Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Unchained
    Last Online

01.28.16 @ 01:53 PM
    Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

Someone posted the other day in reference to the comments Eddie made the other day about Jimmy Page several years back, about he was great in the studio on the albums, but played sloppy live. I know there will be those who argue that Eddie had his moments of sloppiness live, but maybe he feels exactly the same way about how Dave approaches the live show. After Sammy came on, the band seemed to play a lot cleaner, not such a rough in your face sound, and Sammy does sing the songs very close to exactly how they were recorded. As a guitar player, getting used to that cool overall live sound, would be tough to give up, as Dave is as much about the visual live, if not more, than the actual vocals.

I'm hoping to see Dave bring his strongest combination of vocal performance, yet still give everyone in the crowd that loves the kicks, jumps, swords and the rap, what they want to. I think he will also push Sammy to play some of his hardest edged setlists in memory.

It would be a great thing to me if Sammy and Dave going out is some kind of trial to see if they can get along, and for VH to see what they can do live. I have no doubts that both Dave and Sammy could go into the studio and put out killer music with VH again. As things are, here I'm talking health and age of the guys, if we get anything like a reunion at all, I think it would be with both guys, one album each, and one big tour. Hey, a guy can dream, can't he.

The music will always speak for itself, and I doubt if any of the guys care what critics say about them not being important anymore other than to us hard-core fans. Back in either the DLR or Sammy eras, no journalist would have had the bag to say that kind of shit, and now these fucking geeks with a license to slam on people are taking their shots. This tour will kick ass, and even if the only reunion we ever get is at the Rock and Roll HOF ceremony, it will show these fuckin' jack-offs what the real deal is. Any number of people that post on these sites could write much higher quality stuff than these fuckers. These writers can't go where David Lee Roth, Eddie Van Halen, Alex Van Halen, Michael Anthony, Sammy Hagar and Gary Cherone have been, and if they did, they'd wind up curled in the fetal position crying like a pussy. I'm starting to think Cameron Crowe is the only guy on earth who should write about music, mainly because he cares about it too.

We are fans of the greatest fucking rock band this planet has ever seen. Nothing can ever change that, and we should be thankful to have so much of their music in so many forms available to us. Two eras of studio music, the beginning of a 3rd era, bootleg audio and video out the ass going back to the earliest days of the band.

Any and everything we get from here on out from everyone involved in the band Van Halen, past, present and future, is just icing on what has to be the best cake ever. The Sammy and Dave tour will be great, and all parties will put out music again when it's time. It's what they do, and the main reason we even know who they are. We are just plain lucky they are all still with us. So many fans don't have the chance to hope for great things like we do. Anytime any of us gets the chance from here on out and by chance we get to meet one of them, let's let these guys know what they've meant to our lives, whether it be a thank you, a thumb's up, a pat on the back, or maybe even some tears of joy.

I raise my glass to the best band and the best fans in the land!
    John 3:16, Can You Dig It?

People, the 6 wings of the Mighty Van Halen will fly again! Can You Dig It?

You gotta give more than you take! Can You Dig it?

And underneath the arch, it turned into a march,
    and there He found a spark to set this fucker off!
    Set it off, set it off now children,set if off!

We are down the road! I Can Dig It! Can You?

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 03:10 AM
    Liked 1,482 Times in 904 Posts

Outstanding post! Very heartfelt with a few wishes. I hope Dave and Sammy can get along and put on a great performance. I would love for Eddie to get healthier, find his brother, get Mike and grab Dave or Sammy or both and start recording some great music. Then, go out on tour, gain some momentum back and kick the music industry in the ass once again. I know it's wishfull thinking but hey, a guy can dream can't he. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 08:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

You guys don't get it, do you?

Who the fuck wants a predictable performance that sounds just like the records?

If that's what you want, go watch Justin and his 4 butt buddies lip syncing on stage.

But it ain't rock n roll.

Rock n roll is defined by people like Little Richard. Elvis Presley. Jerry Lee Lewis. John Lennon. Mick Jagger. Pete Townsend & Keith Moon. Jimi Hendrix. Alice Cooper. David Bowie. Freddy Mercury. Johnny Rotten. David Lee Roth....

Why?

Because they were unpredictable on stage. Because they didn't stick to any goddamn script. Because they realized that the performance was as important on stage as the music.

