Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Meanstreet
    Last Online

05.18.12 @ 09:24 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This thread is for the many, many Dave bashers that frequent this site. I know there are some people here that don't hate Dave. There's even a few that actually like him and enjoy what he's doing. This thread isn't directed at you folk; but you're welcome to participate.

On to the topic:

I'd like to know what it is that Dave did to the people here that make you hate him so much? Did he make good on his threat to fuck your girl friend? Did he not give you a tip when you waited on him? What is it that has made it impossible for him to please you?

"He should play more solo stuff. He hasn't been in Van Halen in 20 years." Folks his solo stuff was good, but it's his stint in Van Halen that was special. He co-wrote those songs. They're his songs. He has a right to play them. I want to hear them. If he tried to play 90% solo stuff he wouldn't draw nearly what a 99% VH setlist draws. Besides, Eddie has made it clear Van Halen has retired. This is the only way you'll hear those songs live again. You should be thanking him; not ripping him.

"His band is nothing but a glorified tribute band." What a slap in the face. If DLR was standing in front of you, would you say that to him? I bet 99.9% of all the Dave bashers here would beg him for an autograph and then come back here to bitch about how it didn't sound as good as VH in '74-'85.

"He's not talking enough between songs." It would be these same people that would bitch that he talks too much during the setlist.

"He's so immature. He performs a sex act with a bottle of JD. It was disgusting". That's Dave in your face. Don't like it? Don't go and see him play. He's been doing that bit since the ALAE tour. It's funny as hell. It's part of his shtick.

Then there's the "he's bald", or "he's gay" or whatever...

So what did he do to you guys? I want to hear it. Why can't he please you? Why do you constantly look for anything at all to rip on him for? Why can Saint Edward sit at 5150, not say a fucking word to the fans about anything for 3 years and then suddenly when the Sam and Dave tour is announced speak up about his health and that's just fine with you? Why does it seem you'd prefer Dave hung it up like Eddie has done than give you a kick ass rock show?

I just don't get it. Is it that hard to give the man a little respect? [img]graemlins/irked.gif[/img]

[ June 04, 2002, 07:45 PM: Message edited by: dj88 ]

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

01.07.15 @ 01:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

You seem to perceive every criticism of Dave as "bashing". My personal opinion is you run over to the DLRArmy and get all worked up and then come over here to vent. Contrary to what you believe, I see as much Sammy bashing as I do Dave.

I believe you are a tad overzealous in your defense of all things Dave. I am not real happy with the state of Dave. You read my post on what I find wrong with him. I think he should give up on trying to relive the 80's in his musical choices and his look. He's not 27 anymore. I think it is weak that he is playing 99% Van Halen songs on his solo tour. He has almost as much solo material as he does Van Halen material. Vai and Sheehan have stated they would play with Dave again. I think if there isn't going to do a VH reunion, he should get together with those guys and make a kick ass album. As much as you guys bag on Sammy, I have to give him credit for standing behind his solo stuff. My perception is Dave must think his solo albums are crap or else he would be playing some of it! (I wouldn't know because I haven't bought one of his albums since "Eat Em and Smile".) I know Dave has it in him to do something great. It seems he is happy just sticking to the script he wrote close to 25 years ago.

I think you are really just trying to be FORD's mini me. The difference is, when FORD dropped the B.S. (Especially his sheep catch phrases.) he was actually pretty sharp and knowledgeable. (As much as a pain in the ass he could sometimes be, I like him.) (Not that I dislike you at all! [img]smile.gif[/img] ) You just need to chill out a bit. Pitch in more than just running around defending Dave (and FORD).

[ June 04, 2002, 08:40 PM: Message edited by: ETRIGAN ]
    "Why behave in public if you're living on a playground?"

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

dj88, this is a pretty even keel place concerning hagar and roth...You make good posts. It seems like you're going out of your way to be offended by something. Why?

Put another way...in 10 years will you still care?

I like all three singers and all I know about them personally is that they sure don't care about what I'm doing right now...those bastages!! [img]tongue.gif[/img]
    Can't stop...addicted to the shindig...

