Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VH Singers

On Fire
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Who was the best? Gary, hands down. Why, after reading the recent interviews HE is the one who had the fans at heart. He chose a set list to please everyone, fans of all era's, you wouldn't see Dave or Sammy do that, ego's too big.

Reunion? Will be a failure. Why? Simple, geezer rock has a limited market. Music has also changed, as cheesy as it is Ricy Martin/Britany Spears type music is what is hot, nobody cares about guitar anymore. Good, bad? Depends if you are one to benefit from sales etc.

The CD it'self will be the actual failure, it won't stand much of a chance competing with the boy bands of today, it will pay for it'self, but I predict sales of 500,000 to 1,500,000 copies sold. Motley Crues was a failure, not cause they suck, but because they already had their time just as Van Halen did, fortunately Sammy extended it by 11 years for them.

Talent wise Sammy Hagar was by far the best fit for Van Halen, and clearly the best singer, and at least he didn't forget the words, is only funny for so long. DLR reminds me of the guy in high school who never grew up, the guy who lives his life reliving the glory days of the high school football team he played on and that fatal pass he missed while sucking on another days whiskey bottle...please, the guy is stuck in the 80's and can't adapt to today, which is why Van Halen with DLR today will fail. In fact, if DLR didn't leave 1984 would have been the last sucessful album Van Halen would have had and would be playing in a club near you today.

New album with DLR in 2001...so what, I won't rush out to buy it, am not so desperate to relive my youth, or try to rediscover it...I will probably download it off Napster though, but certainly won't pay for it.

A DLR reunion will also be only about money which is just another way for Eddie to fuck the fans which he has done consistantly since 1996. There is no other reason to have DLR back other than money pure and simple. Don't be excited, your getting shafted again even if it is DLR.

Personally I hope for singer #4 or Sammy, anything else is bubble gum crap, Britany with electric guitars...all for money and retirement accounts.

Not a good way for Van Halen to go out and retire.

Spare us all Eddie and Dave, release abos set and be gone, the Geezer's have left the building!

Last Online

01.15.07 @ 05:34 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Is the quality of music to be judged by
    record sales? I think the above post is
    pretty dead on. However, I think a band like
    VH continues because of the music and the fans. I doubt that the new cd will be bought
    by many of todays youth. Buyers will most likely be long time hardcore fans. It'll sell a little over a million which will smooth things over at Warners. As for a big tour, I don't know. I do know that VH has
    rabid fans that wouldn't miss it for anything in the world, but how many seats is
    that really going to sell? Let's face it, bands of this type are not in the limelight
    anymore. Brittany Spears soldout her show here in a couple of hours, KISS' farwell tour
    was a good 1000 seats shy of being sold out.
    I hope there is a new cd, I hope it sells well and that a tour is soon to follow. I just doubt that even with Dave it's gonna be
    like it was in '83. Hell I just don't know about Dave. He's looking kind of sad, unhealthy and old. Basically I just want to
    hear what Ed play. I don't give a damn about the singer.

Favorite VH Album

The one with the :
    Favorite VH Song

high fast stuff.
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 03:05 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Nice rant, Dennis Miller

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I want Dave back in the band.

For me, that isn't a statement against Sammy or Gary, it's just how I feel. Am I trying to relive my youth? No, I was only 13 when I got into the band in 1984, and I never saw them with Dave, so my desire to see/hear DLR/VH in 2001 has nothing to do with trying to relive past glories.

I guess I want to be naive, but I'm too old to keep believing in Santa Claus. I'd like the reunion to be based on a mutual respect, love, and admiration between the guys, but that's probably a naive expectation. It's all about the music for me. If it's good, I'm not going to ignore it because Dave and Eddie don't get along, or because I think they're doing it for the money. And if the music sucks, it isn't going to mean a damn thing to find out that Dave and Eddie have become best buddies.

Hell, Eddie was terribly upset with the VH situation when they made Fair Warning, but that doesn't stop me from enjoying that album.

I'm selfish, all I care about is how the music sounds to me. Album sales, concert ticket sales, contract negotiations etc are irrelevant to me. I just want to hear the music and judge that on its own.