Why was Van HALEN better than most at this?

Because they had BOTH the unpredictable performer AND the best guitarist of his generation. The combination was unbeatable. And Sammy, for all his success with Montrose and on his own, just couldn't compete with that.

Who the fuck could?
    Eat Us And Smile

Welcome back, Van HALEN!!!!

...It's the BAND and Dave is really the cat that can front VH. He sang his ASS off and was really cool. No cheese here guys, this is filet Mignon! - Steve Lukather's comment after witnessing a Van HALEN 2007 rehearsal

"What then is this bleating of sheep in my ears?"- 1 Samuel 15:14

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I'd like to hear some examples of just how unpredictable on stage David Lee Roth is. I've seen him and his tribute band 3 times now. The only unpredictable moments came in the third show. Dave gave the deaf interpreter some play. That was Dave's doing, and it was entertaining. The fair's fireworks started going off just as Jump began. That was an accident, and was simply because Dave went a little too long. I'm not even sure he was aware of them until about 2/3 of the way through the song, and he didn't do anything differently because of them.

All that said, Dave's voice got better with each show. He didn't need Todd Jensen for last year's tour. If you saw him in '99 you know that Jensen picked up Dave's considerable amount of slack. Dave did fine on his own (the backing vocals sucked in '01) the last time around.

I've seen Sammy 3 times now as well. Balance, MtM, and Ten-13. The Balance show started with a treat. The monks from the album happened to be in town for a show of their own. Sammy came out early and announced that they had some special guests that'd be opening the show. The monks did the beginning of 7th Seal, and the band came out. The monks looked a little stunned at the great reaction they got. One of the younger ones hung out on Mike's side of the stage all night.

Sammy knows how to work a crowd. During Top of The World, one of those huge beach balls made it to the stage. Every other time I've seen that happen at a show one of the band members just kicks it back out to the audience. Sam grabbed it and rolled back on top of it while singing. Didn't miss a note, and it fit the song just perfectly. He took something that is just another concert thing and made it memorable.

The MtM show was characterized by Sam having to wear a tail for the first time in ages. For some reason his wireless wouldn't work in the theater. He had fun with it, even when it popped loose once or twice. He and the band played for a long time, and had a fun jam session at the end of the show.

I didn't see the RV tour. The first show was supposed to be in Louisville, and at an arena that held about 10,000. There was no way Sam was going to sell that. It was in conjunction with Derby Days, but that wasn't enough to move tickets. They'd only sold out the main floor, and barely that. The day before the show it was cancelled. Sam's people said it was because the stage equipment wasn't ready. That was a bunch of bull! The show had been booked for a long time, and Sam has done a whole lot of touring. They know how to schedule the production. I'm still pissed about that.

Ten-13 was a really unique show. Mona got sick before the show. She did her best to perform, but she just couldn't. There was some consternation on the band's part about what to do, and Sam was up there telling lame jokes and asking if anyone in the audience played bass. Everyone was all smiles. How often do you get to see a pro sweat like that? Sammy handled it really well. Vic tried playing bass, but only knew Led Zep tunes. That didn't last long. So Sam grabbed it, and played bass for a few songs. It was damn entertaining. Mona came back out and finished up the set. If that'd been Dave, the show would have been over.

Now, somebody needs to tell me about how unpredictable DLR is. Tell me which boots to listen to, or what you have seen with your own eyes. Otherwise FORD's post is just a bunch of bull.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

You know, MikeL, a few more posts like that and people will totally forget you prefer Dave!
    "Just once I'd like to do the right thing and not get punished for it."

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Everytime I think I'm out, MikeL drags me back!!!

Originally posted by FORD:
    Who the fuck wants a predictable performance that sounds just like the records?
    Then again, who wants to go watch the same performance year after year? Seems like that would fall under the definition of 'predictable' too. It sure seems like Dave's going to go another summer playing the same show, with virtually the same setlist, and you're going to tell me how unpredictable he is.

Rock n roll is defined by people like Little Richard. Elvis Presley. Jerry Lee Lewis. John Lennon. Mick Jagger. Pete Townsend & Keith Moon. Jimi Hendrix. Alice Cooper. David Bowie. Freddy Mercury. Johnny Rotten. David Lee Roth....

Why?

