Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

1984 & 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Eruption
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I know Ed has switched from the Marshalls to the Peavey's. This is probably the single reason why I think it has changed. After listening to the current VH Unradio Broadcast "Got The Miracle Fingers",(Tokyo, 89' I was blown away with his Tone! It acurately captured ED's true warm Brown sound tone. The live sound was the best I heard of him on any boot. I recently got my hands on a boot from the 98' tour in Pittsburgh. Both cds' have awesome quality(A). BUt ed's sound on the Pittsburgh cd is horrible compared to the Tokyo cd. The pittsburgh cd sounds like ed just plugged in a cheap 25$ distortion pedal and played through his 5150 II. Just my opinion of course. ANybody else feel the same way? And where can I get my hands a CDR of "Got the miracle fingers"? Sounds awesome!

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Ed's tone have for sure changed. The fair warning tone ruled IMO. 5150 saw the start of the harmanizer being used and it sounded great. I didn't love the FUCK live tone but it was ok. Balance live tone was the best (for what Ed was doing) IMO, it had this almost single coil tone, very cool.

VH3 sounded like absolute shit to me. It was horrible. It sounded like Ed was playing a chainsaw, YUCK.
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Gotta agree with Homeunit. Ed's tone sucked ass on 3. It was terrible from start to finish. My favorite sounds from Ed's guitars per album are...
    1. VH 1 - what more can you say
    2. Fair Warning - everything ruled
    2. 1984 - dirty but clean
    3. 5150 - new polished sound and I like it
    4. FUCK - buzzy but I still like it
    5. Balance - a good balance [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
    Honorable mention goes to WACF. I liked it but nothing stood out and grabbed my attention sonically like the others did.
    I did not like VH II. It was too tinny and brassy. Not enough warmth for my ears. I didn't care for Diver Down. It sounded like a leftover guitar sound from Fair Warning. It wasn't big enough sounding. OU812's guitar sound was dead. Eddie needed a tune-up and we got that with FUCK.
    America's Team...The Green Bay Packers!<br />12 Championship Titles For The Packers And Counting...<br />"Depends What We Do". EVH 2001<br />VH R.I.P. 1978-1996

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

MCMLXXXIV
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I like most of Ed's guitar sounds (some more than other obviously) but to be honest my absolute favorite was the VHII record. The tone on that album has this softness/warmth to it that sounds really pleasing to my ears. Especially in "Dance the Night Away" and "Beautiful Girls."

I think it's safe to say that the DLR-era almost always had great guitar tone!

[img]smilies/thumb.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

VHII, FW, 1984, 5150, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

You want me to pick just one?
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 09:02 PM
    Liked 27 Times in 6 Posts

Damn, I LOVED Ed's tone on the 3 tour. Raw and bad-ass all the way. He finally got back to that attitude and fire he had from the Dave years. Awesome. I can't stand his watered down tone on most of the Sammy-era albums. Although, his tones on 5150 and Balance aren't too bad. Speaking of the 3 tour, it's always been amazing to me (and a total mystery for that matter) how his live tone was SO completely different (and as I said WAY better, IMO) than the horrible tone he had on the album. [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img]
    "One of the reasons I left Sabbath was because Van Halen was blowing us off the stage every night. It was embarrassing." -Ozzy Osbourne

"When I first heard "Runnin' With The Devil" on the radio, I was stunned and found myself dizzy, walking through my high school hallways thinking, "What was THAT?!"
    Eddie Van Halen was so innovative and kicked so much ass, and David Lee Roth was for a time indisputably the Greatest Man in America.
    If aliens came down and challenged us to a Battle of the Bands to decide the fate of Planet Earth, I would feel very confident putting early Van Halen forward as our champion." -Tom Morello

"A lot of bands mature, which means they get square; they start delivering messages. Hey, you got a message, use Western Union." -DLR

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wolfie3:
    Damn, I LOVED Ed's tone on the 3 tour. Raw and bad-ass all the way. He finally got back to that attitude and fire he had from the Dave years. Awesome. I can't stand his watered down tone on most of the Sammy-era albums. Although, his tones on 5150 and Balance aren't too bad. Speaking of the 3 tour, it's always been amazing to me (and a total mystery for that matter) how his live tone was SO completely different (and as I said WAY better, IMO) than the horrible tone he had on the album. [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I get a kick out these comments of how Ed got back to the early raw tone. If he did, that would be one thing, but the 3 tour wasn't anything like he'd previously used. It was thin, buzzy, saturated, compressed...... It sounded like he was playing a peice of shit guitar with high output pickups that were too close to the strings. His amp sounded like a peavey bandit with blown speakers. For additional noise, it sounded like he added a string of cheap distortion pedals with dead batteries in them. Further, it also sounded like he instructed the soundman to turn his mids to ten, his treble to 4, and his bass and resonance off.
    I think he was trying to be different, but he forgot that different doesn't always mean better.

