem goes a lot deeper than that.

And we may very well never find out!
    "I had a girl beating on my hotel door all night...She was screaming, crying. Finally, I said, 'What the hell'...and I let her out!"- DLR

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

well it just seems to me that wb has pissed off just about everyone in the vh camp. they pissed off ed with the sound of III. they canned roth and templeman. so call it a business if you want, but when ur life is music and wb says fuck you, ur not exactly gonna jump back on, vh reunion with roth or not.

it makes sense for them to jump wb's ship especially to get TT on board. it makes even more sense to jump wb's ship cuz the team who got them where they are now (daniels and engel) are all part of the wb contract. so if they leave wb, they don't have to deal with that shit anymore.
    besides, ed said he wanted to get that good ol brown sound back, what better way to do it with TT at the helm?

ed said lawyers were the sticking point before. doncha think it's a wee bit funny now that vh's lawyer got the boot and they're leaving wb?

my guess is they left to get this thing with roth going.

i don't see a 4th singer. i don't see sammy. and i don't see ed being sick. i see ed growing tired of all the bullshit that surrounded him and his band for the last 17 years or so. i also see the unfortunate incident of him battling cancer allowing him to see things more clearly in life.

he wants a new start, a clean slate..tabula rasa if you will.....

...ain't it funny how this all comes around?

JMJ

"It's the "JMJ" everyone had grown to love, man! Time to blow the roof off this place!"
    -Zachenfoot 2/23/10

"The links just look a little better with JMJ. Always has, always will." -Hurricane Halen 2/24/10

"I'm doin' the victory dance. Told ya I'd be back. Tell me ya missed me. Say it like ya mean it" - Blood and Fire. =VH= 2012. Welcome back boys :headband:

"I don't give a flying fuck about Motley Crue. I give about a half a fuck about Rush. I like Van Halen and don't give a flying fuck how many tickets they all sell. Any questions?"- jimmyw

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Originally posted by Glenn:

And I can't imagine why Ted would let any label bullshit stand in the way of getting behind the console for what would surely be one of the most anticipated reunion albums in history.

agreed glen. but it's not what ted wants, it what vh wants. if vh had a great management and steady lawyers, which obviously these days it seems like they don't, then TT jumping back on ship with wb ain't a big deal. but throw all that other shit into the mix and u have a problem.

JMJ

-Zachenfoot 2/23/10

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Originally posted by WARHEAD:
    I can't believe this topic hasn't drawn more interest. If Dave is in, you would think that both Ted Templeman as well as Don Landee might be broght on board, and with WB letting Ted go, this could make alot of sense, in that they wouldn't ok him to work on the project, or Ted might not want to support a WB project, even if it was a VH reunion.
    that's what i'm sayin man! dave wants back in the band but wb is iffy on signing him into vh as a member of wb cuz it may all fall apart and they only want him to have "x" amount of money so dave says fuck you......i'm gonna make a dvd while i wait....and more importantly, i'm gonna be quiet.

they want TT to produce, but WB pissed him off too.

and, ed, al and mike have gorwn tired of daniels and their lawyer. so, ed says fuck this. my guy mintz is our man. i'm trademarking everything, and fuck wb. there's way too much shit going on at wb for the reunion to go on there and i think wb could care less if they have a reunited van halen on their label or not.

ed took his business elsewhere and for good reason, I'm sure.

vh ain't done yet

JMJ

-Zachenfoot 2/23/10

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm not trying to shoot anyone or their hopes down. It just doesn't make any sense to me that WB and VH would part ways if a reunion was going to happen.

That INCLUDES a Sammy reunion; I think the split shows that a reunion with either Dave OR Sammy is basically out the window. It's just that nobody is suggesting that the split means Sammy is back. If anyone starts grasping at the Sammy straw, I'll give the same basic response.

Of course, with these guys, ANYTHING is possible. However, I just can't see WB letting go of a money-maker under any circumstances. If someone can explain to me how it could be good business for WB to let go of a reunited VH/Roth, I would love to hear it. It just doesn't make sense.
    Don't bark at me...<b>I</b> didn't name ya.

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 05:53 PM
    Liked 1,484 Times in 905 Posts

I'd welcome back Ted into the mix. The man got a great sound out of the band. The only other producer I would want would be Glen Ballard.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Favorite VH Album

balance
    Favorite VH Song

Finish What ya started
    Last Online

07.24.09 @ 01:50 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I disagree that the famed "brown sound" was a DLR era thing only...Ed talked about having that sound well after Sammy came on board...
    If you listen to 1984 and 5150 back to back, and compare the sound of the guitars...its pretty similar...
    I'm one Sammy fan here that thinks the Roth days were great...and I think most Sammy fans feel the same way...why is it that Roth only fans seem to despise Sam? I dont get it.......
    Heres to a new VH cd ...with Roth....or Sammy...
    Kev [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    keVH

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

VH
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

WB letting go of a money-maker.
    So actualy they got NO record company:
    There is zero chance that we will see a new VH CD coming out this spring !
    VH is done !
    [img]graemlins/sleep.gif[/img]

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I gotta agree with Abe. I want Dave back more than anyone. But I don't see all this as a promising start to a Dave reunion. I don't think anything much is happening. And for a lot of people, I think it's turned into wishful thinking.

