Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 15 123411 ... LastLast
    On Fire
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My opinions here may and do piss a few off, particularily on the DLR/Sammy deabate, and yes I do exagerate from time to time, but not to cause shit, but more to point out that in my opinion there are things DLR can be criticised for just as Sammy and even Gary. However there is no dispute on the contribution DLR made, that stands on it's own. Yes in my 'opinion' DLR with VH had some cheesy songs too, and really I see nothing wrong with that, if those songs didn't have the success they did they wouldn't have cracked the main stream as they did with a song such as Jump. And you also have to remember, cheese of 20yrs ago is much different than cheese of today. I would also like to point out that when Jump first came out I remember Van Halen getting bashed into the ground over Jump and that they sold out blah blah blah...be interesting to know if some of those people are on this board today.

As far as DLR coming back goes, it is my hope that it is not just a nostalgia thing, I would hate a repeat of the KISS reunions of the last few years. I also really hope that DLR would be able to pull his head out of the 80's and progress to the next level with VH, that they as a band will be able to compromise on things, and DLR fans I am sorry but yes even perform a few Sammy era songs as that is part of the VH history, there are a few I think DLR could do quite well. But another CD with DLR I think has to progress forward, I wouldn't want to see them try and recreate what they did 20yrs ago, live with old songs fine, but make the new songs new, that is what I would want with DLR, an updated version so to speak.

But in the end I would like to hear something new from them with either DLR/Sammy or even #4...to me it is all Van Halen anyway...remember, that is to me.

When it comes to some of the responses to my opinions I would have to say that the name calling and personal bashing is rather imature, and uncalled for. Bash the opinion, not me. Believe it or not, I think the only one I have any respect for in that regard is FORD because usually he makes a damn valid point with regards to my opinon. Still would like to see his explanation of sheep Glenn has asked for. If liking and enjoying Van Halen music of any kind than all I have to say is baaaah!

For those who have stuck their neck out and shown support for my opinions I thank you, but I want it made clear I do not state them to cause shit, and in the future I will try and refrain from exageration, but, just as Sammy is open to bashing and criticism the season is also open on DLR [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Life is something that happens when your planning something else.

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Any Song Hagar Doesn't Sing
    Last Online

08.12.10 @ 07:15 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

With all the hate and discontent you've stirred up in the past, noone really cares about your attempt to make amends now. You babble too much. [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/sssh.gif[/img]
    "Tardy? I don't feel tardy!"

"I won't go down in history, but I will go down on your sister!" - DLR

Pride and Glory - the Packer Story!

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

POUND CAKE
    Last Online

05.08.08 @ 02:22 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Zadian, the people here will just have to get over it when DLR takes some criticism. He's not immune to it nor is he God. I don't directly bash any of the singers but I have been met with ridiculous hostility when giving a negative opinion about Dave. Not just on this board. Sometimes the way people act you'd think that you just insulted their mother instead of some rock star they don't even know. A while back I posted that I couldn't stand the album 1984. If some of the posters could have gotten a hold of me face to face I think I probably would have been shot. Don't ask me why any of them care what I think of 1984, they didn't record it, VH did! Anyway, hang in there.

On Fire
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>BigBadBrian With all the hate and discontent you've stirred up in the past, noone really cares about your attempt to make amends now. You babble too much. <hr></blockquote>

Not trying to make amends for anything, my opinion is mine [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Life is something that happens when your planning something else.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

02.20.07 @ 03:36 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Read Zadian's post where he lists songs calling them pieces of shit and described how Eddie must have gone nuts with Dave's garbage (or something to effect of that). If you really expected to not have hostility returned, you're less intelligent that I thought.

The simple reason that one feels jumped on more when they bash DLR is because more people disagree. Sammy bashes have quieter responses simply because while there are people who disagree, there are fewer of them and they are less passionate.

You did raise a couple of good points, Zabian. First off, I totally agree that the album should move forward. I loved EAT 'EM AND SMILE and DLR BAND, but they were very contrived. You can tell who exactly he's trying to sound like. And I feel those are his two most successful solo efforts, because when he tries to sound like something else (on the other albums, except maybe A LI'L AIN'T ENOUGH), it's not so good. I want a VH album with Dave to have a new sound. I thought ME WISE MAGIC was a step in the right direction. If they could have an album with songs like that and a few more commercial numbers, it would be awesome. I agree...I want the music to sound real. I don't want it to sound like a nostalgia trip. On this note, we totally agree.

But will I truly accept anything else? I feel Eddie is snubbing the fans by not doing anything and by also repeatedly hinting Dave will return and not delivering. He's my favorite singer. Plain and simple. I'll still buy something else, but I won't be very happy.

