Register
    Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I happened to watch some VH footage I had on tape from '96, and on the tape were MTV interviews with Eddie and Alex talking about the problems with Sam and Dave from that year.

One thing that kind of made me laugh was that Ed was talking about Sammy, and he said point blank that Sammy's work ethic sucked, and that was a big reason why he was not in the band anymore.

Hmmmmmm......5 or 6 years down the road now it sure doesn't look to me like Sammy has a poor work ethic. Sammy has put out 3 new studio albums since then, released a DVD, and toured regularly. In fact, I don't think Sam has even really taken much of a break from music in the last several years.

Eddie and Alex on the other hand, what has their work ethic produced in that time? One album and one tour.

I realize Ed has had some difficulties the last few years which has caused delays (... the health problems, not having a record deal, dropping management, the split with Gary), but at some point I would think he would pull himself up by his bootstraps and make something happen. You didn't see Sammy sit around and wait for things to happen when he left VH. He went out and secured a record deal, assembled a band, had a record out the next year and was touring. That to me is a work ethic.

Maybe Ed's heart just is not in music anymore, but I kind of doubt that. He seems like someone who will make music for the rest of his life, whether he is popular or not. I just wish he would get his ass in gear and make something happen, like Sammy has gone out and done.
    "Music Is The Best" - Frank Zappa

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

10.04.17 @ 08:41 PM
    Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts

Ed is a perfectionist, I think after VH III he is a little unsure of himself. He wants whatever he does to be great. There are a lot of things that have to come together before he puts out another record. The right people have to be in the right places, besides just the vocalist. Once things they come together I think they could be quite productive. If they don't get too old first. Ed has to realize he is also racing against Father Time.

But yeah, there is nothing wrong with Sammy's work ethic. I think at the time it sucked, only because he wasn't interested in the Twister project or BOV.
    Better use it up before it gets old!

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, FWYS
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hagar has done a lot of work since leaving VH. The only thing I will say, that is slightly in EVH'S defense, is that it is much easier to do a solo album than a group project. Things get done quicker in a dictatorship.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You guys have valid points. It is tougher for things to come together when working as a "group", as opposed to being a solo artist.

Like many others, I just get a little frustrated with the fact that I have not gotten to hear any new music from Eddie for quite some time. I suppose that is kind of selfish in a way, but that's just how I feel. There is plenty of other new music these days that I enjoy, but there is still nothing out there quite like the sound of Eddie's guitar.
    "Music Is The Best" - Frank Zappa

Watch the hair!!!
    Favorite VH Album

VH/Fair Warning/5150/F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

R.Delight/Unchain./5150/C.Wabo
    Last Online

07.22.09 @ 11:11 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Let's also not forget that VH was close to having another album completed 2-1/2 years ago when Gary left the band, and they also worked -- albeit briefly -- with DLR again in 2000. Plus, it may not only be EVH's health that has held things up but AVH's health (neck problems), too.
    "Seems the old folks who come up short were the pretty little kids who didn't want it, no." - Van Halen (1979)

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall." - Confucius

"The possibility that we may fail in the struggle should not deter us from supporting a cause we believe to be just." - Abraham Lincoln

Favorite VH Album

Balance, WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, Romeo Delight,
    Last Online

02.05.15 @ 12:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Ed said that Sam's work ethic sucked at a time when Sam was CERTIANLY distracted by the impeding birth of his daughter - a bit more important than singing about a Tornado. Ed listened to "someone" and used the opportunity to launch Sam.
    "There is a fine line between stupid and clever" - Nigel Tufnel

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

FAIR WARNING
    Favorite VH Song

SINNER\'S SWING
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

maybe the painful answer is that eddie van halen doesn't deserve to reap the rewards of any kind of reunion..........

reliable people had said that warner bros offered as much as $70M for a roth reunion/new album/ and world tour...............but eddie just couldn't reconcile that option. does he deserve anything now?? i hope rock history records his attitude correctly and credits him with the 'double demise' of one of the greatest rock bands........

it's gonna be sooooooo interesting as to how, if ever, VH is inducted into the rock hall of fame. they can't ignore VH forever but it would be so damn complicated i can't even imagine how they would do it...
    TX7081040

Last Online

12.01.17 @ 09:52 AM
    Liked 33 Times in 27 Posts

Originally posted by TX7081040:

reliable people had said that warner bros offered as much as $70M for a roth reunion/new album/ and world tour...............but eddie just couldn't reconcile that option.
    I guess Mikey isn't very reliable. He said that it was ROTH who turned down some big sum of money.
    Sometimes money isn't always a motivator.