Thread: Women in Love

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

As Is
    Last Online

05.25.17 @ 07:52 PM
    Liked 190 Times in 83 Posts

I am listening to "Women in Love" as I write this for inspiration. Many people on this board don't understand the magic that was VH with Roth. The song I mention is a perfect example. Man what a great deep cut. VH was NEVER about Dave's voice! What they had was an exploxive, albeit frictioned, relationship which lead to great ROCK music. Dave's voice was the foreground, but it was Michael Anthony's and Eddie's great harmonies that put the icing on the cake on most of the great songs. There are many bands I love on record, but that are not as good vocally on stage. The RHCP would be an example. Tony K. is just fair live. And man did you guys listen to the new GNR? Holy shit! Axl sounded like total crap. You have to remenber, guys like Roth need the benefits of technology to sharpen up their sound a bit. Van Roth is renowened for the stage act. That is not just me talking, it is the opinion of many. It wasn't for his voice, however. The guy had charisma and in the 80s he was, in the eyes of many, the coolest lead singer around. If you can, download some old video footage of live performances of songs like Unchained and you will understand what it was all about. You can find clips on van-halen.com or entire videos on kazaa. That being said, however, the problem with Roth now is that he is not the physical specimen he was at 28. But at 46 he still kicks more ass than the new singers of the day who have never moved on stage in the first place. Sorry, they jerk their heads up and down. Oh, almost forgot, Sammy has a great Jimmy Buffet stage act. I guess to some of you, that is "better" than Roth being himself? Give me a break! What do you want? A guy who cranks out awesome Rock 'N Roll songs or someone who can belt out a great version of "Eagles Fly" live? [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img]
    What are your major influences?

"Our major influences are my cock, Schlitz Malt Liquor, fast cars, loud music, volume. You know, all the usual."

DLR-1977

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

So this is love?
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by edvanheineken:
    I am listening to "Women in Love" as I write this for inspiration. Many people on this board don't understand the magic that was VH with Roth. The song I mention is a perfect example. Man what a great deep cut. VH was NEVER about Dave's voice! What they had was an exploxive, albeit frictioned, relationship which lead to great ROCK music. Dave's voice was the foreground, but it was Michael Anthony's and Eddie's great harmonies that put the icing on the cake on most of the great songs. There are many bands I love on record, but that are not as good vocally on stage. The RHCP would be an example. Tony K. is just fair live. And man did you guys listen to the new GNR? Holy shit! Axl sounded like total crap. You have to remenber, guys like Roth need the benefits of technology to sharpen up their sound a bit. Van Roth is renowened for the stage act. That is not just me talking, it is the opinion of many. It wasn't for his voice, however. The guy had charisma and in the 80s he was, in the eyes of many, the coolest lead singer around. If you can, download some old video footage of live performances of songs like Unchained and you will understand what it was all about. You can find clips on van-halen.com or entire videos on kazaa. That being said, however, the problem with Roth now is that he is not the physical specimen he was at 28. But at 46 he still kicks more ass than the new singers of the day who have never moved on stage in the first place. Sorry, they jerk their heads up and down. Oh, almost forgot, Sammy has a great Jimmy Buffet stage act. I guess to some of you, that is "better" than Roth being himself? Give me a break! What do you want? A guy who cranks out awesome Rock 'N Roll songs or someone who can belt out a great version of "Eagles Fly" live? [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img]
    Amen to that!!! I would most definitely rather see a guy that can crank out great rock n' roll tunes. If I want to go see a guy that sings really well but the songs arent up to par, then I will go see the three tenors in concert. Everyone is critical of dave doing VH tunes. That is what i wanted to hear, that is why i went to the show. it may be as close as I get to hearing VH live.
    Lets Hope VH gets some Sensible Shoes that lead them back to Dave.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars/Unchained (tie)
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The only problem with all this is that you guys are failing to realize that it's been over 20 years since "Women in Love" was written. Times have changed, musical trends, tastes, and styles have changed, and Van Halen has certainly changed. These guys are no longer the 20-something year-old, hungry, pissed-off kids who wrote that great, "classic" stuff, they've pretty much all become jaded old burned-out rock stars with overblown egos who seem to have lost much if not all of the desire that fueled the creative machine that recorded those first six records.

Hey, I'd love nothing more than to be magically transported back in time to the early 80's, it was a great time to be alive and a great time for rock 'n' roll, but if you actually believe that just adding Dave back into the mix is suddenly going to make that happen, and that whatever record they could come up with would realistically hold a candle to stuff like VHI, II, Fair Warning, etc., you're just plain fooling yourselves. I'm sure they'd come up with a good record, but trust me, the chemistry that made the original band such a legendary rock 'n' roll force just isn't there anymore, and it's not going to come back. An "original" lineup reunion would be about one thing, and one thing ONLY... MONEY. We'd get a decent record, and one tour, and that would be IT... period, end of story. If you're expecting the second coming of "Fair Warning", I'm sorry, but you're just delusional. Like I said, I'd love to go back, too... it just ain't gonna happen, accept it and move on, already.

