Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Romeo Delight
    Last Online

06.08.05 @ 08:27 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think that they have. I mean Eddy is the best of all time but he rarely is referred to as Eddy Van Halen, most people where I live just call him Van Halen, but everybody knows Jimmy Paige, or Ace Frehely. My point is that Van Halen gets a bad rap cause of their problems with the singer. Some of my friends think that Van Halen quit in 1985(in my opinion it did). Because its like putting a 1989 Civic engine in a 65 Mustang, sure it runs well, but it sounds like shit and will die. THe same thing happened Van Halen w/ Roth was a finely tuned 65 Mustang then the engine(Roth) left and Sammy replaced him. Some would say that Eddy is the engine, I would like to think of him more as the steering wheel, and the accelerator and the brakes cause he determines what musical direction the band takes. But I really do think they have gotten a bad rap beacuse of the lead singer stuff

------------------
    Heroes are remembered but legends never die, and Eddie you are a legend

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

If Eddie wasn't a legend by 1983 (and I think he was), he wasn't ever going to be. At some point, even if Dave had stayed, Van Halen would have experienced a decline in sales and interest. People say that 1984 sold 10 million and none of the Sam albums did that much business, but if Dave had stayed, every album wasn't going to be that big.

I think a large reason why Eddie is considered less of a legend that Hendrix or Page is merely because he missed the sixties/early seventies. I think a bulk of the media is of the opinion that it had all been done by the early seventies. Unfortunately, Van Halen will never be respected quite as highly in general as the Stones, the Beatles, Led Zep and Hendrix. Those bands are looked upon as groups that created rock and roll, while VH is looked upon as a band that played rock and roll; big difference in the minds of the media.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Streets
    Last Online

01.11.12 @ 06:57 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think VH's record sales may have been negatively affected (effected?) by their revolving door for lead singers. but as far as a long term affect (effect?) I think it is a big part of their image. They managed to stay successful with Dave and Sammy and I think that is a big part of what sets them apart from all the other classic hard rock bands.

Ed6150
    It sure hasn't helped them

------------------
    Everybody Wants Some !!!
    I Want Some Too !!!
    B C A G

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

When It's Love
    Last Online

11.22.16 @ 06:52 AM
    Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts

Without a doubt it has hurt the band Van Halen, but Eddie is still known as one of the greatest ever!

------------------
    Up Front Fanatics

I never met a man does'nt owe somebody somethin

Two Words for ya!.....Suck It!

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

A Different Kind of Truth
    Favorite VH Song

As Is
    Last Online

10.09.12 @ 02:50 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Most major bands have gone through line up changes with bitter press fall outs. The only exceptions I can think of are Zep and The Beatles, and even then Page/Plant and Lennon/McCartney fought it out after the bands ceased to exist.

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 08:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jonathan:
    Most major bands have gone through line up changes with bitter press fall outs. The only exceptions I can think of are Zep and The Beatles, and even then Page/Plant and Lennon/McCartney fought it out after the bands ceased to exist.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Huh? I don't remember Page and Plant doing all that much fighting. Obviously Zeppelin's breakup had nothing to do with an internal conflict, it was all John Bonham's death. Page and Plant almost immediately were working together again on a project called "XYZ band" with Chris Squire and Alan White of Yes (presumably the name was short for Ex Yes Zeppelin) which was eventually scrapped when Yes reunited for the 90125 album. Even so, Page and Plant continued to turn up on each other's solo albums and did the odd "Zeppelin" gigs (Live Aid, Atlantic records 40th birthday, Jason Bonham's wedding). The only thing resembling negativity that I can recall was when Page worked with a certain Plant wannabe singer (whose name we need not mention) and obviously that was resolved soon after when they did the "Unledded" tour. Even so, this was years after the Zep breakup.

------------------
    F.O.R.D. Country

Van HALEN is: Dave, Eddie, Mikey, Alex. Any questions?

Eat Us And Smile!!

Imperial Fascist Overlord Down In Flames's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

@
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

"Do you think that Van Halen's image has been tarnished by the LS problem?"

Yes.

Lead Synth is very destructive.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:57 AM
    Liked 555 Times in 251 Posts

YES

we will NEVER know what would have been...

------------------
    "Do you believe??
    Tell me you believe!"-Me Wise Magic

Eat us and Smile por favor~!

VH files--The truth IS out there..
    www.houseofhain.com

Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

07.07.13 @ 04:40 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I look at it a lot like hain. Go back to 1985 and look where the band was in the pantheon of bands. They were right at the top...and a lot of prime years left. Think of what might have been without the original break-up with Dave. Just think about where they would have gone after 1984. We're talking Great things...even greater than they are looked at now...which is really questioned after all the bullshit the past 15 years have brought.

Without a doubt...this band would have seen there best days (and may still) with Dave still at the helm. But who can really say for sure...

------------------
    Eat Us and Smile!!!!!
    Co-Founder

"I'm the One, the one you love. C'mon baby show your Love!!!! WWWoooooWWWW...Give it to me!!!"

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

As Is
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FORD:
    Huh? I don't remember Page and Plant doing all that much fighting.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Recently I mean. I thought it got pretty nasty when Page/Plant split but I don't really care for Zep so I didn't follow it closely. Plant threw a fair amount of vitriol at JPJ didn't he. "He's outside parking cars" at the RRHOF induction.

Anyway, I really mentioned Zep as an exception. A classic band who stuck together with one lineup their whole career is not common. Rush after their first album I guess, and ZZ Top.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

As Is
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

As for the original question. Up until 1996 absolutely not. Given the egos of DLR, SH and the VH brothers as well as the money involved and the intense pressure to stay successful, I think it's amazing they made 10 studio albums with only one line up change.

I much prefer the Roth-era but I just can't picture that lineup making it to 2000 unscathed. They got too big too quickly for that to happen. It's no different to any other walk of life, people want to move on and do different things, take on new challenges.

Since 1996 it's been completely fucked up of course but that has very little to do with lead singers IMO. VH3/Danniels tarnished their image severely, that's almost impossible to deny.

Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

07.07.13 @ 04:40 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I surely don't think that they would have made it to 2000, although you never know. What I would have been curious to see was their subsequent follow ups to 1984. I think they would have been huge...

------------------
    Eat Us and Smile!!!!!
    Co-Founder

"I'm the One, the one you love. C'mon baby show your Love!!!! WWWoooooWWWW...Give it to me!!!"

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

As Is
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by POJO_Risin:
    I surely don't think that they would have made it to 2000, although you never know. What I would have been curious to see was their subsequent follow ups to 1984. I think they would have been huge...
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree. I think a Roth-led followup to 1984 would have made 5150 look like VH3 commercially. But I stil think the longer album breaks would have inevitably led Dave down the solo career path soon after.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

07.09.17 @ 06:30 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts

If all goes well with the DLR/VH reunion no one will care about the disappointment of VH3. Sammy's inclusion into VH did not tarnish their legacy but set the band apart from the rest. Van Halen was able to enjoy multi-platinum success with a second vocalist. How many bands besides VH could have pulled that off? I think the legacy of VH is very much intact and will be added to with the impending reunion.