Favorite VH Album

Fuck
    Favorite VH Song

poundcake
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey everybody.
    I'm not usually one to write on here very often i like to watch, you might say.
    But i've got a few thoughts about whats taking so long at 5150.
    First of all, by the sound of Dave's mini-interviews that he's given over the last year, he's NEVER coming back to VH on a long term basis. I know from concert reviews he's in the shape of his life, and his voice has probably never been in better shape. And maybe he and Ed actually DO get along personally. And more of the fans want Dave but all of that doesn't matter. Dave is stuck in nostalgia. He wants to play all the old VH songs, he wants VH to be a nostalgia band. His set lists should give people the clue about why it hasn't worked.
    VH I, II, and Fair warning songs.
    Well, Ed will have none of that. He has said in interviews that he basically wants to show the world how good a player he is, not to us, but to casual fans. He wants a Led Zeppelin 4 type album; or a pink floyd 'wall' album. Dave is never going to be that type of collaborator for him.
    They've tried and tried some more. It's just NOT happening.
    As far as the cancer goes, thats not an issue.
    Alex? If he's sick I hope he recovers as soon as possible. But he's not the big hold up either. Even if alex was totally healthy, they need a singer. Dave is living in the past. So who can do it in the future?
    Sammy. No one else. I know a lot of people here hate that, but its true.
    A fourth singer? I hope to God al, ed, and mike don't try that, if they try, VH will be a laughing stock.
    Sammy is the only one. He is willing to venture into NEW territory. THAT'S what Ed wants, he doesnt need the scream of Dave.
    Sammy has said that if Ed, and Al apologize to him about the shit they and Daniels did to him, he would probably come back.
    It all comes down to pride. Will Eddie, with al being healthy, swallow his pride and say he's sorry to sammy for the percieved crap they gave sammy. When they do, i think things will happen.
    I'm sorry this is such a long post, but i had to say it.

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Going to send this to the Opinions Forum. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

03.29.15 @ 06:33 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Interesting thoughts.
    I personally believe that VH III WAS Eddie's shot at doing a "Zep IV" or "Wall" type of record.
    Hmmn.
    I guess we'll see.
    "I Got Myself a Brand New Oakland Scarf right here I say"

Super Duper Frontman YankeeRose's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:55 PM
    Liked 197 Times in 123 Posts

I agree that VH should get Sammy back. Good post let's rock! Let's hope that Sammy and VH re-unite next year. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Right Now you're reading my post!

I can't stand rap....people who can't sing do rap....you can sing rebellion as well as talk it....Hitler would have been in a rap band...

-- John Entwistle

2006 VHL Fantasy Hockey Champ!

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Sammy plays old-Sam, new-Sam, VH, and covers. He's not focused on any one thing, just as most established acts aren't. You can always expect a greatest hits with some new stuff set.

Bringing in Dave is going to VH's past, yet somehow the same with Sammy isn't... hmm. That's ridiculous.

Last Online

09.26.07 @ 02:38 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by MikeL:
    Bringing in Dave is going to VH's past, yet somehow the same with Sammy isn't... hmm. That's ridiculous.<hr></blockquote>

What I'm saying is that with his past few albums, Sammy has gone in different musical directions, and he could possibly create something fresh and different with Van Halen right now.
    "It's so damn hot... milk was a bad choice." --Ron Burgundy, Anchorman

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

That and he actually plays *gasp* SOLO SONGS on his solo tours.
    "Just once I'd like to do the right thing and not get punished for it."

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Dan Halen:

What I'm saying is that with his past few albums, Sammy has gone in different musical directions, and he could possibly create something fresh and different with Van Halen right now.
    <hr></blockquote>

There's no doubt Dave could do that, too. Dave's music has been much more diverse over the years than Sammy's. One can't really make the case that Dave doesn't try new things. You can argue that Dave hasn't tried anything new lately, but that isn't relevant to what he may do in the future.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Just curious, what different kinds of music has Dave done? I know that some of Sammy's recent material has been diverse.

[ November 09, 2001 at 10:57 AM: Message edited by: Dan Halen ]</p>

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Sammy hasn't anything that diverse on the last three albums, IMHO. They all have about the same flavor, and very more in quality than in content. Some ballads and some rockers, but nothing to far from the norm. We haven't seen the diversity that Sam brought to VH. All four of the Sam-VH albums sounded different to me. The 3 post-VH solo discs really seem to be built on one another. Maybe that's just a function of how quickly they came out?

Dave's always played around with different styles. You've got all the VH albums Dan, so I won't go into those. CFtH was a total departure. Skyscraper took him into a different sort of sound as well. He started mixing horn sections in on ALAE (which were marvelous). YFLM... it failed simply because it was such a change, or rather so many changes. There's a ton of different styles on there, some of which suit Dave and some that would have been better left in the vault. Some of his bluesier stuff like Sensible Shoes and Mississippi Power are really different from what someone might expect. Take a look at the two BOV1 tracks. Those are some badass tunes that are different than anything VH had done before. Everyone says DLR Band is a simple return to the VH style, but they miss the gems that are to be found in Little Texas and Going Places.

People around here have been conditioned to believe that Dave never gave up on trying the classic-VH sound, and can't do anything else. The truth is all in the recordings, though. Check'em out, and you might find something you enjoy. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I think the bottom line is that Eddie wants to move on and prove to everyone that Van Halen can still create great new music. Dave is stuck in the past, playing mostly VH songs in his concerts. The band has tried reuniting with Dave more than once, and it makes you think that Eddie probably got so fed up with trying that he just said forget it--it's not going to work. And if the rumor about Dave recording a new solo album is true, then that will show that he's accepted it, and he's going to move on. But will the new album sell as good or worse than his last album, DLR Band? We don't know that now. Sammy, on the other hand, has made three solid albums since leaving VH. His setlists aren't focused on VH material or anything else very old. At the Sammy show that I went to he must have played six songs from his new album. I agree that if Eddie and Alex apologize about the shit that they gave Sammy prior to the break-up, the Red Rocker may be back in Van Halen. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Something I find interesting is that I assume that most people that want Dave back want a return to the musical style of early VH; yes, there was variety there, but it was essentially an uptempo rock band. But frankly, that hard rock style is what Dave is least suited to now. His voice sounds best doing the slower numbers, and yet I don't imagine VH doing a lot of songs in that style. When he has to sing fast paced songs in an aggressive style, that's when I find that he gets out of his range.

The best songs on the DLR Band album are Going Places, Right Tool For the Job, Weekend With the Babysitter and the amazing Black Sand. Those aren't the type of songs I'd picture VH doing, yet it's on those tracks where Dave really shines. On the other hand, on the faster paced rockers like Slam Dunk, Blacklight, and Relentless he struggles.