On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Long time lurker to the site and first time poster. First off, let me say that it's a great forum and a lot of fun to read the opinions of people who share the same passion for VH that I have had for over 20 years. This band truly changed my life and it's great to see so many other people feel the same way. Having said that, I must say that I am truly at my lowest ebb with the mighty Van Halen, a band that has given me so much enjoyment over the years.

As a bit of background, loved the band since the first album. As a guitar player, Eddie's playing was/is continues to be one of my greatest pleasures (audio speaking ; ) Saw them 3 times with Dave (WACF, Fair Warning, 1984), once with Sammy (F.U.C.K.). IMO, the band lost a lot of it's live lustre without Dave in his prime (important caveat there). I liked the Van Hagar music as much, but in a different way, less street smart attitude, but Hagar's higher range expanded the harmonic possibilities for Ed.

Despite their recent inactivity and the prior Cherone debacle, I always felt some pride that my fave band's legacy as true rock giants was safe until this summer. From recent comments made by both Same and Dave and all of the opinions, pictures, etc. shared on this site, it would appear that this tour is nothing more than a blatant nostalgia money grab and a months long audition while they both posture to see who can get back in for the real reunion cash cow. Now, to my friends, all of whom are passionate music fans, VanHalen has become a true soap opera and a real joke. How can I defend a band whose original lead singer is playing material with a tribute band guitarist, looking every bit like someone stuck in a pathetic time warp? How can I defend a band whose other notable singer has waffled from "Dave sucks as a performer" to "he was the best in the eighties," from "Eddie needs to apologize" to "let's go fishing in Cabo and work this out?"

At least I can give Sammy credit for retaining a semblance of a career. I've bought and enjoyed most of Dave's solo stuff, but that distinction puts me in a severe minority within the general cd buying public. Dave's immense ego in the face of such an obvious tailspin is a major disappointment to me and I think a large reason why I don't think a reunion with him could ever restore the magical musical chemistry that Eddie/he once had.

To use a sports analogy, being a fan of VH now is like being a Montreal Canadians or Pittsburgh Steelers fan. We spend our time recalling the glory days of Richard or Bradshaw, when the sad reality is the dynasty days are a decade or more in the rearview mirror and the team hasn't won a damn thing since.

In the last couple of years I've come to the sad realization that this type of music doesn't age very well in a live environment. The few bands that are doing well rely on spectacle (the Stones) or corporate compromise (Aerosmith). With that in mind, is it too much to ask for one last great album or new material. I don't care if it's Dave, Sammy or Wolfie, get some chemistry happening and end the 'musical' legacy on a high note.

I don't care if Sammy or Dave is better, if a song sucks because it has the word love in it, or about the relative merits of plugs vs. a piece, please Eddie just give us some last classic riffs so we as fans can hold our heads high and the VH legacy can finish the way it should.

"We came here to entertain you,
    Leaving now we aggravate you!"
    "Some men are born to greatness, some women have greatness thrust up in them."<br /> <br />Diamond Dave

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

hmmm...everybody wants some
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 966 Times in 387 Posts

Originally posted by Crazy from the Hemp:
    "We came here to entertain you,
    Leaving now we aggravate you!"
    but they're the ones, the ones we love, come on baby show your love!

JMJ
    [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    "you can't change JMJ, it's legendary"- Brett Norton 9/24/07

"It's the "JMJ" everyone had grown to love, man! Time to blow the roof off this place!"
    -Zachenfoot 2/23/10

"The links just look a little better with JMJ. Always has, always will." -Hurricane Halen 2/24/10

"I'm doin' the victory dance. Told ya I'd be back. Tell me ya missed me. Say it like ya mean it" - Blood and Fire. =VH= 2012. Welcome back boys :headband:

"I don't give a flying fuck about Motley Crue. I give about a half a fuck about Rush. I like Van Halen and don't give a flying fuck how many tickets they all sell. Any questions?"- jimmyw

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, of course
    Favorite VH Song

Too hard to choose.
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hemp, how can you malign both Dave fans AND Steelers fans in the same post? Let me tell you a football story.

