Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

All of em
    Favorite VH Song

Impossible to name only one
    Last Online

01.08.17 @ 09:19 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I always saw the interview of Eddie and Alex talking about how DLR misbehaved and how trrible he acted at the awards and how they were embarrased when Beck was getting his award how Dave was doing his thing in the background. So what? Like Beck said, thats just old school Dave "in effect" and he didnt know why Eddie and Alex were making such a big deal about it. Its what people want to see. Nobody wants to see a kinder gentler, more mature Dave up there like Ed, Al and Mike are (i dunno why i keep including Mike). Thats what i like about Dave, atleast he didnt go too mellow on us. I think they are the ones who looked out of place and uncomfortable. I think most people would agree that out of the whole show, Dave is the one who stole the show that night.

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

They all looked uncomfortable. Even Dave. Ed, Al, and Mike must've felt like they were walking into a bad situation, and Dave probably thought his head may have been on the chopping block. The whole thing was just poorly thought out.

As far as the Dave stealing the show, ask yourself one question: would he have stolen it without the three men standing alongside him there? Nope. Dave would have never even been there.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

10.19.13 @ 05:44 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've got that sucker on tape, and yes, they look mighty uncomfortable..But not Dave... He was right where he needed to be...Next time you see that, just look...THE ENTIRE PLACE WAS ON ITS FEET AND SMILING. When's the last time that happened? Nuff said.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Depends on what day it is
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

No its not just you. DLR looked like he was having fun. Ed and Al looked like thieves in the night. Mike kinda looked like he wanted to have fun but he knew Ed would get pisssed if he did.

------------------
    "It's all over but the SHOUTING...
    I've come to take what's mine!"

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later, Atomic Pu
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Sure, Dave was having fun. (DUH!) He was milking the thing for all it was worth. The rest of the guys looked incredibly comfortable, as they should have - Dave hadn't been a part of VH for 12 years at that point. Then he came up there and just took over center stage like he never had left the band. Not a very diplomatic move, if you ask me. I love Dave, and I was happy as hell to see him up there with them, but it was highly inappropriate for the moment. The band had plenty of reason to look justifiably pissed. Did they look STUPID?
    NO. That's an extremely poor choice of a word.

------------------
    RIGHT NOW....The original Van Halen is working together somewhere....
    RIGHT NOW.... I think I better buy some new shorts to change into....
    "Kissing my ass won't do anything but give you bad breath." -sherman

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I thought they ALL looked uncomfortable, even Dave. But this just goes to show you what happens when MTV and Warner Brothers push for something...and all to sell a few copies of BOV1. I'm sure they had hoped to pressure the band into getting Dave back with the fiasco, and we all know what happened there. It's a shame the music business has become such a business. Just think, as bad as it was in '96, take a look at what MTV does NOW!

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I also have this on videotape. There was defiantly something WRONG with the whole thing. I remember watching it live and freaking out that it was happening. After watching it a few times through the same night, it just didn't feel right.

It was great when Dave and Ed gave each other a hug though...

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Beautiful Girls
    Last Online

04.12.16 @ 04:42 PM
    Liked 19 Times in 8 Posts

I think Dave went a little TOO far with the ad-libbing. Don't flame me for this, but I honestly wondered if he was a little hopped-up on speed or something that night. I mean, he could NOT stand still for 5 seconds! I would've preferred to see him make a couple jokes, then be cool about it when announcing Beck for the award.

I could tell the PRECISE moment that Ed wanted to turn and bolt off the stage. When Dave said something like "we have an announcement to make", Ed becomes very visibly uncomfortable. You can almost hear him thinking "oh shit, oh shit, oh shit, what is he gonna say, why are we doing this, this is all going to blow up in my face."

I know people are going to say "well, Dave was just being Dave." That's fine, but I've also seen Dave know when enough is enough, and that night it just seemed like he didn't know when to give it a rest.

------------------
    "Big double-take but 'ya keep on walkin', I'm in love..."
    --DLR, So This Is Love

"That's the thing about self-improvement. Don't get me wrong, I plan to get some soon"
    --DLR, Can't Get This Stuff No More

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 08:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Dave was being Dave, Mikey and Alex were laughing their asses off, and only Eddie (in his goofy ass overalls) really looked uncomfortable. Who could blame him? All those people giving you a standing ovation, with millions more watching on TV, and you know you're lying to each and every one of them....

I'd be fucking uncomfortable too.

------------------
    F.O.R.D. Country

Van HALEN is: Dave, Eddie, Mikey, Alex. Any questions?

Eat Us And Smile!!

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Perhaps Dave was 'hopped up' on something...

Think about it like this too- Dave was right where he was waiting to be for years--back on a stage with VH.

They got a standing ovation and Dave feeds on that shit and fell right into the Dave we either have loved or hated all these years.

It's what he was born to do and he did it. What did Ed, Al and Mike think was going to happen?

Dave is DAVE.

THE GREATEST FRONTMAN ON EARTH!!!!

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Great points by all! I too have it on tape and I too, witnessed it live.

When they all came on stage together..with the into.. then Dave coming on last..pointing to the band..the crowds stands and goes crazy..all was right in the world again!!!

That was a terrific, electrifying moment on rock history!