------------------
    The Michael Jordan of Van Halen websites!!!
    www.vhlinks.com

Last Online

12.03.17 @ 09:00 PM
    Liked 537 Times in 291 Posts

Premium Member
    Well IMO, Sammy has the most talet by far. His voice is second to none. With that being said, Dave is by far the greatest front man in rock of all time. When those guys are on, there was no better rock band EVER. Even today listening to boots, or watching old vid's, the original 4 still gets me all fired up. Still love the Sammy years, but will always say that the OG version of VH is the greatest rock band EVER. Just my opinion. Out

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 02:04 AM
    Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts

Premium Member
    Moving this to opinons, where personal rants like this should live. If I was that negitive about the future of VH I doubt I'd be anywhere near this board however

------------------
    A little zen... Headed your way...

Last Online

12.15.17 @ 11:33 AM
    Liked 1,026 Times in 501 Posts

Hey Zadian,

You're in Ogdensburg, huh? My wife is from Massena - we pass thru on 37 twice a year when we drive up from Virginia to visit her family. Nice area up there...

BTW I think you are full of shit about Dave and Van Halen, but hey, that's your opinion. I respect all three singers, but I think your comments about Dave are uncalled for. I suppose you are one of those who speculate about how all of the clasic songs with Dave would have sounded if only Sammy had been around to sing them. Sorry chief, there's only one original, like it or not...

Hey, at least you got me going again - I haven;t posted a single thing about Van Halen in I don't know how long!

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

VH singers--who's the best? I can find great stuff with all three, but I think Gary had the most potential...at least to take VH into new territory.
    A reunion will be both success and failure. Success--big money, happy fans, and most likely great music (because VH never disappoints, imo).
    But how true can it be? Knock me silly if I'm wrong cause I don't see this thing happening for very long, and that's what's really too bad about it.
    I'd rather see VH please themselves, with or without Dave. I'm sure there are many other lead guys or gals that could make great music with VH. They just need to be given the chance.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dave was the ultimate showman, no doubt about that. I also like Sammy for his guitar playing in concert. A different singer really changes the band's focus.(my opinion)

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Right Now
    Last Online

05.18.09 @ 11:19 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

If the Ultimate Showman, the Diamond One, reunited with Van Halen and went on a tour (what is this with this 'if?' ), the show would be 30 times better than any modern show. Some say Dave hasn't matured, still is like a little kid--hey, that's good for stage, I would think--everlasting energy would put out one helluva show.

If indeed it's "geezer rock," then it's gonna be some damn good "geezer rock."

JWS's donation of $0.02 to the Opinion Fund...

------------------
    Right Now, it's safe to add one (1) to my post count.
    Right Now, strange is beautiful.
    Right Now, I'm a Dirty Faced Kid.
    Right Now, Van Halen needs to HURRY UP AND SAY SOMETHING.
    Right Now, I must be going.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JWS_5150:
    If the Ultimate Showman, the Diamond One, reunited with Van Halen and went on a tour (what is this with this 'if?' ), the show would be 30 times better than any modern show. Some say Dave hasn't matured, still is like a little kid--hey, that's good for stage, I would think--everlasting energy would put out one helluva show.

If indeed it's "geezer rock," then it's gonna be some damn good "geezer rock."

JWS's donation of $0.02 to the Opinion Fund...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll go for that...Amen.

There's only one way to rock again and that is with DLR right in front off the damn stearing wheel.

See Yaa

Diamond Mafia

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Zadian... how did you ever end up so bitter? I feel for you, man.

------------------
    Fall in line, say the word...
    VHLinks Forum Moderator (Opinions)
    Up Front Fanatics!

On Fire
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Stuff no More...hmmm, I don't think I am bitter, I am rather perturbed and like many of you sick of the 'no news is good news'. I suppose too when the time does come in as Glenn says the month of 'eventually' there will be an explanation to explain all. I mean they have to know how anxious the fans are and the most plausible theory out there for this to me is legal issues with Ray Danials. However I look at things in a realaity type of way. Rock is dead, everyone knows that, hell even country is dead for that matter. Music is in a very confused time right now and I don't think Van Halen is gonna revive it with any singer, it is just the reality of the situation. A younger bolder band is gonna do that, look what Creed has acomplished (which I still think would be the perfect opening band for a possible tour, they are INCREDIBLE in concert).