Like it or not, Sammy would fit in much better with where Ed's head is these days and would stand a much better chance of producing a more viable, multi-record/tour result.

Personally, I'd just like to see Eddie drop the paranoid bitterness act and start making music again, and I'd happily accept either a one-shot reunion with Roth or a more ambitious Hagar reunion at this point just to get to see these guys play in person again, I'm just not naive enough to expect VHII revisited out of either option.

It's just a crying shame that these guys have become so caught up in their own celebrity that they've forgotten how great they all used to be at making MUSIC.

SBS
    What, me, worry?

Super Duper Frontman YankeeRose's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:55 PM
    Liked 197 Times in 123 Posts

That song SUCKS!!!!! What a waste of CD space. The only good part of that song is the intro. What is it about anyway dykes?
    Right Now you're reading my post!

I can't stand rap....people who can't sing do rap....you can sing rebellion as well as talk it....Hitler would have been in a rap band...

-- John Entwistle

2006 VHL Fantasy Hockey Champ!

Sinner's Swing! 79th and Sunset's Avatar
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 12:35 PM
    Liked 16 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member
    Originally posted by YankeeRose:
    That song SUCKS!!!!! What a waste of CD space. The only good part of that song is the intro. What is it about anyway dykes?
    It is about a guy who loses his gal to another gal. Nothing wrong with a little girl-girl action now.

The intro is some of Eddies' finest work !! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

[ August 31, 2002, 07:35 PM: Message edited by: 79th and Sunset ]

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

11.16.05 @ 07:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i find it hilarious that the diehard Roth or nobody fans point to "Eagles Fly" and laugh...Roth did his share of stinkers too, or don't you remember "Big Bad Bill?" I remember when it was played on the radio, you could almost hear the entire country let out a belly laugh, the song was so bad... If you think about it, most singers have songs that mean something to them, and enjoy performing them. There are those out there that do like Eagles Fly. I personally don't care much for the song, but, oh well. I went to the appearance in SA for the tour, and both performances were stunning. Hagar puts on a great show every time I see him, and I was very pleasantly surprised when Roth did not live down to the reputation for suckiness that the internet mavens had warned us all of. Dave simply was kickin' the whole 90 minutes. Dave gave the show of his life in SA, and if you want to compare the two, I'd have to say that Sammy had the better show. But damn...Roth WAS the stage presence that he had been in his VH years. On the other hand, though...I don't like to compare the two. They are two different people with different styles.

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

As Is
    Last Online

Originally posted by jschneider:
    i find it hilarious that the diehard Roth or nobody fans point to "Eagles Fly" and laugh....
    Listen, If you are emplying I'm nobody, then you are a little less than that! Simply put, you had nothing intelligent to say and you are obviously a "Sammy's bitch". Better yet, a half-wit! For one, I have three Van Hagar albums. I own F.U.C.K, 5150 and Balance. There are good songs on those albums. This is an opinion forum you moron. If you don't like what I said, respond at a somewhat intellectual level. No need to call people nobody. You are obviously a nobody like the rest of us if you are reading these posts. I never said Roth's shit doesn't stink. Did I? So cool your panties and say something worth reading! [img]graemlins/irked.gif[/img] As far as transporting back in time as suggest by another user, I don't know what the right move is for VH. I never intended to suggest that a Van Roth is the answer. There may not be a good solution. VH's brand of rock is probably no longer commercially viable. A great deal of updating would have to be done. A successful comeback could happen though. Just today I looked at the chart positions on RS and the "Boss" is #1 and Def Lep. was #10. I don't know that Roth could do it. They would have to try it for us to be able to tell. As far as Hagar, who knows. What is fact is that as much as Hagar rips on Dave's current solo status, his albums are not flying off the shelves either. If they were, and he did not need Roth to "1/2" fill arenas, I don't think he would have done this tour. Contrary to his "I'm doing Roth a favor" shit, he has enjoyed a semi-successful tour that on his own would not have happened. He would have been playing 2000 seat clubs. And to be honest, I am sure Roth would have had the same fate.

"Our major influences are my cock, Schlitz Malt Liquor, fast cars, loud music, volume. You know, all the usual."