Because they were unpredictable on stage. Because they didn't stick to any goddamn script. Because they realized that the performance was as important on stage as the music.
    Bullshit! First of all, you're telling me that John Lennon defined rock and roll because of his stage unpredictability and his emphasis on performance? LMAO!! Nobody gives a shit about Lennon's stage legend, his entire legend is based around his brilliant ability to write and record songs. I grant you that if you mention Ozzy, the odd person might say "oh, isn't he the guy who bit the dove's head off?", or if you mentioned Alice Cooper the odd person might say "isn't he the guy who hanged himself onstage?", but NOBODY is going to say "John Lennon, isn't he the guy who shook his head from side to side while playing a Rickenbacker?" The only Lennon stage unpredictability took place in Hamburg and the earliest days of the Cavern club. After that, it was note by note, shake your ass for 25 minutes and get outta town routine for the Beatles. NONE of their legend came from their stage show. And since Lennon only played live a handful of times after leaving the Beatles, your point becomes even thinner.

Other artists on your list are suffer the same thing under close scrutiny. Take an artist like Jimi Hendrix; his way out live playing style that gets focused on is completely different from what you actually get if you take the time to listen to one of his studio albums. Sadly, Jimi is an artist that has had his legend built up to the point where it completely obscures the great songwriting talent that was there. And it's that songwriting that keeps his music out there so long after his death, not his ability to play the guitar between his legs.

A guy like Johnny Rotten, nobody gives a shit what he was like onstage. He's known for his rock and roll because Never Mind the Bollocks just happened to be at the right place at the right time. It's a great album, featuring great songs, but you can't tell me the success of it has a damn thing to do with Rotten's live performance.

It's become easy to focus on Keith Moon smashing a drum kit, because he wasn't a songwriter (at least not a good one). But it's the easy way out, and overlooks one of the most unique drumming talents of all time. Townshend may be known to some degree for smashing guitars, but essentially he's defined by his songs. A guitar smashing incident at the Goldhawk club is a pretty little black and white memory, but the songs Pete wrong are the million watt technicolor that defines his legend in the rock world.

Bottom line, when music survives as long as it does, the reason is the songs, which carry the artist right along with them. David Lee Roth isn't known as a great rock and roller because he could do the splits off the drum riser, he's known as a great rock and roller because he had a stunning ability to write great lyrics and to sing them with conviction. Live, he's a preparer; he doesn't take chances like you might want to believe. If he wanted to, he's got a huge catalogue of material that he could pick and choose from at will, and yet here he is sticking to the same set of songs show after show, year after year. Where's the unpredictability in that? If he is so unpredictable, why does he always fall back on the same stage lines he's been using for 20 years?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 01:49 AM
    Liked 11,581 Times in 4,936 Posts

I thought it was pretty much a well known fact that most of the VH tours with Dave were pretty well scripted beforehand by all the boys. So while VH liked to have the air of being a totally spontaneous band live, in reality they really weren't. The set lists hardly deviated on tour, they did the same songs night in and night out, Dave used the same raps a lot of the time, same stories. While all that shit was cool and fun to watch, I wouldn't say it was that spontaenous. In fact, it wasn't at all. As close as the band got to being really unpredictable were the jams between Ed and Al and of course Ed's playing deviated night to night.

I totally agree with you Glenn. John Lennon's legend as a rockstar has nothing to do with his live performances, as most of the Beatle live stuff is pretty sterile, and nothing more than regurgitating the records live. John Lennon's mystique comes from his songwriting and his individuality as an artist, NOT as a performer.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later, Atomic Pu
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

"....hey Pal, I'm gonna fuck your girlfriend!!"

"...Fuck the rest of the concert, let's all go across the street and get DRUNK!!!"

"I had this one chick...she was kickin and screamin and poundin' at my door...til 5:30, maybe 6:00 this morning...finally, I said Fuck it, and let her out!..."

"...oh, man...I forgot the lyrics...."

"..hey, baby - don't stick your tongue out at me unless you intend to use it!!"

"....Al's room...sounded like someone trying to kickstart a 747 in there...I woke up this morning and she was leavin'...she LOOKED like a 747!!!!....."

"...what is ....what is that?..is that a BRA on the stage?? Eddie, is that VALERIE'S???......"

Yup. TOTALLY unpredictable.
    [img]graemlins/sssh.gif[/img]
    Amazing. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Webmaster/Graphic Artist Top Timmy's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

10.28.16 @ 08:45 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quiz time!