You know, I saw VH on the Balance tour in Ottawa Canada, was second time, saw the right here right now tour as well. After the balance show a friend who couldn't go asked how it was, I said to him 'Sammy is history' I shit you not, I couldn't believe what I was saying actually, of course he asked why and my reasoning was that it was a very cold show, there wasn't much interaction, and with the big screen it was just so produced, like be at the X at such a time for the purple light or the show goes to hell. It was just a weird show, good, but weird, not very relaxed.

Long winded here I know, even lost my point if you can't tell.

I just don't feel that in today's scene a reunion, or #4 will be all that successful, with Dave it will = money for touring purposes. Record sales, with Dave they will be more weather it is a good cd or sucks. #4 will definately put them in theatres for a tour, but not quite clubs.

Personally I don't really care anymore, new music from them with any singer is fine with me, even instrumental will be just fine. But, if they are back with Dave just for money please spare me, I want an honest cd with honest music that contains what they believe in and I don't care who sings that, to me it would be far better than a cash in with Dave.

The music created with Dave in the past is second to none, and will always be good. But hey, every band progresses and grows up, this they did with Sammy, Sammy allowed that, and contributed to that hapening which kept Van Halen on the map for so long. I don't think Dave could have done that, but we'll never know that, even a reunion couldn't answer that.

Hopefully I am a little more clear now, or just a little more confusing.

BTW, I don't live in Ogdensburg, just a little north of that, a true Canadian. Played hockey there though...*lol* Americans hate losing to Canadian teams, the game was called in the second period.

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Zadian:
    I suppose too when the time does come in as Glenn says the month of 'eventually' there will be an explanation to explain all. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>First of all, I'm putting a patent on the month of "Eventually".

But seriously, I'll be very eager to see whether they ever fully explain the events of the last couple of years. Even though they are going to be bombarded with the question, it seems to me that it will be a sore spot, and one they'll try to avoid.

------------------
    The Michael Jordan of Van Halen websites!!!
    www.vhlinks.com

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 08:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Zadian:
    Who was the best? Gary, hands down. Why, after reading the recent interviews HE is the one who had the fans at heart. He chose a set list to please everyone, fans of all era's, you wouldn't see Dave or Sammy do that, ego's too big.

That may make Gary a decent Christian human being, but it certainly does NOT make him the best singer for Van Halen.

Reunion? Will be a failure. Why? Simple, geezer rock has a limited market. Music has also changed, as cheesy as it is Ricy Martin/Britany Spears type music is what is hot, nobody cares about guitar anymore. Good, bad? Depends if you are one to benefit from sales etc.

Obviously, you have no sense of musical history. At the end of every decade music seems to stagnate into some some boring shitty existence, for example in the 70's it was disco, the 80's it was New Kids on the Block, Tiffany and hair bands. But as the new decade begins, something comes along that blows the crap off the air and replaces it. In the early 80's Van Halen did just that (they got a head start in 78 & 79) and in the 1990's the Seattle bands cleaned away the residuals of late 80's crap.

The boy-bands, Ricky Martin, Britney, etc. are riding 15 minutes of fame and right now their clocks are at 14:45. By next year at this time, they will be but a painful memory, with or without a Van HALEN reunion. But I would much rather it was with

The CD it'self will be the actual failure, it won't stand much of a chance competing with the boy bands of today, it will pay for it'self, but I predict sales of 500,000 to 1,500,000 copies sold.

Bullshit. Best Of Vol I had only TWO new Van HALEN songs and it sold 2.5 million copies. A new Van HALEN album would easily double that if not more. Let's not forget that the last full album this band made together has sold over 10 million copies.

Motley Crues was a failure, not cause they suck, but because they already had their time just as Van Halen did,

No Comparison. Motley Crue made a few decent songs in their time, but you don't hear Motley Crue songs played on rock radio every day, 15 - 20 years after their release. You DO hear Van HALEN. VH is a classic band that ranks with the Beatles, Stones, Zeppelin, and the Who. Motley Crue is just one of the better LA hair bands who wanted to be Van Halen.

fortunately Sammy extended it by 11 years for them.