As for singing Sammy songs, Sammy didn't have a lot of respect for Van Halen's history when he joined. He even refused to sing JUMP or UNCHAINED at first (fans would be picked to come on stage and sing JUMP because he didn't want to...and I don't think they did UNCHAINED until the 1993 tour). But still, which songs could Dave handle if he were to sing a few? Interesting thread. I think I'll post a new topic for that.
    "I had a girl beating on my hotel door all night...She was screaming, crying. Finally, I said, 'What the hell'...and I let her out!"- DLR

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, Fair Warning, Diver Down, 1984, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Atomic Punk, Mean Street, Jump, Feels So Good, The Seventh Seal
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by ouncie33:
    Zadian, the people here will just have to get over it when DLR takes some criticism. He's not immune to it nor is he God.<hr></blockquote>

He ain't?!?!

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally quoted by Rikk:
    I thought ME WISE MAGIC was a step in the right direction. If they could have an album with songs like that and a few more commercial numbers, it would be awesome. I agree...I want the music to sound real. I don't want it to sound like a nostalgia trip. On this note, we totally agree.<hr></blockquote>

You get my vote, dude! [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    I'm a Dirty-Faced Kid... so could some cute female do me the favor and lick me clean, please?!<br /><br />"Nobody rules these streets at night but me... the ATOMIC PUNK!" - DLR (1978)<br /><br />"This must be just like living in paradise... and I don't wanna go home" - DLR (1988)<br /><br />"So put it off until judgment day... I bear the cross on judgment day" - Sammy Hagar (1991)<br /><br />Obey the DFK!<br /><br /><b>IF YOU'RE DFK... YOU'RE DFK 4 LIFE!</b>

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

10.27.05 @ 04:58 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

ZABIAN, I agree that you have every right to your opinions and I applaud your standing up for people with opinions everywhere. In my opinion, your opinions suck. Democracy is cool!
    Everybody wants some...

Last Online

09.26.07 @ 02:38 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

What good is a message board if everyone has the same opinion?
    "It's so damn hot... milk was a bad choice." --Ron Burgundy, Anchorman

On Fire
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Rikk: But will I truly accept anything else? I feel Eddie is snubbing the fans by not doing anything and by also repeatedly hinting Dave will return and not delivering. He's my favorite singer. Plain and simple. I'll still buy something else, but I won't be very happy.

<hr></blockquote>

Sorry, but have to kinda disagree in that Van Halen doesn't owe anybody anything. It is their band which they can do as they please however unpopular that may be. 1996 may have been misleading yes, but since Gary left they have said nothing publicly about Dave returning except for Eddie mentioning lawyers. MA's alledged comments, well don't know what to think of that. For the most part it has been the media and fans assuming too much I think. But I guess I amy be a little too linear in my thinking because my opinion is not to believe shit until it is on official site.

Also consider if you take away the internet the whole thing just kinda dissapears (as to what is going on with them). If they have decided to retire should they announce it? Mybe they are not yet ready too and not saying anything kinda leaves the door open to future possibilities.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Rikk: As for singing Sammy songs, Sammy didn't have a lot of respect for Van Halen's history when he joined. He even refused to sing JUMP or UNCHAINED at first (fans would be picked to come on stage and sing JUMP because he didn't want to...and I don't think they did UNCHAINED until the 1993 tour). But still, which songs could Dave handle if he were to sing a few? Interesting thread. I think I'll post a new topic for that.
    <hr></blockquote>

My thoughts were:

Summer Nights
    Poundcake
    Why Can't this Be Love
    Maybe even 'Dreams'

Now don't get in a tizzy as this is not intended as a slam, but I couldn't see Dave doing a song such as 'Right Now' as it is not his style lyrically or musically, not that he can't sing it, but given Dave's persona I question if he would be believeable singing a song such as that. But he is full of surprises.

Sammy didn't handle the old stuff well that is for certain, at least in his attitude. His intentions may have been genuine, but the whole past shouldn't have been ignored in a way such as he did, and the same 3 songs every tour was rather boring after a while. However I was fortunate to see them perform 'Unchained'...came right after Eddie's solo which was at least 20mins long. But I do hope that if Dave comes back (again not a slam) he takes a different approach than Sammy did and not have that type of attitude, I sure would have more respect for Dave, even he must realize he wasn't the only singer.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr> Rikk: You did raise a couple of good points, Zabian. First off, I totally agree that the album should move forward. I loved EAT 'EM AND SMILE and DLR BAND, but they were very contrived. You can tell who exactly he's trying to sound like. And I feel those are his two most successful solo efforts, because when he tries to sound like something else (on the other albums, except maybe A LI'L AIN'T ENOUGH), it's not so good. I want a VH album with Dave to have a new sound. I thought ME WISE MAGIC was a step in the right direction. If they could have an album with songs like that and a few more commercial numbers, it would be awesome. I agree...I want the music to sound real. I don't want it to sound like a nostalgia trip. On this note, we totally agree.