Who's more predictable...FORD, or David Lee Roth? [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    Webmaster/Graphic Artist
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Originally posted by Top Timmy:
    Quiz time!

Who's more predictable...FORD, or David Lee Roth? [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    Ford!!

For every good post he makes, he makes 50 clusterfuckleginmouth posts, that he doesn't (have the balls to) respond to.
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Last Online

09.23.12 @ 09:12 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

FORD, I think you missed Warhead's point entirely. What he was saying had little or nothing to do with your response.

Great post Warhead!

Last Online

10.29.09 @ 12:50 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by Top Timmy:
    Quiz time!

Who ever gets this question wrong will be featured in VHLinks.com's newest section called "Moron of the Month".
    CHICAGO WHITE SOX - 2005 WORLD CHAMPIONS

The Chicago White Sox (1901-present) - The Original SOX - Proof

The Boston Americans (1901)
    The Boston Somersets (1902)
    The Boston Pilgrims (1903-1906)
    The Boston Red Sox (1907-present) - Proof

The Pilgrims/Americans/Somersets whatever you want to call them, have NEVER displayed "SOX" anywhere on their caps, jerseys, or merchandise, therefore they shouldn't be referred to as such. However, the White Sox have used "SOX" since 1912.

The SOX are in Chicago...we just allow the Pilgrims/Americans/Somersets to use the name.

2007 Fantasy Football Champion

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

I have no problem with the idea of FORD's post. The thing about Dave live that bothers me is that this is a guy who can, or at least in the day could, rip off on a tangent rap about any and everything while doing an interview, but chose to use the same stuff, rap and stories night to night with little variation, and it continues to a point to this day.

If I go see Eddie live, I want to see him play most of the riffs and chord sequences with little variation. If he chooses to change up or add a fill here and there, or mix up a solo like say on 5150 on Live Without a Net, I totally dig it. As I've said before, Eddie has to pick and choose what he will play live on anything that he has layered in the studio, and that in itself lends to the idea that you don't know exactly how he might handle a new song live until you've seen him on that tour or heard a recent boot.

Some of the coolest thing VH ever did with Dave were the breakdowns where he would do some cool bluesy rap, the heartbeat stuff on Romeo and excellent bluesy part of "Light Up the Sky", the shoobie doo wah's on I'm the One, the spoken parts of Mean Streets and Ain't Talkin''Bout Love. I'd love to see this Brian guy just sit there and riff like Eddie would and while James and Ray hold down the fort, Dave goes into some of that cool shit, instead of "I'm gonna fuck your girlfriend" or that stuff. I know he has it in him. Let the shit loose, loose on us die-hard fans who are givin' up the hard-earned coin to see something we ain't expectin'.

I want to see the King Jungle Stud take it to the next level, go back to the edge and look down, and freak us out like he did on each and every record he ever put out with VH. I don't want to see the same exact setlist as I have the last 2 Dave tours, and hear the same raps and stories. If Dave wants to pay tribute to the VH music, I'd love for him to pay attention to a greater part of it if this guitar player is up to the task. I want the guy who wrote in his book about giving the fans their money's worth to do just that. If I want to see the same act every night, I'll start going to the local Little Theatre and watch plays and shit. But I ain't doin that, I'm going to a rock and roll show, and I want it to be as much of a rush as anything I pay 75 bucks for. I want to see the freewheelin' toastmaster general go balls to the wall, no script, no rehashed material, and if we wind up in a big trainwreck,
    so fucking be it! Fuck the light show, fuck the time constraints of keeping a show a certain length and be willing to go into any song at any time. Yeah it's scary, but that's the funnest part of it. I want David Lee Roth to bring the thunder again and I'm pretty sure I am not alone!

Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire
    Last Online

08.27.15 @ 02:07 AM
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

Wow! 2 great posts by the same dude in the same thread! Word up, Warhead! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] The Seattle Mariners better watch out if Warhead comes to town. At the rate this guy is going, he'll surpass the 4 homers record in no time flat!

Back to your post...

I too would like to see Dave take it to the next level. I know many, many other Linkers and VH nuts would like to see him do this too. However, he's had every tour since 1985 to do so and he's chosen to remain confined within the same 4 walls of "showmanship" he's been doing since they all started. The only thing that I can see with this is that the DOTG'ers might call this "selling out".