DLR-1977

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

02.29.12 @ 05:55 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by jschneider:
    i find it hilarious that the diehard Roth or nobody fans point to "Eagles Fly" and laugh...Roth did his share of stinkers too, or don't you remember "Big Bad Bill?" I remember when it was played on the radio, you could almost hear the entire country let out a belly laugh, the song was so bad... If you think about it, most singers have songs that mean something to them, and enjoy performing them. There are those out there that do like Eagles Fly. I personally don't care much for the song, but, oh well. I went to the appearance in SA for the tour, and both performances were stunning. Hagar puts on a great show every time I see him, and I was very pleasantly surprised when Roth did not live down to the reputation for suckiness that the internet mavens had warned us all of. Dave simply was kickin' the whole 90 minutes. Dave gave the show of his life in SA, and if you want to compare the two, I'd have to say that Sammy had the better show. But damn...Roth WAS the stage presence that he had been in his VH years. On the other hand, though...I don't like to compare the two. They are two different people with different styles.
    They didn't even write it. The song is supposed to be comical you retard.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Can\'t pick just one...
    Favorite VH Song

Every VH song is a tutorial on rhythm guitar!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Davejab: I'm sure JSchneider is well aware that VH didn't write "Big Bad Bill" and that they didn't intend it to be taken seriously. His point was that a lot of people accuse Sammy of writing weak songs, yet Dave wrote/recorded his share of duds with Van Halen as well. That is a vaild point.

EdVanHeineken: There, there, Princess. Just get into some warm jammies and go to bed early tonight. Everything will be OK in the morning.

SirBrownSound: Bravo! Bravo! Well written!

It is important to remember: A) There wasn't enough "magic" between Roth and EVH to keep Roth from quitting the band. B) "Me Wise Magic" and "Can't Get This Stuff No More" were not on par with the first six Roth albums. C) Don't get caught up in the B.S. that goes on between Roth, Hagar, and the rest of Van Halen. They've released a lot of great music! Enjoy!

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

As Is
    Last Online

Originally posted by TyndellE:
    [QB]

EdVanHeineken: There, there, Princess. Just get into some warm jammies and go to bed early tonight. Everything will be OK in the morning.

QB]
    The only little princess here is the vagina in your pants! I love dickless a-holes who are the bravest SOBs behind their keyboards! I'm sorry if I insulted one of your butt lovers and you had to come to his defense!
    [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

DLR-1977

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

As Is
    Last Online

Oh! I almost forgot Tyndelle.(or whatever the hell your dumb id is) Don't forget to change your tampax when you get up this morning!

DLR-1977

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Oh! I almost forgot Tyndelle.(or whatever the hell your dumb id is) Don't forget to change your tampax when you get up this morning!
    Dude, far be it from me to intrude on your little verbal interlude, but a word of advice...

In the future, if you're going to concoct a retort that actually takes two posts to complete, do at least attempt to make sure it's actually funny.

'preciate it...

SBS
    What, me, worry?

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

As Is
    Last Online

Originally posted by SirBrownSound:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by edvanheineken:
    Dude, far be it from me to intrude on your little verbal interlude, but a word of advice...

In the future, if you're going to concoct a retort that actually takes two posts to complete, do at least attempt to make sure it's actually funny.

'preciate it...

"DUDE:"

Sorry! I should have taken notes on how to be funny from your [img]graemlins/sleep.gif[/img] sleeper of a response above. No problem "Mr. Funny Dude." I'll pay closer attention to the master of puppets next time!
    SBS
    </font>[/QUOTE]

DLR-1977

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by edvanheineken:
    "Sorry! I should have taken notes on how to be funny from your [img]graemlins/sleep.gif[/img] sleeper of a response above. No problem "Mr. Funny Dude." I'll pay closer attention to the master of puppets next time!"

Actually, unlike you, I wasn't striving and failing for funny there. That was actually a heartfelt plea on your behalf to try and help you sound a tad less lame in the future. Silly me, I can see now that's far too ambitious a project for just one person!

So just forget I said anything and please, do carry on, Pee-Wee...

Your pal,

SBS
    What, me, worry?

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

As Is
    Last Online

[quote]Originally posted by SirBrownSound:
    "Sorry! I should have taken notes on how to be funny from your [img]graemlins/sleep.gif[/img] sleeper of a response above. No problem "Mr. Funny Dude." I'll pay closer attention to the master of puppets next time!"

Actually, unlike you, I wasn't striving and failing for funny there. That was actually a heartfelt plea on your behalf to try and help you sound a tad less lame in the future. Silly me, I can see now that's far too ambitious a project for just one person!

So just forget I said anything and please, do carry on, Pee-Wee...

Your pal,

SBS
    I sent SBC a private message stating that this is stupid and gonne to far. He must not have noticed that I simply posted an "opinion" and was attacked as a "nobody" first. I guess if you fire back on these boards, you're the bad guy! Furthermore, did I ever forward a resume as a comedian? Not to my knowledge. So don't put f'n keystrokes on my fingers! OK?!

DLR-1977