<hr></blockquote>

I liked Eat Em and Smile, but I lost interest after that. Although I did like 'Sensible Shoes' as it was (I thought) quite a departure for him.
    Although I didn't really like the two songs on BOVI I did really like the 'sound' of them if that makes sence. I thought the production was the best they had had in years, something that III failed at miserable and to me it sounded like a demo tape. But if they do get back together I hope they take the direction of the two songs on BOVI, particularily with the production sound, and hopefully have more time to work on the songs rather than a rush job for the BOVI songs.

Hope there is nothing too upsetting there [img]smile.gif[/img]

Last Online

09.04.17 @ 05:32 AM
    Liked 62 Times in 32 Posts

Whatever.
    "Gully, watch yourself. I am dead serious." - Brett Norton, Emperor of VHLinks.com

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:29 PM
    Liked 1,348 Times in 925 Posts

You say you didn't start the DLR..Cover Man.. to start sh*t, but then you've either took a course in "How to believe your own lies the Eddie Van Halen way" or you are just one naive individual. Yeah, plenty of people around here have negative things to say about all three singers, but the majority of those people say those things in the course of existing threads. Plus those same people also come here to celebrate Van Halen as well so they have plenty of good things to say. I just don't get that from your posts. Anytime I see a post from "Zadian" it seems as if it's got a bash towards David Lee Roth in it somewhere and I think a lot of other people feel the same way. So for you to be starting the thread you did, when the majority of people here don't start negative threads to begin with, yes, you were stirring up sh*t, whether you choose to believe it or not. Try contributing something positive to the site - go into Non-Music and join one of the many discussions there. Or go over to Music and tell us about some of your favourite bands. Head to Songs & Albums and tell us about songs and albums that you like. Bottom line is - don't be so damn negative all the time and certainly don't start negative threads. You're starting to remind me of another poster we had here who while he had some good things to say, seemed to have a personal mission to bash 3 into oblivion, and when people would call him on it he'd go and dig up a hundred other threads where people had said negative things about [b] to prove he wasn't the only one saying negative things about the album, but all it served to do was further alienate him from the other members and then things got ugly. I guess what I'm saying is there's nothing wrong with having opinions, but there is something wrong with being totally negative all the time.

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

VAN HALEN I
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by BigBadBrian:
    With all the hate and discontent you've stirred up in the past, noone really cares about your attempt to make amends now. You babble too much. [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/sssh.gif[/img] <hr></blockquote>

Exactly. Shut the fuck up Zadian, you are a fool! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/sssh.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Sammy Who?:

Exactly. Shut the fuck up Zadian, you are a fool! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/sssh.gif[/img]
    <hr></blockquote>

Glad to know we have Sammy Who? around to let us know who does and doesn't have the right to talk on this board. We might just let someone do something they shouldn't otherwise [img]tongue.gif[/img]
    "Just once I'd like to do the right thing and not get punished for it."

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 08:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Dan Halen:
    What good is a message board if everyone has the same opinion? <hr></blockquote>

True.... But enough about the pasture dump!
    Eat Us And Smile

Welcome back, Van HALEN!!!!

...It's the BAND and Dave is really the cat that can front VH. He sang his ASS off and was really cool. No cheese here guys, this is filet Mignon! - Steve Lukather's comment after witnessing a Van HALEN 2007 rehearsal

"What then is this bleating of sheep in my ears?"- 1 Samuel 15:14

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 08:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Zadian:
    My opinions here may and do piss a few off, particularily on the DLR/Sammy deabate, and yes I do exagerate from time to time,

NO ?!? [img]graemlins/scared.gif[/img]

but not to cause shit, but more to point out that in my opinion there are things DLR can be criticised for just as Sammy and even Gary.

Dave does what he wants to do musically. Sometimes, such as in the YFLM album (which I thought had a lot of great stuff personally) and his brief Vegas act, you lose when you take that gamble. But it's much better to take your chances as such than to sell out to trendiness, as Van Hagar did, or allow yourself to be used as a puppet, as Cherone did.

However there is no dispute on the contribution DLR made, that stands on it's own. Yes in my 'opinion' DLR with VH had some cheesy songs too, and really I see nothing wrong with that, if those songs didn't have the success they did they wouldn't have cracked the main stream as they did with a song such as Jump. And you also have to remember, cheese of 20yrs ago is much different than cheese of today.

Yes. 20 years ago, cheese was the Bee Gees, the Village People and the rest of that godawful disco bullshit. Today, it's the entire corporate fake boyband/silicone slut lip synching industry controlled shit music scene, which unfortunately has been given legitimacy by the likes of Rolling Stone, MTV, and former rock musicians such as Sting and AeroShit. In between those years, cheese referred to a sickening trend of allegedly hard rock and heavy metal bands writing sickeningly saccharine love songs to sell to a trendy audience.