One day in the fall of 1987 I sat in my dorm at the University of Miami and watched the Hurricanes go down 19-3 late in the third quarter. I gave up hope and left to go type a paper. A while later, my roommate came screaming into the room. Miami had gone ahead 26-19 with a few minutes to play. As we ran back up the stairs, we missed FSU score a touchdown, but saw the two point conversion fail. As happy as I was to see the Hurricanes win, I was disappointed because I'd given up hope and missed out on the great comeback.

So it is with Dave. You gotta have faith. I saw Dave in Raleigh last week. I've heard the Peoria show. He can front Van Halen. It can be like it was before. Will it take an army of personal trainers, a gaggle of vocal coaches and dozen chicks in spandex? Probably. And a host of chemicals you wouldn't use on a horse, too.

So what? They've got the money. They still have the talent. The only thing missing is the will. Eventually, everyone will come around. You just gotta believe.

Len

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

04.01.15 @ 02:33 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Crazy,
    Nice post. Let me give you a little ray of hope. The Steelers should be the favorite to go back to the Superbowl this year. The AFC does not look too strong this year and only Miami should pose a real threat.

KR
    If it will rock we will roll.

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

No disrespect intended to Steelers fans or Habs fans. I was just trying to draw a parallel to illustrate how frustrating it is to go from cheering on greatness to eagerly anticipating mediocrity. Although Kordell to Bradshaw, Cherone to DLR, hmm...

I agree that as a fan, you've gotta believe, but can anyone name a band out there who's been more neglectful of their fans in recent years? 4 years of inactivity, increasingly bizarre behavior and worst of all, silence. I believe when you choose to become a fan of a band or a sports team for that matter, you do so in large part because you are drawn to something that shares some commonality with your own personality / experiences. This is what makes VH fans so great. Living large and loud, just like the music. But lately we've become a disappointed lot and who can blame us? It's been 7 years since the band's done anything of musical significance. I remember during Dave's promotional blitzes for Eat em and Smile, he said staying a top in rock and roll was about the right haircut and a new pair of shoes. Well, it appears Diamond couldn't figure that out cos it's been the downward spiral ever since. In their prime, VH was the band that others emulated, their sound, their look, their attitude. How can anyone look to a pathetic piece of product like Roth's DVD or the vocal performance on his last release and see the spark of greatness lurking there?

Maybe it would be different if I was able to catch the current nostalgia trip live. It would be great to hear him actually hit some of those notes, if he actually can. I guess my pessimism comes from the belief that great music comes from great chemistry and in their currently dysfunctional states, I can't see anything inspired coming out of a Roth Reunion.

With reports that Eddie's relapsed into alcoholism, it seems almost ghoulish the way Hagar/Roth are sniffing around for a reunion again, especially in Hagar's case. It seemed all his troubles with Ed started once he got sober.

Anyway, good call on the Canes guy. I remember the same thing in reference, celebrating the Houston Oilers sure win over Buffalo, only to watch the Bills come roaring back in the 2nd half (doh!).
    "Some men are born to greatness, some women have greatness thrust up in them."<br /> <br />Diamond Dave

Favorite VH Album

Balance/Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

any that Mike played and sang
    Last Online

05.26.16 @ 06:55 PM
    Liked 182 Times in 99 Posts

Steelers the favorite to go to the superbowl this year ????? youve been smoking some of hemp's hemp.... [img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img]
    AKA Kevohman and KevohmanII

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Ice Cream Man
    Last Online

02.01.07 @ 05:44 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hey, the Steelers have got to at least make the playoffs. They can't go from 13-3 (and a loss in the AFC champ. to a crappy team in 1 year). Then again, Van Halen went from Balance (or Best of) to VH III, which is kind of metephorical, so maybe it can happen. Go Steelers!