Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Eruption
    Light industrial complex on Eastern Seaboard
    Last Online

06.08.07 @ 12:27 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i've often wondered about this...

no offense to the sammy-lovers (of which i proudly count myself), but IMO an honest appraisal of him would say:

he's an average to slightly above-average writer.
    he's an average (at best) guitarist.
    he's an above-average to sometimes-excellent singer.
    most of his work is mediocre, with a large portion of it being pure rat shit.

so why do so many people dig this guy? why the fuck is he so popular?

i think sammy is popular for three big reasons:

one, he's like the "everyman" of hard rock (kind of like bob seeger in that sense.) common, regular people identify with him. they say to themselves, "hey! that guy is like me. he writes/sings about shit i can relate to" like cars, babes, love, relationships, patriotism, partying, sex, etc.

two, his tone is dinstinctly positive. in his own words, sammy said he tends to move toward the light rather than the darkness. i for one appreiate a positive slant, especially in this day and age.

three, he's fairly humble (for a rock star) and just a lot of fun! seriously, i think you have to work at not liking this guy. he's like the fringe uncle or hip older brother we wish we all had. somebody that lived an out-of-the-ordinary life that we kind of all want but are afraid to chase. a guy who beat the odds and made it, and plenty of it!

anyway, let me know your thoughts. i'm particularly interested in the san antonians' and the st. louisans' answers as you people seem to get Sammy more than the rest.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

06.22.15 @ 03:18 PM
    Liked 12 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

I think you hit it right on the head.

He's a very special "nothing special" type of cat.

I can't really put it into words myself. Maybe that's why I always take a lot of abuse for being a "redhead....." [img]graemlins/cry.gif[/img]

You either get it or you don't ......
    not another dime from me, fellas...

tinzen

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning or 1984 by mood
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

07.19.13 @ 08:52 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well hell, DooDoo, here's a li'l yin for your yang from a CVH fanatic.

Ya gotta admit Sammy's got a good ear for melody, catchy hooks, and economical song structure. The dude at least knows the changes, and I really think that made a major contribution to Van Halen's continued viability throught the late '80's and early '90's. I tend to think of his compositional simplicity as more of an asset, so I don't know if I'd agree that he's a mediocre song writer.

His vocal register may be in that generic Dio-begat-Johnson-begat-Halford pitch, but dollars to donuts and soup to nuts, that feller's still GOT it in his pipes.

He also stepped into a task many would argue was impossible, and he may very well have been the only man who could've pulled it off.

He's evidently got a sister out here in the SoCal desert who sells shoes, so he actually calls in to thank our rock station for playing his solo stuff from time to time. My rock Program Director says he's a peach. Maybe that whole down-to-earth thang does play a big role...

[ June 14, 2002, 02:11 PM: Message edited by: The SLAWTERHOUSE Bug ]
    Classic Van Halen. In Pace Requiescant.

"...sure I'm on zoloft. That's so I don't hafta kill none o' y'all..." - Mike Tyson

and by the way...

Eat Us And Smile.

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by willyum:
    I think you hit it right on the head.

He's a very special "nothing special" type of cat.

I can't really put it into words myself. Maybe that's why I always take a lot of abuse for being a "redhead....." [img]graemlins/cry.gif[/img]

You either get it or you don't ......
    that's true. it's kind of like a Grateful Dead or Allman Bros scene in that sense. i'm definitely a red head and enjoy being with similar people, no matter what shape, age, etc.

(incidentally, i never did get the Dead. i despise all of their music, categorically.

but i'm a slow learner. took me a solid ten years to get Pink Floyd )

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by The SLAWTERHOUSE Bug:
    Well hell, DooDoo, here's a li'l yin for your yang from a CVH fanatic.

Ya gotta admit Sammy's got a good ear for melody, catchy hooks, and economical song structure. The dude at least knows the changes, and I really think that made a major contribution to Van Halen's continued viability throught the late '80's and early '90's. I tend to think of his compositional simplicity as more of an asset, so I don't know if I'd agree that he's a mediocre song writer.