I would also like to point out that when Jump first came out I remember Van Halen getting bashed into the ground over Jump and that they sold out blah blah blah...be interesting to know if some of those people are on this board today.

I will freely admit that my initial reaction to Jump was "what in fucking Hell???". It has never been one of my favorites, but I don't hate the song, like I do the useless synth solo that proceeds it, or the even wussier song "I'll Wait".

As far as DLR coming back goes, it is my hope that it is not just a nostalgia thing, I would hate a repeat of the KISS reunions of the last few years. I also really hope that DLR would be able to pull his head out of the 80's and progress to the next level with VH, that they as a band will be able to compromise on things,

What do you mean by next level? Cheese ballads are a thing of the past. I don't think they're doing a country album (though that could be interesting) What is needed on the airwaves today is Van HALEN style rock n roll. Because the few "rock" bands out there, the Pearl Jam and AIC clones, are losing the battle to the corporate crap because their shit is repetitive.

and DLR fans I am sorry but yes even perform a few Sammy era songs as that is part of the VH history, there are a few I think DLR could do quite well.

It's not gonna happen. And why should it? Did anybody ask Ozzy Osbourne to sing Ronnie Dio songs on the Black Sabbath tour? Does Peter Gabriel sing Phil Collins songs on stage? Van Hagar was a different band, and Dave shouldn't be obligated to their catalog. Especially since their "hits" were cheese. The possibility of Mikey singing a Van Hagar song has been raised, but if it was one of the cheese ballads, it would kill the whole vibe of the show. Now if Mikey wanted to sing "Judgment Day" or "5150", that could work. Or Dave could sing "Summer Nights" the way he wrote it....

But another CD with DLR I think has to progress forward, I wouldn't want to see them try and recreate what they did 20yrs ago, live with old songs fine, but make the new songs new, that is what I would want with DLR, an updated version so to speak.

If they make a new album, with new songs, it will be new. They aren't going to do rap, industrial, or whatever. It's gonna be Van HALEN. And I hope to God it's closer to Fair Warning or Van Halen I than it is to 1984.

But in the end I would like to hear something new from them with either DLR/Sammy or even #4...to me it is all Van Halen anyway...remember, that is to me.

The sales of VDIII (album & tour)proved you are in a very small minority. Even Eddie disagrees with you. Both in 1986 and 1997, he consistently said in interviews "it's a different band now." And he was right in saying so.

When it comes to some of the responses to my opinions I would have to say that the name calling and personal bashing is rather imature, and uncalled for. Bash the opinion, not me. Believe it or not, I think the only one I have any respect for in that regard is FORD because usually he makes a damn valid point with regards to my opinon.

Thanks..... I think(?)

I just speak the truth. I have no need for taking things to a personal level unless someone else has already done so (and God knows there has been enough of that lately.... if not so much here, than definitely elsewhere)

Still would like to see his explanation of sheep Glenn has asked for. If liking and enjoying Van Halen music of any kind than all I have to say is baaaah!

The sheep are those who wrongly assume that Eddie, or even Eddie & Alex "are" Van Halen, who believe every lie they tell, who assume Dave, Sammy, or whoever else to be in the wrong, even though all evidence says otherwise, and who believe, as one wooly individual on this very board once said "that Eddie with Ricky Martin would still be Van Halen". Van HALEN is Dave, Eddie, Mikey, and Alex. If you want to know why that is the case, listen to "I'm The One" very carefully. They could not have done that song with Sammy Hagar, Gary Cherone, or any other singer. And it's the same with Mean Street, Hot For Teacher, Unchained, etc. These are not fucking cookie cutter typical rock songs. These are the product of a one of a kind band. Just like Stairway to Heaven, Sympathy for The Devil, or Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds were.

For those who have stuck their neck out and shown support for my opinions I thank you, but I want it made clear I do not state them to cause shit, and in the future I will try and refrain from exageration, but, just as Sammy is open to bashing and criticism the season is also open on DLR [img]smile.gif[/img]

Just remember though... Dave never wrote a line like "I need a change, I need it quick. Before it makes me sick...."

[ November 27, 2001 at 03:07 PM: Message edited by: FORD ]</p>
    Eat Us And Smile

Welcome back, Van HALEN!!!!

...It's the BAND and Dave is really the cat that can front VH. He sang his ASS off and was really cool. No cheese here guys, this is filet Mignon! - Steve Lukather's comment after witnessing a Van HALEN 2007 rehearsal

"What then is this bleating of sheep in my ears?"- 1 Samuel 15:14