Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Good Enough
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Considering the ages of the bulk of fans (as opposed to the band), here's a theory:

VH either announcing their retirement OR a farewell cd/tour is going to end an era of the fans' lives: the era during which we could always count on looking forward to the next release. When it becomes CERTAIN that it isn't going to be the case, a lot of fans are going to feel OLD. In particular, the VH message board crowd who have struggled and suffered these past few years.

I would predict a sudden onset of the mid-life crisis for many of us. That leads to some peculiar behaviors, to say the least. It especially seems to affect mindsets about life in general. While there are other bands out there still going strong, few, if any, have impacted us like VH. The last vestiges of our more care-free youth will have finally slipped away.

Even though many of us have been suspecting that it's over, or even going to be over, to hear the actual words from an official source would still be a shock.

And if it IS the next thing we hear, what a lousy way to go out: month after month of silence and speculation is gonna leave a bitter taste in many a mouth.

What will the results be? An increase in Nick at Nite viewership? Camaro sales through the roof? Legos anyone?

Will you listen to VH more or less as a result? Will hearing them remind you more of the 'good old days', or will hearing them remind you of these last few years? If it's the last few years, that would just suck.

This stuff is all the more reason for the band to try and go out with a massive BANG!! But it doesn't seem to me like it's gonna happen.

Bummer. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

*ok...mope mode off*
    Don't bark at me...<b>I</b> didn't name ya.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:22 AM
    Liked 1,348 Times in 925 Posts

Some of us got used to it in the years following 1985. For all I cared, until that morning in 1996 when I heard Sammy was gone and they might be working with DLR, Van Halen was dead to me, just as the Eagles had been after 1980 and KISS was - well, probably when Ace left and then when the makeup came off. So if they say it's over now, I'm pretty much used to it. The only difference is back in 1985 I had a bunch of other groups I liked, these days that's dwindled (just look at my responses in the '90s band thread). But on the bright side, I still have, what, 6 more albums I can buy (and will once I find out which ones will be remastered) plus hopefully a box set with a bunch of cleaned up DLR demos. I'd still like them to find a good recording of a concert between '78 and '85 that they can clean up and release commercially, too, but hey, you can't have everything!

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

If they put out a release tomorrow saying they were done, I'd be mighty disappointed. I don't think I'd be sad, but there'd be some anger involved. All of my worst thoughts about the band would be confirmed.

I want a CD, followed by a tour. Toss out some live stuff after that, and then finally a box set of rarities. That'd be a good way to go out.

Will I go through some sort of personal crisis? Too early to tell, but I don't suppose so. The world won't end--it just won't be quite as much fun.

Last Online

09.04.17 @ 05:32 AM
    Liked 62 Times in 32 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MikeL:
    The world won't end--it just won't be quite as much fun.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't fret Mike, I'll be here to keep you intellectually entertained. Think of the fun. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/scared.gif[/img]
    "Gully, watch yourself. I am dead serious." - Brett Norton, Emperor of VHLinks.com

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Van Gully:

Don't fret Mike, I'll be here to keep you intellectually entertained. Think of the fun. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/scared.gif[/img]
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

Well, there would certainly be no end to the entertainment HERE! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
    Don't bark at me...<b>I</b> didn't name ya.

Last Online

01.24.08 @ 09:30 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

The end? [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] Did I miss something? You're starting to sound like Jim Morrison ("My only friend, the end")!

Dude, let's not give up the ghost just yet! If strange old Michael Jackson can put out a new CD this fall -- something like ten years after his last one -- then of course VH can bring it all together again, no matter how long it's been.
    [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

On Fire
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The End? I highly doubt it, and I know many are against this, but I can see VH attempting a #4 before they throw in the towel. And even if it is true (rumours of past) that Eddie is no longer interested in the band, that won't last long. Howmany years has he been playing? Is in his blood, and just watch the video's, the guy loves to play. There is more likely a reason that nobody has even come close to guessing for all the bullshit, and it probably is not health, most likely something that is out of left field. I think at this point it is either going to Sammy, or it will be #4, either case is fine with me. But retirement? No, can't see it, what musician REALLY retires? Didn't Rod Stewart retire a few years ago? Didn't he release an new CD not to long ago? I dunno, just my thought, I just can't see them not wanting to play anymore, those guys loved being on stage!
    Life is something that happens when your planning something else.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 03:59 PM
    Liked 555 Times in 251 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Zadian:
    , but I can see VH attempting a #4 before they throw in the towel.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

you need glasses
    Eat Us and Smile!