Watch the tape.
    All the guys are smiling and laughing ear to ear all the way through. Dave does jump in and interrupt Michael as Mike starts the award announcement, which Ed does react too, but Ed seems to know Dave is gonna take over. He's still smiling.(watch tape)

Dave does a damn smart Davomatic announcement and from the hip bop-a-apo lopa bop b. b. b. beck..! mc type announcement as Beck the winner that the fans seem to appreciate and "get".

The only thing that bothers me from watching is what he does "while" Beck is making "his" acceptance speech. As Beck is thanking his producers, writers etc.. as the list goes on,... Dave bobs his head to each word as in yada yada yada yada. And he does a little dance behind Beck.

If Dave wouldnt have been "directly" behind Beck and in the camera spotlight, we would have never heard a bad word of this!!

THAT, is what most people complained about.And I think that was a little too much.

As for wheither or not Dave was wired on something, I kinda hope so.

I'm a huge Dave fan, but I dont think Dave looked his best that night. He looked pale, his nose and eyes were red, and I cant stand those pants that were pulled up to his mid section, looked almost like Erkle. His hair was in that kinda between cuts look too.

After the show, the interview with Kurt Lowder, Dave had on that hat??? Not his look.

Over all, Dave won the show, Van Halen was the highlight hands down. It was clearly the biggest moment of the night.

It just shows what the fans want and what the potential of a reunion can bring. Dave was just so jacked up, he over did it a bit.

As for everyone being uncomfortable, if you read Daves book, the breakdown with Eddie started hours before the show, in the limo ride to the show things began to break down.

This was just Eddies excuse to use. It was a timely opportunity to execute the plan he already had in place with Gary Cherone. Remember, Dave asked Eddie about rumors of "another singer" before the show.

The MTV awards was not the reason the REAL Van Halen did not reunite. Dave didnt blow it. Dave just made it easier for Eddie to cut him out.

Big D

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Great points by all! I too have it on tape and I too, witnessed it live.

When they all came on stage together..with the into.. then Dave coming on last..pointing to the band..the crowds stands and goes crazy..all was right in the world again!!!

That was a terrific, electrifying moment on rock history!

Watch the tape.
    All the guys are smiling and laughing ear to ear all the way through. Dave does jump in and interrupt Michael as Mike starts the award announcement, which Ed does react too, but Ed seems to know Dave is gonna take over. He's still smiling.(watch tape)

Dave does a damn smart Davomatic announcement and from the hip bop-a-apo lopa bop b. b. b. beck..! mc type announcement as Beck the winner that the fans seem to appreciate and "get".

The only thing that bothers me from watching is what he does "while" Beck is making "his" acceptance speech. As Beck is thanking his producers, writers etc.. as the list goes on,... Dave bobs his head to each word as in yada yada yada yada. And he does a little dance behind Beck.

If Dave wouldnt have been "directly" behind Beck and in the camera spotlight, we would have never heard a bad word of this!!

THAT, is what most people complained about.And I think that was a little too much.

As for wheither or not Dave was wired on something, I kinda hope so.

I'm a huge Dave fan, but I dont think Dave looked his best that night. He looked pale, his nose and eyes were red, and I cant stand those pants that were pulled up to his mid section, looked almost like Erkle. His hair was in that kinda between cuts look too.

After the show, the interview with Kurt Lowder, Dave had on that hat??? Not his look.

Over all, Dave won the show, Van Halen was the highlight hands down. It was clearly the biggest moment of the night.

It just shows what the fans want and what the potential of a reunion can bring. Dave was just so jacked up, he over did it a bit.

As for everyone being uncomfortable, if you read Daves book, the breakdown with Eddie started hours before the show, in the limo ride to the show things began to break down.

This was just Eddies excuse to use. It was a timely opportunity to execute the plan he already had in place with Gary Cherone. Remember, Dave asked Eddie about rumors of "another singer" before the show.

The MTV awards was not the reason the REAL Van Halen did not reunite. Dave didnt blow it. Dave just made it easier for Eddie to cut him out.

Big D

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FORD:
    Eddie (in his goofy ass overalls)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are all of Dave's overalls goofy-ass too?

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Eddies overalls are his trade mark attire. Just like spandex for Dave.

Eddie will always be cool in overalls as long as he doesnt get as fat as a pig.

Give these guys credit, all of them are 40 years old or close to it. Dave looked awesome during the DLR Band tour. I work out 4 times a week and this guy puts me to shame. Eddie is smaller and thinner, but muscular and in shape. He may not work out like Dave, but he can pull it off!

Lay off the overalls! At least these guys dont have to wear trench coats like Vince Neil of Motley Crue because he weights about 190lbs. and his face looks like a pillow!

Be glad our band still looks healthy and can kick ass!!

Big D

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Roth no doubt was jacked that night...if you go back and view the tape notice how he leaves his mouth widely extended open as walks to the left side of the stage...unable to control his smile...also important to remember that the next night Roth goes on the Howard stern show in N.Y. and stern starts asking him questions about Valerie and wolfgang...I think this really pissed Eddie off...also just to speculate...Eddie has said in the past that Roth was messed up, and maybe if was cocaine, then they figure he would be a problem to take on tour with them. Dave stole the show that night but didn't do himself any favors by not thinking in diplomatic terms.

"He comes from nowhere and turns on his own"

------------------