Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

@
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by free adios:
    but lets not kid ourselves we will not tolerate anyone else, I just assume that they just break up rather than tarnish their legacy anymore. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm with you on that. (And I think VH is too. )

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> Cheers VH fans, your the best, because your band puts you through shit and you come out smelling like a rose everytime. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gotta agree with you there, too. A lot of people took a big shit on Halen when "3" came out and bombed. To a certain extent they were right to, IMO. The "musical chairs" when it came to the singer situation in '96, the bad production on "3," the bad songs on "3" , etc.

But the fans are still there (and here ). I don't believe VH will let us down this time.

------------------
    "Hey Down, my brotha, never ever forget your priorities... Beer first, trash second." - A life lesson, courtesy of track 5

Official Bartender Of VHForums

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Adios, man, I'm going to be honest with myself.

I liked 3.

Okay, so where does that put me in your equation?

------------------
    Fall in line, say the word...
    VHLinks Forum Moderator (Opinions)
    Up Front Fanatics!

Favorite VH Album

VH I, VH II, 1984, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Women In Love, I'm The One
    Last Online

12.08.17 @ 02:06 PM
    Liked 105 Times in 63 Posts

I'll admit this: I loved III. I hate pigeonholing Eddie into one style of music. He evolved. So did some of us fans along with him. He wanted to go in a different direction and experiment. Look at any band that has existed as long as VH as a band and they all went through that kind of period. Many people loved the Beatles stuff ca. 1964, but what if they would have stayed with that instead of putting out Revolver and Sgt. Pepper.

You're annoyed with those of us who still love whatever VH put out. Well I'm annoyed with those that would rather shit on the band that gave us all this great music, because they don't understand or want to understand the needs of the artist to grow and expand their art. Look at III as a composition with complex arrangements and compare it with VHI. It shows that Eddie is years better a musician than he was 20 years ago and he wanted to express it. I am all for that. I feel sorry for the non-open minded people that didn't allow Eddie to grow, just because it wasn't Dave with the band. If you didn't like it, because it didn't appeal to you, fine. But to say VH is only classic VH is naive and stubborn. To not try new things makes one a stale human being. I don't think any of us want VH to be a lame, stale band as some others have become ala Aerosmith.

------------------
    "Forked tongue in double-speak"

"Your iron lung's a bag of wind"

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

So This Is Love?
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

People have to try new things. 1981 can't be every year.I guess this is just another example of Van Halen fans and David Lee Roth fans. Van Halen fans respect everything they did and would never say anything bad.Maybe I am the only one that appreciates it all. I know a lot of you agree.It's 1978-20.... not 1978-1984.

------------------
    2711 Don't ever drink anything you can't see through.

Favorite VH Album

VH I, VH II, 1984, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

AMEN, GGB!!!!!

BTW, your location says Boston. We're you familiar with Extreme and Cherone before Gary was in VH. I live in Nebraska and have to go out to the internet and find my VH news. I am also a huge fan of Extreme and have visited the Cherone sites. Boston seems to me to be a fairly close knit musical community and heavily supports their own. Were/are you a fan of Extreme?

------------------

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Well, here's my take.

I happen to think that Van Halen has been great on every album they've made, from Van Halen I to Van Halen III. You're welcome to your opinion, but you're wrong if you think that I like VH III for any other reason than the quality of the material. The songs on that album touched a chord in me, period.

I've never argued with anyone's right to like or dislike any Van Halen album, III included. It's not my right to say that someone who hates III has gathered that opinion by any means other than the listening experience.

It's of no consequence to me what anybody else thinks of III, I can respect them for their opinion as I hope they'd respect me for mine.

------------------
    The Michael Jordan of Van Halen websites!!!
    www.vhlinks.com

Hello Mr. Uppercut, how nice to have avoided you

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey Free....I think there are some decent tunes on 3. Am I happy that another singer was added and dropped from VH...of course not. Would I be happy if they got a 4th singer...hell no, but we know that is not happening.

Let me ask ya this....lets say Roth was back in 96 and he was the vocalist on 3...would you honestly say 3 still would suck? Cuz I am not sure if it was just Gary you didn't like or the bands playing also. Because I think you need to realize that the next Van Halen album will probably be somewhere in the middle of MWM, CGTSNM and material from 3.

------------------

Here's to your thin red line....MMMMMM I'm stepping over!