Talent wise Sammy Hagar was by far the best fit for Van Halen, and clearly the best singer, and at least he didn't forget the words, is only funny for so long.

It's not a question of Dave's talent vs Sammy's talent. It's what they did with their talent. Dave helped to create timeless classic rock n roll. Sammy allowed the band to become a cheese factory.

DLR reminds me of the guy in high school who never grew up, the guy who lives his life reliving the glory days of the high school football team he played on and that fatal pass he missed while sucking on another days whiskey bottle...please, the guy is stuck in the 80's and can't adapt to today, which is why Van Halen with DLR today will fail.

Ok, that little paragraph proves that you hate DLR, but it fails to make any case for why Van HALEN's reunion would fail. Stuck in the 80's??? And what would you expect the new Van HALEN album to sound like? N Suck or the Backdoor Boys?? It's going to sound like Van Fucking HALEN obviously. I suppose you thought "Me Wise Magic" sounded like the 80's?

In fact, if DLR didn't leave 1984 would have been the last sucessful album Van Halen would have had and would be playing in a club near you today.

And what the fuck would you base that entirely ridiculous statement on? Dave continued to be successful into the 90's as did Van Hagar. Together, they only would have been more successful.

New album with DLR in 2001...so what, I won't rush out to buy it, am not so desperate to relive my youth, or try to rediscover it...I will probably download it off Napster though, but certainly won't pay for it.

So you paid for VD III, the biggest piece of shit to ever come out of a studio, but you wouldn't pay for the first Van HALEN album in 16 years? whatever

A DLR reunion will also be only about money which is just another way for Eddie to fuck the fans which he has done consistantly since 1996.

No, this reunion is the first time Eddie is not fucking the fans since 1996. A reunion of the Mighty Van HALEN is what the fans wanted in 1996 and ever since. Even a majority of Hagar fans, knowing that Sammy has no interest in the group, are now looking forward to the real thing. Only the rabid sheep who still believe everything Eddie said about Dave and Sammy would be opposed to this. I hesitate to put you in this group because you DO recognize the fact that Eddie said "fuck the fans" in 96.

There is no other reason to have DLR back other than money pure and simple. Don't be excited, your getting shafted again even if it is DLR.

I don't think so. I think the whole idea here is that Eddie & Alex know their days in rock n roll are numbered, due to their physical condition. Eddie might even be thinking in more serious terms after a cancer scare. They know how far they have fallen in the last 15 years, especially the last 5. They want Van HALEN to go out on top, as would most of the fans. I'm sorry to say that I don't see a long life for this band anymore, but I see NO life for them without DLR.

Personally I hope for singer #4 or Sammy, anything else is bubble gum crap, Britany with electric guitars...all for money and retirement accounts.

Singer #3 was a failure, Singer #4 would be a bigger disaster. Sammy isn't interested and what if he was? Cheese ballads in 2001?? Yeah, that would work. I would much rather hear a good old fashioned Van Fucking HALEN album, and that is exactly what I'm expecting. Are they going to make money off of it? Of course. But unlike the boybands, Britney, and VDIII, it will be a quality product.

Not a good way for Van Halen to go out and retire.

WHAT?? Would you prefer they released an album that was even lamer than VDIII and play a tour of empty arenas?? I'm sure you know that NOT ONE venue on the VDIII tour was sold out. Touring with a 4th singer, they would be lucky to get those same venues booked.

Spare us all Eddie and Dave, release abos set and be gone, the Geezer's have left the building!

About 7 months from now, when Van HALEN is kicking ass every night in sold out stadiums with their album high on the charts, you're going to look like even more of an idiot than you do right now.

------------------
    F.O.R.D. Country
    EUAS 2001 : The Wrath of Roth

Van HALEN is: Dave, Eddie, Mikey, Alex. Any questions?

preaching the gospel of the one true Van HALEN for the redemption of a rock n roll world that's gone
    to boy band Hell.