His vocal register may be in that generic Dio-begat-Johnson-begat-Halford pitch, but dollars to donuts and soup to nuts, that feller's still GOT it in his pipes.

He also stepped into a task many would argue was impossible, and he may very well have been the only man who could've pulled it off.

He's evidently got a sister out here in the SoCal desert who sells shoes, so he actually calls in to thank our rock station for playing his solo stuff from time to time. My rock Program Director says he's a peach. Maybe that whole down-to-earth thang does play a big role...
    you made some great points, bug.

i never considered his simplistic songwriting an asset. but it's an interesting thought and i agree with it. perhaps i am underestimating his abilities after all. i just know he's produced at least ten pieces of shit for every one worthy song. but maybe that's the price?

as far as him still having the pipes, you get nothing but whole-hearted agreement from me. as a card carrying member of AARP, he's a true enigma. i once heard that, upon death, sambo's vocal cords are to be sent to NASA to be studied to determine the source of their nigh indestructibility for potential space/military applications. kevlar has met it's match

yes, i do think he's figured out the connection between actually treating people like human beings, and sales. it's a simple formula, and it works. right now, he can put out even modestly enjoyable music and bank on 500,000 copies being sold hands down.

too bad vh can't connect the dots... but that's another post.

Banned!
    Last Online

02.18.11 @ 08:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

agreed, but i think that sammy writes shit lyrics cause he knows that sells. listen to balance, he managed to get in a little deeper there, and imho, i think he can write good stuff if pressed for it.

but this is a business, they have fun at it, but if they ain't rakin' in the dough, the show ain't goin' on the road.

love the point about his vocal chords, what is sammy now? 60 or almost?

[ June 15, 2002, 02:07 AM: Message edited by: lil'devil ]

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Fools
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by lil'devil:
    what is sammy now? 60 or almost?
    USA Today Interview With Sam And Dave

Ain't talking 'bout love here. Duets? Forget it. Roth, 46, and Hagar, 54, go to their respective corners nightly, each with his own band, set list and grudges. ...

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 09:42 AM
    Liked 1,345 Times in 922 Posts

I don't remember Sammy being too much of a big deal until "I Can't Drive 55" put him on the map - I mean, we'd heard of him before that, but he was just one of those artists that were out there putting out records that no one knew anything about. Then he had "55" and [v]VOA[/b], then I think came the project with Schon, which Schon still had a name then so that got talked about. Then of course came Van Halen and guaranteed sustained popularity, at least while he was in the band. I think he's lost some of that since he's left Van Halen, but I can't say it's due to him leaving Van Halen or do to the shift in musical focus that has relegated all but the stoutest classic bands to the back burner behind all the non consequental bands of today. I do think he's found a niche for himself with his Cabo Wabo and his Waboritas, so he should be all right until he decides he's had enough.

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 10:17 AM
    Liked 1,472 Times in 899 Posts

Some reason for Sam's popularity:

1.) Makes sure the audience has a great time
    2.) 'Fun' sounding music
    3.) Good voice
    4.) He's honest
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

5150,Balance,VH I
    Favorite VH Song

Poundcake,Best Of Both Worlds (live)
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have to say Hagar is my favorite performer in the world.He has a great voice and writes really good,catchy songs.I agree with what you said about how he seems like "everyguy" and he is really fan oriented.Plus he shoots from the hip.Yeah he may contradict himself once in awhile but hey....we all do.

Favorite VH Album

Balance, WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, Romeo Delight,
    Last Online

02.05.15 @ 12:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Sam is everyman.

And, maybe more importantly, Sam obviously loves what he is doing and that is easily translated to the audience. I remember seeing Sammy pre-Van Halen at the Texxas Jam in 1983 (I seem to remember either Sammy or Nugent or both at EVERY Texxas Jam - another post) and he just had a ball. When he was in Van Halen, it looked like they had the most fun any band could have. Sammy is just a great guy (or seems so from a distance) and people respond to that.
    "There is a fine line between stupid and clever" - Nigel Tufnel

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

06.08.09 @ 04:15 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think it's because as he gets older he looks more and more like Burle Ives. We all know how the kids like Burle Ives.