That's just my opinion, and your not the only one who liked Ed's 3 tone, so don't think I'm hacking on you dude. I'm hacking on Ed's tone.
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Eruption
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 08:13 AM
    Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts

His sound on the 5150 tour was simply unbelievable!! Way better than the 5150 album. It was the perfect cross between the old Marshall tone and modern (at that time) technology. I believe he was still playing the same rig in 89 for the OU812 and Monsters of Rock tour.
    www.facebook.com/revery
    If you like cool, rock music, check out REVERY. We've put out two albums, and an EP. We were signed back in '06 and toured the US (our single Popstar Wedding was all over the radio back then). Our latest album, Adora De Phonic is available on Itunes, Amazon, etc.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think that Ed's sound changed from every album to the next. Plus, live; it did also. IT's all opinion anyway. I didn't mind VH3, which everyone seems to crap on. But, then again, I'm not too judgemental.
    DLRnazi's suck ASS.<br />Wanna trade boots? <a href="http://www.vhvault.com/~blu/" target="_blank">Go here for my list!</a>

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'll be half normal and half oddball here. I MUCH prefer the Peavey tone over the Marshall tone, with the exception of VH3 and its tour. The VH3 tour, to me, sounded like Ed left his wah pedal on the whole time. It was nasal, brittle, buzzy, WAY too distorted, and completely putrid.

I actually LIKE the OU812 tone.(oh no! gasp! [img]smilies/scared.gif[/img] ) Not the overall record sound, but the guitar I like a lot.

FUCK was decent, although that was more Soldano than anything else.

My favorite guitar tone of Ed's was on Balance, followed by 5150. 1984 was, to my ears, the best sound Ed got during the Dave era.

(now for the part that will anger people)

I think the early VH guitar sound is mushy, grating, and nasty. While the first record was great in its time, it does nothing for me now. I think VH2 is the flattest, dullest piece of crap sound Ed ever had. WACF sounds to me like a cheap practice amp with a $15 Radio Shack mic in front of it. Fair Warning is decent, and Diver Down is aural sandpaper.

Keep in mind, I PREFER a more processed sound. Also, I eat at Chi-Chi's every now and again, and my ass is surely "raw" a few hours afterwards, and that's not a good thing. (for me anyhow)

I just hope that VH3 is not indicative of the direction Ed's tone would be going now, because to my ears, that was the WORST sound he's had, even lower than Diver Down. Ed needs to learn that a LITTLE bit of reverb on SOMETHING isn't evil.
    Don't bark at me...<b>I</b> didn't name ya.

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Here's my opinon of Ed's guitar tones:

VHI: Raw, edgy, fly by the seat of your pants. Amazing.

VHII: Similar to VHI, but you can hear some differences. You can start to hear how it's moving towards the "brown sound."

WACF: I love this tone. It's fat, heavy, and drenching. VH never did a sound quite like it again.

Fair Warning: A masterpiece. The height of the brown sound, interplay between hollow, open sounds and dark, heavily distorted sounds. I wish VH could achieve this tone again.

Diver Down: Coming off their tightest album, FW, this is VH at their loosest. It's a very relaxed, laid-back tone, very cool in its own right.

1984: A "classic rock" sound. There's a lot of midrange in Ed's guitar, and it sounds great.

5150: I don't know whether it was the production or not, but the guitar tone sounded way too electronic and artificial.

OU812: One word to describe the tone: LAME.

FUCK: I don't know how to describe the tone on this one. It was, for the most part, a very clean sound, maybe a little too clean for my tastes.

Balance: Though most of the music sucked on this album, I really liked the tone. It sounded very mature and straightforward and to me was reminiscent of the brown sound.

Humans Being: Sounded a lot like the brown sound. Very dark. I liked this tone.

CGTSNM and MWM: I thought this was a wonderful tone. It was brighter-sounding than what VH has normally done, and it had a nice dampness to it (e.g. the intro of MWM).

VHIII: Shit. I don't know what Ed was trying to do, but the tone was just awful, almost unlistenable. It was worse than lame, it was offensive. I don't know how the tone got this way from the two Dave songs in 1996 to early 1998 when the album was released. Let's hope we never hear it again.

