Register
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Anybody ever noticed how almost none of your big time guitarists give Ed any respect. Most of them actually go out of their way to bash ole Ed.

Everytime I read an interview where a player is talking about his influences and shit they always make this little negative comment that is directed towards eddie. Like the other day i'm reading this old guitar world and Hammet is talking about what to do with your pick when your tapping. He goes through different things you can do (tap with your middle finger so you can keep the pick in your index) and then he goes "I've even seen one guy put it in his mouth but I wouldnt suggest that." Theres no need for all the smack.

Just kinda pisses me off...

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That happens to a lot of musicians. I think it's part of the "I'm better than you" mentality, that unfortunetly has been going on for awhile now. People's memories tend to be short, even to the facts of what Ed did to turn the music world on it's ear and give a well deserved kick n the ass.

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I never take it that seriously. Music is a lot like sports I think, in that there's probably a lot of competitiveness between bands since success is such a rare and fleeting thing.

Just the other day I was checking out Hardknockz and there's a Kip Winger interview there where he says the VH III lineup of Van Halen was "a joke". Now, many Van Halen fans might agree with that, but who is Kip Winger to be judging anybody? But so what, it's all good, a little dig here and there isn't going to knock anybody off their pedestal.

Then you've got the famous Billy Corgan interview of EVH in 1996. I guarantee that you couldn't find an interview with Billy prior to then where he mentioned Van Halen. It's just that at that point he was tired of the alternative label. While he was an alternative darling, there's no way he'd have admitted to being influenced by classic Van Halen.

It's all timing, and what image they're trying to develop.

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

05.24.08 @ 02:20 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

All ya have to do is read any interview with 'ol Dweezil Z. and he makes up for any ego imperfections on the part of the Hamster by worshipping the very ground Sir Edward walks on...
    I remember reading an interview with Kim Thayil from Soundgarden.I mean those guys were the kings of grunge and he said how he really admired Eddie and how he wasn't out to impress anybody.
    All he, (eddie that is),wanted to do was build some guitars and amps that he liked and have fun in his little studio, which was kind of the alternative philosophy anyway... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm not surprised Eddie wouldn't get any respect from a lot of the "modern" musicians for a number of reasons.

1. Eddie Clones. Think about all the questionably talented guitarists from the '80s hair bands that pasturized, homogonized, and distilled his sound until they had something very formulaic everyone could clone to score a cheap hit. Sure, Clapton and Hendrix may have inspired hacks as well, but they aren't as fresh in the collective memory of society.

2. Old Sucks. We've just been through a period in the '90s where being even slightly associated with the music of the '80s was a death warrant ("She's my cherry pie"... oh, wait, I digress [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]). It surely wouldn't sound "cool" to say you were influenced by THE influence of the '80s, now would it?

3. General Band Disrespect. We may be enlightened and know that Van Halen is one of the monumental bands in rock history, but to a lot of people they're a short footnote and a joke of one at that. And when you're the man most associated with the band some of that disdain and joke status will get rubbed off on you.

Probably, down the line when Van Halen is but a memory and their place in history is properly honored and secured, then you'll hear a lot more people cite Eddie as a major influence. Besides, how many artists are appreciated before they're dead?
    "Just once I'd like to do the right thing and not get punished for it."

On Fire
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If Hammet was indeed bashing Eddie than I would have to ask what has Hammet done aside from hide behind James Hetfield's chugging riffs and then once in a while come blazing out with that damn wah peddle. Now I like wah peddles, but is there one Hammet lead out there without a wah? And they always sound pretty much the same, probably because they always have the damn wah peddle.

I know what you mean though by Eddie getting bashed. I lost a bit of respect for U2 during the huge success of Actune Baby and hits huge tour, then Edge was proclaimed guitarist of the year by someone (can't remember who). I remember reading an interview with him (believe it was Guitar for Practising Musicion) where he said standing in front of a crowd for 15 minutes doesn't mean you are a good guitar player, and that it didn't impress him any. Now is pretty obvious who the reference is to there I think. Edge is great, no doubt about that, but with out all the effects he uses I suspect he would not be all that impressive, whereas Eddie with NO effects would drop the jaws of 20,000 people in front of him no matter how many minutes he was doing it.

Guess it really is in the fingers and not the Equipment if you compare these two. Both awsome, but 'sound' comes from different means.

Sorry, rambled off topic again.
    Life is something that happens when your planning something else.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

"Dance the Night Away"
    Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

It is nothing but jealousy. I think the best piece I have read was the collection put together from "The Inside." They collected responses from all guitar greats talking about Eddie and put it in to one feature. Considering the names below, I think he is quietly VERY Respected. Here are guitar players who called Eddie an innovative genius.

(Jeff Beck, Billy Gibbons, Steve Vai, Nuno Bettencourt, Yngwie Malmsteen, Richie Sambora,Joe Satriani, Richie Blackmore, Jimmy Page, David Gilmour, Tommy Shaw, Kim Thayil, Alex Lifeson,Warren DeMartini, Dweezil Zappa, Frank Zappa, Billy Sheehan, Les Claypool, Stevie Stevens and Slash.)

This is some pretty great company! If you couple that with all the people that ripped him off, used his techniques, or used his custom made equipment, you would be left with very few guitar players. What a hypocrite Kirk Hammet is. Who uses double hand tapping and the whammy bar more then he does? He is Eddie is sheeps clothing!

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 10:19 AM
    Liked 527 Times in 242 Posts

Jealousy is the reason.

The "real" musicians appreciate him, while the "wannabes" ridicule him.

But without him, there wouldn't be "any others"

[img]smilies/devil.gif[/img]
    'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.