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Meanstreet
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by ETRIGAN:
    My personal opinion is you run over to the DLRArmy and get all worked up and then come over here to vent.
    Obviously you don't know me very well because I hardly ever go to the Army. Too much flaming for my taste there.
    Contrary to what you believe, I see as much Sammy bashing as I do Dave.
    Not even close to the level of Dave bashing that goes on here.
    I believe you are a tad overzealous in your defense of all things Dave.
    When Dave turns out a turd, I call it a turd. I'm not a fan of YFLM or his latest DVD clips.
    I am not real happy with the state of Dave. You read my post on what I find wrong with him. I think he should give up on trying to relive the 80's in his musical choices and his look.
    I agree he shouldn't dye his hair anymore, but that's all I agree with in this statement.
    I think it is weak that he is playing 99% Van Halen songs on his solo tour. He has almost as much solo material as he does Van Halen material.
    You, Glenn and MikeL all don't like the fact that he's playing 99% VH material. Me, and my five friends that are going to the concert on the 8th are all excited about Dave's setlist. Point being for everyone out there that wants more solo material I bet there are twice as many that want the classics.
    Vai and Sheehan have stated they would play with Dave again. I think if there isn't going to do a VH reunion, he should get together with those guys and make a kick ass album.
    Then you'd get people ripping Dave that he's changing the line-up again. I think he should keep his current band intact.
    As much as you guys bag on Sammy,
    Name ONE post I've slammed Sammy. Name ONE.
    My perception is Dave must think his solo albums are crap or else he would be playing some of it! (I wouldn't know because I haven't bought one of his albums since "Eat Em and Smile".)
    And my perception is that Dave knows that classic Van Halen was special. Everything he and the brothers did after he left was just wasn't as good.
    I know Dave has it in him to do something great.
    You actually complimented Dave! [img]graemlins/scared.gif[/img] Wow.
    It seems he is happy just sticking to the script he wrote close to 25 years ago.
    He's playing what a lot of people want to hear. Dave gives us as close to a VH reunion sound as you can get.
    I think you are really just trying to be FORD's mini me.
    The difference is, when FORD dropped the B.S. (Especially his sheep catch phrases.) he was actually pretty sharp and knowledgeable.
    So what you're saying is that I'm a dumb FORD wannabe right? Thank you.
    (Not that I dislike you at all! [img]smile.gif[/img] )
    The love you have for me is so overwhelming...
    You just need to chill out a bit.
    I'm plenty chilled, thank you.
    Pitch in more than just running around defending Dave (and FORD).
    I'm not going to discuss what happened with FORD anymore at all with anyone. I made it clear how I feel about that. Just because I defended him doesn't mean I want to be him or that I agreed with everything he had to say. I disagreed with FORD more than I agreed with him. That doesn't even factor into why I defended him.

For you to come out and say that the difference between me and FORD is that he was pretty sharp and knowledgeable would really hurt if I cared in the slightest what your opinion of me was.

[ June 04, 2002, 09:12 PM: Message edited by: dj88 ]

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Meanstreet
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by SactoFan:
    dj88, this is a pretty even keel place concerning hagar and roth...You make good posts. It seems like you're going out of your way to be offended by something. Why?
    What set me off was this post in the Sam and Dave forum:

Originally posted by SeriousDooDoo:
    i basically said the same thing when it was announced. each one of these guys has made a huge mistake:

roth is alienating his own (dwindling) fan base because he looks like a sell-out. looks? fuck, he IS a sell-out. after all the slime ball shit he said about hagar, he's totally fucking lame to appear on the same card.

hagar looks like a fat idiot because he's promoting this tour as the "Heavyweight Champs of Rock" while touring with a guy who hasn't had a hit album since 1984. fuck, that was... off with my shoes... 18 years ago!!!!???? not to mention sammy hasn't seen the high-side of the record charts since he departed VH.

the whole thing stinks.

roth should go away and do... whatever it is that he does, in seclusion.

hagar should try on a little more humility, some low-cal dressing, and focus on writing/performing straight up rock music that he's so well-know for. there are millions of 25-55 year old fans who fucking HATE the shit blaring out of their car radios today and want something else.

Planet Us seems like a good start.
    Put another way...in 10 years will you still care?
    I hope not.

Last Online

09.26.07 @ 02:38 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I think it's alright that Dave is playing 99% Van Halen songs on this tour because it's featuring two of VH's ex-singers. The fans attending the shows are all going to be VH fans wanting to hear VH songs.

What I don't get is why on his past few tours he didn't play that much solo material. Isn't he proud of what he did from 1985 on? It's sad because his setlist for every show was almost always the same and he didn't even try to let people know that he wrote some good stuff without the VH brothers.
    "It's so damn hot... milk was a bad choice." --Ron Burgundy, Anchorman

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Originally posted by dj88:
    Not even close to the level of Dave bashing that goes on here.

It runs pretty even. I think people pay attention to things that spark their interest, and for you that's looking for wiffs of criticism towards DLR.

Point being for everyone out there that wants more solo material I bet there are twice as many that want the classics.

More solo stuff would be nice. My main criticism is that he's been doing the same damn show for 3 tours now. Why not toss in some other VH if that's all he cares to play? Would the tour stop if he played The Fullbug? Hell no! Sinner's Swing? Nope! People'd shit their pants if he pulled one of those out. Dave refuses to do it, for whatever reason.