Favorite VH Album

VHII, FW, 1984, 5150, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

You want me to pick just one?
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 09:02 PM
    Liked 27 Times in 6 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by homeunit:

I get a kick out these comments of how Ed got back to the early raw tone. If he did, that would be one thing, but the 3 tour wasn't anything like he'd previously used. It was thin, buzzy, saturated, compressed...... It sounded like he was playing a peice of shit guitar with high output pickups that were too close to the strings. His amp sounded like a peavey bandit with blown speakers. For additional noise, it sounded like he added a string of cheap distortion pedals with dead batteries in them. Further, it also sounded like he instructed the soundman to turn his mids to ten, his treble to 4, and his bass and resonance off.
    I think he was trying to be different, but he forgot that different doesn't always mean better.

That's just my opinion, and your not the only one who liked Ed's 3 tone, so don't think I'm hacking on you dude. I'm hacking on Ed's tone.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sooo ...you DIDN'T like it? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

It's all good, my friend. Everybody's got different tastes. Although, I wasn't saying that his VH3 live tone was the EXACT same as he had in the early years. Clearly it wasn't. However, it was a lot closer to his early tone then it was from 5150 on. As was his "style" of play, i.e. the "attitude and fire", that I made reference to. Which we also hadn't seen out of Edward since the Dave-era. [img]smilies/thumb.gif[/img]
    "One of the reasons I left Sabbath was because Van Halen was blowing us off the stage every night. It was embarrassing." -Ozzy Osbourne

"When I first heard "Runnin' With The Devil" on the radio, I was stunned and found myself dizzy, walking through my high school hallways thinking, "What was THAT?!"
    Eddie Van Halen was so innovative and kicked so much ass, and David Lee Roth was for a time indisputably the Greatest Man in America.
    If aliens came down and challenged us to a Battle of the Bands to decide the fate of Planet Earth, I would feel very confident putting early Van Halen forward as our champion." -Tom Morello

"A lot of bands mature, which means they get square; they start delivering messages. Hey, you got a message, use Western Union." -DLR

On Fire
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The VHIII live sound is close to a tie with the Balance live sound to me, but Balance winning out by a slim margin. I liked the VHIII sound because I found it very raw sounding, better than Fair Warning which in my opinion wasn't a very good album anyway.

The 5150 live sound I found annoying as it was very heavely chorused, may have been the haronizers actually, was a little much for my liing. But if VHIII had just a small dash of those harmonizers...WHOA!!!!...Would have been best sound ever!

Now, VHI is obvious in it's ingenuity etc, but the sound I have always found rather tinny, not much bottom end, and VHII I thought was hollow. WACF I think, well, the VHIII album I think is better, Fair Warning just sounds like a demo tape, Diver Down was Dave's first solo project, and 1984 was there first entry into the pop market.

The assessments on the Sammy era sounds I pretty much agree with. Overall Balance sound just barely edging out the VHIII live sound for overall best 'Eddie Sound'.
    Life is something that happens when your planning something else.

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Zadian:
    The VHIII live sound is close to a tie with the Balance live sound to me, but Balance winning out by a slim margin. I liked the VHIII sound because I found it very raw sounding, better than Fair Warning which in my opinion wasn't a very good album anyway.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

MCMLXXXIV
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Zadian:
    Now, VHI is obvious in it's ingenuity etc, but the sound I have always found rather tinny, not much bottom end, and VHII I thought was hollow. WACF I think, well, the VHIII album I think is better, Fair Warning just sounds like a demo tape, Diver Down was Dave's first solo project, and 1984 was there first entry into the pop market.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I say a lot of things around here out of boredom that are designed to piss people off and I get a kick out of seeing people rip on me when they respond but this is light years ahead of anything I would even CONSIDER doing. Are you just fuckin' around here or are you actually serious?? I never thought I'd read this critique of VH on a VH forums board.

On Fire
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I say a lot of things around here out of boredom that are designed to piss people off and I get a kick out of seeing people rip on me when they respond but this is light years ahead of anything I would even CONSIDER doing. Are you just fuckin' around here or are you actually serious?? I never thought I'd read this critique of VH on a VH forums board.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes...am serious. But didn't know there are rules and guidelines that had to be folowed as it is the 'opinons' forum. If you want to sensor it cause it doesn't agree with your opinon perhaps the 'opinons' section should be removed.
    Life is something that happens when your planning something else.