Look at how the other bands from the VH-era have adapted or even taken it to the next level.

Aerosmith. Kiss. Sammy Hagar. The Stones.

These groups have all adapted in certain ways that many of us may or may not like. The point is, though, that they were not willing to just sit around and pretend it was still 1984.

OK...maybe KISS is, but they've come back to that which defined them. Now, they themselves have bastardized their legacy and rep. Scab players being pawned off as "original characters" while G&P continue to roll around in all the $$$. Whatever...back to Dave.

My opinion is Dave found a good thing back in the late 70's and tried to make it his own. He did a number on his image (who else would wear those "Yeti" snowboots in the middle of the summer? ) and he succeeded in adapting the "bad-ass" rap/attitude on stage. Now, he's realizing the creativity to become something bigger and better is no easy thing.

Look at the video for "Flex". Is that the best Dave can do today?

Can Dave adapt and take it to the next level? Maybe. Will he? No way. This "vintage Van Halen" set is all he has going for him. Why knock it when it's temporarily filling his bankbook? Dave is doing the only thing he knows how to do. He knows it, too. After all, once the Sam & Dave tour is done, Dave is done...unless Ralph decides to leave the Punks.
    "Once the final BAN has been completed I will ban myself." -OLO, March 21, 2002
    "The price of the steak sandwich over there is ridiculous!!" -Glenn, March 3, 2003
    "Hang on, I'll go ask everybody and be right back." -seenbad, March 11, 2003

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

I wouldn't go so far as to say Dave is through after this tour. There are other players out there, maybe this Brian Young guy, or Toshi? There is always the chance one of them or someone in the shadows we don't even know could work up some killer new music with Dave, but no one pushes Dave like Eddie did, and it's just a fact of life we are nearing the end of the line as far as extended interest of this same setlist and show Dave has been doing for the last couple of years. FUCK Jump, I wanna hear Doctor or Romeo before I hear prerecorded music of any type live.

I may seem to be ripping DLR a new one here, but that's not it at all. This is what I feel he is capable of, pulling off the show of shows, even if the whole setlist is classic VH, he can still mix it up for people who want to take in 2 shows in a row, so they don't see the same exact show each night. I can't fathom anyone wanting him to do any different. If this new guitar player was in the Punks, he knows most if not all of the classic VH catalog. Even if it was just a medley, I would like to hear Dave rip out some never or seldom played live tunes. If this kid took the time to learn all of Ed's licks and riffs, then surely Dave could refresh his memory on at least a verse or two from 4 or 5 classi album cuts.

Anyone here that wouldn't dig a medley of say, Drop Dead Legs, Light Up the Sky, House of Pain,Women in Love and On Fire, even if it was just a verse of each and a chorus,well, dig out your 45 singles or tune in to your radio station that plays just the hits, and crank it up. Some of, if not the best classic VH tunes have never been played on the radio, or heard by the casual VH fan.

I don't expect Dave to be like others, I expect him to put on a show at the level that he raised the bar to during the days when I was inspired to follow his music that he made with Van Halen. All I can say is if I go to the St Louis show and it's the same fucking setlist from the last 2 years, there's no amount of showmanship that can change the fact that I will like the crowd as a whole deserved at the least a few different tunes to be played, and some new stories to be told.

If Dave played the songs he feels he has to, then threw in 10 night to night mixers that he picked 5 from each night, and then a medley of 4 or 5 other non-radio classics, I would feel like I got my money's worth and more.

The same old setlist, with a Jack Daniels jack-off bit, the fuck your girlfriend bit, the I forgot the words bit, and Dave spankin' the monkey throughout the night ain't gonna cut it to blow the Red Rocker off the stage in any town, let alone St Louis. I want Dave to dig into the trick bag and break some fresh new shit on us, both with the setlist and his raps. Is that too much to ask for my money? Hell, I can put up with a repeat of the show part, if he would change the music part up from night to night.

I bucked up to see David Lee Roth sing the classic Van Halen songs, not rub his dick and jerk off with a whiskey bottle. If I wanted to see that kind of shit and it did anything for me, I'd be hanging out at the Blue Fucking Oyster. I ain't asking him to change, just change it up a little, big fucking difference the way I see it.