Favorite VH Album

VH I, VH II, 1984, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Glenn, I agree with you totally. I guess my point is that, its fine if you didn't like III. I do and don't care if anyone else does or not. I just can't stand it when some say VH was only VH with DLR and that is the only way they'll accept them. Just not true. Do I perfer VH with DLR. Absolutely! But do I like what VH did with Sammy Hagar and Gary Cherone. Absolutely! They all brought their own things to the table. Now, was each singer in VH yes. VH has existed for over 20+ years. Everyone can have their opinion of each incarnation of the band, but there are those that just criticize the music and are still living in the past, saying that VH should do this and that. Out of respect for the amazing musicians these guys are, give them a break. If VH brings in singer #4,5,6,7,8,9.....its still VH to me and I will listen to it all and decide to buy it or not. The rest of those people can miss out on the great music you know these guys will continue making.

------------------

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Okay I've had enough, is it just me or are alot of people on the links kidding themselves or what? People maybe even including myself give way to much credit to vh for may I say some shitty records. I mean vh111 brutal if your going to hold the band is such high regard than can we please be honest with ourselves. Yes we will accept a 4th lead singer, Yes I would sing if the band asked me {hypothetically} is this what you want from your favourite band, I say NO, I see the questions posted and I can't for the life of me understand some of these answers. I am a true Halen fan the real Halen with Dave!!!! With sammy they were Ok, But not the halen with the swagger that Dave gave them, they lost something and with Gary forget it. I feel cheated to even think that they can keep putting somebody in front of us and we will still enjoy them just the same, no way. I think that some peoples opinions are blinded by there love of the band, and to that I say sometimes I can understand, but lets not kid ourselves we will not tolerate anyone else, I just assume that they just break up rather than tarnish their legacy anymore.

I'm sorry, but I came home in bad mood and read some of the post's, Maybe I had to much to drink, but I have had enough, Cheers VH fans, your the best, because your band puts you through shit and you come out smelling like a rose everytime.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.17.14 @ 03:42 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

It's funny because when 1984 came out many VH fanatics I knew couldn't stand it. And they still don't like it today. In their minds, VH died after Diver Down. And Sammy and Gary made it even worse. Their opinions, of course.

My take? Couldn't stand VHIII, but loved the show. Seen all three versions many times. I just don't like Gary's voice and I thought the music was strange (though not entirely bad). My guess is VHIII will become a classic someday, in the vein of Fair Warning (my all-time fave).

TJ

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GirlGoneBad!:
    Van Halen fans respect everything they did and would never say anything bad.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's nuts. I'm a fan, and I don't respect everything they've done just because it was VH that did it. They fucked up in how they handled everything in 1996. Everything.

Last Online

09.04.17 @ 05:32 AM
    Liked 62 Times in 32 Posts

AMEN to that DIF!

------------------
    I'm a spark on the horizon.
    ...stayin' round here takes patience, it's like a full time occupation...

Favorite VH Album

VH I, VH II, 1984, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MikeL:
    That's nuts. I'm a fan, and I don't respect everything they've done just because it was VH that did it. They fucked up in how they handled everything in 1996. Everything.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am sure he was referring to everything musically....not business wise. I agree they fucked it up in 96. Again, you may not like III, but I think he's saying a true VH fan will not hammer on the guys because of the musical directions they take. They should be respected as the artists that they are. Prefer whatever you want, but over time VH (in all 3 versions) kicks any band out there today. Period. I would rather see Carrot Top front VH than have to sit through the Backdoor Boys!

------------------

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey Down...I agree, Roth VH isn't the only one but the best one.

As for 3, I was shocked when I heard the album for the first time. But I have to say that Year to the Day is one of the best tunes VH has done in a long time. From Afar is also cool. Ballot or the Bullet is a good song except for the chorus...same with One I Want...I would rather listen to most songs on 3 then Sammy's Can't Stop Loving You I have to admit that that tune is the absolute worst VH song ever. Well you said you liked Without You and that is probably because it is your basic cliche VH Sounded familiar didn't it? Although 3 definetly isn't there best work, there are some good tunes on there if you avoid comparing it to other VH. And aside from a few chorus changes that should have been done, Gary's writing abilities are pretty strong.

------------------

Here's to your thin red line....MMMMMM I'm stepping over!