You certainly have a liberal definition of Dave bashing, dj88. Much of what you think is a slam is simple constructive criticism. Why do I talk about Dave that way more than I do Sammy? Duh! It's because I much prefer Dave, and know he's capable of more than he's doing. Simple, isn't it?

You get all worked up about people talking about Dave, as though it's some sort of personal insult directed at you. It's just people talking! Would you prefer DLR be forgotten, or that everyone just say "YAY!"?

Dave's been a disappointment the last few years for me. That may not be the case for you, but why make an issue out of it being the case for me? Read some Sammy topics, and you'll find just as much "bashing" directed at him as there is at DLR.

Not everybody is cut out to be a cheerleader. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 11:22 AM
    Liked 11,598 Times in 4,945 Posts

As someone who loved Dave in VH and even his first few years as a solo artist, I must say he has become a total parody of himself and it's sad. From '81-'84 he was a god, could do no wrong, owned the stage, was the most charimastic frontman I've ever seen. Now he's just a goofy middle-aged guy still pretending he's 28, and it just comes off really fucking stupid for someone who is almost 50. I think Sammy does overly stupid shit too, but I guess it's all part of the act for these guys.

I think some of you are seriously stuck in 1984 and look at Dave the same way we all did back then, but how can you? He is way off his game now. From what we've seen of that DVD, I am embarrassed for the guy, it seems like Dave is so desperately trying to recapture what he was 18 years ago. Just let it go already and roll with the times.

So many Dave heads love the fact that he is doing only VH stuff live, but bitched endlessly and mocked when 3/4 of Van Halen had the nerve to do the same material with Gary Cherone??? Here's a hint, it's also a fucking joke to hear "Runnin' With The Devil" and "Hot For Teacher" without Ed, Mike, and Al. No disrespect to Brian Young, he's a great guy and a very, very good player, but he's not Ed, and just like you don't want to see the boys doing old VH without Dave, I don't want to hear Dave doing VH without the guys who helped make him a star. He should do his solo material, he has good stuff.

That's really all I have to say, I have no major problems with Dave, I just think he needs to re-evaluate what the hell he's doing with his career.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

01.07.15 @ 01:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

P.S. I feel Dave's best option would be to form a band where all the members are calling the shots. Not just himself.
    "Why behave in public if you're living on a playground?"

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Meanstreet
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by ETRIGAN:
    After re-reading my post I can see where I basically called you stupid. I apologize as that wasn't my intent.
    Apology accepted. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    What I meant was most of your posts seem to be spent either defending Dave or Ford.
    I only defend Dave when I hear certain catch phrases. Calling Dave and his band a tribute band has become in vogue here. As for my defending of FORD I'm not going to talk about that anymore.
    Are you saying Dave is worthless without the Bros?
    Nope. I'm saying his best work was with them though.
    He has an opportunity to show Van Halen fans that he has made some good music without the Brothers Van Halen. Instead he blows it by basically seeming like he is sitting around waiting for the call.
    Dave is a realist. He knows his time is over. He knows he'll never sell another platinum album again. He's decided he's going to be a nostalgia act. I don't fault him for that at all. I have no problem with nostalgia acts though. Some of you do I guess.
    I think Dave has a formula in his head. (Bleached blond, spandex pants, same ol lines (If it works once it will work a million times) cover tunes, (If it works once it will work a million times) and give everyone what they want.
    I think you're right. But he's not giving everyone what they want now or you wouldn't hear so much bitching or so many tribute band slams.
    I think he believes his audiences are gullible sheep.
    I don't. I think Dave believes that he can only draw now if he plays 99% VH tunes. He's probably right.
    As lame as some of Sammy's antics may come off, at least he isn't doing the same old crap he always has and he stands behind his solo work right along with the Van Halen work.
    I don't want to compare Dave and Sammy. It's apples and oranges really. From what I hear Sam is doing a great show. I'll find out this weekend.

Mike and Brett. You guys made some good points. I don't know why Dave's show hasn't changed much at all since '99. It would be nice if he could throw in some Dirty Movies etc... This probably goes back to what Etrigan was saying about Dave using a formula. I don't know.

Also, I don't look at Dave in the same light as I did when I was 15. He was a God to me then. He's a performer to me now. I think he's still a damn good performer. I think he's doing the right things now (except that lame DVD). I just hope his next musical project gets back towards the DLR Band CD sound and not the DVD techno crap.