Plus, I don't think Eddie has any interest in returning to his old sound. Hey, VH already reunited with Dave for two songs that WERE released, and those songs didn't sonically sound like old VH at all. Hey, I didn't mind. I love the sound of those two records. If there is a Dave reunion, and they sound like that, then I'm happy. ME WISE MAGIC is one of the best produced songs they ever had. That whole '95-'96 VH production sound was great! But even that sound seems history to Eddie.

As for the YEAR TO A DAY solo, you know, I hate to say it but...it's probably the only part of that song I can stand. I don't like the song at all. But the solo has a bit of a Jimmy Page feel to it. It's still too rough, but better than the rest of the song...which easily has the worst VH drum sound ever. Listen to it with headphones...absolutely no depth on the drums whatsoever...it sounds like the bass drum doesn't even have a microphone on it.

[ January 28, 2002 at 07:34 PM: Message edited by: Rikk ]</p>

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

At the time of 5150, WB had a clause in their contract with VH that allowed for them to refuse or accept producers. As a result, VH claimed Mick Jones as a "producer" for the record. Oddly enough, Mick was on tour for about 95% of the recording.

Sometime after that, (I don't know WHEN it happened exactly) the contract was changed to allow VH to choose any producer they wanted, or choose none at all.

Whether or not Warner wanted to change that back to the original agreement I have no idea. It also seems like such a minor detail anyway, so I doubt it would be of any great importance to the separation issue.

Further, if anyone thinks that a reunion guarantees a return to the old sound, they are misguided. Does Eddie play the same way he did back then? No. Does Alex? No. Does Mike? Does Mike even play on VH records anymore? Does Dave sound the same? No. What about the equipment? The entire studio has been redone to bear no resemblance to what they used in the old days. Eddie's rig has changed, and so have Mike's and Alex's. They wouldn't need a producer to pull off an authentic 'old sound'; they need a time machine.

Using Templeman would be of little consequence. He worked on F.U.C.K., specifically vocals and lyrics with Sammy. Considering the bashing Sammy's lyrics get here, do you guys think Ted would be such a strong influence at this point, or at least strong enough to make any appreciable difference? I doubt it. If we agree that Ed's ego has grown over the past decade or so, it's unlikely that he'd let ANY producer take much of an active role in anything they would work on. Just think of Mike Post-perhaps the biggest lackey/yes-man ever given credit as a producer.

If you read any interviews surrounding the making of VH3, you may have noticed Ed's general attitude toward the music business. If you didn't read that stuff, suffice it to say that Ed was growing increasingly frustrated with the business aspect of things. He even made jokes about why he's 'getting OUT of the business'. The biggest such joke was VH3 itself; I'm not saying the record was that bad artistically, but it was so commercially pathetic that I am inclined to think Eddie WANTED it to be anti-commercial. (perhaps an excuse to quit the business?) The LAST thing Eddie is going to do now is allow a 'producer' to come in and tamper with his 'art'.

Don't get me wrong here; I think the one thing Eddie needs desperately is some Nazi-esque producer to be man enough to tell him when an idea sucks, or when a song just isn't happening, or when a solo sucks monkey balls. (I don't care what ANYBODY says, the solo in Year to the Day was the most pitiful, apathetic piece of shit Eddie ever played. Of course, it was Mike Post who convinced him to keep it. The ONE time Post makes a decision, and THAT was his choice? gawd damn...) However, I don't think Eddie's ego would allow such a producer to come anywhere NEAR his studio, or anywhere near his music for that matter. Same goes for a record company executive.

While there ARE producers who only work for specific labels, generally producing is free-lance work. If a VH/Roth reunion was under way, and WB felt that it was a commercially viable project, then who is or is not producing would be of little concern to them.

I know this will sound pessimistic, but it seems to me like people are trying their best to rationalize the VH/WB schism to mean that Dave is back, and are grasping at straws. If this reunion was going on, there would be a TON of free promotion; news, radio, tv, internet, etc., all would be announcing the 'big news'. Eddie owns his studio. There is a 'guaranteed' market for such a reunion. The cost to WB to put out a VH w/Roth cd would be minimal. For WB, a company losing money left and right, ANYTHING that would turn a profit would be a good business move. Either WB feels that a reunion is simply not worth their backing, or there is no reunion.

WB turning their backs on a profit just doesn't make sense. It looks to me that the odds of a reunion are extremely slim.

Van Manilow, here we come...
    Don't bark at me...<b>I</b> didn't name ya.