Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm curious to know what everyone would think if VH decided to go the route of Priest and hire a DLR sound-alike. Obviously, Ralph would be a logical choice. I have mixed emotions about it. Although I'm sure I'd be there. Would you guys support it?
    "I forgot the f#cking words..."

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, and 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Outta love again, Humans Being
    Last Online

12.14.12 @ 08:13 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'd support it....Who wouldn't want to see the classic VH played with someone who sounds like Roth did 20 years ago. (I'm talking about Ralph of course.) Shit...anything is better than nothing right now.
    If you shake my hand better count your fingers - Mustaine

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I think it would be an insult to Ralph to ask him to step into the band under the circumstances that are being dealt with here. Basically, you're saying to him right off the bat, "look, we really don't want you, we want David Lee Roth, but with you we get that without the ego that goes with it"! That's just wrong.

Anybody, including Ralph, who is obviously a talented rock singer, who joins Van Halen needs to be wanted for their unique ability to be themselves, not their ability to mimic the previous singer.

Regardless, for me, without Sammy or Dave singing, the band name Van Halen has to be retired.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

02.29.12 @ 05:55 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think it would be cool live, but as far as putting out a cd, it just would'nt work. Dave brought alot more than just his voice to the table as far as VH is concerned.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

little guitars
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well, sort of the same thing is working for Journey. Why not?

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Glenn:
    Regardless, for me, without Sammy or Dave singing, the band name Van Halen has to be retired.
    I don't understand that. Why shouldn't have VH retired the name when Sammy joined?

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Originally posted by a.f.u.:
    I don't understand that. Why shouldn't have VH retired the name when Sammy joined?
    It's entirely possible that they should have. But the fact remains that they didn't, and that is the past.

Even VH can't change (and obviously wouldn't anyway) the name decision from 1985-86, but they have an opportunity right now to look at their history and define what Van Halen is when (more likely IF) their next project comes out.

I accept the Sammy albums as Van Halen albums, and I even accept the Gary album as a Van Halen album. I'm not the type to go running around making up false names for each incarnation of the band, because ultimately it is just a title on the front cover of the record; the music will stand or fall in each individuals ears no matter what it's labelled as.

But I just think that without one of the two guys who helped the band have so much success, it really is time to put the Van Halen name in the past. They don't HAVE to, I'll still buy the next project anyway, it's just what I think they should do. I realize that the logic of that is somewhat circular, but "I said that's life (that's life), that's what all the people say..."

I should say, though, that I believe that even with a new singer, they will NOT drop the Van Halen name.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

08.10.15 @ 12:03 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I would have no problem with it. Im sure the same could be said for most fans.
    I have been saying this for the last 3 years.

It will never happen though, Eddie does not want to be known as a nostalgic act......

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

These kinds of things seem destined to fail from the start. Yeah, Judas Priest did it, but Judas Priest hasn't exactly been topping the charts or even registering on the social consciousness level for HOW many years? I'd rather that Van Halen try even the slightest bit to go the route that gets them industry respect. There is absolutely no reason why, with a few good (or bad, depending on your perspective) decisions they can't see a semi-resurgance of interest in the band of the like Bon Jovi has seen their past two albums.
    "Just once I'd like to do the right thing and not get punished for it."

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Glenn:

But I just think that without one of the two guys who helped the band have so much success, it really is time to put the Van Halen name in the past. They don't HAVE to, I'll still buy the next project anyway, it's just what I think they should do. I realize that the logic of that is somewhat circular, but "I said that's life (that's life), that's what all the people say..."

I should say, though, that I believe that even with a new singer, they will NOT drop the Van Halen name.
    Probably not...and I see why. Not just because it is their name, but because you still have the core musical base intact. The three guys who play instruments are really the guys that make the music. Of course Sam and Dave added some melody and helped in the "look at me, we should be successful" department, but the foundation and the seeds of ideas were jammed out before ever introducing them to the singers.
    I can even understand if Mike left if they wanted to change the name, because the music would be different without his style of playing. Singers always seem to have the least amount of talent really and shouldn't be placed so high on the totem pole. Unfortunately, society seems to mostly notice them.
    But back on topic, I competely agree with you about Ralph. He's very talented at what he does, and if VH wanted him I would hope it would be for his own unique talent and not the Dave schtick. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

The reality of it is we're living in an age and time when (as much as they pan the '80s for being all about it) image is king. Videos love to have that marketable character to push as the symbolic representation of the band. Most videos you see will have the singer appear actually singing the words on camera sometime in the video, whereas often the rest of the musicians in the band can be totally suppressed and never appear playing their instruments at all (for whatever reason).

You start associating a band with a single member, and next thing you know you have people making comments like, "Van Halen isn't Van Halen without Dave. They should have changed the name!"

Take a band like Chicago, for example. For over a decade they got along just fine as a group where the logo was supposed to be better known than the people in the band. Music videos come along and the directors start pushing Peter Cetera, his chosen direction for the band becomes the dominant force, and next thing you know he's ready to leave the group and continue on solo.
    "Just once I'd like to do the right thing and not get punished for it."

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 07:37 PM
    Liked 527 Times in 242 Posts

If VH got Ralph to sing for them, would Dave then come out of the closet like Halford did?

Seriously I'd have to agree with Glenn about it being an insult to Ralph. Its fine to be an imposter in a cover/tribute band, but if given the chance to be IN the band, he should just be himself.
    But if it ever did happen, I'm sure they'd want Ralph to be open about also singing Sammy and Gary music as well.

If they let Ralph be himself, I'm sure he'd jump at the chance of a lifetime, who wouldn't. And I'd bet that when he did get up on stage and it was time to play the Dave era stuff he would still do it like he always has with the PUNKS. Old habits would be hard to break and why make him change his style, Dave has had his guitarists try to match Ed's playing since he tried his solo career.
    'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hit the ground runnin'
    Last Online

06.03.10 @ 11:18 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by Eddymon:
    Seriously I'd have to agree with Glenn about it being an insult to Ralph. Its fine to be an imposter in a cover/tribute band, but if given the chance to be IN the band, he should just be himself.
    Ralph is himself when you see The Punks live. He sings Dave perfectly, but when Ralph talks between songs he does not imitate Dave. He does his own thing. In fact, right off the bat he tells the audience that they are not impersonating VH. They are just paying tribute to the best band of all time, which is Classic Van Halen. Ralph has his own persona and a hell of a nice guy. I think that Ralph is a great singer and he could fit in well in VH. The problem is that the audience and fans probably wouldn't take him seriously in that lineup.

P.S. Eddymon, I understand that you are a huge Sam era fan and I respect that [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] . However the Dave is a fag jokes are getting old. [img]graemlins/sleep.gif[/img]
    EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

"Please don't take my teddy bear... Please!!!" - diamondsgirl's Oscar nominated dramatic scene for best actress of 2007

"and by Van Halen, I mean David Lee Roth" - diamondsgirl on Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 01:00 PM
    Liked 11,591 Times in 4,941 Posts

I would be very happy for Ralph, because he's a super-nice guy and one hell of a singer. If you guys heard him do other stuff (like that one LA Guns EP he did) besides the DLR thing you'd be impressed. He's stellar.

I think it would be an insult to Ralph as well to have to come in just to be DLR basically. If they actually wanted him for HIS talent and voice, that's different. But that wouldn't be the case. And like Max said, he probably would not be taken seriously in VH sadly.

I highly doubt you will ever see VH go this route, because frankly the fans won't go for it. They didn't with Gary, and they certainly won't for Ralph.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

strung out....
    Last Online

02.28.14 @ 07:54 PM