Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
    Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

09.24.13 @ 11:04 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I bought Dave's book "Crazy From the Heat" on Friday and finished it yesterday - I couldn't put it down. For those of you who haven't read it, I recommend it highly; if not for the info, then just for the fact it reads just like Dave talks. Very entertaining, although, Dave does like to ramble here and there.

In any event, I am a pretty philosphical person by nature, and have come up with an opinion of my own on this whole VanHalen relationship. Understand, however, this is from reading the book (one sided) and of course not getting any info from the VH side, except of course of what has been made public e.g. interviews, 1996 MTV awards etc.

This relationship is(was) a marriage in every aspect of their career. As with any marriage, it takes all parties to make it work, and in time, ideas and opinions on how this marriage should work change, evolve, whatever you want to call it.

In the beginning, VH were a couple of boys with a gift for playing music; not just music, but great music - true, very gifted and talented musicians who needed to share the gift with the world. However, they needed something (or in this case, someone) who could match the talents of their music with a voice.

Here comes Mr. P.R. himself, David Lee. He comes along with his outgoing, non-stop-charismatic personality, talented voice, "show-man" and gets them noticed - not because Dave's more talented than Ed or Alex or Michael (no one is more talented than the other), but because Dave was the voice that said "HEY EVERYONE, CHECK US OUT!!".

Now you have three very talented musicians (Michael too), and a sexy, explosive, in-your-face, entertaining (also talented) front man, and everything comes together. When these four boys performed together, everyone stopped in their tracks and listened - they were noticed, boy were they noticed - and in many cases, idolized.

Each member brought something to the table - all talented in their own special way; Michael for his back-up vocals and bass playing, Alex for his ingenious way of giving it a beat, Dave for his P.R. and voice, and Eddie for his ground breaking guitar playing. Each one, talented in their own right, and each one knew where their talents layed. Let me repeat, EACH ONE...individually, and then collectively.

Flash forward twenty years.

All those years, they did what they were best at. Then all of a sudden, screetching halt.......

"Wait a minute, you can't do that, I want to do that!" or "Hey, this isn't what I wanted to do, that's what I want to do."

I have this picture in my head, three children fighting for the swing in the playground while the one kid who is sitting on that swing is getting pulled back and forth, back and forth, back and forth....

Summary? The realization of who and what they had become got in the way of what they did best. I think that sums it up perfectly. If you take Dave out of this scenario and put Sammy in, same story.

Each individual has to get off their "high horse", acknowledge, accept and embrace what each individual brings to the table and let the talent flow. Then, and only then, will we, the fans hear the talented grace of what we have come to known as one of the most respected and talented rock-n-roll band of all times, Van Halen.

There's more to making a marriage work than just the love - or in this case the music...that's the easy part.

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ed mentioned the breakup...I forget which one...was like a divorce......possibly the Sammy break up.....because the band was promoting VH3.....

I'm glad you read the WHOLE book

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

10.22.16 @ 01:11 PM
    Liked 54 Times in 33 Posts

Premium Member
    When Ed was here in 98, he did a TV interview and said getting back with Dave in 96 'was like meeting your ex-wife.. ya have a laugh, its fun for 10 minutes then you remember why you got divorced in the 1st place'

heh. Will they grow old together?

A little zen... Headed your way...

Imperial Fascist Overlord Down In Flames's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Just as long as they keep producing "kids" (albums), you know?