Brett, you say that you don’t want to hear Eddie play classic VH without Dave and vice versa right? I look at it differently. Dave was at his best when he was in VH. That’s what he’ll be remembered for. What’s wrong with doing the songs live that made you famous? Eddie won’t have him back in VH so he should do only his solo stuff or retire? Come on. I have no problem with Eddie doing Roth era VH songs without Roth. It won’t sound right though will it? You can’t duplicate the human voice, but you can duplicate a guitar note. That’s the difference. That’s why it will always sound more like classic VH with Dave’s band than Eddie’s. Will it be as good as classic VH? Absolutely not. But it’ll be the closest thing you’ll get to that sound.

Eddie’s got just as much right to play Roth era songs as Dave does and I wouldn’t hold it against him if he does actually play the guitar for people again some day.

Oh, and thanks for getting my back LA. Nice to know I wasn't alone when I was thinking, "What's FORD got to do with this?"

[ June 05, 2002, 06:52 AM: Message edited by: dj88 ]

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I'd be interested to hear how you reconcile the nostalgia aspect with his band not being a tribute band. Dave is paying homage to early Van Halen at the exclusion of the rest of his career. The band has been assembled with that sole purpose in mind. His last two guitarists have come from the premier VH tribute band.

I think you're just taking a dislike to the word tribute, and attaching some stigma to it in the same way that some people do with the word nostalgia. How we feel about the words doesn't change the reality of the situation at all.

Favorite VH Album

The Classic 6 Pack
    Favorite VH Song

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Last Online

11.04.17 @ 06:01 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 65 Posts

Some points of view...

Dave is giving the fans what they want to hear

Yes and No... it's great to hear some of the songs that we haven't seen/heard performed live in years. Although many have had that opportunity 3 tours running. But since 85 and again in 96 the fans wanted to Dave material with Van Halen backing. We got a 2 song taste in 96. But that material is blatently void of Dave's current setlists. Also a vast majority of great solo material is absent. IMO the fans just don't want to hear 78-84 material + one solo.

Dave is winning over new young fans.

For those too young to have experienced original era VH it's an opportunity... ok good. But to a younger fan the absence of any new material that would spark their musical interest going forward. I figure they'll just go... cool that's why Dave was king. Maybe buy a 78-84 release but from there it's just a history lesson and nothing to sustain interest.

To an older fan, as myself, it's cool to see ole Nimrod again doing the classics. But hell I've got no interest in reliving my life 20 years ago. There's many artist it would be cool to hear again... but frankly life has moved on and my entertainment dollars are better invested in the present than the past.

I don't feel like I'm bashing Dave... critism maybe... more likely a discussion on a subject with a lot of varying opinions and associated spin with a touch of controversy.

Your milage may vary...
    Woke up this mornin, got Blue Moon in your eyes...
    http://www.myretrolounge.com

Eruption
    Light industrial complex on Eastern Seaboard
    Last Online

06.08.07 @ 12:27 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

for the record, dj, i don't hate roth. far from it. i respect what he did with VH and the awesome status in rock he once held.

but he's OVER. if you can't see it, you're completely blind. he's like a prize fighter that doesn't know when to quit. i truly feel sorry for the guy in a small way. to spew all that negative shit about sambo, and then come knocking on sam's door to do a tour is so fucking lame.

hagar is almost over. but to his credit, still has some zip. at 54, we should all be so lucky. yes, he's fat and looks like Bozo the Clown trippin on meth, but he sure is having some fun!

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Meanstreet
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by MikeL:
    I'd be interested to hear how you reconcile the nostalgia aspect with his band not being a tribute band. Dave is paying homage to early Van Halen at the exclusion of the rest of his career. The band has been assembled with that sole purpose in mind. His last two guitarists have come from the premier VH tribute band.
    First of all, you know as well as I do that when someone here calls Dave's band a tribute band it's not a term of endearment.

Second of all, how can you call his band a tribute band when he was one of the people in the band? He's paying tribute to himself? If you just have to label Dave's band I'd prefer you show him a little respect and call his band a nostalgia act.

Why is Dave doing nostalgia you ask? Dave simply has no choice right now. He wanted a reunion. Eddie won't work with him so he chooses to have his current band play the VH classics he co-wrote. Now he is playing in arena's instead of town festivals.

Seriousdoodoo. If anyone is over it's Eddie; not Dave. You may not allow yourself to enjoy the show that Sam and Dave are providing. That's your choice. I'm going to the show and I'm going to have a blast. That's what Dave's concerts are all about. Having fun. It's a shame you're going to miss out on the fun all because Dave and Sam are working together. They've put their differences aside in order to make money and give the fans a taste of what Eddie is denying them.

My hat is off to them.

Eruption
    Light industrial complex on Eastern Seaboard
    Last Online

06.08.07 @ 12:27 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

dj,

the discussion was about sam and dave. ed has nothing to do with it.

roth is history.

sam is nearing his end, but still has some life yet.

and i WILL be at the show.