Rudolph, the red nosed reindeer...

Nice, soft, and totally nonthreatening.
    thatartguy@dlrarmy.com<br /><br />I brought my pencil!!!

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

VAN HALEN I
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

question: Reason for Sammy's popularity?

answer: because he was the 2nd lead singer for VH [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The statements below are facts and are indisputable!!

Van Halen sold 37.7 million units.
    Van Hagar sold 20.5 million units.

Van Halen I and 1984 combined to sell almost as many units as ALL of Van Hagar's albums COMBINED!!

--------------------------------------------------

Sorry if this is off the topic but the statement above is very misleading. The numbers may be true (I however have not looked them up) but it just goes to show how people can use numbers to show what they want.

The fact is that many of the Dave era albums were bought multiple times by the same people. For example since all of these albums origionally came out on vinyl they may have become scratched, worn or whatever over time. So many of these albums were bought multiple times just to replace the first one people bought. Not only that but many people also bought the vinyl, and maybe 8-trac or cassette for car listening. Even after all of that I would be willing to bet most of the people on this list who bought these albums on vinyl also bought them on CD since the CD was the next great way to release music.

It is likely that many people bought 2,3 or more copies of the same album for the Dave era. Not to mention that many fans during the Sammy tenure bought copies of earlier VH albums for curiosity reasons.

Now I am not saying that some of this did not also happen for the Sammy era albums as I am sure it did, but there is no way it was to the same extent. So by trying to claim one era did better then the other by using albums sales as you only basis is silly (now you may not have come out and said that is what you are trying to claim but it is obvious that is what you are doing).

If you want facts here are some facts:

The only #1 during the Dave era was a single song.
    And to think it was a song with a heavy keyboard vibe.

Where during the Sammy era every studio album went to #1.

Why can't people just get it through there head that the first two incarnations of VH were great in there own way and time. If you have to try and put down one era to make the other look better then you aren't doing justice to either era. That is my opinion!

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

VAN HALEN I
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Walz:
    The statements below are facts and are indisputable!!

Van Halen sold 37.7 million units.
    Van Hagar sold 20.5 million units.

Van Halen I and 1984 combined to sell almost as many units as ALL of Van Hagar's albums COMBINED!!

--------------------------------------------------

Sorry if this is off the topic but the statement above is very misleading. The numbers may be true (I however have not looked them up) but it just goes to show how people can use numbers to show what they want.

The fact is that many of the Dave era albums were bought multiple times by the same people. For example since all of these albums origionally came out on vinyl they may have become scratched, worn or whatever over time. So many of these albums were bought multiple times just to replace the first one people bought. Not only that but many people also bought the vinyl, and maybe 8-trac or cassette for car listening. Even after all of that I would be willing to bet most of the people on this list who bought these albums on vinyl also bought them on CD since the CD was the next great way to release music.

It is likely that many people bought 2,3 or more copies of the same album for the Dave era. Not to mention that many fans during the Sammy tenure bought copies of earlier VH albums for curiosity reasons.

Now I am not saying that some of this did not also happen for the Sammy era albums as I am sure it did, but there is no way it was to the same extent. So by trying to claim one era did better then the other by using albums sales as you only basis is silly (now you may not have come out and said that is what you are trying to claim but it is obvious that is what you are doing).

If you want facts here are some facts:

The only #1 during the Dave era was a single song.
    And to think it was a song with a heavy keyboard vibe.

Where during the Sammy era every studio album went to #1.

Why can't people just get it through there head that the first two incarnations of VH were great in there own way and time. If you have to try and put down one era to make the other look better then you aren't doing justice to either era. That is my opinion!
    i am honored that your 1st post is a critique of my post. [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img]

i hear ya loud and clear

lastly, how may copies do ya think of 5150 were sold because of 1984's success? [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

btw, tell an artist that sales don't matter